Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Zero One posted:

I found out recently it's pretty good at reading text in your photos and can search by that.

I was looking for a picture of my TV I took a decade ago. Didn't know the exact date but searching for "American Idol" as a long shot pulled it right up (the picture had the show name on the screen).

Why were you watching american idol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Because a family member was on it. The picture is of them on the show.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Zero One posted:

Because a family member was on it. The picture is of them on the show.

Noice

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

What do y'all like for budget apps? I would ilke: icloud syncing between MY WIFE and myself, and to be able to sync my accounts. I dont have the desire to manually sync poo poo. I have wings credit union if that matters,

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Is there a way to select some pleasant photos to show up in the photos widget like a happy photo album for yourself? Currently seems to assemble albums with some AI mess to display whenever it wants. Don’t really need some AI mess displaying an “early moments together” with the ex from 2014 or whatever but would like a pleasurable album or two.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Is there a way to select some pleasant photos to show up in the photos widget like a happy photo album for yourself? Currently seems to assemble albums with some AI mess to display whenever it wants. Don’t really need some AI mess displaying an “early moments together” with the ex from 2014 or whatever but would like a pleasurable album or two.

You can’t select an album with the built-in Photos app widget, it’s always auto-generated. If you’ve tagged up the face detection it runs in the background (Albums -> People & Pets) you can view a person and from the 3-dot menu select “Feature [ex’s name] less”.

If you really want to manage it yourself Widgetsmith has better options for showing just a single picture or (looks like, I haven’t tried it) specific albums.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

kri kri posted:

What do y'all like for budget apps? I would ilke: icloud syncing between MY WIFE and myself, and to be able to sync my accounts. I dont have the desire to manually sync poo poo. I have wings credit union if that matters,

Been using copilot for about the last 6/mo. It’s different but I like it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

atomicpile posted:

Been using copilot for about the last 6/mo. It’s different but I like it.

Yeah I’m trying that, also trying Piere as well.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve just noticed the 🙂‍↕️ and 🙂‍↔️ emoji are visibly smaller than all the other yellow face emoji and I’m not happy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I need to rant about the Google calendar app for a bit because holy poo poo it’s bad.

First issue is if I get a new calendar invite for an event there’s no notifications whatsoever and the app doesn’t even have a badge notification. (Yes all notifications are enabled)

Second when an event does happen there is also no notifications and doing some Google I have to set up an alert for every single event because afaik there’s no global setting.

I guess I need to add the account to the iOS calendar.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
If we're talking Calendars, iOS's calendar infuriates me that is has no "always show events in local time" option.

I'm taking a trip to Vegas next month, and I've added a bunch of events to the calendar, and even though if you dig down you can see when the events start and stop in their local time (PDT), at a glance it only shows what they are in my home time zone (EDT).

So when I want to remind myself "when is my flight back from Vegas?", i can't just glance at the calendar, because it will show me 2pm when it's actually at 11am.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

MarcusSA posted:

I need to rant about the Google calendar app for a bit because holy poo poo it’s bad.

First issue is if I get a new calendar invite for an event there’s no notifications whatsoever and the app doesn’t even have a badge notification. (Yes all notifications are enabled)

Second when an event does happen there is also no notifications and doing some Google I have to set up an alert for every single event because afaik there’s no global setting.

I guess I need to add the account to the iOS calendar.

It’s a google product OP. Keep with Apple and you’re in the clear

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maudib Arakkis posted:

It’s a google product OP. Keep with Apple and you’re in the clear

Yeah I know but someone else uses it and adds stuff to my calendar lol.

Calendars shouldn’t be this irritating at this point.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

There’s always Fantastical if you’re into that?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My girlfriend emails me invites from her Google calendar and Calendar on my phone can no longer accept them and it’s so irritating.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Is there anyway to get the iPad keyboard into the iPhone? Because coming from android and having an iPad, the shift to the iPhone was like stepping back in time. How does your flagship product have such a dog poo poo keyboard?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I don’t think it would fit

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there anyway to get the iPad keyboard into the iPhone? Because coming from android and having an iPad, the shift to the iPhone was like stepping back in time. How does your flagship product have such a dog poo poo keyboard?

You can download Gboard and set it as your primary keyboard. Still not as good as it is on Android but significantly better than the stock iPhone keyboard IMO. I had the same reaction as you after getting a 15PM.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it types, that’s all i need it to do

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Demon_Corsair posted:

I can’t use android BECAUSE of the keyboard. I found it clunky and slow. This was years ago but I’ve adapted to the iOS keyboard maybe

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apple should just throw Android users a bone and have a setting that puts numbers above the letters without having to shift keyboards.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 13, 2024

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Corb3t posted:

Apple should just throw Android users a bone and have a setting that puts numbers above the letters without having to swift keyboards.

What’s so strange to me is that is how he iPad keyboard works. Numbers and symbols.

At least put a punctuation key on the main keyboard.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
It's been like a week now since 17.4 released - does the EU have any alternative browsers yet, like a true version of Chrome or Firefox that's not just a reskinned Safari? And has anyone done any performance comparisons?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Don't think anything like that has happened yet. Think I read something about Mozilla being annoyed with the changes now because they have to maintain two different browser versions now or something?

e: https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/26/24052067/mozilla-apple-ios-browser-rules-firefox

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Don't think anything like that has happened yet. Think I read something about Mozilla being annoyed with the changes now because they have to maintain two different browser versions now or something?

e: https://www.theverge.com/2024/1/26/24052067/mozilla-apple-ios-browser-rules-firefox

I thought lazy devs only existed in video gaming, guess not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kri kri posted:

Do you not watch WWDC presentations of cool new features that are easily implemented which never see the light of day in most 3rd party apps?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do you not watch WWDC?

Nope

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Won't Watch, Don't Care

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kri kri posted:

i don't think it's right to call them "lazy" - they're right, apple is basically making them ship two mostly different applications under the same name, one inside the EU and one outside it

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Arivia posted:

i don't think it's right to call them "lazy" - they're right, apple is basically making them ship two mostly different applications under the same name, one inside the EU and one outside it

I was being sarcastic

Also, why does Apple News show a headline for blocked news sources? I might have to stop using it again.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 15, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kri kri posted:

Also, why does Apple News show a headline for blocked news sources? I might have to stop using it again.

Either money (contracts obligate them to show those sources) or the story selecting code doesn't have access to your preferences and it does that part locally.

But either you way you should probably stop using it, it's a pretty half baked service. I like the idea but it's junk because it tries too hard to push promoted content.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I have news as part of the One bundle but it annoys me frequently. Like not being able to truly block, or the stupid ads. I tried that artifact thing for a bit for news and it was not great either and is defunct now I think. Meh.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

priznat posted:

Yeah I have news as part of the One bundle but it annoys me frequently. Like not being able to truly block, or the stupid ads. I tried that artifact thing for a bit for news and it was not great either and is defunct now I think. Meh.

I kind of liked artifact when it was a news agitator, before it tried to be a social media site. Just let me like or dislike a news article and feed me more or less of the same.

But yeah it went under.

The News app would be great if over 30% of the poo poo on it wasn’t News+ only crap trying to sell me a sub. I’d happily pay $20 to unlock a setting to just block all news+ content.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My dudes have you heard of RSS

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with RSS is sources regularly mess with the URL or straight up delete it so it turns into a janitor job trying to keep things going. Some of them farm it out to some kind of periodic scraping service and there can be a 24 hour delay before it actually hits your feed.

It's a cool idea and I've used it for 20 years but the modern internet has kinda ruined it.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Wow is this where my RSS peeps have been hiding? I’ve been using it religiously since college and still prefer it to any other content consumption method. I haven’t had too many issues with it in the last few years though it does take more upkeep than other methods.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The other problem with an RSS is that it just scrapes the content from the source regardless of what it is specifically about. This is fine if it's a niche website where you actually want to read all their stuff, less fine if you're trying to get a basket of articles from different sources on a single topic.

Yes there are other programs you can use to filter it but it turns into a janitorial job in and of itself.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Cyrano4747 posted:

The other problem with an RSS is that it just scrapes the content from the source regardless of what it is specifically about. This is fine if it's a niche website where you actually want to read all their stuff, less fine if you're trying to get a basket of articles from different sources on a single topic.

Yes there are other programs you can use to filter it but it turns into a janitorial job in and of itself.

You just use the RSS reader’s built-in search to see 20 different articles on the same topic. Of course, this presumes you’re subscribed to feeds that will cover those topics, but every big website still offers RSS feeds.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

kri kri posted:

I was being sarcastic

Apple News is only really good for seeing what The Discourse™ in mainstream media is for today and if the discourse includes topics or outlets you don't want to see then you're hosed. You cannot opt out.

Also I can't believe they turn on news notifications by default because there is no way that does anything for anybody except make their day worse. Beep beep, a bunch of loving people just died horribly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I used to use RSS readers all the time but these days I kinda just want the stories I might care about to bubble to the top and not have to manually look for them amidst the hundred articles a day places are being forced to spit out for SEO.

Sadly, Apple News is absolute trash when it comes to finding "stories I might care about".