Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MarcusSA posted:

Hey man they only had 8 months to beta test this give them a break (They've been doing A/B testing on this since at least oct.)

Lmao, if this is as good as we’re gonna get.. I really should migrate to an email service that isn’t harvesting information I suppose, but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

Lmao, if this is as good as we’re gonna get.. I really should migrate to an email service that isn’t harvesting information I suppose, but :effort:

Only the very best from google.com

Weedle
May 31, 2006

gmail is languishing as google shifts development focus to stadia

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Weedle posted:

gmail is languishing as google shifts development focus to stadia killing products

FTFY.

Gmail is trash. I use Fastmail and have for at least 7 years now. Best decision. There are other good providers, that one just happens to be my preferred.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Dick Nipples posted:

FTFY.

Gmail is trash. I use Fastmail and have for at least 7 years now. Best decision. There are other good providers, that one just happens to be my preferred.

Amen, switching to Fastmail years ago was one of my best choices second only to deleting my Facebook account.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I remember hearing a few years back that Gmail was going to stop mining people’s email for data? Did that ever happen? Or is it just a “yeah, suuuuuuuure you are :rolleyes: “ type thing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I remember hearing a few years back that Gmail was going to stop mining people’s email for data? Did that ever happen? Or is it just a “yeah, suuuuuuuure you are :rolleyes: “ type thing?

I get more targeted ads then ever now :shrug:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

Lol. What does your heart say?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They are just trying to improve the quality of your brand engagement experience.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, i spent the better part of the last year flipping back and forth between outlook and gmail and eventually just threw my hands up and bought a domain to use a third party mail host with and finally try to cut myself off from google at least to the extent that i can reasonably do so. it's been a great decision.

Violator
May 15, 2003

My big issue is that I can't find a service that does push that integrates with Mail.app. I don't want IMAP polling every 15 or 30 minutes. So right now I have the Gmail app installed for the instant notifications on my phone and watch and then I do all of my actual email stuff in Mail.app. It's kind of clunky but works.

Edit: I really don't know what the issue with Google allowing Apple to use push with Gmail is. I would think Google would want their email on as many platforms as possible if they're scanning your mail to build a profile of you. I guess if they stopped doing that as someone said then they only make money by showing ads in their own email client so they want you using that? I have no idea.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Dick Nipples posted:

FTFY.

Sell me on fast mail

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got a ProtonMail account but just been too lazy to migrate over.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Violator posted:

My big issue is that I can't find a service that does push that integrates with Mail.app. I don't want IMAP polling every 15 or 30 minutes. So right now I have the Gmail app installed for the instant notifications on my phone and watch and then I do all of my actual email stuff in Mail.app. It's kind of clunky but works.

Fastmail does push with the stock Mail.app

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I just use iCloud mail as my main account. It’s free and it works. :shrug:

Violator
May 15, 2003

vote_no posted:

Fastmail does push with the stock Mail.app

Well dang, it does. I'll wait a few months to see what the 37signals folks do with hey.com and if that's not a good fit I'll finally switch over to Fastmail.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doesn't every tier on Fastmail charge now? I used them or a decade+ for one of my emails, but moved away when they wanted $ off me for a tiny mailbox. Looks like they've increased it to a decent amount at the lowest tier now at least, it was like 20mb before.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Doesn't every tier on Fastmail charge now? I used them or a decade+ for one of my emails, but moved away when they wanted $ off me for a tiny mailbox. Looks like they've increased it to a decent amount at the lowest tier now at least, it was like 20mb before.

They do, but that's the whole point of moving away from services like Google.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Violator posted:

Well dang, it does. I'll wait a few months to see what the 37signals folks do with hey.com and if that's not a good fit I'll finally switch over to Fastmail.

I’m super excited to see what they do with hey.com

Probably the first software I’m interested in in a long time

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

$25/year gets you a decent size mailbox, and at that cost it might as well be free.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Violator posted:

Edit: I really don't know what the issue with Google allowing Apple to use push with Gmail is. I would think Google would want their email on as many platforms as possible if they're scanning your mail to build a profile of you. I guess if they stopped doing that as someone said then they only make money by showing ads in their own email client so they want you using that? I have no idea.

zoho mail provides exchange activesync and the basic mail service was $12/yr if the service you're waiting on doesn't come through.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

virinvictus posted:

I’m super excited to see what they do with hey.com

Probably the first software I’m interested in in a long time

I’m psyched on this too, but it’s a full stack solution that they’ve said is designed to work with THEIR app, so if people are looking for classic IMAP or whatever this ain’t it.

Basecamp still doesn’t have dark mode either, so people definitely shouldn’t hold their breath on Hey adopting new os features faster than Gmail.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'm looking for an alarm clock app. I have one on android that does a couple nice things: 1) schedule an alarm for a particular date, 2) change time of next occurrence/skip next occurrence of a repeating alarm without changing anything beyond that. Are there any iOS apps that do one or both of those? Every alarm app advertises making you do tricks to get it to stop or tracking sleep or doing gentle wake up or something, and I don't care about any of that, just more flexibility in setting and adjusting tines.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 15, 2020

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So google have finally bequeathed me with dark mode in gmail. I only found out by having to force quit the app and relaunch because the badge wasn’t updating my unread email count again.

edit: Only on my iPhone though, not my iPad.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 15, 2020

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Any recommendations on a good Adblock/VPN app? The one on my old phone was great, it blocked ads on YouTube and iHeartRadio among other apps without much slowdown. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be available on the App Store anymore.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You’d be best off setting up a PiHole and PiVPN and WireGuard-omg into your network to get some actual adblocking. Iirc most option on iOS are just for safari unless something has changed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Any recommendations on a good Adblock/VPN app? The one on my old phone was great, it blocked ads on YouTube and iHeartRadio among other apps without much slowdown. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be available on the App Store anymore.

Warbird posted:

You’d be best off setting up a PiHole and PiVPN and WireGuard-omg into your network to get some actual adblocking. Iirc most option on iOS are just for safari unless something has changed.

If all you want is adblocking, then just use NextDNS. Some recent discussion on this elsewhere is overwhelmingly positive. It’s essentially what Warbird is suggesting with setting up a PiHole except that you don’t need to deal with it.

The NextDNS app will set up a VPN profile so that it’s always enabled for the entire phone. You could also just edit your WiFi settings to set up the DNS servers yourself, but I don’t think that will work for the data connection.

If you want a VPN for privacy then I would suggest Mullvad. They have an app that sets up the VPN profile as well, but what I would recommend is to download the WireGuard app and set it up manually to work with Mullvad, because then you can set up NextDNS for your DNS servers (in the WireGuard config) and now you’ve got privacy* and adblocking. (This would also work for any other VPN service that supports WireGuard, which is what you should be looking for.)

*I mean, all you’re doing is shifting your data away from the eyes of your ISP/mobile provider and giving it to Mullvad and/or NextDNS and only you can make the call if that’s acceptable or not. Both services are very highly reviewed and praised though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Warbird posted:

Sell me on fast mail

I switched off from Gmail onto Fastmail ages ago and it has been working great. I wanted to have my own me@mydomain.com email address so my options at the time iirc were like the free Gsuites and some random web hosting providers. Gsuites was out since the whole point was to remove Google from the equation and Fastmail being a dedicated email service won out over the others.

Push IMAP is supported.

Your own domain name means you never have to change it again. If for some reason I wanted to use Gsuite again today then I could do so and I won’t need to tell everyone “hey new email who dis” cause nothing changes on their end.

Fastmail supports aliases which isn’t unique to them but it’s useful (I could email you as me@domain.com or hey@domain.com etc). I also have it set up so that emails send to like me@shopping.domain.com get forwarded to shopping+me@domain.com which can be useful for things like filtering rules or keeping track of which companies sold you out.

I don’t use their website much but it’s fast and minimal. It’s not bogged down by 100 MB of JavaScript. They have an iOS app but it’s literally just a wrapper around their website or so it seems so I don’t use it.

My plan is $45/year and lets me use unlimited(?) custom domains. It’s not meant for sharing with say family but if you had domain.com and domain.org then you could use both of them on the same account. I’m on a grandfathered plan though so I don’t know if the current plans are different other than being $50/year (the cheaper $30/year doesn’t support custom domains). This seems like a lot and there are people who are like “lol paying for email in 2020” so if you’re one of those people then this isn’t for you. But the way I see it, my email account is literally the most important account I have cause it’s the key to everything in my life, so I just treat it as a necessity.

That said the stupid thing is that lately I’ve been going back to giving “professional contacts” (recruiters, job applications, etc) my first.initial.last@gmail.com address instead of my personal one because it’s just so much easier. My custom domain is firstinitiallast.com and I found people are constantly forgetting the initial or write down something entirely different so having the periods in the gmail address makes it easier. :shrug:. I don’t use the gmail website or app though, it’s all just forwarded to my Fastmail account.

Edit: Speaking of email, is there an email app that will let me “share” emails into other apps and also has an accurate badge count? I’m trying out Spark again but it seems they haven’t fixed the badge counts yet and it’s just annoying as hell. On my iPhone where I checked email with Spark earlier the count is correct at 1 unread at the moment, but on my iPad where I haven’t opened the Spark app yet the count is at 7. That’s wrong and I shouldn’t have to open the drat app to have the badge updated. Yes background app updates are turned on.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 16, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So you're telling me I could get warbird@batmanbatmanbatman.biz going without having to deal with setting up a mailserver? I was just going to see if I could find a container to throw at the problem, but that might be a better solution if I want to start using it for something beyond the dumbest jokes possible.

Oh for sure. If you're willing to throw some money at the problem then this would likely produce better results and be less of a hassle. Really depends on how willing you are to tinker.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t use their website much but it’s fast and minimal. It’s not bogged down by 100 MB of JavaScript. They have an iOS app but it’s literally just a wrapper around their website or so it seems so I don’t use it.

The iOS app has received enough polish for me to use it instead of Mail.app for several months now, so you might want to give it another shot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warbird posted:

So you're telling me I could get warbird@batmanbatmanbatman.biz going without having to deal with setting up a mailserver? I was just going to see if I could find a container to throw at the problem, but that might be a better solution if I want to start using it for something beyond the dumbest jokes possible.

Yes, almost all hosting providers will let you set up a custom domain. It generally requires you to be paying for a DNS registration somewhere (I get mine via digitalocean because I have a droplet there) but all you have to do is set up an MX record to identify your hosting provider as handling your email.

They should list it in their features list when you view their plans. Like mailfence lists it as "custom email domain" for their paid plans. https://mailfence.com/

I strongly recommend something like this over self hosted. Running an email server loving sucks, even for just one person. The spam management alone is a full time job.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

xzzy posted:

:words:

I strongly recommend something like this over self hosted. Running an email server loving sucks, even for just one person. The spam management alone is a full time job.

Never mind getting your server’s reputation up sufficiently such that Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo won’t bounce your emails nonstop. That’s really the biggest problem IMO - if you aren’t a long running reputable server, it’s a pain to get your mail reputable.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Edison email client had some... issues... so change yo passwords.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/16/edison-mail-sync-bug/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Violator posted:

Edison email client had some... issues... so change yo passwords.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/16/edison-mail-sync-bug/

Also revoke any access to accounts Edison might have, this is not a “oopsie” level mistake.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

You know, I looked into Edison for all of 5 minutes and turned away when I saw that they provide a free app because they take your email data and do poo poo with it. It’s not hidden or nefarious; they use like shopping habits and stuff to help you find cheaper products and so on… basically I guess it’s what Google does with Gmail. Except, this is a random company who may or may not be secure, and Google I can safely sleep knowing that I’m never going to wake up reading about how my email is showing up in random people’s inboxes.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I just recently started using Edison despite some concerns, so now I feel like a right idiot.

Back to Outlook it is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What's a dog simple app to keep track of 'streaks'? Habits that I want to jump in real simple and mark that I did them in a given day and see how long I've kept it going. Don't need anything fancy, don't need reminders or anything. Open app, push button, good to go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TraderStav posted:

What's a dog simple app to keep track of 'streaks'? Habits that I want to jump in real simple and mark that I did them in a given day and see how long I've kept it going. Don't need anything fancy, don't need reminders or anything. Open app, push button, good to go.

Logsit. Free, does exactly what you're asking for, and no ads. It's a rare app store gem.

I guess it doesn't really track "streaks" but it's easy to look at the history and spot holes. It exports to CSV too so it's easy to get really nerdy with it if you want.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

xzzy posted:

Logsit. Free, does exactly what you're asking for, and no ads. It's a rare app store gem.

I guess it doesn't really track "streaks" but it's easy to look at the history and spot holes. It exports to CSV too so it's easy to get really nerdy with it if you want.

Perfect, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

The popular choice for this kind of thing is actually called Streaks.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/streaks/id963034692