Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend an ad blocking app that makes it easy to whitelist certain sites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone use the Microsoft apps here? I'm having a problem with excel claiming any new file I open through one drive is corrupted- despite it working fine on my laptop.

Was wondering if anyone else using excel/onedrive is having problems?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way for me to speak into my iPad and have it come out of the speakers attached to my (older) Apple TV?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

decypher posted:

Through the optical audio? I don't know, I don't have any speakers connected to my older Apple TV.

But you can use airplay mirroring to send your voice to your TV( and any connected speakers, obviously.) It works but the drawback being your screen is shown on the TV.

The app is Microphone | VonBruno by Von Bruno. It also works with any speaker plugged into your iPhone as well, if you don't have the 7.

edit: The workflow I described is not officially supported by the app, but it works.

Thanks, making a recording and playing it back worked.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Snowy posted:

This never occurred to me but I'd love to learn calligraphy. I see one called Learn Gothic Calligraphy that I might try out.

I don't think it lets you draw on the screen, it's more of an illustrated guide.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any app that can take a picture and convert it to a 'sketch' but then lets you erase lines? I would like to take a picture of a street and erase some of the street furniture like poles etc. I could then import it into adobe sketch and draw on it to make the buildings look correct.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

tuyop posted:

Do you have photos of the end state you'd like to see?

No, I would like to draw that in but it would be a lot easier if I can use edit the lines on these transform to sketch apps.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hey guys so I'm looking to put my iPad to good use for work. I need something that can draw/markup images. Ideally something that can draw straight lines or polygons (line by line). Most sketching/markups do this (some not really good at it) but what I'd love is something that lets me shade/highlight the area inside the polygon. I've yet to see something that has that.

Adobe Sketch can do all that.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
London Goons, can you recommend to me a iOS map app that shows tube/train stations prominently at large zoom outs? Or is there a setting on either google or Apple maps? I , and many people I know, navigate by station way more then road or postcode.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Citymapper is amazing for getting round London

That looks good thanks, I didn't know that it had a map view. It's mainly that I know where I'm going once I'm on the tube but often don't know where the nearest station is!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a way to increase the volume of audio directions from the google maps app? I'm listening via Bluetooth headphones and the directions are really quiet compared with my music.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a weightlifting tracker app for iPad? I mainly want to enter in exercises, weights and reps to see progress over time. It doesn't need a phone app as I won't use it in the gym.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Fix posted:

Alright, I’ll give it a go. Thanks!

E: oh my god this is the best!

I like liquidtext.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Virtue posted:

Nah, it's not a collaboration thing. It's more like I'll see a common idea between 3+ documents so I'd like to be able to notate that somehow in the file and refer back to all instances of a given topic. Liquidtext allows you to draw links and MarginNote uses a hashtag system I think. Will look into pdf expert though. Thanks.

Papers 3 is cross platform I believe, but it works as syncing library system, so you’ll need to upload all your journals to it. It’s very full featured though.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a free app that will let me permanently rotate a PDF on an iPad? I don’t really want to shell out £10 on PDF expert for a one use thing.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Great, thank you.

Also I'm assuming there's no way do things like remove app icon titles, change icon size, etc. without jailbreaking? I like to keep the look pretty minimal.

The home screen is pretty minimal as it is. Just stick a simple wallpaper on it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good floor plan app for iPad? There are quite a few but I don’t know what the differences are.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

y'all i'm going nuts

i'm just trying to get a notification to pop up on my phone every 18 hours and 30 minutes. all repeating events in both ios calendar and google calendar won't do anything more often than daily, and don't let me do a custom event that reoccurs more than once every 24 hours.

someone save me. this shouldn't be that hard.

Can I ask?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It works great for me- maybe it works better with OneDrive then Dropbox?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Microsoft Authenticator is actually really nice and backs up to iCloud which makes it easy to sync between an iPad and iPhone.

But to sync like that you need a Microsoft account added I think- even a free one.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

nitsuga posted:

Not quite. I’ve got a work phone now, and I was trying to find a way to get messages from my personal phone sent to the work phone. Not as a one-time thing but on an ongoing basis.

What phone is the work one? Because if you’re mixing your data anyway you may just want to use the esim functionality on one of the phones.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

101 posted:

What's everyone's go-to photo editing app nowadays? Trying to make a more concerted effort to take good photos.

Not too bothered if it's premium or subscription as long as it's good and updated.

Lightroom?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I like the swipe keyboard but switch between languages where it’s not available - it’s too difficult to remember to use it!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Jazz Marimba posted:

I’m not sure which features you want, but I use Feedly and have no complaints (besides it not being google reader :sigh:)

I use Feedly but it’s a bit annoying because it needs to refresh before you can read old articles- so it sucks when you’re on a plane or underground train.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

I thought everyone these days turned their cellular service on as soon as the flight took off. Or am I the rear end in a top hat responsible for the last few fatal plane crashes?

I don’t get reception- and would hate to know what the roaming fees are. That being said it’s a far more regular problem on the tube.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
On some apps like twitter you can select a picture and ‘Save to folder’. I use it to save things to OneDrive but now that’s not showing as an option - only on the ipad and iCloud. Any ideas why?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

hey girl you up posted:

You mean the "Save to Files" option with a folder icon? That's handled by Apple's Files app, so I'd launch that app and make sure I can see OneDrive there. If not, I'd try launching the OneDrive app and seeing if I can figure out why it's not showing up. (I don't use OneDrive, so I don't have any advice beyond that; sorry.)

Yeah this is the option I meant - and it turns out it’s gone from the files app as well, although it used to be there. No obvious settings to change but a good place to start.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Silly question- but doesn’t the files app let you connect to folders on a network? I’ve been digging into it recently and thought that was an option.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Google photos question. I have been uploading photos to google photos on my laptop as I want an easy way to share albums of my photography online with friends and family.

I also just installed the google photos app on my iPad as it would be nice to view/organise them there. However it mixes all my photo roll phone pictures pictured with my ‘actual’ photography- I don’t want all my phone pictures there.

Is there a setting to turn that off?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone use Pocket? It says that when you pay it’s a “Permanent library of everything you’ve saved”. Does that imply things get deleted if you use the free version?

Also are there any alternatives I should check out for iOS? Handy if it has a website I can access on Windows as well.

Something that works with the Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn apps would be great but I don’t know if that exists.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

TraderStav posted:

I think what permanent means is that they save a cached copy.

Ah thanks. That might actually be a useful feature.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can you not take your webcam home to use with your laptop?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Reply all is the default on every mail app, isn’t it?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Ganguro King posted:

I feel the same way about the iOS 13 share sheet. :(

Isn’t that customisable?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I think the premium version of Pocket does this.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

tuyop posted:

I think OneNote will allow you to create a diagram, then put objects like text boxes or photos into it, then turn those objects into hyperlinks. Might need a computer to do some parts of that process, I'm not as familiar with the app.

Yeah OneNote with hyperlinks to different pages or collapsing text boxes- drawing is better with the Apple Pencil. If you really want to use pages you might need to look at using comments?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
And Spotify.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It still annoys me my phone can’t replace my radio alarm clock.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone remember an app that gave guided walking tours of cities based on GPS location? I remember it being really good but couldn't make money.

I'm looking for a replacement if anyone has recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Cool Uncle posted:

You might mean Detour. I would also be interested in a replacement.

That was it! Lots of individual apps claim to do the same but no obvious way of determining quality.