Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

got gcal dark mode back lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I do have to apologize a little for giving a lol at “mean pettiness to iOS users” because apparently google sheets can’t do paste special, which while it isn’t mean pettiness, is extremely dumb

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh weird, my Google app proper has dark mode now. That’s nice. I think I have the whole set now.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Bit of a dumb question here, but is there any way in the iOS FB Messenger app to get rid of those circle profile pictures at the top of the chats list for people who have posted stories or are online? I never use them and for some reason the people are the front of the list is always people I've either not actually chatted with in years or people I actively dislike but had to talk to once out of necessity and isn't on my friends list.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Question Mark Mound posted:

Bit of a dumb question here, but is there any way in the iOS FB Messenger app to get rid of those circle profile pictures at the top of the chats list for people who have posted stories or are online? I never use them and for some reason the people are the front of the list is always people I've either not actually chatted with in years or people I actively dislike but had to talk to once out of necessity and isn't on my friends list.

Nope. Facebook is pushing stories and such really hard on most of their platforms so you can really only expect this to get more intrusive.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I feel the same way about the iOS 13 share sheet. :(

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Ganguro King posted:

Isn’t that customisable?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ganguro King posted:

Here’s the thing, if Messenger would actually support Share Sheet I’d be all for that! Third party apps can definitely be listed there since I see Discord channels show up in there sometimes but for some reason Facebook just aren’t gonna do the work to make it easier to use their platform.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Sri.Theo posted:

Isn’t that customisable?

It is! Jailbreak your device using unc0ver and install "NoCShare" to get rid of the contacts at the top of the share sheet.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
So, no, it's not then.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If that got rid of the weird "swipe to take a photo" mis-feature then it would totally be worth it.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Probably a niche situation like the haircut app request but here goes.

I'm on a team of roughly ~16 members which, depending on the day of the week, can each be in one of 3-4 locations.

Currently, we have a small Excel spreadsheet that outlines this, e.g.

I'm not looking for an app-specific to this situation, but something other than throwing the spreadsheet on my phone or creating a separate Google Calendar to turn on/off with everyone for each day.

It's just a pain because often we have to coordinate in-person meetings and/or involve hard copies of sensitive documents.

Maybe there's some sort of software meant or not meant for this that I'm missing or perhaps I'm overcomplicating things.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 27, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Need to know more about the data.

Who is inputting and managing it?
Are the sites pretty set or do they change?
Is there any kind of normalcy or stuff you can assume with person + location?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

The Dave posted:

Need to know more about the data.

Who is inputting and managing it?
Are the sites pretty set or do they change?
Is there any kind of normalcy or stuff you can assume with person + location?

It's an untouched Excel spreadsheet on our shared drive since April. Only our supervisor would change anything with it and that would be after lengthy discussion, so little/if any changes would happen.

Sites are static, along with working from home status. It's either one of the sites or working from home.

Like the above, all can be assumed normal for person + location, unless obviously someone is sick or on vacation.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if it's a static spreadsheet i would say any solution other than "putting the spreadsheet on your phone" is overcomplicating things. if you really want to get fancy you could put it in a shared cloud drive so if your supe does make changes it's automatically reflected on everyone's device and they don't have to remember to get the new copy. maybe you're already doing this

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Share the spreadsheet on OneDrive or Google Sheets, problem solved.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If only there was an app where you could put events into and assign them to a specific day and/or time. Such an app could have a spot to put in the location, and maybe a way to invite participants so that they can see the events and get notifications for them. It could also have a way to make events repeat once a week or whatever. Maybe it could even offer a feature to tell you when people are available for meetings.

Alas such an app doesn’t exist yet in 2020 that would give you this type of Outlook.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 27, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

EconOutlines posted:

Probably a niche situation like the haircut app request but here goes.

I'm on a team of roughly ~16 members which, depending on the day of the week, can each be in one of 3-4 locations.

Currently, we have a small Excel spreadsheet that outlines this, e.g.

I'm not looking for an app-specific to this situation, but something other than throwing the spreadsheet on my phone or creating a separate Google Calendar to turn on/off with everyone for each day.

It's just a pain because often we have to coordinate in-person meetings and/or involve hard copies of sensitive documents.

Maybe there's some sort of software meant or not meant for this that I'm missing or perhaps I'm overcomplicating things.

We do (did) something similar to track presence/remote at each of our two offices, so I think workable for you.

Make a Google Calendar for each site and share with all team members. Add (as whole day events) team members who are present at a site to a given day. That’s probably the easiest solution.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

When you switch to an app, it will show a cached screenshot of the app for a moment before the app actually loads. On my iPad, a lot of apps have been stuck with a random screenshot from literal years ago. It’s a very minor problem to have (none of the images show anything sensitive or offensive) but is there a way to refresh these?

They’ve all been stuck for years, across multiple restarts and iOS upgrades. I’ve always assumed they would update eventually, but I guess not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tankadillo posted:

When you switch to an app, it will show a cached screenshot of the app for a moment before the app actually loads. On my iPad, a lot of apps have been stuck with a random screenshot from literal years ago. It’s a very minor problem to have (none of the images show anything sensitive or offensive) but is there a way to refresh these?

They’ve all been stuck for years, across multiple restarts and iOS upgrades. I’ve always assumed they would update eventually, but I guess not.

AFAIK no.

I remember reading I think it was the iPhone thread where someone was asking that same question because the app was showing a conversation from a dead relative and they really would rather have not seen that every time.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK no.

I remember reading I think it was the iPhone thread where someone was asking that same question because the app was showing a conversation from a dead relative and they really would rather have not seen that every time.

Bummer. Weirdly enough, Messages, and several other apps, always display the most up-to-date preview. But others are perpetually frozen in the past. Oh well.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK no.

iirc it was an ex with messages from just before a nasty breakup, and also iirc reformatting fixed it? it’s def the nuclear option

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jazz Marimba posted:

iirc it was an ex with messages from just before a nasty breakup, and also iirc reformatting fixed it? it’s def the nuclear option

Well death breakup same thing!

You are right though I miss remembered.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

I’m looking for a simple calendar/reminder solution. For some reason I don’t like either the built-in or google calendars. Maybe I just need to fully commit to one or the other? I can’t articulate what it is that I don’t like, but maybe someone feels the same and can point me to an alternative?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

devilmonk posted:

I’m looking for a simple calendar/reminder solution. For some reason I don’t like either the built-in or google calendars. Maybe I just need to fully commit to one or the other? I can’t articulate what it is that I don’t like, but maybe someone feels the same and can point me to an alternative?

Bullet Journaling? Emacs Org-mode?

More seriously, it's hard to make recommendations without a qualitative reason why you don't like stock ones or Google solutions, because there are SO many applications/solutions in the space, but most of their value from what I've seen is some combination of aesthetic, input differentiation, differing views into your existing calendar/reminders, and service integration related. Are you frustrated with both of them as both Reminder AND Calendars, or just one half of that functionality?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Cross posting from the fitness questions thread:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an Apple Watch app that can give me pace prompts by heart rate? My sports are generally cycling and running. I got a chest strap monitor and I’m looking to improve my cardio since I guess lifting is gone forever now.

As an aside, that cheap dash brand chest strap monitor doesn’t gently caress around. Here’s a light run and an all-out 5k. One with just the watch sensor and the other with the chest strap. I am very slow.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

devilmonk posted:

For calendars, you could try looking into Fantastical, BusyCal (never used, but I've see it mentioned), or "Calendars" by Readdle. Both Outlook and Spark Email also come with calendar viewers, so you could try those as well. In the end you just need to pick a calendar app that looks good to you because it all uses the same backends (and you can still keep using Google Calendars, just use a different app to access them).

For reminders… there are a million different reminder apps out there. Some of them are webbased with an iOS app, some of them are iOS-first/only apps. Nearly all of them use their own proprietary backends, but some of them build on top of Apple Reminders. The important thing to consider here is where you plan on using the app. If you're only going to use it on an iOS device then it's not a big deal but if you would like to use it on a Windows PC or something as well then that's going to affect your choice. I think if you articulate what you didn't like about Reminders.app or what you're looking for you would be able to get better help in this regard. But some common reminder apps are like Todoist, Things, OmniFocus, Due, Microsoft Todos, etc.

e: Also some have one-time purchases, some are subscriptions, some are freemium. Picking which pricing model you're ok with is also going to filter out a ton of apps.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 29, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

Cross posting from the fitness questions thread:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an Apple Watch app that can give me pace prompts by heart rate? My sports are generally cycling and running. I got a chest strap monitor and I’m looking to improve my cardio since I guess lifting is gone forever now.

As an aside, that cheap dash brand chest strap monitor doesn’t gently caress around. Here’s a light run and an all-out 5k. One with just the watch sensor and the other with the chest strap. I am very slow.

I asked this before and I think the recommendation was "Zones".

That second picture is what annoys the gently caress out of me about my watch. The first 10 minutes are never recorded for some reason or it's just always wrong.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I asked this before and I think the recommendation was "Zones".

That second picture is what annoys the gently caress out of me about my watch. The first 10 minutes are never recorded for some reason or it's just always wrong.

Zones for sure. I use it for HIIT and sprint workouts. Basically my next sprint starts if my heartrate drops too low.

Solid app. Definitely still use it after 3 years or so now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dick Nipples posted:

Zones for sure. I use it for HIIT and sprint workouts. Basically my next sprint starts if my heartrate drops too low.

Solid app. Definitely still use it after 3 years or so now.

Are you guys talking about this Zones?

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/zones-for-training/id1139688415

I can only see like, retroactive info here. Is there an option to create a workout where it yells at you to stay in a specific zone?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Incidentally, I had been looking for the same thing. Very cool!

The copy also says:

quote:

◎ Monitor real-time exercise intensity and heart rate during workouts. (Apple Watch only)
[...]
※ Measurement function is only available on the Apple Watch.
Does it support an external HRM?

I tried checking out their website, but it's essentially just a pretty image and link to the app store.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hey girl you up posted:

Incidentally, I had been looking for the same thing. Very cool!

The copy also says:
Does it support an external HRM?

I tried checking out their website, but it's essentially just a pretty image and link to the app store.

I'll give it a go. Otherwise it seems like Runmeter (which I bought back in the 3GS days) does alerts based on HR zone, which is a custom range. I think it now needs a pro sub to use an external monitor (and an Apple Watch app), though. I'll try their free trial next time I run if this Zones thing doesn't work out. It advertises itself as "advanced" which, just like Goodreader, just means "bad UI" but I love it regardless.

As for whether it uses external monitors, I think that's handled by the watch. My chest strap monitor just syncs over bluetooth and turns off the optical sensor, passing all the chest strap's data as HR readings, even in the heart rate app.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

tuyop posted:

I can only see like, retroactive info here. Is there an option to create a workout where it yells at you to stay in a specific zone?

So at least in my case, it has haptic notifications when you move between heart rate zones. I’m not sure if they’re configurable but I just use them as guide for staying 140+ and 165+.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Ok I gave it a go on a light 30-minute run with my wife. I do like how simple the app is and the heart rate notifications were audible and plenty firm.

I imagine in the paid version (love that it’s a one-time payment) I can customize distance/time for a run or cycle, right? Because as it is I was only able to press run and just kind of go. I guess I could just use a timer if that’s not available?

I’ll post about Runmeter for the next run as well, giving their free trial a go.

tuyop posted:

Ok I gave it a go on a light 30-minute run with my wife. I do like how simple the app is and the heart rate notifications were audible and plenty firm.

I imagine in the paid version (love that it’s a one-time payment) I can customize distance/time for a run or cycle, right? Because as it is I was only able to press run and just kind of go. I guess I could just use a timer if that’s not available?

I’ll post about Runmeter for the next run as well, giving their free trial a go.

Runmeter gets disqualified because the Watch app requires you to carry your phone.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 31, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Honestly, you might get more answers posting in the running thread in the fitness forums, if you can’t find any reviews of it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a good app for keeping score at a card game? I often play Rummy and it would be useful if I had an app that allowed me to enter the scores at the end of a round and, crucially, would show whose turn it is to be the dealer.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a good app for keeping score at a card game? I often play Rummy and it would be useful if I had an app that allowed me to enter the scores at the end of a round and, crucially, would show whose turn it is to be the dealer.

Scorekeeper XL is an awesome score keeping app. Easy to use, easy to read, and very transparent (in case someone is a little less than honest). And it's free.

For better and for worse, you cannot enter a score directly: there's just the +/- buttons and the reset button in the bottom left (which lets you set everyone to the same score, 0 or otherwise). If you're playing 500, that could get obnoxious.

There's no special "keep track of dealer" thing, but you could make "Dealer" a score with 1 = Ann, 2 = Bob, etc.

If people are getting confused, I'd personally just use a button like in a poker room: put some distinct token in front of whomever is dealing. Or probably have the person behind the dealer update scores and pass the phone/tablet around.

Other buttons: edit players, sort ascending/descending, sound effects on/off (it never plays sound with the mute switch on, though).

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 31, 2020

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I'd like a way to save web content for reference later, grouped into different projects and (ideally) saving the content as it is at that time, rather than just a URL where the content could change later. This is basically to minimise keeping browser tabs open that I research, find an answer but don't have time to do at that moment.

I'm sure there are a ton of apps/solutions out there for this - e.g. printing to PDF and saving into iBooks would work, but I'm assuming there would be nicer alternatives. I know there's apps like Pocket, but I already use that for longform articles I haven't got around to reading; this is more for saving recipes/tips/todo notes/ideas for various projects I'm working on.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Froist posted:

I'd like a way to save web content for reference later, grouped into different projects and (ideally) saving the content as it is at that time, rather than just a URL where the content could change later. This is basically to minimise keeping browser tabs open that I research, find an answer but don't have time to do at that moment.

I'm sure there are a ton of apps/solutions out there for this - e.g. printing to PDF and saving into iBooks would work, but I'm assuming there would be nicer alternatives. I know there's apps like Pocket, but I already use that for longform articles I haven't got around to reading; this is more for saving recipes/tips/todo notes/ideas for various projects I'm working on.

Evernote web clipper is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Froist posted:

It’s pricey but I’ve used DEVONthink for this workflow for years. There are a few others out there but none that have great iOS support from what I recall.

The iOS version of DEVONthink was about $20 when I bought it? I use it in my Macs as well so I have the desktop version which is about $200.

It might be overkill for your use case. I use it for three things:

- home office digitization - scanning documents/receipts/contracts and applying OCR on them

- web archiving sites that have useful information I want to be able to access

- capturing arbitrary content that isn’t long form article to review later

EDIT: oh right. Evernote is still a thing. I think OneNote also has some capabilities like that