Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I'm participating in Extra Life for the first time and I'm excited about it!

I'll be both volunteering at the event and playing. I'm a member of TEAM BAKERSFIELD, and we're playing for the Lauren Small Children's Medical Center at Bakersfield Memorial Hospital, which is the only children's hospital in Kern County (California's largest county). Our in-person event takes place at Cal State Bakersfield, and it's hosted by the Campus Gamers club.

I'm not a CSUB student (I go to CSU Northridge), but my fiance is an officer in the Psych Club, which does a lot and has a lot of crossover with Campus Gamers. Our goal is $16,000, and we're just barely over half way. If we meet our goal, Campus Gamers will be building a wheeled, portable, self-contained gaming cart for the hospital. It will have the 3 major consoles and everything needed to bring gaming bedside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

jabro posted:

Now are you basing that Kern County is California's largest county?

I thought that I had read that once, but I just checked and it turns out it's 3rd behind San Bernadino and Inyo Counties. Still pretty drat big, and there's not much there. Also, there is a higher than average rate of physical and mental birth defects in Kern, I would imagine due to the heavy use of dangerous chemicals in the agricultural and oil industries present.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Well that was a blast and I'm definitely going to be volunteering my time next year.

We put in an 18 hour day, didn't get to really play much aside from several gin games at the registration table. We didn't have any goonlord shitheads, it didn't smell like I expected in the buildings, and as a budding MtG player I walked away with a few hundred free cards. We had some cosplayers from the 501st and a fuckin' full-size R2-D2 beep-boopin' around. I didn't win anything but that's okay.

All told we took in over $20,000! Our online pledging took in 14.4k, with the other 6k coming from game-day donations.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
We got our photos back. http://www.waltoneventphoto.com/Extra-Life-October-25-2014-/i-ppN2zBB

There's some good stuff in there. I'm not the guy in the neon green wig and black suit jacket though.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

jabro posted:

Mountain Dew shirt?

Wrong again, thank goodness. Blue polo with white stripes.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Ernie. posted:

It's great that even famous people like Jonah Hill participate in things like these.

That's probably the least offensive thing said about me on the internet so I'll take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Ernie. posted:

Haha, sorry. I really was just poking fun at you. I didn't mean to be offensive. :)

No it's fine I'm just messing around. But yeah there were definitely some people there that embodied the stereotype, but for the most part everyone was cool. Definitely not what I was expecting. There was a guy who started telling us a story in the morning about finding an $80 MtG card in a booster pack the day before, and I swear every time he was within earshot he was telling the same story to some poor guy he cornered. But he was nice and he offered to show me the basics when I told him that I was very new and still learning so I can't really say he was a huge dick or anything.

• Locked thread