Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sorry to hear that. It never ceases to amaze me how heated people can get about things. Hopefully you'll be able to get him the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Sorry to hear that. It never ceases to amaze me how heated people can get about things. Hopefully you'll be able to get him the final product.

I would, if I knew how to contact him. He vanished without a trace.

But I am not gonna let his work go to waste. I will see this through to the end!

(BTW, the list is a tier list for the Wii U version of Hyrule Warriors. I plan to make a Legends version as well.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Anyways, looking at the trailer, Ravio's Ice Rod spells appear to be dark-elemental as well, so I think it's safe to say that Ravio is a Dark user.

Yuga is definitely Lightning though. He seems to be kind of an anti-Wizzro, being a projectile user focusing on area coverage rather than a single powerful target.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

(BTW, the list is a tier list for the Wii U version of Hyrule Warriors. I plan to make a Legends version as well.)

How different do you expect that to be, out of curiosity? I haven't really played the Wii U version so I don't know what the differences are besides the addition of fairies. So I'd imagine Young Link would be entirely re-rated, and other characters might get shifted around based on whether fairy nukes cover some of their weaknesses?

Also, man this game is long (at least if you try to do all of the adventure maps completely). I'm closing in on finishing the Termina map though, at which point I'll be done with all of the base adventure maps + the great sea one. So then I'll just have three DLC maps to go :toot:. My characters are mostly in the level 60-70 range, which has been high enough to A-rank everything I've come across so far without much trouble.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

FrictionlessEmu posted:

How different do you expect that to be, out of curiosity? I haven't really played the Wii U version so I don't know what the differences are besides the addition of fairies. So I'd imagine Young Link would be entirely re-rated, and other characters might get shifted around based on whether fairy nukes cover some of their weaknesses?

Also, man this game is long (at least if you try to do all of the adventure maps completely). I'm closing in on finishing the Termina map though, at which point I'll be done with all of the base adventure maps + the great sea one. So then I'll just have three DLC maps to go :toot:. My characters are mostly in the level 60-70 range, which has been high enough to A-rank everything I've come across so far without much trouble.

I'm probably not gonna include fairy nukes in my ranking. Cetain characters have also received direct or indirect buffs and nerfs due to the machine or changes in their attacks, so that'll have to be noted as well.

Also, the list does not take Hasty Attacks into account. I'm planning on making a list that does take that move into account sometime, but this list here goes off of the characters' normal speed.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 29, 2016

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oh yes, in regards to the trailer, we've gotten a fairly picture of Ravio and Yuga's movesets.

Both look like they will use a basic C5 moveset (i.e. no extendable charges). The C5 moveset with extendable C2 and including C4 are ruled out due to their regular attack strings only going up to R6 (while the C5 charge movesets' regular attack strings only go up to R5). The C6 moveset is also just about ruled out due to the same thing (because the C6 movesets' regular attack strings all go up to R7).

Ravio:

R5 and R6 on his regular attack string are dark-elemental.

C3 (the one where he rolls the bomb) seems to actually be non-elemental.

C5 (the one where he conjures a tornado using his boomerang, then freezes and and shatters an icicle with the Ice Rod) appears to be dark-elemental.

R2 and R4 include a projectile in the form of a beam on the former and a bomb on the latter. Like all parts of the string until R5, they appear to be non-elemental.

His special attack (the one where he fires bomb arrows, then whips out his boomerang and conjures some tornados) also appear to be dark-elemental, at least on the last hit.

The Nice Power mentioned in the trailer means that when it's activated, a character wielding a weapon using the element pictured on the Ravio icon's left eye receives the bonus pictured in Ravio's right eye. In the case pictured in the video, a character wielding a weapon whose innate element is dark will receive silver and gold rupees to significantly boost the number of Rupees gained from enemies defeated in a battle so long as the Nice Power lasts. Moreover, the game proceeds to demonstrate this in the footage that occurs afterwards, where Ravio is seen getting silver and gold rupees from defeating enemies. Among other things, Ravio is pretty much confirmed to be a Dark user. I got the explanation of the Nice Power's effect from GamesBrained's analysis of the same video.

Speculation: He seems slow, yet powerful with his attacks. I also like how extremely talented he is with both physical attacks and magic, considering all of his items actually run on, is enhanced by and, in the case of his bombs and arrows, are conjured through magic (alright, it's called Stamina, but it can't just be me who sees the ALBW Stamina Meter as essentially being your magic reserves to use his magic-powered items). Him being more of a mono-dark user would also fit well with his items using or being generated by magic, Ravio would essentially channel dark magic to get the effects and the damage that he wants, and the dark magic he channels would make some attacks dark-elemental, regardless of the attack's visual element.

Yuga:

All but confirmed to be a Lightning user. Not that there was ever any doubt once we saw the screenshots. This makes him the third main Lightning user and the second character who solely uses a lightning-elemental weapon.

His regular attack string involves Yuga using his staff to bludgeon enemies with picture frames. It goes up to R6. R6 may be a lightning-elemental attack, but it's a bit hard to see. The rest of his string appears to be non-elemental though.

C2 uppercuts with a picture frame. Looks like your standard, non-elemental launcher. You can also see a magic circle being conjured after the attack latter on, though whether or not that is actually a part of C2 is unknown, and what it would have done is also unknown since Yuga transitions to his Focus Spirit Forced End attack where he blasts enemies with an enlarged picture frame.

C4 is the attack with the lightning arcing between the picture frames. It moves forward, so it looks like a decent frontal AoE move.

C5 summons a portrait with every enemy in the portrait's AoE becoming stunned and slowed, just in time for the Yuganon Trident to appear from a picture above and shock anything in it.

His special attack enlarges a picture frame above the affected area, then summons the Yuganon Trident to thrust into the ground and shock anyone and everything in range with a large blast of lightning.

Speculation: He looks kind of like he'd be the opposite of Wizzro in playstyle. Instead of extremely powerful single-target dark magic attacks and trap spells, his attacks focus more on trapping and clearing out large groups with lightning magic, though they may be weaker (forcing Yuga to rely on the Lightning element's effect and keeping stronger enemies in the air to deal decent damage).

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 29, 2016

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvyd1R856IQ

Ravio moveset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOhDeA5wvLU

Yuga moveset. I feel I've seen that set of normals before.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Having played as Ravio a bit, he feels incredibly fun, even if I have to learn a whole new slew of combo starters as him.

One I'd recommend any goons try out with Ravio is charged C1 (his launcher) -> C2 -> C5. It's really damaging and I've had success with it on regular officers and character officers alike.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Folt please come to my house and play all of the hard parts of the game for me.

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Are there supposed to be new mixtures in the apothecary? I could have sworn the update description said there were when the game booted, but I don't see anything that looks new.

Possibly relatedly, what was the message that popped up when you open up the Lorule map for the first time? I wasn't expecting it and accidentally closed it before I could read it - I just saw that there was something about fairies.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Possibly relatedly, what was the message that popped up when you open up the Lorule map for the first time? I wasn't expecting it and accidentally closed it before I could read it - I just saw that there was something about fairies.

It's basically "we stuck a new companion fairy somewhere in this map."

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Both Ravio and Yuga are weak to Light weapons.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Heart Container rewards are now actually useful in Legends! With the new 5000 KO skill (category: HLTH) every 5 max heart you have increases the damage of your weapon by a certain percentage. It's uncertain how much you need but if your characters has 30 hearts as their max health or so, the boost more than surpasses the boost given by skills like No Healing and the like. And it keeps giving way after that! At max health, you could get the joy of your character killing endgame mooks with one single regular attack! Yes, it's that good! And imagine the power when you combine this skill with No Healing and Strength+ skills. (and Finishing Blow+ etc.) Stuff will die!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Rand Brittain posted:

It's basically "we stuck a new companion fairy somewhere in this map."

The new companion Fairy is actually added to the original Adventure map instead of the Lorule map. Dark element, and she has a unique hairstyle and wings.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

I'm almost done with the tier list. Yuga's position is not set in stone yet, but all weapons have now been tiered according to how well they perform against the game's challenges in various categories (and without Hasty Attacks). For those confused about the tiers, anything in B and higher are above average weapons/characters, and anything in D and below tend to be on the bad side (D Tier being weapons that tend to be less functional than anything above them). Of course, because I've numbered the weapons in regards to their positions, you'll note that there's a lot of weapons that perform above the average, functional level of C Tier, yet are on the lower end of the list, which is more of a testament to how viable most of the weapons and characters are in Hyrule Warriors (and it is also a very good thing that there's so few weapons that are outright bad, because Hyrule Warriors really wants you to try out all the characters/weapons in the game).

Of the characters with a choice of multiple weapons, only Ganondorf has a choice between weapons that are both on the good end of the tier list, both category-wise and position-wise. Link also has most weapons at the higher end of the tier list which gives you lots of good choices for him (though they're all Lightning or Light). Toon Link's Sand Wand almost didn't get to the B Tier, but C5 saved the weapon from being merely average (and makes Toon Link into one of only two characters, the other one being Ganondorf, who have both weapon choices on the good end of the tier list, category-wise).

Impa's Giant Blade ended up being the big loser of all weapons as the only E-Tier weapon, though her other weapon ended up landing on the higher end of the list. Tetra almost ended up a tier lower than Giant Blade, but options for her were discovered just in time. As did Fi, who upon reexamination was found to be, while less than functional, noticeably better than straight up bad. Other weapons/characters who moved from possible E Tier include Lana's Spear, Link's Great Fairy, and Lana's Summoning Gate, the latter in particular breaking out of the Bottom Five altogether.

In my opinion, of the characters with multiple choices of weapons, just about all of them except Impa can switch between at least two functional weapons that belong in C-Tier or above, which makes those characters a bit more useful over the game.

The lowest Dark-elemental weapon, and the highest Water-elemental weapons, are all found in B-tier, which says some things about the usefulness of their elemental effects.

Lana's Summoning Gate saw the largest increase in position and Tier ranking, going from Bottom Five loser to A-Tier darling as properties and possibilities were discovered about it. Toon Zelda probably had the largest jump of the cast introduced through the second game. She was initially pegged as a C-Tier character, but managed to climb all the way up to the higher end of the list, and is now on the lower end of A-Tier. By comparison, Twili Midna probably suffered the largest fall in position, going from 10/11th spot to ending up as the 18th best weapon/character and the worst A-Tier character.

The weapon that's neither in a high or low position compared to the rest of the weapons is Linkle's Crossbows. Fittingly, I find that particular weaponset to be an extremely well-rounded weapon, with good attributes all around and no particular stand-out category (except giant bosses, and even there I can think of better weapons for the task). Easy to pick up and learn, yet with surprising depth, the Crossbows is the one weapon I can recommend to beginners and experts alike and, as a B-Tier weapon, will still put up a decent performance when you get to the more difficult parts of the game for those who intend on maining the weapon.

Ah yes, once this list is finished, I intend to move on to create a tier list for Hyrule Warriors Legends (as well as one that incorporates ultimate weapon builds AKA Hasty Attacks can be included in discussions; I already have quite a few characters/weapons in mind who will really benefit from Hasty Attacks finally being included). I have a feeling that the Legends list will look similiar, yet still have notable differences from the one I have here.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool stuff. What was it that bumped the summoning gate so high? I like using it but I find it really slow.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I suspect the biggest difference between the regular and legends list would be Young Link, it's much harder to keep up his momentum with the lower number of onscreen enemies. Also Legends has more giant bosses and stuff, I think? Is Phantom Ganon in the Wii U game? I find this stuff fascinating.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Cool stuff. What was it that bumped the summoning gate so high? I like using it but I find it really slow.

Unenhanced, the weapon has an infinite on every regular officer in the game. C1 -> dodge-cancelling before the summon goes out -> repeat until enemy is dead. C3-2 destroys every giant boss WPG, and it has a good projectile game with Gohma and King Dodongo. Unenhanced Argorok and King Dodongo is good for mooks, and C1 summons, C3-2, King Dodongo and Argorok hits so much space that multiple officers are easily handled, and unenhanced Argorok can be spammed while looking for enhanced Manhandla/Argorok when up against character enemies.

Enhanced,Manhandla -> dodge-cancel -> Special does absurd damage with the seeds and Cucco steamrolling over the enemy. Enhanced Argorok literally is an answer for absolutely everything. Enhanced Gohma works as an AoE crowdkiller by it's lasers and laser ball taking out large groups of mooks, and Enhanced King Dodongo is a decent projectile against multiple officers. And the invincibility helps of course.

What helps the weapon is that C1 summons will stay out as you attempt to enter the C2-C5 summons which give it some good safety. I think it's because the C1 summon stays out it's duration even as you're performing one of the other C#s. It can vary between a top-tier performance to a decent one, so it's place on the list is an approximation.

It's the one weapon I am certain will suffer a large fall in Legends, mostly because of the 3DS's power issues: C1 summons won't stay out alongside the other summons anymore which makes the weapon lose a bit of it's safety and one way to prepare enhanced and unenhanced summons uninterrupted.

YggiDee posted:

I suspect the biggest difference between the regular and legends list would be Young Link, it's much harder to keep up his momentum with the lower number of onscreen enemies. Also Legends has more giant bosses and stuff, I think? Is Phantom Ganon in the Wii U game? I find this stuff fascinating.

He'll fall, but not as far down as most would think. He'll likely land somewhere in the bottom of top tier or top of high tier.

But yes, some weapons are going to rise with the advent of additional bosses as well as the overall nerf to Giant Bosses, which will be a boon to some characters while others may find their giant boss capabilities to be worse than in Hyrule Warriors.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I just played the king of hyrule in the Wii U version. It's like a fast version of Darunia.

:jackbud:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is King Boat actually worth grinding up?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Is King Boat actually worth grinding up?

He's probably in the running for one of the best water users in the game, though like most Wii U DLC characters, he lacks rewards or any kind of incentive to play him other than because you want to. Though, for what it's worth, he's the one I'm using in both the original Wii U game and Legends whenever I want to play as a character who primarily uses the water element.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't use King Boat because his frigging voice clip drives me insane.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I can't use King Boat because his frigging voice clip drives me insane.

heh

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm legit surprised he never goes "HEY"

Like, c'mon.

heh. heh. heh. heh.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

I'm almost done with the tier list.

Did the tier list ever get finalised, out of curiosity?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 18, 2017

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Did the tier list ever get finalised, out of curiosity?

Yes. It's at Version 1 so it's both finished, and can still be changed if I didn't get it right the first time. So yeah, consider that the finished tier list for now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Awesome, thanks!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm getting around to playing the LBW DLC finally and it's still really good. I've still got quite a bit of content to squeeze out of this game but I'm sad there probably won't be any more DLC and they've been busy with Fire Emblem Warriors so there won't be a new version for a while either.

Edit: Disappointing fact, the Toon Zelda amiibo doesn't get you a weapon for Toon Zelda, it's just treated like a regular Zelda amiibo. :/

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 19, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Tomorrow evening in Europe starts a two week Zelda sale campaign in the eShop. As part of that, the DLC for the Hyrule Warriors games get a discount. So it's a good time if any to get them at last.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not wanting to bring up a old thread, but after Breath of the Wild I can't wait for the new cast of characters from it to end up in Hyrule Warriors 2 or Extreme Legends or whatever. Especially Prince Sidon.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rirse posted:

Not wanting to bring up a old thread, but after Breath of the Wild I can't wait for the new cast of characters from it to end up in Hyrule Warriors 2 or Extreme Legends or whatever. Especially Prince Sidon.

They could pretty much make a sequel with just BOTW characters and settings and I'd be down.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Breath of the Wild is certainly chock-full of potential new maps.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've been noticing that sometimes random enemies will heavily slow down for some reason; it's not frame issues, just one specific captain or playable character will randomly execute an attack at about a third of their standard speed. It happens most often inside a fairy field, but not always, and I don't think my fairy has any ability that would cause this. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kvx687 posted:

I've been noticing that sometimes random enemies will heavily slow down for some reason; it's not frame issues, just one specific captain or playable character will randomly execute an attack at about a third of their standard speed. It happens most often inside a fairy field, but not always, and I don't think my fairy has any ability that would cause this. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Maybe it's something the game does to try to prevent frame drops? Which version are you playing?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

If thry do i hope the Oracle games get some love. Add in Onox, Veran, Ralph and Maple. Let one of them have the flying blue bear as an attack.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Wemus posted:

If thry do i hope the Oracle games get some love. Add in Onox, Veran, Ralph and Maple. Let one of them have the flying blue bear as an attack.

Could they use those characters without having to license them from Capcom?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Time to append some BotW characters to FAKsHyruleWarriorsWishlist.txt I guess

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Time to append some BotW characters to FAKsHyruleWarriorsWishlist.txt I guess

Well, they need pack-in exclusive characters for the inevitable Switch rerelease.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope they just do HW2 please

A definitive version would be nice but I don't want to buy it for a third time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Hyrule warriors 2 and a standalone game for Linkle please.

• Locked thread