Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

Good news to whoever liked the simple weather widget I designed: I have sold the rights to an app developer and am working with him to figure out what can be added to make it the best weather widget on iOS.

I just skimmed this whole thread (somehow I didn't even notice that the old thread had been closed down) and your mockup is exactly what I've wanted out of a weather widget, so this is the best news I've heard all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

I know that developers are now able to use Touch ID to lock/unlock their apps but are they able to use Touch ID to sign into their services via an app?

For example would a bank be able to use Touch ID to let you sign into their online banking system so you don't have to enter your password whenever you wanted to check your balance or such?

I'm not sure I totally understand the question here. You can't "sign in" per se with Touch ID, because your bank doesn't know your fingerprint. Your password still needs to entered at some point. They can use Touch ID to avoid making you re-enter your password every time you open the app, but that's the same thing as locking and unlocking the app, which you already said you know is possible.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

For Overcast, am I correct in understanding that podcasts have to be processed by their servers before they're available for downloading due to Smart Speed and Voice Boost? If so, aren't we at the mercy of the developer?

No. Smart speed and voice boost are done on the device as you play it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

Are the cuts noticeable enough that it's generally not worth messing with the timing?

In my opinion, the cuts aren't noticeable at all until you go back and listen to something at regular speed after getting used to hearing it with smart speed.

You can try it for free though. If you're curious about it, just try it out.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

The trial license mentions it will no longer be fully functional after 30 days. Not sure if that means it up and stops working or if you can only view password information on the PC Client.

I used the Windows version well past the license expiration at one point and all it did was add the annoying splash screen. As far as I could tell it was still fully functional.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

101 posted:

No. That was one of his major selling points and the reason he built the app.

I have no idea if the app is any good, but Marco's actually acknowledged that RSSRadio did it before Overcast was released.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Overcast is my podcast app of choice too. I meant I don't know how good RSSRadio is.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

So I have bought VLC way back. It's on my iPad Air. And my iPhone. I know it's not on the store but I thought since it was "purchased" I could download it to my mini?

My possibly erroneous understanding is that when a developer removes their app from the store, they're asked whether or not it was removed due to a legal issue. If they say no, people who downloaded previously can still get it. If they say yes, then you can't download it again. I'd imagine the VLC situation qualified as a legal issue.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

japtor posted:

Red means capturing audio I think. There's a limit to backgrounding (10 mins, might be 5 now?) but there's specific exemptions like audio, location, VoIP, or other stuff I don't remember. But basically nothing that'd apply to IRC, barring something shady like Facebook did a while back.

As of iOS 7, this isn't really how backgrounding works anymore. I can't remember the full details, but apps have a lot more freedom to run in the background than they used to.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I disagree, I think that post is pretty much correct.

Certain apps lie and claim to be VOIP or GPS apps so they can be "woken" as you move around and re-background themselves.
But there is no way without jailbreaking that you can have an app always be active.

Apps can't just stay active all the time. No disagreement there. The ten minute limit isn't true anymore though. My understanding is that the apps can now have however long it takes to finish whatever they're doing, but with the major caveat that its time isn't guaranteed to be continuous. Also there are a few ways that apps can be woken up in the background, which wasn't possible before.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

Since Apple Music will upload songs from your library that aren't matched, would it work effectively as a replacement for iTunes Match? The Apple Music help page says that Match and Music are independent but complimentary and will work together.

The wording is confusing, but I believe Apple Music will do everything that Match does. I think Match is just being kept around for people who don't want to pay for Apple Music.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It seems that anything it can *match* to the Apple Music library (which is NOT the full iTunes library) will be instantly available, but this might NOT include everything in YOUR library. (The Beatles are a notable exception every article brings up.)

From http://www.apple.com/music/membership/

quote:

With an Apple Music membership, your entire library lives in iCloud. We compare every track in your collection to the Apple Music library to see if we have a copy. If we do, you can automatically listen to it straight from the cloud. If you have music that’s not in our catalog, we upload those songs from iTunes on your Mac or PC. It’s all in iCloud, so it won’t take up any space on your devices.

That really sounds like it does everything Match does, including uploading stuff that's not in their library.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

What's worth clarifying about Overcast's Smart Speed is that it doesn't remove all silence. It's more like it shortens silence. It removes enough to make a noticeable difference without sounding unnatural.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

"A complete overhaul of the show-artwork architecture" <-- fingers crossed this means that episodes that have separate artwork for each episode will be displayed correctly rather than just the same image each time!

I think that's the case, since the latest ATP is showing different artwork now than it was yesterday.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

I was this close to buying the overcast IAP the other day and the only thing that stopped me was the creator is a smarmy oval office and he abandoned Instapaper development.

So "selling to a company that's continued active development" is "abandoning" now?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

There was about a year of no development at all where it was broken as hell

I'm not gonna argue that Marco is not a douche, but I've used Instapaper for years and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Sounds like it'll just remember all my passwords for sites on my phone and Mac and all I have to do is remember my "Master".

Building on this, since you don't need to remember all your passwords, you can greatly increase your password security by using a unique password for every service. All of my passwords are long, effectively impossible-to-remember strings of letters, numbers, and symbols and I don't need to worry about remembering them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

wooger posted:

Any slowness vs. Safari is caused by the slower (built-in) rendering engine they're forced to use, which is not in their control.

Third-party apps have had access to the faster rendering engine since iOS 8.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's not really feasible to build a full browser app using SafariViewController, so Chrome can't use content blockers unless Apple adds some other API to include them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Is tweetbot the only decent 3rd party twitter client? I'm fedup of the amount of sponsored tweets i'm getting with the official app.

I use Tweetbot, but Twitterific is good too.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

BitesizedNike posted:

Siri works with Apple Music, though. It works fine from the very, very little I've used it.

This may come as a shock, but Apple isn’t bound by the same rules and restrictions as other developers.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

Any way to get Siri to play a requested overcast podcast now?

Yeah, but given the way Siri shortcuts work, it doesn't work quite the same way you'd probably like. There's two approaches:

1. In Overcast's settings, you can set up a Siri phrase for each individual podcast
2. Or you can use a Shortcut like this one. The downside to this one is you can't just say "Play X", you have to say "Overcast play menu" or whatever to invoke the shortcut, then you'll be prompted to say the name of the podcast.

Edit: I found that shortcut online, and apparently it doesn't even work the way I thought. It's hard coded for a few specific podcasts, so you probably have to go with approach number 1

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Sep 22, 2018

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've been using Robokiller, but most of the time the phone will ring, I'll ignore it, and then I'll get a notification from Robokiller bragging that they blocked a call, even though it clearly came through and I just ignored it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

What's a dog simple app to keep track of 'streaks'? Habits that I want to jump in real simple and mark that I did them in a given day and see how long I've kept it going. Don't need anything fancy, don't need reminders or anything. Open app, push button, good to go.

The popular choice for this kind of thing is actually called Streaks.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/streaks/id963034692

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

That at least has improved.

I haven’t used the Apple podcast app since it looked like a tape deck, so I have no real opinion myself, but from everything I’ve seen, that seems to be very much a minority opinion.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It depends on the specific in-app browser. Content blockers should work if the app uses the in-app browser that Apple provides (Safari view controller), but not if they build their own.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I would go to the FaceTime section of the Settings app and see what’s checked off under “You can be reached by FaceTime at”. Maybe this one person is trying to FaceTime your email address instead of your phone number (probably without even realizing it) because of the way they have your contact card set up or something.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Funnily enough I re-learned about app clips this weekend too (file it under ‘things Apple add to iOS that get big applause at WWDC then never utilized by any devs because if requires a modicum of effort’). I scanned a QR code to pay a check at a restaurant then noticed later it downloaded an app clip to enable this. Kinda neat and super seamless, but not sure they need to live among my regular apps on the phone.

I had the exact same thing happen a few weeks ago. I remembered app clips, but had never actually seen one before. It actually worked really well. I could see the benefit if they were more widely adopted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

YNAB (you need a budget) is the best and it’s not even close.

I’m a happy YNAB user, but its whole thing is really more about the way you budget than the actual app. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you’re willing to learn to use their whole methodology.