Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Are there any go-to dictation solutions on the iPhone? I like Siri for basic stuff but I want to record longer notes/conversations and store them as text. Part of my concern with Siri is my data and battery usage, so I would prefer an app that can save the audio until I can connect to wifi later.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

It's designed for hiking rather than driving, but Gaia GPS is a fantastic app that lets you preload maps and plan routes. It's the most like a regular GPS device.

As far as hardware goes, the iPhone GPS is perfectly fine for practically everything. One of the newer iOS updates keeps the GPS running even in airplane mode, which is great for long trips into the middle of nowhere. If you do require more than 16 feet of accuracy or want to use a mapping app on an iPad without GPS, you can always get a standalone bluetooth GPS receiver and pair it.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I'm looking for something cross-platform (Mac & iOS, and maybe web), but I figure this is probably a good place to ask: Anyone have any particular good or bad experiences with GTD apps?

It seems like a race between Omnifocus and Things, and they both look just fine to me. I've been mostly content with just organized to-do lists in the default Notes app (and I use Reminders for alarms), so I'm not looking for any killer pro feature in particular; I just want something that has less friction and scales better for multiple multi-tiered projects.

Right now, I have a different notes with projects that I copy into a daily to-do every day. It looks like an app like Things is exactly what I need to keep this routine. Anything else I should consider?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

To follow up my question about GTD apps earlier: I decided to just stick to my tried and true Notes.app, since it just works v:shobon:v. Omnifocus does look cool though, and it prompted me to rearrange my current notes to something that resembles their more methodical setup. I guess I'll keep Omnifocus mind for if this get too unruly for me to handle on my own.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I keep seeing Tweetbot recommended. What are its big features that make it preferable to the default app? The reviews and screenshots I see make it sound like it does all of the exact same things in basically the same way. I ask because I've never personally had an issue with default Twitter that would make me want to switch.

Same question regarding MacOS Tweetbot, too.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

What's a good voice recorder app for iPad? Preferably something that supports split view so I can record while typing in another app.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

A question for academics/students: What's your go-to iPad reference manager/PDF annotator? On the desktop, I've been a longtime Zotero user, but just because it's free and the first thing I started using years ago. These days, I'd rather do my PDF reading on the iPad, but none of the apps I've tried have really jumped out to me as the definite go-to app. I've played around with Papers, Papership, Mendeley, PDF Expert, and Liquidtext, which all seem to have their own strengths and weaknesses.

In my experience, Mendeley seems to be the best at actually being able to import a PDF and automatically get all of its reference data correct. It also displays the reference editor side-by-side to the PDF document, so if I need to change something it's pretty easy to do. The reference editor in Papers and Papership take up the whole screen, which is annoying, and Papers' matching feature seems finicky compared to Mendeley. I like the annotation features in PDF Expert and Liquidtext, but I really want an app that can easily organize documents based on their reference details.

I've barely tried any of these apps' other features yet, like their desktop/web features or synchronization. One turn-off for me about Mendeley is the whole social/feed element to it, but I guess I can ignore that if I have to.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Thanks guys. The more I think about it, I think the Dropbox folder with PDF expert is probably the way to go for me too. All the other options seem to create more problems than they solve. This is probably the only part of my iPad workflow that just didn't seem right to me, but I guess PDFs are just always gonna be inherently clunky.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I'd like a good pomodoro timer app, and so far I haven't seen any that have one specific feature I want: the ability to automatically pull the current task from my calendar.

All of the ones I see manage their own internal to-do list. This works okay, but I already have my entire list of tasks in my calendar anyway. I hate having to copy information around and manage it in two separate locations.

Is there any app that does this?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The new Files app seems like it might be cool but right now it’s got some weird quirks. Some files, like Pages documents, open in the Pages app, which makes sense. However, PDFs seem to only be able to open in the built-in reader. If I want to use PDF Expert, I have to copy the file to that app, which makes the Files app less useful. Opening a Word document will prompt me to copy it to Google Drive.

Basically, if I’m going to actually do any work with my files, it doesn’t really change the game.

Anyone know how much of this is just because it’s new and 3rd party apps haven’t caught up, or if it’s just going to be fundamentally weird until maybe the next iOS?

Edit: viewing a PDF inside the files app apparently doesn’t make that file eligible for the “recents” tab, but copying a word document to google drive does. Consistency!

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 20, 2017

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I'm looking for a new music app, and I haven't seen anything that matches exactly what I want.

I used to have a huge mp3 library and I used iTunes match to stream it. Now, I mostly listen to internet radio and podcasts, but I still like to play some of my favorite albums sometimes. I don't really get enough value out of iTunes Match to keep paying for it, and I definitely don't want to pay for Spotify etc. Is there a music player app that can just stream mp3s stored in iCloud Drive or Dropbox or something? I don't really have a huge library anymore, but I'd like to be able to instantly stream the music I do download on my computer. I don't want to have to go back to manually syncing my iPhone and iPad.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 6, 2017

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

This looks exactly like what I want, thanks!

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

As a Fantastical non-user, I have a question about it.

I use my calendar a lot, and I also use reminders a lot. They go hand-in-hand for me, so I would like to be able to use them both at the same time, in the same app. Is this something Fantastical does well?

I've held off on using Fantastical just because I've tried replacing stock apps before, but I always eventually come back to them because they're the only apps that I can really rely on to keep working for me over the years. I might give it a shot though.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

Apple Maps is better anyway

This will be the correct opinion as soon as they add bike directions.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Fix posted:

What’s the go-to pdf annotater? I’d like to be able to write on and, preferably, to stick notes to my PDFs. Even better if it can do cloud syncing with OSX, but that’s not the top priority.

I use PDF Expert and it’s great. It’s has iCloud syncing and a MacOS app, but I just use Preview on my Mac which works fine with it.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I dunno if this is the best place to post this, but I have a bug with Messages on my iPad. The app’s unread badge is stuck at 4, but I don’t have any unread messages. Even when a new message comes in, it stays at 4. This hasn’t happened with my iPhone or Mac, which use the same Apple ID.

I tried force quitting Messages and restarting the iPad with no luck. What else should I try?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Sobriquet posted:

Try scrolling way back in the conversation list and see if any have unread messages. I’ve had stuck-unread messages on really old conversations cleared on my phone, but not computer.

No luck. I even tried just deleting all my conversations from the iPad, but the unread counter never changes.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Update: signing out of iCloud, restarting, and signing back in seems to have fixed the messages icon.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Has anyone documented some of the quirks or un-obvious features in shortcuts? For example, I set a shortcut to only accept images, but noticed it was showing up as an option for other kinds of content. Apparently if you use it on a webpage, it just loads all of the images on the page. More interestingly, if you use it on an article (like from an RSS reader) then it seems to take a bunch of screenshots of the article’s content.

You can kind of get a feel for how it works by using the content graph, but a lot of features just feel random and “magical”.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Suqit posted:

Why on earth would anyone want this?

For when you’re listening to Busby 3D music 24 hours a day and coding Platform Masters.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I have an iCloud shared album I use to share photos with someone. At some point a while ago, it won’t sync our photos with each other. I can’t see anything they post, and they can’t see anything I post. According to the “people” popover, we’re both still subscribed to it.

I’m at a loss as to what to do. Any ideas?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

1Password can generate 2FA codes and that makes it way better imo.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

It will even automatically copy the 2FA code to your clipboard when it fills in the password. It’s super slick.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Are there any fonts available yet? The font section of the settings sends you to the App Store, but I don’t see a font section there. Searching for “font” returns a bunch of old apps that just look like Unicode keyboards.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 25, 2019

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Are you sure? There’s a font section of the settings, and it has a button that takes you to the App Store to install fonts.

As far as I can tell, though, there are no actual fonts to install.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I found it mildly annoying that my iOS manual was on the “reading now” section of the Books app (it’s not exactly a book you just read through), so I hit the “Mark as Finished” button for it. Suddenly I got a notification that said I’ve completed my “reading goal for the year.”

:thumbsup: :bravo:

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I hope Marvin rebrands itself as “good for the junk books that you don’t want in your main ebook reader.”

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Create a series of puzzles he must solve to unlock the DS. Make them hard enough that he won’t be able to solve them all until he's heading home.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Since we're complaining about Reminders now, let's see what happens when you log into icloud.com and try to check one off.

:thumbsup: fyi I didn't highlight the text. That's just how it looks.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I just use iCloud mail as my main account. It’s free and it works. :shrug:

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

When you switch to an app, it will show a cached screenshot of the app for a moment before the app actually loads. On my iPad, a lot of apps have been stuck with a random screenshot from literal years ago. It’s a very minor problem to have (none of the images show anything sensitive or offensive) but is there a way to refresh these?

They’ve all been stuck for years, across multiple restarts and iOS upgrades. I’ve always assumed they would update eventually, but I guess not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK no.

I remember reading I think it was the iPhone thread where someone was asking that same question because the app was showing a conversation from a dead relative and they really would rather have not seen that every time.

Bummer. Weirdly enough, Messages, and several other apps, always display the most up-to-date preview. But others are perpetually frozen in the past. Oh well.