Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Ugh, why did they get rid of the list of podcasts with recently posted episodes! I don’t need a list of Recently Followed pods Apple!

I liked having that for podcasts I didn’t subscribe to but might pick out an episode or two every now and then.

I have latest episodes on my client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ArcaneMan posted:

Is there an app where I can take a picture of a receipt or bill and it saves a pdf and does text recognition and perhaps saves metadata like bill totals, date, etc.?

I like Readdle Scanner Pro for scanning documents. The OCR is good but the app isn't smart enough to automagically do anything useful with dates and dollar amounts

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ArcaneMan posted:

Is there an app where I can take a picture of a receipt or bill and it saves a pdf and does text recognition and perhaps saves metadata like bill totals, date, etc.?

ScannerPro is a basic scanning app with OCR. You can scan a receipt, save as a PDF and do a text search on it later.

If you want something more full featured you may want an expense tracking app. I’m using one called Veryfi for a home renovation project. It will scan a receipt, catalog the date, cost and vendor automatically. Then you can assign it to a project or whatever. It’s has a monthly cost though so I would only recommended it if you’re trying to track costs over a specified timeframe, not for archiving everything.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

kri kri posted:

I have latest episodes on my client

Oh I’ve got that.

The thing I was talking about was just a list of podcasts you’ve either subscribed to or listened to an episode of that recently uploaded a new episode.

It used to be where the recently followed list of podcasts is now

Edit: so I can replicate this functionality by following podcasts but turning off the automatic download function. I can then sort my Show list by Date Updated.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 7, 2021

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Is it possible to sideload ringtones into iOS without connecting to a computer? Like, download on my phone to Files.app or something, and then add them from there?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a faster easier calorie counter than my fitness pal?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Snowy posted:

Is there a faster easier calorie counter than my fitness pal?

check out Lose It!, I use it and find it pretty good. It’s got a lot of premium stuff for people who want to track macros with granularity, but for basic calorie stuff the free version works great and I find it pretty easy and quick to use.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

+1 for Lose It!, I also prefer it to MyFitnessPal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're looking for apps to compare against, poke at MyNetDiary too. It's packed with menus to tap through.

Violator
May 15, 2003

FoodNoms is good too because it’s super clean.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Is it possible to sideload ringtones into iOS without connecting to a computer? Like, download on my phone to Files.app or something, and then add them from there?

i was able to load files into garage band and them clip them straight into ringtones

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

mrking posted:

i was able to load files into garage band and them clip them straight into ringtones

Cool, thanks, I never would’ve thought of that. Will give it a go.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks for the calorie counter recommendations, I’m trying Lose It first.

Would anyone strongly recommend the premium version? They didn’t seem to make a strong case for it while signing up so I’m not sure how much I’m missing going free.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Snowy posted:

Thanks for the calorie counter recommendations, I’m trying Lose It first.

Would anyone strongly recommend the premium version? They didn’t seem to make a strong case for it while signing up so I’m not sure how much I’m missing going free.

They do sales multiple times a year so I would just wait and if you like the app a lot get premium then. They also usually do a pretty big lifetime sale sometimes if you don’t like subscriptions.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I’m looking to use Google Voice on my phone but the list of privacy permissions kinda turn me off to using it. Are we only able to control things like location or contacts? I’d rather not have it all linked to my apple identity.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Suppose I were to move from the basic Podcasts app to an app like Overcast, and I'd like to bring over my downloads. Is that possible, or would I have to re-download everything?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

cage-free egghead posted:

I’m looking to use Google Voice on my phone but the list of privacy permissions kinda turn me off to using it. Are we only able to control things like location or contacts? I’d rather not have it all linked to my apple identity.

Voice on my phone has not asked for location access, and I suppose that if you deny contacts access, it will just use your Google contacts. Other than that, what are you concerned about? For me it has only asked for contacts, microphone and camera permissions, which seem reasonable.

Edward Mass posted:

Suppose I were to move from the basic Podcasts app to an app like Overcast, and I'd like to bring over my downloads. Is that possible, or would I have to re-download everything?

Did you mean subscriptions, not downloads? I can't imagine any way you could transfer downloads from one app to another. For subscriptions, you can import OPML into Overcast and most other podcast apps, but I can't find a way to export that from Apple Podcasts.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CygnusTM posted:

Voice on my phone has not asked for location access, and I suppose that if you deny contacts access, it will just use your Google contacts. Other than that, what are you concerned about? For me it has only asked for contacts, microphone and camera permissions, which seem reasonable.

I’d rather not have Google scraping every morsel of info but my Apple ID has no association with my real info anyways.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

CygnusTM posted:

Did you mean subscriptions, not downloads? I can't imagine any way you could transfer downloads from one app to another. For subscriptions, you can import OPML into Overcast and most other podcast apps, but I can't find a way to export that from Apple Podcasts.

No, I did in fact mean downloads - I managed to capture all of Comedy Bang! Bang! before it went behind a paywall, and I don't want to give those files up.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Edward Mass posted:

No, I did in fact mean downloads - I managed to capture all of Comedy Bang! Bang! before it went behind a paywall, and I don't want to give those files up.

I believe Overcast supports uploading your own podcasts but requires the :10bux: yearly IAP.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The last time I looked into this uploading audio files into Overcast sucked.

If you're desperate you can temporarily host your own "podcast" of your downloaded audio files pretty trivially.
Then you can bring them all into Overcast the standard way.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

~Coxy posted:

I’ve been using the Overcast upload feature for years with no problems. You log into overcast.fm, upload the files, and they show up in the app. What problems were you having?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

~Coxy posted:

It’s abysmal, I bought it recently for this functionality and ended up putting a refund request in the next day due to how bad it is.

In the end I just added a section to my plex server and use Plexamp.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s abysmal, I bought it recently for this functionality and ended up putting a refund request in the next day due to how bad it is.

I must be lucky or something. Again, works flawlessly for me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

CygnusTM posted:

I must be lucky or something. Again, works flawlessly for me.

Yeah I use it all the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Trying to remember what repulsed me so much… from memory it just present everything I uploaded as a list of files with no sorting whatsoever, and didn’t read any embedded tags/images. I just wanted to replicate the feel of stuff that came down via regular means, and it absolutely didn’t do that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I just googled it and yeah, you can access a list of all your uploaded files, and play items in that list. That's it.
There's also a 2GB limit so it won't work for OP.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Another option could be Plex- it does podcasts, and of course you can have libraries of your own files.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Another option is Castro. It’s also a sub but I remember it created a Castro folder in my iCloud and I dropped Audible books into it.

Or if you don’t care about any of that, you could just drop it all into any folder in iCloud and use something like VLC to listen to it. That’s how I watch MKV files on my iPad.

Maybe you could even add it as a track via iTunes but I have no idea how to do that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but I have a weird non-critical bug with Siri where using "Hey Siri" cuts off Siri's audio response before it finishes. It gives the results on screen like normal but the sound doesn't play all the way.

Like, "Hey Siri, when is the next eclipse?" And Siri shows the wolfram results and says "The next solar eclipse will--" and then just stops.

I use it a lot (for more important stuff) when I'm slightly away from my phone doing something else and it sucks having to grab my phone every time.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
All the moog apps are free right now

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I had this for about 4 days after updating to 14.5.1 and then it just stopped. I’m not sure why.

Do you have another apple device you could try Siri on? That might have been what coaxed mine out. My best guess.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

im on the net me boys posted:

All the moog apps are free right now

Wow thanks for this. My students are going to love these.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tuyop posted:

Wow thanks for this. My students are going to love these.

Animoog is near the top of the list for the coolest bleep bloop maker on iOS.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

CaptainCrunch posted:

I had this for about 4 days after updating to 14.5.1 and then it just stopped. I’m not sure why.

Do you have another apple device you could try Siri on? That might have been what coaxed mine out. My best guess.

No, just the phone. I just recently upgraded but had this issue on my old phone as well. I tried switching Siri on and off, ran the Hey Siri setup again, tried it with Bluetooth off, but no dice.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
If you're in Europe YAZIO has the best food database.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
YouTube started getting around all the safari content blockers a week or so ago, making it horrific to use YouTube on iOS (ads).

I just realised yesterday that Brave somehow has a different adblocker integrated that still works on YouTube.

Also discovered it comes with its own video playlist feature that works across various video sites, works with Picture in Picture and background audio playback, and generally makes YouTube on iOS far less lovely.

Edward Mass posted:

For that:
a) Can you actually get the files off your phone? If not, you may be better off finding them again elsewhere next time they fall off a truck and playing the files via another app entirely - there are a bunch of audio player apps that allow uploads or can play from the files apps.

b) Maybe just keep the old podcasts app for that purpose alone and turn off downloads / delete other subscriptions.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah I noticed I saw YouTube ads for the first time in forever. It sucks.

E: Checked out Brave based on your recommendation and it’s pretty cool. YouTube has no ads again and pip works as advertised.

Now can someone smarter tell me why using Brave is a bad idea from a privacy/steal your info point of view?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 22, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I noticed I saw YouTube ads for the first time in forever. It sucks.

E: Checked out Brave based on your recommendation and it’s pretty cool. YouTube has no ads again and pip works as advertised.

Now can someone smarter tell me why using Brave is a bad idea from a privacy/steal your info point of view?

It’s a chromium browser created by a libertarian mega-chud. Other than that I think it’s been audited to death and is quite secure.

However, I think the iOS version is just a wrapper for WebKit, like all third party iOS browsers, and not the full on Brave that you get on a proper computer.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

AdGuard found a way around the YouTube ads in safari and built a shortcut for it temporarily until they can integrate it in to the app as well:

https://adguard.com/en/blog/how-to-add-a-shortcut-to-block-youtube-ads.html

Seems to work for me, fix stays in place until you close or reload the tab, in which case you just run the shortcut again.