Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wish iOS had better cleanup options for photos. Maybe they can pull something off with iOS 18 and all the rumors of AI whatever nonsense.

I just try not to bother janitoring the photos but it’s tough sometimes lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don’t see a way in Photos to sort by file size, though. I can go into each video and see what the size it but doing it one at a time would take forever.

Trimming stuff wouldn’t be ideal since it would again need me to go in one by one to save a few seconds here and there, plus I want the full 59 seconds of my dog trying not to fall asleep, but the video doesn’t need to be 590MB for that.

Unfortunately even the inbuilt video re-encoder using Shortcuts strips all the date and location metadata. :(

You can do it in the Windows icloud client. It just presents as a standard window, so you've got all the regular sort options.

Now, I'm not 100% sure if changes you make directly there translate to blasting it from the cloud storage in general. I'd need to do some testing, I could see it going either way.

At the very least it's a good way to identify oddly large files. I, for example, apparently have a 1.1gb video of some bats circling a street light that I do not remember at all.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Froist posted:

If you’ve already hit the 200gb threshold, shrinking some videos to drop below it again is only delaying the inevitable. Embrace the 2tb tier.

I say that as someone where iCloud and Prime are the only 2 subscriptions I pay for. The photo library just isn’t worth compromising on.
I’m just really put off by the huge leap between the two storage options with no middle ground. Feels skeevy in terms of pricing.

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can do it in the Windows icloud client. It just presents as a standard window, so you've got all the regular sort options.

Now, I'm not 100% sure if changes you make directly there translate to blasting it from the cloud storage in general. I'd need to do some testing, I could see it going either way.

At the very least it's a good way to identify oddly large files. I, for example, apparently have a 1.1gb video of some bats circling a street light that I do not remember at all.
Oh nice. I think I set up the iCloud we nodes app forever ago so I’ll need to see if it’s there and I can see what the worst offenders are. Then I’ll need to look into video conversion while keeping metadata.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’m just really put off by the huge leap between the two storage options with no middle ground. Feels skeevy in terms of pricing.

Oh nice. I think I set up the iCloud we nodes app forever ago so I’ll need to see if it’s there and I can see what the worst offenders are. Then I’ll need to look into video conversion while keeping metadata.

It sucks. You could do 2tb iCloud or onedrive. I choose to do both, along with a local copies and backups.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I just got an iPhone for the first time, and I was unprepared for how insanely creepy it is.

Would someone please recommend barebones e-reader and photo gallery apps? I just want to be able to organize files into folders/albums and look at them. I don't need Roko's Basilisk to provide me with "curated" "suggestions" to "personalize my experience" or to tell me when to go to bed.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
To console you, all of the personalized stuff that iPhones “learn” about you are all done on-device and are not uploaded to the cloud.

And I mean, the only other competitor collects and monetizes pretty much all data from phone users. So if Apple are creepy, you’d surely want to swear off all Alphabet product use!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I'm not suffering from a delusion wherein I think I can secure my phone from having data collected and monetized. I just won't use these features and don't want to see them. I'm not in need of consolation of any kind.

For example, the Photos app has 4 tabs, and I won't use the Library tab or the Suggested tab. The top icon in the Albums tab is a Recents album that's built in and can't be turned off. So I see no reason to use an app where I'll be consciously avoiding like 3/4 of the interface every time I use it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not suffering from a delusion wherein I think I can secure my phone from having data collected and monetized. I just won't use these features and don't want to see them. I'm not in need of consolation of any kind.

For example, the Photos app has 4 tabs, and I won't use the Library tab or the Suggested tab. The top icon in the Albums tab is a Recents album that's built in and can't be turned off. So I see no reason to use an app where I'll be consciously avoiding like 3/4 of the interface every time I use it.

You can select photos and then create an album specifically for those ones, and add to that folder later within the photos app. You could also turn location services off for photos if you don't want that but I find it incredibly useful for when I remember where I took a photo but don't remember when it was.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You can select photos and then create an album specifically for those ones, and add to that folder later within the photos app.
Yes, I'm familiar with the concept of creating a folder and putting files in it.

quote:

You could also turn location services off for photos if you don't want that but I find it incredibly useful
I don't.

This is what I'm talking about. Is there some reason I shouldn't just use a different gallery app? Is something bad going to happen to me if I use a gallery app that isn't Photos? Do I need to accept Apple into my heart as my Lord and personal saviour?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Yes, I'm familiar with the concept of creating a folder and putting files in it.

I don't.

This is what I'm talking about. Is there some reason I shouldn't just use a different gallery app? Is something bad going to happen to me if I use a gallery app that isn't Photos? Do I need to accept Apple into my heart as my Lord and personal saviour?

No, but I don't know of another one and you can shove your condescending attitude up yer butt.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Nah you’ll just be doing work for no reason but that’s kind of the definition of a hobby so go hog wild. :)

Personally, I like exploring new features like the fact that Photos now does a pretty good job identifying species of birds!

And it doesn’t creep me out because it’s local to the phone.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Halloween Jack posted:

Do I need to accept Apple into my heart as my Lord and personal saviour?

Why did you buy an iPhone

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bobfather posted:

And I mean, the only other competitor collects and monetizes pretty much all data from phone users. So if Apple are creepy, you’d surely want to swear off all Alphabet product use!

I'm sure Apple is collecting a ton of user data for ML/AI features (e.g. Photos related features), Maps stuff as well as for Apple's ad network for personalized ads. Better than Googs in that regard I'm sure, but also a lot of similarities.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Do I need to accept Apple into my heart as my Lord and personal saviour?

No joke, yes.

Apple builds experiences that work beautifully for 80% of people but if you really want things to work outside that target demo things fall apart very quickly.

Good luck!

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 27, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Apple builds experiences that work beautifully for 80% of people but if you really want things to work outside that target demo things fall apart very quickly.

Me in 2012: man the iPad is cool, I could do my job with this if there was a kerberized ssh client available.

Me in 2024: man this iPad would the perfect laptop if there was a kerberized ssh client.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

FCKGW posted:

No joke, yes.

Good luck!

In terms of iOS at least. MacOS is still pretty customizable and lets you get pretty stupid if you want. Not to Linux levels of course but [FreeBSD joke here].

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there a weather app that shows historical weather data? I’d like to put in a zip code and a calendar week with a specific year and see what the weather was. Bonus points if you can get an average of what the weather was that week for a 10-year period or so.

I know this information is available elsewhere, but I’m wondering if there’s any app that includes an easy interface for viewing this data

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a weather app that shows historical weather data? I’d like to put in a zip code and a calendar week with a specific year and see what the weather was. Bonus points if you can get an average of what the weather was that week for a 10-year period or so.

I know this information is available elsewhere, but I’m wondering if there’s any app that includes an easy interface for viewing this data

I am legitimately surprised there’s not a farmers almanac app. We used to have the big rear end book growing up.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather-history

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

RIP Dark Sky. Weather's been improving slowly, but I miss that app so much. Looks like Windy does it.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Weatherzone has some history stuff. You can see the past 48 hours with hourly increments, past 4 days with details, month-to-date with daily, and almanac (highest, lowest, wettest type stuff). You can choose which month for the monthly and almanac data.

The one thing I would say about it is it’s not the best ui, like to find history I had to scroll to the bottom of the Home tab to find Shortcuts and then History. You wouldn’t know it was there because it’s way down below anything you’d normally look at. There is some customisation stuff with setting up the views you can do, so it might be my fault to some degree.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there a way to sort apps by the last date of use?

Basically I'm trying to cull the billion stupid little one-off apps that have accumulated on my phone like barnacles, and it would be really sweet if I could see that oh hey I haven't interacted with this one in 2 years etc.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If you have Screen Time on it’ll show you your most used apps and you can go from there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is there a way to sort apps by the last date of use?

Basically I'm trying to cull the billion stupid little one-off apps that have accumulated on my phone like barnacles, and it would be really sweet if I could see that oh hey I haven't interacted with this one in 2 years etc.

Settings/General/iPhone Storage/Last Used Date

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 27, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Thanks, I was digging in the wrong menus. Didn't think to check storage.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Oh this is even better. Do that instead, I didn’t even know about this one lol.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Silly Burrito posted:

Oh that’s pretty slick, I should go through and cull a bit myself.

Edit: this doesn’t seem to be quite right. There are apps I know for a fact I’ve used more recently than some of these others at the bottom of the list, but it’s still a good place to start.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 27, 2024

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
You could also bring up the multi-tasking app list and scroll all the way to the left.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Unthinkable to not periodically kill every app in the app switcher even though I know they’re not actually running or using battery and yes I know it actually uses more battery and takes longer to cold-start them shut up my brain doesn’t care 😣

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

TACD posted:

Unthinkable to not periodically kill every app in the app switcher even though I know they’re not actually running or using battery and yes I know it actually uses more battery and takes longer to cold-start them shut up my brain doesn’t care 😣

Who cares, do whatever you want.

I kill my apps all the time and charge the phone all day I don’t care. Charge my drat phone to 150% who loving cares.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skeezy posted:

Who cares, do whatever you want.

I kill my apps all the time and charge the phone all day I don’t care. Charge my drat phone to 150% who loving cares.

I wish I could be like you 🤩

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I always giggle when I see people meticulously close apps from the app switcher in public.

I’m a pretty organized person with digital spaces, but I can’t be bothered to manage those. The apps aren’t actually active, they’re just sitting in RAM.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Corb3t posted:

I always giggle when I see people meticulously close apps from the app switcher in public.

I’m a pretty organized person with digital spaces, but I can’t be bothered to manage those.

It doesn’t need managing

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Might as well unscrew the light bulb after turning the switch off

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Corb3t posted:

My kids' "technology" teacher makes them clear out all running apps at the close of class.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

Might as well unscrew the light bulb after turning the switch off

rookie mistake. you unscrew first so you can see what you're doing

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

For peeps looking for an iptv app, I have been liking https://www.uhfapp.com/

I have been using iptvx but its been pretty buggy, and its a yearly sub vs uhf has a lifetime option. Also, if youd like an iptv recommendation I have a solid option I have been using for a couple years now.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

kri kri posted:

For peeps looking for an iptv app, I have been liking https://www.uhfapp.com/

I have been using iptvx but its been pretty buggy, and its a yearly sub vs uhf has a lifetime option. Also, if youd like an iptv recommendation I have a solid option I have been using for a couple years now.

Ohhh UHF app. Not how I parsed that at first.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

~Coxy posted:

My kids' "technology" teacher makes them clear out all running apps at the close of class.
While I was working at the Apple Store there were plenty of Apple staff getting people to quit everything from the app launcher as a general iPhone maintenance recommendation

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I tend to do it for the same reason people (like myself) keep a bunch of browser tabs open; ease of reaching apps being used at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

tuyop posted:

Nah you’ll just be doing work for no reason but that’s kind of the definition of a hobby so go hog wild. :)

Personally, I like exploring new features like the fact that Photos now does a pretty good job identifying species of birds!

And it doesn’t creep me out because it’s local to the phone.

I found out recently it's pretty good at reading text in your photos and can search by that.

I was looking for a picture of my TV I took a decade ago. Didn't know the exact date but searching for "American Idol" as a long shot pulled it right up (the picture had the show name on the screen).