Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’ve got an old iPhone and a dock and I was thinking about using it beside my bed as a clock and alarm and to stop going to bed with my phone.

I had a look at Nightstand which seems like one of the most popular but haven’t paid for premium to remove ads yet, which it definitely needs.

Anyone done similar or have recommendations for similar apps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've been able to hack together an iOS Shortcut which gets you most of the way there just using Notes.app but it's kinda inelegant. It'll create a new note every time you sort it (can't work out how to replace a Note's contents) so you'd need to go and delete the unsorted one each time. You "Send a Copy" of the note to the shortcut using the Share Sheet to use it.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/c7cc560643994e81b9b897836af07714

The reason most people will say "Just use a spreadsheet" is because that's probably actually the easiest answer.

I’ve only used shortcuts for a couple of basic things when it was first introduced and haven’t revisited since. I’m really impressed at what you’ve done and what shortcuts can do, definitely going to have to spend some time with it and see if I can automate some stuff I do regularly with my phone.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Virtue posted:

I'm either going crazy or iOS youtube had PIP enabled for a bit but it stopped working on all my devices for some reason. Anyone know how to get it to turn back on? I do have premium.

You have to pay for PiP. Not sure if they ever offered it for free but I had a three month free trial and it was pretty great, however I’m not paying this price to keep that extra functionality (this is aussie dollarydoos).

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Violator posted:

Shortcuts are great but I hate having to authorize them. If I have an automation that runs when my phone connects to my car’s Bluetooth, don’t make me dig out my phone every time it runs to confirm it should run. Some of the HomeKit I understand since it can unlock your doors but just loving play the playlist when I get in my car.

Yep I would love them to just run. I have a few set up that I ignore about half the time because I don’t want to grab my phone and click the dialog.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Procreate seems pretty amazing but I think it may be too advanced / too much for a preschooler.

I’ve used the free version of Flow by Moleskine to do quick sketches and stuff - I find it straightforward enough to jump into and just use but I don’t have an Apple Pencil.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Would depend what format those come in, I’ve used ComicFlow for .cbr :filez: and it’s pretty great.

I use Adobe Acrobat for handling and printing .pdf’s but I’m not sure how well it would work for reading comics.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I read a tweet just recently about someone who used shortcuts for something similar but can’t find it now - I think it was remove/hide the app from the homescreen and then set up a shortcut as the only way to open Twitter. The shortcut makes the user wait ten minutes and then asks if you’re sure you want to open Twitter, if so then it opens, if you’ve reconsidered how you spend your time, you don’t open Twitter and you win?

I don’t know if it’d really work because I feel like I could still “Hey Siri, open Twitter” or find other ways around it. Might be worth a try if there’s nothing else.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can anyone recommend an alarm app that does like a puzzle or something to shut it off? I keep turning my alarm off and going back to sleep :cripes:

I’d also be interested in this if you find something. My current solution has been putting my old iPhone 6 in the next room with the alarm on - it seems getting out of bed actually triggers “have to wake up” where alarm next to the bed is “turn it off and wake up late for work, often not remembering I did that”.

The only problem is the old phone is getting a bit sad and I think I need a replacement, I have it on airplane mode and not plugged it: by the end of the week it’s about 3 minutes faster than the actual time, if I don’t reboot it during its weekly charge the alarm eventually stops going off - until the screen is turned on and then it’s like “oh poo poo alarm time” regardless if this is ten minutes or ten hours after the alarm time.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks astral. I never found that answer when I was looking and I stopped using Notes when it stopped syncing for me - a few iOS versions ago.

I’ve moved to using Notion for everything. It’s ok but I’d like it more if they had more formatting options - for example if I’m pasting chunks of text from different sources, it’d be nice to either strip all formatting or format them all the same.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I’ve used Manual Camera for a while and I really like it. I don’t use it all the time but when I miss shooting with an SLR it almost covers that. The one thing it needs is a way to save settings, like if I’ve found a setup I like for landscapes it would be great to save that so I don’t have to dial it in again.

Manual Camera 4

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I used to use Chrome Remote Desktop to access a windows desktop and chromebook and it worked fine on both iPhone and iPad. Haven’t used it much since I got rid of the windows machine a while back.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Maybe a knitting/crochet row counter app?

I added three “cards” at the bottom, with this one you have to tap into the entry and then + or - the number, but there are so many of these apps you could probably find one closer to what you want.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
They have some nice playlists in there - I took up Apple “subscribe and get two months free Music and Classical Music”. Not sure if that’s a standard offer or because I haven’t subbed Apple Music previously.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I know some recipe apps have a pantry-like function but unsure if they scan products, Paprika for example. I haven’t tried using any of them, I’m not organised enough for that.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I used Notes, briefly Evernote, back to Notes, then Notion for the last year or so.

Notion is not perfect and I’m not sure I’d recommend it, but it mostly fits my needs. I superhate I can’t paste ‘as plain text’ in most apps and I usually end up pasting my text into some random website to strip the formatting out.

That would be a good shortcut, if possible - convert clipboard to plain text.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I think most of the journaling apps are going to be overcooked for your purpose of “a bit of text each day” because they all try to do so much more than that - every media format and every journal type.

I ended up with Notion for all my notes and writing, and while I have a section I use for a journal it isn’t built for that purpose. It’s generally ok as a tool but I would leave it for something better.

Before that I used Evernote which was ok until the free account was eventually restricted down to uselessness. It’s also general note taking and organisation rather than specific journal design.

There is Day One, which is designed to be a journal but I didn’t like the design much, and it also wants to be everything to everyone. There were others I’ve tried but none that were memorable.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
So I grabbed Vinegar, really been meaning to for ages but I’m lazy, just recently though I’ve hit a lot of videos where every five or six minutes I get two ads, usually including one you need to hit the skip button on.

Installed Vinegar, setup, working to block ads as I watch a couple of videos, excellent. I sign in to YouTube in Safari, deal with it jumping to the YouTube app and then Chrome but eventually I’m signed in, in Safari. I do the ‘add to home screen’ thing, name it, delete the YouTube app to clear the banner asking me to “open video in YouTube”.

Then the PiP stopped working, it would minimize for a second and then close. Again and again and again, restart and again. Eventually worked it out: I have Chrome as the default browser so adding to the home screen just adds a URL, which opens in the default browser. Durr.

It’s too bad you can’t do windows style app links like Safari.app “youtube.com” but I’m happy with just having safari bookmarked, with the eventual hope I might one day leave chrome behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Weatherzone has some history stuff. You can see the past 48 hours with hourly increments, past 4 days with details, month-to-date with daily, and almanac (highest, lowest, wettest type stuff). You can choose which month for the monthly and almanac data.

The one thing I would say about it is it’s not the best ui, like to find history I had to scroll to the bottom of the Home tab to find Shortcuts and then History. You wouldn’t know it was there because it’s way down below anything you’d normally look at. There is some customisation stuff with setting up the views you can do, so it might be my fault to some degree.