Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Diabolik900 posted:

The popular choice for this kind of thing is actually called Streaks.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/streaks/id963034692

Thanks. Looks like overkill for what I need and free beats that. Appreciate the recc though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, is this finally the app that can keep track of haircuts?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The latest iOS/iPadOS kindle apps now lose your book’s position if you background or kill the app. Thanks amazon!

Looks like that was a thing (didn't see it personally). Should be fixed now. Latest release notes mention it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there no longer an iOS games thread? It’s gonna rain here for 10 days and I’m itching for a tower defense game I can play on my iPad that lets me draw mazes of towers.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rolo posted:

Is there no longer an iOS games thread? It’s gonna rain here for 10 days and I’m itching for a tower defense game I can play on my iPad that lets me draw mazes of towers.

It's in the Mobile Gaming subforum

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Didn’t even know that sub existed. Thanks!

Violator
May 15, 2003

God drat I hate the iOS system keyboard. Every loving thing I type is wrong. Every url, every txt, every email, everything every time. It’s a constant challenge. One would think after a decade plus either I would learn to type on it or it would better correct my mistakes. I think I generally press too far to the left or right on some letters for some reason and auto correct works correctly like half the time. I should setup a camera and record what I’m tapping compared to what I should be typing. I swear to Krull that I typed super well on the smaller earlier iPhones for some reason.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Violator posted:

God drat I hate the iOS system keyboard. Every loving thing I type is wrong. Every url, every txt, every email, everything every time. It’s a constant challenge. One would think after a decade plus either I would learn to type on it or it would better correct my mistakes. I think I generally press too far to the left or right on some letters for some reason and auto correct works correctly like half the time. I should setup a camera and record what I’m tapping compared to what I should be typing. I swear to Krull that I typed super well on the smaller earlier iPhones for some reason.

Yeah I’m getting way worse/more errors in the last couple years.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mine does a cool thing where sometimes it replaces ‘s at the end of words with .’a

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
That’s machine learning for you. Stock keyboard still the best keyboard, IMO.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Mine nonstop changes live to love.

YEAH I USED TO LOVE poo poo LOVE gently caress LOVE THERE god drat it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Snowy posted:

Yeah I’m getting way worse/more errors in the last couple years.

You’ve turned off the swipe stuff, right? Because that being on made my accuracy go to hell; turned it off and it was back to normal. Something about the swipe detection is very not good with normal typing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Huh I didn’t know about this slide to type mode I will try it out a bit before turning it off. Might explain why the keyboard seems more typo prone.

Need to teach it to capitalize I though.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

crestfallen posted:

That’s machine learning for you. Stock keyboard still the best keyboard, IMO.

Gboard is better, it’s just a shame 3rd party keyboards are still a little gimped (or I assume they are, haven’t tried one in awhile)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kalman posted:

You’ve turned off the swipe stuff, right? Because that being on made my accuracy go to hell; turned it off and it was back to normal.

Yeah I had the same thing happen and turned it off. Still my accuracy on an 8 plus is worse than it was on a 5 or 6. Especially something they did with the . and the space bar that makes me put periods where spaces should be. Just in that last sentence I ended up with “something g “ and had to go back and fix it. I don’t really stutter with my typing usually :v:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I’ve been having typing issues ever since moving up to the iPhone 6 size and above, long before swipe was a thing. Using a XS now and still making way more mistakes than I ever did on my 4 and 5.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I do sometimes wonder if they're invisibly changing size of touch targets for keys "intelligently" as per this ancient patent -> https://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/31/apple_granted_patent_for_predictive_text_input_ui.html

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Weedle posted:

mine does a cool thing where sometimes it replaces ‘s at the end of words with .’a

I swipe almost exclusively and it’s pretty good, except for this happening, group is often replaced with grotto (a word I’ve never intentionally used until right now), and a few other occasional weird errors (oh, and word/weird being wrong half the time regardless of which one I’m trying to use)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Wheezle posted:

I do sometimes wonder if they're invisibly changing size of touch targets for keys "intelligently" as per this ancient patent -> https://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/31/apple_granted_patent_for_predictive_text_input_ui.html

Yes they've always done this as far as I can tell. Seems to be passed along by backup/restore as well. I find it much harder to type on my wife's phone than mine, and vice versa.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My favorite autocorrect is spay -> slay, as in, “I slayed my cat today.”

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there any way to sort the songs in an Apple Music playlist? I add things randomly and I wish it didn’t just throw it to the bottom.

Also sorting would make it easier to find dupes. I do not want to manually drag and drop 100+ songs either.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

My favorite autocorrect is spay -> slay, as in, “I slayed my cat today.”

How often are you spaying cats??

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Is there any way to sort the songs in an Apple Music playlist? I add things randomly and I wish it didn’t just throw it to the bottom.

Also sorting would make it easier to find dupes. I do not want to manually drag and drop 100+ songs either.

view the playlist in the desktop app (music or itunes). then in some menu, i think it's "view," you can change the displayed sort order to what you want (artist, album, song title, etc.) then once you're looking at the sorted playlist right-click/cmd-click the whitespace around its title and select "copy to play order" from the context menu. this is the intuitive design for which apple is so famous

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sometimes the selected sort order in itunes will be reflected on your phone without having to do the "copy to play order" part, but not always, and i don't know why

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I am really glad I asked because I would have neeeeever figured that out.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the main thing that keeps me away from apple music is all the dumb bullshit you have to use the desktop app for

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Weedle posted:

the main thing that keeps me away from apple music is all the dumb bullshit you have to use the desktop app for

Yeah as a PC user it especially sucks. I have the family plan now but might just try moving to something else. Now that everything works with carplay there is less reason to stick with apple.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Rolo posted:

This reminds me of something that I think is somewhat new for the iPhone music app. When you try to add a track to a playlist that already has that track in it, it now warns you and asks if you still want to add it. Doesn't help if it's the same version of a song on a different album, but it's better than it was before where it would let you add the same song multiple times with no warning.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Weedle posted:

What sort of dumb bullshit is that at this point? I don’t know if they advertised it very widely, but there’s an official web client now that seeeeeeems to work okay?

Also I feel like I must be the only person with relatively few complaints about the keyboard? I don’t use it very frequently, but I remember being told years ago that if there are weird autocorrects that seem to trigger randomly and/or all the time when you don’t want them, add a word substitution for the exact word to be substituted with that word and iOS supposedly will stop replacing it (ie. gently caress > gently caress, so it doesn’t try to correct it to duck). I’m not sure if that’s the case anymore, but it might be worth trying for some folks.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 23, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

What sort of dumb bullshit is that at this point? I don’t know if they advertised it very widely, but there’s an official web client now that seeeeeeems to work okay?

There’s a lot of little stuff for managing your library. On iOS, you can’t make smart playlists or playlist folders, you can’t move a playlist to a new folder, your can’t move Apple Music curated playlists into a folder, etc.

Basically for any sort of library maintenance you still need the desktop app.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the web client is fine for playback and adding/deleting stuff but if you wanna do smart playlists, metadata editing, uploading your own tracks, genius mixes, playlist sorting, among other things you have to use the desktop app. it stinks! just put that stuff in the ios app! it's been six years!

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The ubiquity and experience of Spotify absolutely destroys Apple Music. I would love to move away from it but being able to play anywhere, pick up where I left off, and share a family account with people I’m not also on an iCloud family plan with is just too good.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

maduin posted:

The ubiquity and experience of Spotify absolutely destroys Apple Music. I would love to move away from it but being able to play anywhere, pick up where I left off, and share a family account with people I’m not also on an iCloud family plan with is just too good.

This

also google just removed dark mode from gcal for me. wtf

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jazz Marimba posted:

also google just removed dark mode from gcal for me. wtf

Probably said something bad about google online.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Is Google like this with Android or is it only mean pettiness towards iPhone users?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lol mean pettiness towards iOS users

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is Google like this with Android or is it only mean pettiness towards iPhone users?

It happens on Android too. It’s just because all their poo poo is controlled server-side and they A/B test like loving crazy without people realizing it.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Anyone getting a bunch of old app updates in their update list?

I know I've installed these before and I'm seeing some from weeks ago and some from January. It's weird

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

101 posted:

Anyone getting a bunch of old app updates in their update list?

I know I've installed these before and I'm seeing some from weeks ago and some from January. It's weird

Yeah I have about 15 right now, weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi

Why does the download and install button for system updates not actually install? Like it does the download just fine but I have to go back in and tap install for it to do anything.

Like I swear to god it’s been that way for years.

Also my phone doesn’t automatically update anymore so there’s that.

It’s been saying that since the update dropped.