Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As someone who really enjoyed Superstar Saga, I admit I passed over the sequels due to reasons (mainly financial), so I am looking forward to this LP. I will also support the notion that dear sweet Jesus Christ do the tutorials (at least in Superstar Saga) get stretched out and become annoying. It hurts the replayability of these games because you have to go through those tutorials all over again.

As for this game....goddamn, Toadsworth, you are a dick. Someone remind me, why does Peach keep him around again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Okay, I get the Toadsworth stuff is supposed to be funny, but dear lord was that part annoying and unnecessary. :ughh:

I mean, Toadsworth had his overprotective attitude of Peach in Superstar Saga, but it was limited to a few quick scenes (15 seconds tops, IIRC), not long drawn out ones like here that interrupted the gameplay.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, I'm also bummed about the hammers being character locked. They were a fun part about Superstar Saga and rather nicely integrated into gameplay, with each brother getting to do fun hammer stuff. Here, they are integrated mostly the same way, but...it feels like Baby Mario is the one who gets the most use out of the hammer in a non-battle scenario. Kind of a letdown.

As others have said, the localization is...a thing. All I can add to the Possessed Hammer Bros. localization is :ughh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

One thing that seems to be removed for this game are the "Incorrect Mario Brother Animations" that Superstar Saga had. Like, with the water spout thing, if you tried that with Luigi, he'd just barf up the water. Although, I will say I like that they slightly improved it here; you get to not only see how many water shots you have, but you can also control how much you load up. It's a nice improvement to a returning mechanic.

Also, I will miss your Hector avatar, ChaosArgate.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Off the top of my head, the only nods to Partners in Time in Brawl were the aforementioned song, and a couple of stickers such as Mario and Luigi with their baby versions (i.e., one adult + one baby), Stuffwell and Shroobs. Don't recall if there are any trophies based on stuff from this game, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Is there a reason you're avoiding Defense for the level up bonuses?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Eh, when I went through Superstar Saga, I dropped a few points in Defense mostly as insurance in case I royally hosed up something since my dodge timings are not the best either.

Also, it'd count as a bonus not spent on Stache, so I could get better roulette options for Stache on a future level up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

When you can open up with Copyflower, Trampoliners or any other item that gives you tons of hits, I hardly see defense as being all that important if I can just beef up whatever stat either: Boosts my item's attack power, boosts MY attack power, increases luck to hit harder.

Maybe its because I'm just here for the ride but there don't to be too many enemy attacks that are hard to dodge :shrug:
It may just be my memories of Superstar Saga, but some attacks there were not as dodgeable as I'd thought, or the timing was rather strict. Or I misread enemy tells (trust me, I could make a "kill your liver" drinking game out of those moments).

But yeah, the Bros Items in this game are crazy, with Trampoliners and Copy Flowers just being "Press character button to overkill opponent" items.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, this update made me look back on Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG, where Star Hill was a nice bonus world and a decent filler area (and somewhat connected to the plot, too) respectively. Here? I'm with you guys, this version of Star Hill was just dull. And to cap it off, we have a mid-boss with inflated health because....that counts as more challenging to the American market, I guess? :shrug:

What the hell, Nintendo?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

That...was awful. Not just by filler standards, but just plain overall awful from a narrative point. We are about, what, 70% through the game? And now is when we get this "Can we work as a team" kind of dilemmas that brings the plot to a screeching halt. UGH.

I just hope the story decides to stop spinning in place and actually get on with the plot now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wow. A side-scrolling shoot-em-up mini game....just so you can advance 5 more feet into the level. :ughh:

If there's anything this LP has shown, it has shown just why this entry in the M&L series is the boring black sheep of the family. I'd heard how lackluster this game was, but I didn't think it would be this bad.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I never knew it was possible to make the last leg before the final boss into a tedious, annoying chore.

But this game managed to do it. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah...I do not think I could tolerate a 30+ minute boss rushslog like that. This whole game had potential, but just failed to live up to the success of its predecessor. It started out interesting, but devolved into a boring repetitive chore by about the midpoint. Couple that with weak plot in areas and the "Make sure we take a gigantic poo poo all over Luigi because it's funny!" moments, and Partners in Time is just bad.

Thanks for everything, Chaos.

• Locked thread