Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah auto-rotation is probably a preferred option. The groan when they realize it’s their turn to do the dishwasher is oddly satisfying.

e: My kids are older, so none of the ones that accumulate points to earn stuff are appealing.
You might be able to whip something up in Numbers if you're handy with spreadsheet formulas :v:

(Big might but I think it's possible...now whether you actually want to attempt that :shrug:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Probably can set up Reminders to do what you want. Have recurring ones that cycle through your preferred cadence (Jr is on MWF, etc). Just keep it locked on Today view. The title can say the responsible party.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to see integration of Dark Sky features into the default Weather app. I guess it might be time to get rid of Dark Sky?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I find Dark Sky still useful for the push notifications of participation.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

japtor posted:

You might be able to whip something up in Numbers if you're handy with spreadsheet formulas :v:

(Big might but I think it's possible...now whether you actually want to attempt that :shrug:)

Yeah I probably could do that, but my free time is less than 0 these days :v:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anybody tried that "Fatsecret" calorie tracker? Setting aside the weird-rear end name, I'm looking for an alternative to MyFitnessPal which does everything I need but the interface is kind of shoddy unless you pay for a subscription to remove the ad spot.

App store classic Lose It! is still very good and my #1 recommend. They even have a widget now and the UI is modern, their database is just as good as MFP's and they have complete feature parity.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Thwomp posted:

I find Dark Sky still useful for the push notifications of participation.

Until the weather app has the nice tiny map with the direction arrows on the storms, I’ll keep using Dark Sky until it dies.

Violator
May 15, 2003

vote_no posted:

Until the weather app has the nice tiny map with the direction arrows on the storms, I’ll keep using Dark Sky until it dies.

Yeah they really should add a radar map.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mad Wack posted:

App store classic Lose It! is still very good and my #1 recommend. They even have a widget now and the UI is modern, their database is just as good as MFP's and they have complete feature parity.
Thanks, I’ll check it out!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mad Wack posted:

Seconded. Also has Apple Watch integration if you have one of those. MFP doesn’t at all.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Seconded. Also has Apple Watch integration if you have one of those. MFP doesn’t at all.

MFP has an Apple Watch app. Or do you mean something else?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It seems like Packages is moving over to a subscription based model. I’m not thrilled but I’m also not entirely sure what the difference would be. It seems they use some syncing method that you only get with a sub, but I wasn’t using it anyway? Not really sure how to feel about it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Warbird posted:

It seems like Packages is moving over to a subscription based model. I’m not thrilled but I’m also not entirely sure what the difference would be. It seems they use some syncing method that you only get with a sub, but I wasn’t using it anyway? Not really sure how to feel about it.

You mean Deliveries? Their blog post has info on the changes but tldr if you already paid $5 for it then nothing changes for you unless you used JuneCloud instead of iCloud for some reason.

New users will have to pay $5/year to use the app but existing users don’t.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whoops, yes. Too much time around Linux these days. Good to know it shouldn’t be an impact, though I have to wonder how may people are using that feature and if it warrants the change.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pulled from the NYC thread:

rawillkill posted:

The Covid alert app is live.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/covid-alert-ny/id1524123298

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.ny.health.proximity

The app works in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Leave Bluetooth on for the 'live' detection feature, can warn you if somebody with COVID is within 6 ft. of you for longer than 10 minutes.

All data is firewalled, no personal ID or info gets transmitted outside your phone, totally anonymized, etc.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Binary Badger posted:

Leave Bluetooth on for the 'live' detection feature, can warn you if somebody with COVID is within 6 ft. of you for longer than 10 minutes.

Minutes??

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Snowy posted:

Minutes??

Everyone knows COVID has a 10-minute cooldown timer before it jumps into your mouth.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a way to gets WhatsApp to backup reliably? iCloud only backs up the settings but not chats. So now Ive lost 6+ months of chats because it didn’t backup properly.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Binary Badger posted:

Pulled from the NYC thread:

All data is firewalled, no personal ID or info gets transmitted outside your phone, totally anonymized, etc.

please don't oversell the security of the app if you don't understand it (you don't)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Does anyone understand the rules around what determines when/how the calendar shows up on the combo CarPlay screen? I like having more room for the music widget and I can’t uninstall the god drat calendar app because Apple makes you have it if you want the date to show on your watch for Christ knows what reason.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone have a way to gets WhatsApp to backup reliably? iCloud only backs up the settings but not chats. So now Ive lost 6+ months of chats because it didn’t backup properly.

Are you sure? The "Chat Backup" text says 'Back up your chat history and media to iCloud' and my total backup size is in the gigabytes which wouldn't make sense if it was just settings.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you sure? The "Chat Backup" text says 'Back up your chat history and media to iCloud' and my total backup size is in the gigabytes which wouldn't make sense if it was just settings.

I’m sure it didn’t work for me but I’m not sure how it is supposed to work. I think I might have disabled iCloud backup in favour of the built backup as otherwise it backs up twice? However, the built in backup is not reliable at all it seems.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Lutha Mahtin posted:

please don't oversell the security of the app if you don't understand it (you don't)

Why not post something useful?
What's bad about the security of the app? Are personal details leaked? Is location data available to the authorities? Is it worth using?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

What's bad about the security of the app? Are personal details leaked? Is location data available to the authorities? Is it worth using?

obviously it's step one of the liberal new world order conspiracy to implant subdermal fluoride tracking chips. wake up!!!!!!!!!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
chem trails

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

~Coxy posted:

i was critiquing op's incompetent description of, and overselling of, the app's security. they said all user information is "firewalled", which, no. firewalled means that data cannot move from one part of a computer system or network to another. thus if all the user information is firewalled, then no contact tracing is possible.

they also said that the app's security is perfect, tremennndous, just the best. this has yet to be shown. the data exchange method that this app uses (and shares with several apps for other areas) was designed to be anonymous, but i have not seen any formal proof that every implementation of it is guaranteed to be so, nor any analyses that government health agencies are implementing it well. and LOL if you think any of these rushed apps have been rigorously analyzed by third party independent researchers to be proven free of dodgy code and side channel leakiness

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 4, 2020

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i was critiquing op's incompetent description of, and overselling of, the app's security. they said all user information is "firewalled", which, no. firewalled means that data cannot move from one part of a computer system or network to another. thus if all the user information is firewalled, then no contact tracing is possible.

they also said that the app's security is perfect, tremennndous, just the best. this has yet to be shown. the data exchange method that this app uses (and shares with several apps for other areas) was designed to be anonymous, but i have not seen any formal proof that every implementation of it is guaranteed to be so, nor any analyses that government health agencies are implementing it well. and LOL if you think any of these rushed apps have been rigorously analyzed by third party independent researchers to be proven free of dodgy code and side channel leakiness

Typically a “critique” is detailed or analytical, your first response didn’t critique anything. You could, perhaps, provide someone else’s analysis of how it’s intended to work, potential pitfalls, etc. instead of using more words than necessary to say “nuh uh.”

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

Typically a “critique” is detailed or analytical, your first response didn’t critique anything

i didn't write much initially :effort: because i didn't know if anyone in the thread was curious about it. then when someone expressed genuine interest in what i was talking about, i expanded upon my initial comment. this is how humans use language to communicate, but you are correct that perhaps i used one word in a slightly incorrect semantic manner in my last post

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i didn't write much initially :effort: because i didn't know if anyone in the thread was curious about it. then when someone expressed genuine interest in what i was talking about, i expanded upon my initial comment. this is how humans use language to communicate, but you are correct that perhaps i used one word in a slightly incorrect semantic manner in my last post

I get the :effort: part, but you kinda dumped on someone making a pretty benign mistake (IMO) and that’s gonna get a “wait, what?” response most of the time I’d bet.
Anyway, for people who’re interested: there’s plenty of info about the specs (https://covid19.apple.com/contacttracing) and there’s some relatively easy-to-understand examination of the conceptual shortcomings (https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/04/apple-and-googles-covid-19-exposure-notification-api-questions-and-answers) with having third parties implement this API (older, but still relevant in this case AFAIK). There’s more out there as well, though it’ll take a minute for people to dig through this specific implementation.
Long story short, the actual exposure notification part itself is AFAIK fine, and Apple and Google have been relatively open and made changes based on community suggestions and research. The privacy issues are most relevant when it comes to the implementation of that work, and are worth looking into before using.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 4, 2020

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is how humans use language to communicate, but you are correct that perhaps i used one word in a slightly incorrect semantic manner in my last post
:goonsay:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Red_Fred posted:

I’m sure it didn’t work for me but I’m not sure how it is supposed to work. I think I might have disabled iCloud backup in favour of the built backup as otherwise it backs up twice? However, the built in backup is not reliable at all it seems.

whatsapp doesn't have "built in" backup, everything goes to icloud(or google) storage, it's just that app-specific backups are not counted in your cumulative icloud space. What sounds happened is that whatsapp never backups unless it has wifi connectivity at late night and sometimes iphones lose wifi connectivity while locked so whatsapp fails to backup.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

SlowBloke posted:

whatsapp doesn't have "built in" backup, everything goes to icloud(or google) storage, it's just that app-specific backups are not counted in your cumulative icloud space. What sounds happened is that whatsapp never backups unless it has wifi connectivity at late night and sometimes iphones lose wifi connectivity while locked so whatsapp fails to backup.

This sounds very plausible. I also read that WhatsApp needs 2.05 times the size of the backup free in iCloud to backup but it doesn’t seem to tell you this when it’s trying, it just sits there stuck on a % forever. As I often tried to manually back it up when it would complain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Good drat it, Apple

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is there any way to tell if IAP are across family sharing? I would like to get a flash card type math app (Big Math Flash Cards) so my kid can have it on his ipad, but not sure if I must purchase the IAP on his device or what.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Is there any way to tell if IAP are across family sharing? I would like to get a flash card type math app (Big Math Flash Cards) so my kid can have it on his ipad, but not sure if I must purchase the IAP on his device or what.

Check out StudyBlue instead in my opinion.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

tuyop posted:

Check out StudyBlue instead in my opinion.
I got a notification last time I opened StudyBlue saying it was shutting down and getting wrapped up into something called “Chegg” which is an awful name but hopefully a good app.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That studyblue/chegg looks nice but a bit more advanced that what I need, my boy is 8 and just needs to work on getting faster with adding/subtracting relatively simple stuff.

Just wish the family sharing stuff was a bit more obvious for letting you know if it the IAP unlocks across it or just for the one user etc..

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

priznat posted:

I thought that no IAP worked across family sharing?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

~Coxy posted:

It says on the store page “In app purchases may be shareable with your family” so it’s not clear at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

My understanding is it's up to the app devs to opt into it now.