Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game isn't bad, so much as it's just forgettable. The sense of plot progression is missing for reasons that should become extremely apparent as the LP goes on, and there's no overworld to explore. There's a hub area, which detracts significantly from the appeal of backtracking. Hell, there's really not much reason to backtrack at all in this game, since most of your powers find use only in the areas past when you get them.

That said, I really did like it. The 4-character gimmick was one I enjoyed (especially since you often end up controlling only 2 at a time,) the plot wasn't too terrible (and was honestly pretty great at parts,) and the battles were leagues better than in any other RPG series. It's just a shame that it feels so short, since you only ever really have 1 goal of note in the game until the end. Not as good as SS or BIS, but still a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

ChaosArgate posted:

Nah it's not just Superstar Saga. I'm currently going through Dream Team, I'm 25 or so hours in and the game just gave me a new tutorial. :suicide:

The problem isn't that there are new tutorials; the problem is that most of them are intuitive. Take Superstar Saga: things like the lightning and fire powers needed some explaining, but the hammers were self-explanatory, and the bros. attacks were almost all extremely obvious. More tutorial areas instead of outright hand-holding would make things much better.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Scaramouche posted:

I don't know if it's the same in the mushroom kingdom, but Cobalt-60 is a (synthetic) radioactive isotope of Cobalt. It is relatively dangerous, emitting Gamma radiation that is very difficult to shield against. It has a light blue glow and has many uses in radioactive medicine, mostly for diagnostic reasons, and not as a power source.

It's not really a spoiler to say that no, the cobalt in this game is just magic metal. Don't expect accurate science in this game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Re: The Hammer Bros: You can absolutely tell that the localization team was trying so hard, you know?

I don't find it funny now, but I can at least admit that it's amusing.

Unlike Stuffwell's schtick.

EDIT: Oh, a shroob haiku. I forgot:

Aliens are here
Toads are dying a lot now
Who cares? Save princess

Jen X fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 26, 2014

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Just out of curiosity, how many would've preferred that the localization team went with the standard all-caps monotone speech for robo-dialogue as opposed to what we got?

I like that they tried something different, even if it failed so spectacularly.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This is honestly the best possible thing they could have done with fawful in this game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

1) I didn't know the Mario DDR Mix existed, which is a shame, since it looks ridiculous.

2) There's a place to grind beans if my memory is correct. We haven't yet been to where I'm thinking of.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but when I was younger I got really creeped out by the facehugging shroom.

As for the final boss conversation: the music was good. That's about the only good part of that fight.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I spent hours grinding beans in this drat volcano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The shroob rex is even more directly a reference to the same, non-shroobed enemy, fought the exact same way, in superstar saga.

• Locked thread