Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amracel
Sep 29, 2014
I'm looking for suggestions for a new desktop system. My needs/wants are the following:

1) Budget - Less than $1500 (a gal can hope, can't she?)
2) Use case - mainly software development (web/Java, not graphics heavy), want to install VirtualBox and open up two VMs without having the thing slow to a crawl. Will be installing Ubuntu as OS, so any existing MS crap will be blown away.
3) I have an iPad for any multimedia needs I might have. Not worried about it in this thing.
4) No hard core gaming needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-9370 4.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($265.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H320 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($152.23 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($108.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Mushkin 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 80GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($19.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY Quadro 4000 2GB Video Card ($797.27 @ TigerDirect)
Case: Corsair 730T Black ATX Full Tower Case ($70.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: CoolMax 500W ATX Power Supply ($22.99 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1558.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-29 10:32 EDT-0400

A little over budget. You might get something better in the pc build thread though

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, that spec doesn't really fit the requirements in any way - from just a glance: go Intel for a dev box, get at least 16Gb RAM for running VMs, don't buy an $800 graphics card unless you're a hard-core gamer or work in 3d graphics, and don't buy Windows if you aren't gonna run it.

Like really, did you read the requirements at all?

E: guess that was a c&p error :)

..btt fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 29, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

..btt posted:

Yeah, that spec doesn't really fit the requirements in any way - from just a glance: go Intel for a dev box, get at least 16Gb RAM for running VMs, don't buy an $800 graphics card unless you're a hard-core gamer or work in 3d graphics, and don't buy Windows if you aren't gonna run it.

lol

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($298.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($144.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Nanoxia NXDS4B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($62.99 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $867.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-29 10:58 EDT-0400

..btt posted:

Yeah im using a gigabyte mouse and forgot to plug in the additional 12v sata, makes clicking wonky

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 29, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My developers at work have computers with the following specs and it's plenty of HP for them to run Eclipse, VirtualBox, and all the other stuff they do

i7 4770
256GB SSD
32GB Ram

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

amracel posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for a new desktop system. My needs/wants are the following:

2) Use case - mainly software development (web/Java, not graphics heavy), want to install VirtualBox and open up two VMs without having the thing slow to a crawl. Will be installing Ubuntu as OS, so any existing MS crap will be blown away.
3) I have an iPad for any multimedia needs I might have. Not worried about it in this thing.

Should be pretty easy, really. The specs above are a bit off-kilter because this would more properly be a question for the system-building sticky thread.

Instead of the i7-4770 people are suggesting, I would go for an i7-4790K. There is no need to overclock it or pair it with a Z97 motherboard instead of H97 - I recommend it because it's just a good bit faster than a 4770 or 4790 for only a small price increase and without any trade-offs in missing features like VT-d.

Otherwise, what 1gnoirents posted is pretty much the rest of how I'd flesh out the build. You might go with a bigger SSD and/or with no hard drive depending on your storage needs. Other optional adjustments: 32 GB of RAM, go with a small Mini-ITX build (cons: limited to 16 GB of RAM), and/or add a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler to reduce noise under load.

The only reason I would change the build significantly would be if those VMs needed VT-d/IOMMU support. Unless you needed to give the VMs dedicated high-performance NICs or graphics cards, that's unnecessary, though, I think. It may be that the existing board selected there would have VT-d support, but you'd have to check its specs/manual.

Do you need suggestion on a monitor, keyboard, or whatnot? If you need peripherals, then a 2560x1440 screen and a mechanical keyboard could easily blow through the rest of the budget.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
$1500 of Raspberry Pis daisy chained together.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I'd go with a 6-core Intel processor (and a motherboard you can use it with) instead of 4-core. You have the budget for it.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

sarehu posted:

I'd go with a 6-core Intel processor (and a motherboard you can use it with) instead of 4-core. You have the budget for it.

But for web development with two VMs, probably not the need.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Factory Factory posted:

But for web development with two VMs, probably not the need.

The last time I did web development, unit tests took too long and having more cores out of the box would be great.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

..btt posted:

AMD generally beats Intel for virt unless you're buying Xeons, and sometimes even then.

amracel posted:

A microserver or anything bought in the last 5 years fulfills these requirements, including some netbooks.

Developers just don't need much.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
This will be betraying my ignorance, but why not buy a Xeon instead of an I7? Do the Is have better performance?

EDIT: E3-1276 v3 has a similar price, apparently runs in the same board slot and on the surface appears to be better.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 30, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Definitely check out the Parts Picking Megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amracel
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks all. Sorry for the mis-post by the newbie. Will check out parts picker mega thread. Yes, knew from past experience thtnI needed more than 16 GB RAM. But that's all I knew.

• Locked thread