Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Was that supposed to be a twist? The alternative is Annalise thinking her husband ran off with her carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Hahaha, no wonder Waitlist was so competent in the flashforwards.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
"Don't be."

Aaaaaaaand there's the ultimate twist.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

This episode really wasn't that satisfying. When they did the reveal of the skull bash, I found that I wasn't all that interested in who actually did it. Also it seems like all of this could have been squared away by calling the police and explaining self defense, I mean he was trying to kill that girl.

Also did both scandal and this show include the term "bitch-baby"?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

catspleen posted:

This episode really wasn't that satisfying. When they did the reveal of the skull bash, I found that I wasn't all that interested in who actually did it. Also it seems like all of this could have been squared away by calling the police and explaining self defense, I mean he was trying to kill that girl.

Also did both scandal and this show include the term "bitch-baby"?
It wasn't satisfying because Sam's killer was never a compelling mystery. Having 4 accomplices deflated it from the start. The mystery was seeing exactly how it went down, which was also not compelling. The surprises of the episode were the brief misdirections of Sam falling over the railing and Annalise looking like she wasn't in on the coverup.

The real mystery is Lila and that's not 100% resolved. I need to know which idiot thought stashing a body in the sorority water tank was a good plan.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
So I guess the logical assumption is that Annalise gave Wes instructions on how to dispose of the body and make it look credible?

Good lord, that was so satisfying. Loved all of it. Viola Davis was amazing in all of her scenes. She needs an award for this.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Was that supposed to be a twist? The alternative is Annalise thinking her husband ran off with her carpet.

I've been giggling about this idea since the first few episodes. Well, since we knew the rug was missing, so the first one? I always latch onto one silly thing on shows like this and end up laughing at weird moments and making the people watching the show with me confused. They all think I have some sort of secret Internet spoiler spot so when something I've decided is funny proves plot-relevant, I have to deal with them whining about me ruining the surprise. It was just funny, ok? Annalise got rugnapped!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I liked how the episode revealed the rest of the story, but I wasn't really feeling it until the final reveal with Annalise.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I've been watching this with my fiancee, and it's been a fun show but this episode felt kind of meh. The reused way too many scenes we've already seen before. It felt like a full quarter of the runtime was showing the same exact footage from the disposal / coverup plan. And the scene where Sam wakes up after falling over the railing was pretty ridiculous.

I'm guessing the "twist" is going to be that Sam didn't kill Lila.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I think the show comes back tonight. Yippie!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

courtney_beth posted:

I think the show comes back tonight. Yippie!

Confirmed, Canuckville got to see a new episode.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Loved the music in the last Act, love Marcia Gay Harden as the sister-in-law, ready for next week.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm still convinced Sam didn't kill that girl, but Evil Mastermind Rebecca is a horrible twist and the QB boyfriend is such a non-entity.

Holy poo poo is Annalise dumb to keep Sam's wedding ring. That is straining believability.

e: I guess Bonnie could have done it. Or Detective Adulterer in a Rube Goldberg plot to get Annalise out of the marriage.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 30, 2015

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
That ring is certainly going to come back.

Can't wait to see what a nightmare Marcia Gay will be as the sister-in-law. You just KNOW she's going to be a lawyer too.

Also, glad to see almost everyone on the same page now.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I was surprised to learn that there were only going to be 15 episodes for the first season, but I'm glad because they're not going to string this out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So we are all in agreement that Rebecca probably did actually kill that chick right?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dexo posted:

So we are all in agreement that Rebecca probably did actually kill that chick right?

I don't know, from a meta-perspective it seems to neat that Sam killed that girl. But Rebecca always seemed really friendly towards her in the flashbacks, so I don't know why she would have killed her.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Torrannor posted:

I don't know, from a meta-perspective it seems to neat that Sam killed that girl. But Rebecca always seemed really friendly towards her in the flashbacks, so I don't know why she would have killed her.

Didn't they also focus on the scratch marks above Wes's bed when Rebecca was in bed with him, and they also for no reason whatsoever keep bringing up the dude that used to live in Wes's apartment.

Unless that dude was the one who killed her, which would be pretty bad from a story telling perspective, it almost has to be Rebecca(Comedy Option, Sam's Sister did it).

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dexo posted:

That was certainly the message of this episode complete with the guilty client who suckered Annalise. I didn't like the blunt Rebecca stuff. The Lila mystery needs to be solved next week or go very quiet until it's over.
There's no more life in that storyline and it's distracting from Sam's sister and the fracturing coverup.

one sexy loser
Dec 10, 2007

I thought they were going for the fact that she probably killed the guy in the apartment before him through some sort of drug-fuelled sex thing, setting up the next season of stupid plot twists and sexual intrigue.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I was just skipping over poor dead(?) apartment guy because if Rebecca killed him but not Lila than it's just boring shades of gray stuff where nobody is innocent.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Dexo posted:

Unless that dude was the one who killed her, which would be pretty bad from a story telling perspective, it almost has to be Rebecca(Comedy Option, Sam's Sister did it).

I started wondering who killed her as well and I think I have a solution, but only if HTGAWM is as crazy as scandal is. Annalise killed her and she is literally getting away with her murder. I have no idea how the show would justify this, and I don't think its likely at all but it just popped into my head when I was thinking of the title.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

MrFlibble posted:

I started wondering who killed her as well and I think I have a solution, but only if HTGAWM is as crazy as scandal is. Annalise killed her and she is literally getting away with her murder. I have no idea how the show would justify this, and I don't think its likely at all but it just popped into my head when I was thinking of the title.

Well, Lila was having an affair with her husband and having his child. That would be a bonkers twist.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Did anything ever come of Nate taking photos of Frank planting evidence?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

I think the killer is Frank.

Annalise suspected but didn't know about Sam's affair throughout the season so I don't think she'd plan a murder without proof.

Rebecca was friends with Lila and while she might have manipulated Lila to catch her and her boyfriend loving as some sort of payback, I don't think she had the means to carry out the murder without getting caught.

Bonnie is a possible suspect too since she'd do anything to protect Annalise but as far as she was concerned she had already taken care of Lila by threatening her and sending away.

That just really just leaves Frank who has both the motive and the means. He knows that Sam and Lila were having an affair and in order to protect Annalise from finding the truth, kills Lila and frames Sam.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Kegslayer posted:

I think the killer is Frank.

Annalise suspected but didn't know about Sam's affair throughout the season so I don't think she'd plan a murder without proof.

Rebecca was friends with Lila and while she might have manipulated Lila to catch her and her boyfriend loving as some sort of payback, I don't think she had the means to carry out the murder without getting caught.

Bonnie is a possible suspect too since she'd do anything to protect Annalise but as far as she was concerned she had already taken care of Lila by threatening her and sending away.

That just really just leaves Frank who has both the motive and the means. He knows that Sam and Lila were having an affair and in order to protect Annalise from finding the truth, kills Lila and frames Sam.

Given that Frank out and out threatened to kill Sam's sister, he killed her.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Good use of Chekhov's ring, Annalise. Hopefully Nate didn't catch Frank planting that too.

I hope there's a point to Asher being clueless. I thought he was going to find out and end up dead but they're running out of time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A great episode all around. Bonnie knows, Frank and Annalise go to shocking lengths to protect their charges, "incest is best", Connor continues to be adorably freaked out, etc.

Only three episodes left? I'm really excited about the resolution of all this.

Will the series end after this season, or will there be more?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

sbaldrick posted:

Given that Frank out and out threatened to kill Sam's sister, he killed her.

Frank is ruthless enough to have done it, but I can't see him being personally invested enough to go kill Lila; I don't see his motive. He also seems smart enough to think that walking through a sorority house full of young women would be the best way to get away with killing one of them.

I'd almost want to think Sam's sister did it, but her indignation seems a little too righteous.

Torrannor posted:

Will the series end after this season, or will there be more?

Probably ratings will determine if there's another season, but story-wise, I think another season would be tough, especially with the same cast, just for plausibility reasons.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Frank is ruthless enough to have done it, but I can't see him being personally invested enough to go kill Lila; I don't see his motive. He also seems smart enough to think that walking through a sorority house full of young women would be the best way to get away with killing one of them.

Frank is extremely protective of Annalise so I think he kills the pregnant Lila and frames Sam to get rid of the two biggest issues to Annalise's life.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I think Frank would have directly pinned the murder on Sam rather than going through the elaborate scheme with Annalise. He eventually planted Lila's phone in Quarterback Boyfriend's car.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'd almost want to think Sam's sister did it, but her indignation seems a little too righteous.

Probably ratings will determine if there's another season, but story-wise, I think another season would be tough, especially with the same cast, just for plausibility reasons.

That hasn't stopped shows before.

ABC wouldn't have invested the time and effort into this show if they didn't plan on keeping it in the lineup for as long as possible (ratings permitting). This was never just intended to be a one-season show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I could watch Viola Davis and Cecily Tyson spar for an entire episode. loving masterful.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Pinwiz11 posted:

I could watch Viola Davis and Cecily Tyson spar for an entire episode. loving masterful.

Yeah, she owned every single scene she was in, that was pretty drat awesome.

They're still keeping it vague about whether or not Rebecca/her ex-neighbour killed Lila. I mean, "Wet" from the mouth of a guy who had a mental breakdown is a pretty drat vague clue, and nothing that would hold up on court. And going meta, shows tend to keep twists a secret, so having characters openly discuss whether or not it was really Rebecca could mean that it still wasn't her (still no motive for her yet).

But even if it could be proved it was Rebecca and not Sam, that's not going to help absolve Nate of murder.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 20, 2015

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Time to close this out... :munch:

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
Twenty minutes left and I still have no idea how the shoe will drop.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Holy poo poo Frank did it!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Also holy poo poo he probably killed Rebecca!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Frank was my guess as to the murderer if it wasn't Sam, but I did not see the Rebecca murder coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Retail Slave posted:

Also holy poo poo he probably killed Rebecca!

I am calling it now, Nate killed Rebecca. I bet he's Eggs911.

I was SURE Bonnie was going to be the murderer.

• Locked thread