Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

Echo Chamber posted:

I take it you're not a Futurama fan...

But Bender already got thrown out of the future friend car. I can't take anymore pain :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That was pretty bad. There were a couple of good jokes, but having FG style jokes in the Simpsons universe didn't work for me.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Yawgmoft posted:

E: I liked the Fred Flintstone bit.

Since The Cleveland Show is dead and Cosmos II was a big success AND Seth's latest movie bombed, maybe he can get back to the Flintstone reboot.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wouldn't complain about the dishwasher joke if it really wasn't Seth MacFarlane saying "I dare you to complain and become the very people I'm mocking here."

They did an okay job of hiding how they couldn't get Harry Shearer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Echo Chamber posted:

They did an okay job of hiding how they couldn't get Harry Shearer.

Was that his doing?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It was a little glaring how certain characters like Mr. Burns and Skinner had unvoiced cameos.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was that his doing?

Rich Appel said in an interview a day or two ago that Shearer "wasn't available" when they did the recording sessions. Take that as you will.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

There's a lot of people in this thread who seem to think that Seth writes every joke. I'd kind of be surprised to learn that he's even in the writer's room for most episodes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well, that sucked.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Reset Smith posted:

Well this episode was beautifully animated. Even the truly disgusting bits. Hey I found something nice to say.

That's what I found really striking at the end. The entire 10 minute fight sequence was animated really nice. And then it like smash cuts back to Quahog and it looked TERRIBLE in comparison to the previous 10 minutes.

I didn't like it much, some of the jokes really did get me though. The two versions of James Woods interacting was pretty funny. I am a little surprised they didn't do anything with Maggie and Stewie both being babies. They didn't interact at all

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Well that was terrible. Anyone who enjoyed it must have brain damage.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I didn't like it much, some of the jokes really did get me though. The two versions of James Woods interacting was pretty funny. I am a little surprised they didn't do anything with Maggie and Stewie both being babies. They didn't interact at all

Between both families alone there were still a lot of characters for an hour long episode. Factor in the weirdly long set-up for the crossover, the 10 minute fight scene, and the shoe-in of all the other characters...and yeah, it seems like there are some missed opportunities.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The animation was outstanding like others have said, and some of the jokes did make me laugh. My biggest takeaway was an even bigger appreciation for The Simpsons when viewed directly next to the ugly mean-spiritedness of Family Guy. What a massive tonal whiplash.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

robot roll call posted:

The animation was outstanding like others have said, and some of the jokes did make me laugh. My biggest takeaway was an even bigger appreciation for The Simpsons when viewed directly next to the ugly mean-spiritedness of Family Guy. What a massive tonal whiplash.

Shut up, Meg.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Haha people are pretty very bummed out that some people enjoy things that they, in fact, did NOT enjoy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Part of what soured me on the Simpsons was the Treehouse of Horror gag where they put Peter in the sea of HomerClones, because it just seemed like a petty and not funny thing to toss to a junior series.

So watching FG do it to Bob's Burgers is oddly... Fulfilling? Like its come full circle into mediocrity?

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

So mind-blowingly loving terrible. Some of the worst television I have ever watched.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Danzel Glovington posted:

So mind-blowingly loving terrible. Some of the worst television I have ever watched.

Ever see Allen Gregory?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Horrible. The only funny jokes were the emmy case and the James Woods gag.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

Haha people are pretty very bummed out that some people enjoy things that they, in fact, did NOT enjoy.

And vice versa.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Vakal posted:

We got the Critic crossover back then which is good enough for me.

That was actually 20 years ago.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ever see Allen Gregory?

Oh I remember a commercial for that, with Jonah Hill right? It did look like nonredeemable crap if memory serves, but I never saw an episode. Funny that was back when I liked Jonah Hill too, although I still can laugh at his shtick, he's drifted far from what endeared me to him in Superbad.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There were a surprising lack of moments when I thought "Yeah, I need a gif of this."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Echo Chamber posted:

There were a surprising lack of moments when I thought "Yeah, I need a gif of this."

What you don't want a gif of this?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Nobody else appreciated the jab that Peter gave Homer about strangling Bart all these years?

Everyone is so quick to jump up Family Guy's dick about being too over the top and unnecessary but nobody made a sound when it was pointed out that what The Simpsons have been portraying for years can be just as hosed up.

I haven't watched FG in years and I realize the show isn't what it used to be but good god drat you guys really came to the Internet to complain about a show you already know you don't like, huh? Cool.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

Macaluso posted:

I am a little surprised they didn't do anything with Maggie and Stewie both being babies. They didn't interact at all

I think that would have felt too similar to Brian-Santa's Little Helper. Plus, pairing Maggie with Chris was great.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

ShoogaSlim posted:

Nobody else appreciated the jab that Peter gave Homer about strangling Bart all these years?

Everyone is so quick to jump up Family Guy's dick about being too over the top and unnecessary but nobody made a sound when it was pointed out that what The Simpsons have been portraying for years can be just as hosed up.

They make in-jokes about Homer's abuse all the time on The Simpsons. They have been since the early seasons.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
This crossover was poo poo. I hope this puts the nail in the coffin because holy god that was terrible.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I kind of had a morbid curiosity about this, but it looks like it drew more on Family Guy than the Simpsons, and I would really rather have the bland mediocrity of the latter than the seriously hateful crudeness of the former.

At least Bob's Burgers starts in a week. Then the healing can begin, the true heir to the throne will have returned. :gbsmith:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

J-Spot posted:

There's a lot of people in this thread who seem to think that Seth writes every joke. I'd kind of be surprised to learn that he's even in the writer's room for most episodes.

Seth has been making movies for the last 3 or 4 years, so his presence on his cartoons of late probably doesn't go much beyond the voice acting.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
UPDATE: Something Awful thread full of joyless fuckers who hate fun, film at 11.

Last night was the most I'd laughed at either show in years, so it was a solid win as far as I'm concerned. Still probably not gonna watch the ready of the season though.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I found it to be enjoyable. I guess I don't expect as much from my animated cartoon programs as a lot of people do.

The only part I found to be truly uncomfortable was when Nelson was tied up by Stewie and.... yeah.

I laughed quite a bit. It had very good elements of both shows.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 29, 2014

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
This episode was like the bad fanfic people make of Star Trek for the internet staring members of the cast they pay a huge amount of money too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That was really bad, wow

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I figured I'd get a feel of goon reviews before I checked out the crossover and...yeah, I figured it would be bad.

Danzel Glovington posted:

Oh I remember a commercial for that, with Jonah Hill right? It did look like nonredeemable crap if memory serves, but I never saw an episode. Funny that was back when I liked Jonah Hill too, although I still can laugh at his shtick, he's drifted far from what endeared me to him in Superbad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Gregory

It went out of its way to be unfunny and overly offensive, almost as if Hill had some latent homophobia he was projecting through the show. I've never seen a show where literally no characters are likeable; Allen was a "mature" seven-year old rear end in a top hat who had wine and sushi in his school lunch, insisted on a sexual relationship with the school principal to the point of blackmail, and treated everyone like poo poo, his dad Richard was a flamboyantly gay rear end in a top hat who was incompetent at his job and also treated everyone like poo poo. Richard's partner Jeremy, who had the potential of being the most sympathetic of the three, is a straight rear end in a top hat who ditched his family and faked his sexuality to gold-dig off Richard, the wealth dwindling being a plot point in the show. It's revealed in one of the last episodes that "their" daughter Julie was adopted as a status symbol to say they rescued a child from a third-world country.

The worst part was that the writers bailed all three out of any comeuppance that may have redeemed the show at every opportunity.

Check out the episode list- to watch all seven episodes and not go "Whoa, dude, hang on..." at at least something depicted in the show would make you want to take a step back for a minute. The series literally ended (due to cancellation) on a rape joke. And by rape joke, I mean "Douchebag superintendent forces pretty, but abused by Allen Gregory, teacher into the principal's office to make her 'service' him, complete with unzipping sound effect."

The SA thread was myself, Martytoof, and a handful of others rageposting. I still want to know what farm animals FOX execs were doing dirty stuff with in the pics Jonah Hill had to get that show green-lit.

e- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd1cYwiGQbc

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 29, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's revealed in one of the last episodes that "their" daughter Julie

She was the only likable character and even she was turned to poo poo.

Feelings of rage rising! :argh:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

That was really bad, wow

This same statement has been posted in this thread dozens of times. Thanks for your contribution to this discussion on the internet. Really what would we have done without you? Thanks a lot man, drat. gently caress yeah.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

I honestly thought it was one of the better Simpsons episodes I've seen in a while.

Also, bear in mind that this episode was started almost 2 years ago, with different showrunners. The rest of the season may have a different feel with Appel/Callaghan in charge.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mister Kingdom posted:

She was the only likable character and even she was turned to poo poo.

Feelings of rage rising! :argh:

I almost want to buy archives to go back and read the thread.

The strange thing about Allen Gregory was I actually wouldn't have minded seeing the last 6 episodes (apparently there were 13 written) just to see how terrible they would've been, as opposed to Bob's Burgers (gave it two episodes and quit), Family Guy (which I revisit every now and then), or The Simpsons (which I flat gave up on a decade ago). It was like Hill wanted to be edgy and maybe "tackle the issues", only to whiff completely and roll out plots about a school dance where the couples must be same-sex or AG pushing the principal to the point where she's blackmailed into going on a date with him, which Allen handles with the studliness of a self-assured rapist (muttering in a sexy tone, "C'mon...say it...'Dinner at 7'.").

I'd venture to say Family Guy couldn't hit those levels of crap, but then again, MacFarlane could get to the point where he says "screw it" and starts making episodes out of arrogance which only he thinks are funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ShoogaSlim posted:

This same statement has been posted in this thread dozens of times. Thanks for your contribution to this discussion on the internet. Really what would we have done without you? Thanks a lot man, drat. gently caress yeah.

That was really bad, wow.

• Locked thread