Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

..btt posted:

Yeah, that spec doesn't really fit the requirements in any way - from just a glance: go Intel for a dev box, get at least 16Gb RAM for running VMs, don't buy an $800 graphics card unless you're a hard-core gamer or work in 3d graphics, and don't buy Windows if you aren't gonna run it.

Like really, did you read the requirements at all?

E: guess that was a c&p error :)

AMD generally beats Intel for virt unless you're buying Xeons, and sometimes even then.

amracel posted:

I'm looking for suggestions for a new desktop system. My needs/wants are the following:

1) Budget - Less than $1500 (a gal can hope, can't she?)
2) Use case - mainly software development (web/Java, not graphics heavy), want to install VirtualBox and open up two VMs without having the thing slow to a crawl. Will be installing Ubuntu as OS, so any existing MS crap will be blown away.
3) I have an iPad for any multimedia needs I might have. Not worried about it in this thing.
4) No hard core gaming needs.

A microserver or anything bought in the last 5 years fulfills these requirements, including some netbooks.

Developers just don't need much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread