Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FCKGW posted:

There aren’t any as far as I know. PIP/background playback on iOS is a redline for YouTube and they’ve sent C&D notices to anyone who tried.

not directly, but i use cornertube. you can share youtube video urls to it and it’ll make them pip. not the most convenient, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sleepwalkers posted:

not directly, but i use cornertube. you can share youtube video urls to it and it’ll make them pip. not the most convenient, but oh well.

Thanks, I have whatever shortcut it is that lets me do the same. Will hope something slips through the net again soon.

Shame Google have made YouTube Premium so expensive, for £2 a month I might just pay, but £11.99 in the UK is just a joke.

And I already get PiP and adfree on desktop anyway.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My Reeder 3 app seems to not work anymore, is it just too old? Seems like after the 14.4 update. When I try to open the settings for the link to inoreader it just boots me back to the home screen.

Is there a good newer rss reader these days? Maybe a newer reeder? I looked at upgrading to 4 but there wasn’t really any reason to but maybe on 5 or whatever it is now.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

XBenedict posted:

Castro has the same features, including the ability to customize the settings on a per podcast basis. It also has a better UI imo.

I just wish they had an iPad app

Violator
May 15, 2003

priznat posted:

My Reeder 3 app seems to not work anymore, is it just too old? Seems like after the 14.4 update. When I try to open the settings for the link to inoreader it just boots me back to the home screen.

Is there a good newer rss reader these days? Maybe a newer reeder? I looked at upgrading to 4 but there wasn’t really any reason to but maybe on 5 or whatever it is now.

I really like NetNewsWire.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

Reeder 3.2.4 still works fine for me on iOS 14.4, iPhone 12 Pro. I'm not 100% sure what you mean about the inoreader part as I use Feedly for the sync, but I can open Settings -> Add Account > Inoreader without it crashing. Not gone further than the email/password prompt though as I don't have an account..

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Violator posted:

PocketCasts for sale:
https://jamesrcridland.medium.com/pocket-casts-for-sale-where-did-it-go-wrong-ba7d551cd1d9

Well poo poo. I love PocketCasts but this doesn't sound good. I think it's a lot better than Overcast and the default app. I did find it weird that after they got bought out by a collection of public radio groups so they could afford to spend more time innovating that there were no major innovations or radical features released. I do respect that Marco releases big updates (speed boost, trim silence, clip sharing, etc) relatively frequently even if I hate the UI and UX.

I was a big Overcast user until PocketCasts introduced streaming on the Apple Watch. Does any other Podcast app do that? It's a niche thing I figure but it's really nice.

Edit: Aside from Apple Podcasts which does stream but I think I'd miss the speed and trim silence features.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 30, 2021

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Violator posted:

I really like NetNewsWire.

Same. I swapped from Reeder out of curiosity and nostalgia a year back and it stuck.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

what's a good .cbr reader?

also

what's a good pdf/mobi reader?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what's a good .cbr reader?

also

what's a good pdf/mobi reader?

CBR: Panels
PDF: GoodReader
MOBI: Yomu

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

I’d go with Marvin over Yomu for the mobi’s.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Marvin fuckin rules.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

marvin's customization is unmatched but it hasn't been updated in over three years and crashes all the time for me now. i wish anyone still cared about working on that app

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Check out Chunky for cbrs also

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Anyone use the app Paprika? I’m trying to use the grocery list part of it but it’s being weird. I have my ingredients in the form “amount unit item” like it says to, eg

100 gram flour

When I add it to the grocery list it says I need to buy “gram flour” like it thinks that’s the item name.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Gram flour is a real ingredient so that might be confusing it. (Maybe try abbreviating gram to g?)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Get the gram flour and make some delicious papadums!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it'll occasionally do weird things if a unit of measurement can be part of an item. You'll have to manually edit those, obviously.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Huh I has no idea it was a thing. It’s chickpea flour?

E: Also is there a way to get it to recognize headers in the ingredients list? Like for example if my ingredients looks like

Cake
100 things ingredient1
200 things ingredient2

Icing
5 things ingredient3

If I add the recipe to my shopping list it’ll add “Cake” and “Icing” as items.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 6, 2021

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Huh I has no idea it was a thing. It’s chickpea flour?

E: Also is there a way to get it to recognize headers in the ingredients list? Like for example if my ingredients looks like

Cake
100 things ingredient1
200 things ingredient2

Icing
5 things ingredient3

If I add the recipe to my shopping list it’ll add “Cake” and “Icing” as items.

I think if you add a colon after the heading it’ll do that. It still allows you to cross it out in the ingredients list but it won’t show up in the grocery list.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The meditation app Balance has a free year trial going on right now. I just signed up via Apple and canceled the subscription immediately. I have access until February 2022.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I think if you add a colon after the heading it’ll do that. It still allows you to cross it out in the ingredients list but it won’t show up in the grocery list.

Oh yeah that works thanks.

If I start a Paprika timer on the iPhone app it buzzes my watch but when I start it from the iPad app it doesn’t buzz my watch. Moreover timers started on the iPad doesn’t seem to sync over to phone. Is this a limitation?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'm in the market for a new weather app over the default one, but I'm looking for a few specific features that I haven't seen in things like Carrot or Weather Line, which some friends suggested to me.
I'm fine with paying money for any and all of these, but not a subscription:

- Widget support
- Real and "Feels Like" temperatures in the same 2x4 widget for the current hour/day, plus a basic 2-4 day forecast

Anything else like humidex, wind, or switching to precipitation like the default app is also appreciated, but not a priority, I just really want both temperatures in the same window without having to use a bigass 4x4 widget.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm in the market for a new weather app over the default one, but I'm looking for a few specific features that I haven't seen in things like Carrot or Weather Line, which some friends suggested to me.
I'm fine with paying money for any and all of these, but not a subscription:

- Widget support
- Real and "Feels Like" temperatures in the same 2x4 widget for the current hour/day, plus a basic 2-4 day forecast

Anything else like humidex, wind, or switching to precipitation like the default app is also appreciated, but not a priority, I just really want both temperatures in the same window without having to use a bigass 4x4 widget.

Accuweather does this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Accuweather does this.

Yeah, that works. Thanks.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Anyone having issues with Spotify downloaded music? My downloaded playlists appear to not be downloaded randomly. However in iPhone storage Spotify is still taking up most of my storage.

Last time this happened it seemed to download the 18 gig quite quick which makes me think it’s a bug.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
It randomly deletes my local files once in a while. It got to the point where I just made a big playlist of all my local files that I can flip the download switch off/on quickly whenever it happens to re-download them. Not sure if it's the same bug as downloading their songs but yeah.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Is there a good internet radio app that isn’t TuneIn? I don’t mind TuneIn but I feel unhappy with ads just to be connected to someone else’s stream. Like shoutcast on my psp didn’t even do that

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

There's the Canadian version of TuneIn: Radio Canada

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/radio-canada-info/id364125647
One-time fee to get rid of (in-app banner/fullscreen) ads

No idea how it compares featurewise to TuneIn, since I don't use it, but it's all/mostly all real radio stations.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

Is there a good internet radio app that isn’t TuneIn? I don’t mind TuneIn but I feel unhappy with ads just to be connected to someone else’s stream. Like shoutcast on my psp didn’t even do that

I like Broadcasts. No ads whatsoever, $5 if you want to add more than 9 stations:

quote:

Listen to streaming internet radio in an ultra-simple, single-purpose app.
Sample the joys of free, public Irish radio on your device with the built-in presets, or upgrade to the full version and add your own stations from the Station Directory, or manually via URL — no subscription required. Feel free to edit the presets to try your own stations for free. Sync your library across iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV with iCloud & Universal Purchase.

Ganguro King fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 8, 2021

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Mister Facetious posted:

There's the Canadian version of TuneIn: Radio Canada

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/radio-canada-info/id364125647
One-time fee to get rid of (in-app banner/fullscreen) ads

No idea how it compares featurewise to TuneIn, since I don't use it, but it's all/mostly all real radio stations.

Did you link the wrong thing? That’s just the French-language CBC app.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My bad.
It's this one:

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/radio-canada-live-am-fm-tuner/id1048083224

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Thanks for the suggestions y’all! I think Broadcasts was exactly what I had in mind

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

im on the net me boys posted:

Thanks for the suggestions y’all! I think Broadcasts was exactly what I had in mind

Broadcasts also streams on the Apple Watch if yours is a cell model.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not being able to push an app from the app store through a browser is such a quality of life downgrade from Android that it makes me kind of grumpy. Not the end of the world, but, it should work that way.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Skeezy posted:

Broadcasts also streams on the Apple Watch if yours is a cell model.

I just got my used Series 3 in the mail and it’s apparently a cellular model despite the seller not saying so

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I know asking about todo apps are a :can: but I’m looking for a new one cause Things isn’t working out for me anymore.

What I need are the ability to set a due date, and a date that I can/should do it (eg credit card is due on the 20th, and I want it to remind me to pay it on the 10th). This is something that Things can do.

What Things doesn’t let me do is set up tasks that are dependent on each other. Tasks that I can’t do until I’ve done something else. With Things you can either use a tag for it or put it on the “someday” list to hide it. Both aren’t optimal, and the tags thing doesn’t work because...

I need a way to filter items both with a tag, or without a specific tag. With Things, for those dependent tasks I could tag them “waiting” or something like that, but there is no way to tell
Things to show me all tasks without the “waiting” tag.

Finally, it would be cool if there was an online version. I know OmniFocus has all of this but it looks like rear end and is $10 a month. I guess what I’m asking for is is there an app like OmniFocus that doesn’t look like rear end and is cheaper than $10 a month?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Boris Galerkin posted:

Finally, it would be cool if there was an online version. I know OmniFocus has all of this but it looks like rear end and is $10 a month. I guess what I’m asking for is is there an app like OmniFocus that doesn’t look like rear end and is cheaper than $10 a month?

in my experience, no - which keeps me on omnifocus

i really wish someone would really take a go at them and at least have defer dates for tasks

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know OmniFocus has all of this but it looks like rear end and is $10 a month. I guess what I’m asking for is is there an app like OmniFocus that doesn’t look like rear end and is cheaper than $10 a month?

TickTick, Todoist, or Nozbe could work - the latter is free if you’re cool with 5 ‘projects’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

TickTick, Todoist, or Nozbe could work - the latter is free if you’re cool with 5 ‘projects’

I looked into TickTick and Todoist and neither of them support hiding dependent tasks, which is a deal breaker. Todoist was the worse one because they don’t even support the “day this task becomes available” and has a whole help support page on why they don’t support it. That’s an ultra dealbreaker. Also, I’m pretty sure neither of them let me exclude tags as a filter.

Like I said, all 3 of those things are absolute musts.

I’ve never heard of Nozbe but I’ll look into it.

The one task manager that looks like it might work is GoodTask. It seems to support the tag filtering I want, and the start dates I need. I couldn’t figure out how to make it hide tasks down a dependent chain (ie I have a task called bake a cake and one called buy cake ingredients. I can’t bake the cake until I buy the ingredients, so I don’t want to see bake the cake as an available task until I check off the first one) but it could be possible cause their smart lists seems robust. Plus the developer seems pretty active and is always adding new features and updates. But I had to delete it because all the buttons in the app are about as small as this letter ➡️ o ⬅️ right there and it was both harder to tap on anything than it should be and also none of the buttons seemed to be explained. It doesn’t feel like it was designed for phone screens.

E: I’ve decided to hell with it and keep using Things for now. They haven’t made any big updates in forever and there hasn’t been any real developments to the actual app (most of the recent updates seem to be changing backend stuff and making a Watch app) so maybe they’re coming up with something soon. If it’s a paid upgrade or subscription then that’s a good as time as any to reconsider my choices.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 13, 2021