Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«275 »
Froist
Jun 6, 2004

tuyop posted:

Evernote web clipper is awesome.

Thanks, I completely forgot Evernote existed but it's ideal for what I want.

Dick Nipples posted:

It's pricey but I've used DEVONthink for this workflow for years. There are a few others out there but none that have great iOS support from what I recall.

I took a look at this too but it's probably overkill for my needs - seems thorough though. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for a decent scanning app? I need to email some documents in a hurry.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for a decent scanning app? I need to email some documents in a hurry.

readdle’s “scanner pro” is good. there is also a free version called “scanner mini” but idk what it’s missing

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

You can scan in the Notes app now, and it's probably good enough for most purposes. As far as I can tell, though, Notes doesn't let you easily adjust the processing it does on the scans: it's just "Here are the 4 presets (color, b&w, greyscale, original photo) that are perfect for every use case. Enjoy." It looks like some apps are starting to integrate Apple's scanning (Notability's looks and works identically).

I use Scanner Pro out of pure momentum (I think I first bought it on my 4s) and it has a few sliders to let you adjust that processing. I've found that makes it a lot better in cases where you need to scan a lot of handwriting, especially on lined/graph paper.

I haven't tried anything other than those three.

If you're going to scan a lot of things, I've found that the most important thing isn't the app. The most important thing is your lighting and surface:
  • Dark surface for easy contrast; flat paper.
  • Phone/tablet directly above the paper.
  • A bright light source (ideally not too warm) that's not overhead, so your device doesn't cast a shadow
I had to do a lot of scanning last summer. Once I worked out a setup like that, I spent about one tenth of the time on each scan, maybe even less.

I had a goose-neck work lamp that I put a yard or so to the side of where the paper went. It was angled it to shine on the paper but underneath where I held the phone.

This kind of lamp, but imagine lowering the lamp a bit and sliding the paper to the left (and using a darker surface).

I would bet good money that if you can make a similar setup, the Notes app (or anything that uses the default scanner) would work just fine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks! That's awesome advice.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

They're karai pantsu, spicy pants.
Which do you want? Pink happy bear or purple kissing bunny?

hey girl you up posted:

You can scan in the Notes app now, and it's probably good enough for most purposes. As far as I can tell, though, Notes doesn't let you easily adjust the processing it does on the scans: it's just "Here are the 4 presets (color, b&w, greyscale, original photo) that are perfect for every use case. Enjoy." It looks like some apps are starting to integrate Apple's scanning (Notability's looks and works identically).

I use Scanner Pro out of pure momentum (I think I first bought it on my 4s) and it has a few sliders to let you adjust that processing. I've found that makes it a lot better in cases where you need to scan a lot of handwriting, especially on lined/graph paper.

I haven't tried anything other than those three.

If you're going to scan a lot of things, I've found that the most important thing isn't the app. The most important thing is your lighting and surface:
  • Dark surface for easy contrast; flat paper.
  • Phone/tablet directly above the paper.
  • A bright light source (ideally not too warm) that's not overhead, so your device doesn't cast a shadow
I had to do a lot of scanning last summer. Once I worked out a setup like that, I spent about one tenth of the time on each scan, maybe even less.

I had a goose-neck work lamp that I put a yard or so to the side of where the paper went. It was angled it to shine on the paper but underneath where I held the phone.

This kind of lamp, but imagine lowering the lamp a bit and sliding the paper to the left (and using a darker surface).

I would bet good money that if you can make a similar setup, the Notes app (or anything that uses the default scanner) would work just fine.

You would win that bet, I had that exact setup at the office back in the days of yore with dragons and offices.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Office Lens app has a passable scanner with skew correction.

Google Photoscan has a cool mode where you take 4 "photos" (in video mode) to get rid of glare from overhead lights. Works best for scanning glossies, obviously.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

aaaaaaaaaa
AAAAAAAAAAA
HHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Scanner Pro also lets you fax from the app which is a godsend for the one time every 5 years you need to actually send a fax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

~Coxy posted:

Office Lens app has a passable scanner with skew correction.

Google Photoscan has a cool mode where you take 4 "photos" (in video mode) to get rid of glare from overhead lights. Works best for scanning glossies, obviously.

Adobe Scan works pretty well for me.

«275 »