Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Or buy ProTube for $5 or whatever it costs

How often does protube break? Also do YouTube links in say apps like awful open in protube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Is there an app I can use to sync my phone's ringtone/message tone with a bluetooth speaker or my computer? Or some other methodology for making it substantially louder?

I go on call for the first time this weekend, and I sleep the sleep of the dead.

Connecting your phone to a Bluetooth speaker would work just fine you don't need an app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Seriously YouTube Red is worth it you watch a ton of YT. Plus it works on more than just the phone so that kinda owns.

Yeah but it's yet another $10 a month to pay. Is it really worth it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

"Top In-App Purchases for Sleep Cycle"

🤔

lol that's garbage.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

$35 a year seems outrageous what the hell do you even get?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Imo use google photo or amazon prime photo.

I know some people have had great luck with iCloud but I never have.

If you had a mac you could air drop it but I'm assuming you are on a PC.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

In the photos app searching "sunbathing" finds all the nudes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

fordan posted:

It’s probably the Imgur api that allows only so many uploads per app key per month. Awful hits it quite often I believe, usually end of the month.

I use a Workflow automation to save to Imgur and copy the url for use in awful.

Yeah this works pretty good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks to this thread I downloaded and signed up for 1pass. I have to keep track of too many loving passwords for work and notes just isn't cutting it anymore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

One thing I wish that 1pass had was a reminder to change your password after X days.

I have like 4 systems at work that all need their passwords reset on different dates.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

porktree posted:

..............Downcast............

Downcast is good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Darkest Dungeon is awesome on the iPad too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PCalc is $0.99

Finally bought it because having a Calc on my watch is something I needed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

enojy posted:

Has anyone gotten into using the TV app? I ignored it until very recently, when I picked up an Apple TV 4 and noticed the app/TV Provider supports Playstation Vue. The only thing I really care about is the TV app picking up NFL/NCAA games that are live and upcoming on Playstation Vue, and it doesn't seem to be doing that at all (it does pick up other various sports, just not football, for some reason.) I tried downloading each individual channel's app (ugh) and signed into them with Vue as my provider, but that didn't seem to pick any games up, either. I even picked a bunch of teams as favorites, the Jaguars being one of them, and it had no idea they had a game yesterday. Any tips to get this working, or any tips in general? Or is the TV app just a wash?

You got me. I feel like it’s half broken on the Apple TV too. I tried the same thing with spectrum and I can’t get it to work right at all on the phone or TV.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

McFunkerson posted:

I recently launched a new app called "Battery Chattery" that I thought I'd share with you fine ladies and gentlegoons.

The app was inspired by a conversation I had with some co-workers when we discovered the “Die With Me” app. After getting past the “Why dies this app exist” comments we had an impromptu brain storming session.
The outcome of that conversation was a battery level based chat app where there would be 101 chat rooms, one for each percentage of battery power a user could have, and an extra room for devices on a charger. Users would be placed in a room (mostly) outside of their control and would bounce from room to room as their battery power ticked down participating in a series of random conversations with strangers.

While developing the app I went ahead and took care of some of the issues I saw users of “Die with Me” complain about. Namely, chats are separated by language, abusive behavior can be reported, and the app is functional no matter what state your phone battery is in.

The app is free, so check it out if it strikes your fancy. Feedback is appreciated and encouraged, even if the feedback is “Boy what a silly idea.”

Fair warning, it's only been live a couple of days, and while I've had positive feedback so far, the chatrooms are a little slow right now. I'm working on gaining a larger user base to take care of that problem.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/battery-chattery/id1338970850?mt=8

Funny little app. I like the spirit of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

How is 1Blocker X better than 1Blocker?

Obviously it’s 10 times better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Isn't that just called a microphone?

:vince:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I'm glad Apple sells lightning Ethernet adaptors now.

wait what? lol I'm not googling it because it sounds like insane BS.

Also the Nimbus is pretty great. You can get one off the amazon warehouse for pretty cheap if you keep an eye out and its for sure worth it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

What is the nimbus?

https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-...elseries+nimbus

I got mine back in Jan from the warehouse for $28

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I guess I could see some of the iPad kiosks using them for transactions and stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It does??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Because you have no credibility as a journalist when your bills are paid by the thing you're claiming to review.

Lol well one of the dudes who runs TA is a goon and honestly they are lucky the site is still around. They really make like no money on the drat thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Workflow is so drat awesome.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this is making me crazy. Does anyone know how the hell you fix this?

I’ve deleted and reinstalled and checked everything possible and the stupid 1 doesn’t go away.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Load up Waze, hit the magnifying glass to bring up the side bar and you’ll see your username. Hit that and you’ll get an Inbox button. Your messages will be in there.

If that doesn't work, you can go into Settings > Notifications > Waze and turn off badges

Ok thanks I’ve cleared out the messages but I’ll just disable the badges.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I just remembered amnimoji's were a thing with my new phone yesterday and spent far longer than I should have irritating family friends with them.

I wish that other apps could take advantage of them. I'd be more likely to use them if I could use them in WhatsApp.

I know I can make one and save the video but thats a pain in the rear end.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There is probably a way to do it via like gmail or something and then have the iPhone sync from that but yeah like the dude above said it might be a violation of policy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Is there some photo backup solution that actually runs in the background or have I hosed up my Google Photos setup somehow? I feel like I have to constantly go into the app for it to actually upload my photos to the cloud, which is a pain in the rear end if I forget for a month and have to wait for like 100 photos to upload.

Yeah that is just how it works and it kinda sucks.

I actually do both. I pay for the cloud back up but I'll open google / amazon photos every so often and let it run.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It took a decent amount of loving with settings but I finally got it just how I like it and I don't think it's missing any key features I need or anything.

Plus I save a bunch of time by using it!

:911:

Jesus just that trim silence number is a lot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So all this talk with poo poo getting bigger and Gmail made everything smaller lol!

It’s almost too small? Also I honestly can’t find a way to make it bigger so I guess it’s stuck like this?? I can’t imagine old people are in for a good time haha.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I’m guessing Dark Sky isn’t the de-facto local weather service any more?

I dunno I still use it and it’s always been pretty spot on for me. I don’t see any reason to change.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also GDI they hosed with gmail again.

Why can’t they just leave poo poo alone??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Id still just try a short cut first before any app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

101 posted:

wait, what?

The gmail app has ads at the top that are the same shape / size as emails and they kinda look like emails.

Like this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I remember The MLB app doing pip last year and it’s not doing it this year :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I'm fairly sure it's a limitation on the playback device, not something that can be solved with an application or fiddling with iOS settings

Yeah it’s on the device there aren’t very many devices that can have two BT profiles and most of the ones that do are expensive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Might be a question for the personal finance thread but do any of you use investment apps like acorn or robin hood? Should I just stick with my bank for savings and whatnot?

I use Robin Hood and I like it a lot. It’s free and works great. I’ve made a few thousand off investments I’ve made so I can’t complain.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

There are several different control options using the screen only. If you have a Steam controller you can also use that.

How does the steam controller work? Is it mifi or does the Apple TV just work with it? I thought all the Apple controllers had to be mifi?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Steam controller is Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure only the Steam Link app can use it. I'm sure the app could probably use a PS4 or XBone controller if they programmed it to, but it appears they didn't.

I'm currently in the middle of home renovations right now, but when I find the box I shoved my old Steam Controller into I'll test it out. I have a feeling it will show up as a generic HID like a keyboard or something. My Nimbus I believe is actually recognized by iOS as a game controller.

Interesting! You’d probably have to pair it to either the Apple TV or the phone / iPad right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I only get a very occasional ads using the official app. And tweets are in order, with no extra poo poo. And the interface never changes.

What I’m saying is none of this is true.

You must have a special Twitter app.

I just checked again and nothing is in order and I get a promoted tweet every 5th one.