Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What do you use?

Tweetbot is good. I have heard but cannot confirm that Twitterriffic is also pretty good, and cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Snowy posted:

So 1password is the best? Maybe I will get off LastPass. Does 1password have any iOS integration? I was liking being able to fill passwords from lastpass.

1Password is great on iOS. A lot of apps have 1P integration so you just tap a button in the app, and you can fill stuff in Safari from the share menu.

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lol if you use a password manager in 2017.

lol if you don't. Have fun changing all your passwords every time something you use gets breached! (Which is like every day these days)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Depressing Box posted:

Scanbot has worked really well for me. Takes pictures quickly, syncs to Dropbox or what have you, and has stuff like OCR and naming by location.

Seconding Scanbot - it works really, really well, and the upgrade is a one-time purchase rather that the subscription that a bunch of the alternatives try to stick you with.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

GoldfishStew posted:

Wait, so if I bought 1Password a long time ago, before all this monthly bullshit, like I paid 40 or 60 dollars or something, they aren't supporting me anymore?

More or less. Go bitch on their forums about it - you'll get a canned reply insisting they're going to keep support the non-subscription version but it's been almost a year with no movement on that. But hey, if people keep complaining maybe they'll get off their butts.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there an app like Sleep Cycle alarm clock that is either a one time purchase or free? I'd rather not pay $30 a year for a subscription, and I want to set music as my alarm.

Sleep Cycle is $5/year, not $5/month, and I have a "Select song" button under the Sound preference panel in it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
My one complaint with Pocket Casts is that it's really, really picky with authenticated RSS feeds. I got to take a Patreon one eventually, but it still won't take the Hardcore History shop one. Anybody have a solution to that?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Cool paid apps:

Scanbit Pro - Easy scanner app with lots of features, one time payment.

Paprika - recipe/meal planning/grocery app that works really well

Goodreader - PDF reader, nice if you have lots of PDFs

Pocket Casts - podcasts. Does what it says on the tin. No bullshit.

PCalc - the best calculator on the app store, without question.

Korg Gadget - if you want to make synth-based music, this is the king on iOS.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

EconOutlines posted:

I've seen this recommended over the years and re-looking at it, I can definitely see its use if you have an iPad, especially to annotate, edit and sign documents. However, even on a Plus phone, I have a hard time wondering why I'd spend $5? Maybe I'm missing something?

So far, anytime I've needed to reference a PDF on my phone, Dropbox has always done the trick for me but perhaps I've been missing out a smoother, more integrated experience.

I use it for research papers, reference books, & whatnot, where being able to have multiple files open at the same time and keeping your place is really nice.

Like I said, it's for if you have lots of PDFs. If you don't have lots of PDFs, the built in reader probably works just fine.

As others have mentioned, PDF Expert may be better now, but I've already paid for Goodreader long ago and I don't have a compelling reason to switch (yet).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fcdts26 posted:

Any advice for switching to a family sharing plan? Any issues? My wife , kids and I have been sharing my apple ID for a while and I think its probably time to get everyone their own ID.

Only big thing is: you can’t share in-app purchases. So any app that has the base app as a trial but in app purchases for the main functionality of the app you’ll have to repurchase for each account.

A minor thing is that apps another family member has purchased don’t show up as already purchased until you go to the Purchased tabs. I’m genuinely not sure if it’ll show up as purchased if you go through the purchase process from a search or whatever

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

One of the selling points of Pinboard is that it's fast but honestly the website feels excruciatingly slow to me. I don't like how the Chrome extension requires me to click the icon, then mouse over the "read later" button and click that just to save a link. Is there a way to make it behave like the Instapaper extension where clicking the button saves the current tab? I'm also really confused about the numbers in Pinboard that show up next to my username. I take it it's suppose to show how many bookmarks I have, but my "unread" page shows 0 despite me marking some bookmarks as unread. The number also doesn't seem to update/change when I delete bookmarks.

For your first question, I just use the "read later" bookmarklet from this page. I don't think I've ever even tried the extension.

As for the number, it doesn't update live when you make changes on the page - try hitting refresh.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

I know I could just use a to do list to do this, but does an app exist you can put in a bunch of movies and TV shows and then mark as you've watched them?

It’s only for movies I think, but Letterboxd may do some of what you need at least.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Turambar posted:

Is Tweetbot any better at loading pictures / replies than the official app?

I haven't used the official app in a long time, but I've never had a problem with pictures in Tweetbot. Replies can be kinda funky sometimes, usually they work perfectly, but especially on threads sometimes I have to open a web view to see the whole thread.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do you guys even use Twitter? I’m 31 so it should come natural to me or whatever but even following 40 people my timeline is a mess and I have no idea what’s new. I can’t imagine people following 100+ accounts.

Every official Twitter client, app or web, is a total dumperfuck clusterfire and the only way it’s even vaguely usable is via third-party clients that ignore all the algorithmic timeline garbage, don’t show “promoted” tweets, give you a linear timeline, and remember your place in that timeline

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

astral posted:

1Password Pro or whatever is a one time fee. Their subscription service for their-cloud-hosted passwords is something separate.

While they still offer the one-time-purchase version, they do their damnedest to hide it as deep as possible so nobody knows it exists, except for the part of their user base that would scream if they killed it - they want that sweet, sweet subscription :10bux:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s the advantage of these Twitter apps over the official one these days?

You get an actual timeline of the tweets posted & retweeted by the people you follow, ordered by time, without ads, algorithmic bullshit, or tweets people liked injected into it, and the interface doesn't change every week.

Twitter is completely unusable without a third party app.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

This would be the only reason I'd use a VPN. It would be a bit silly for me to spend ~$10 per month to read old video game magazines from the 80s (don't get me wrong, I don't mind spending a one-time fee on an app).

No, you don’t have to subscribe to a VPN service - and that wouldn’t work anyway. You would need to run a VPN server (like OpenVPN) on your own hardware on your network. You’d also want to set up dynamic DNS. This can all be done for free, but you’ll have to put in some elbow grease - it’s either that or pay for a turnkey solution, I think.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I guess I'll try Outlook for a week or so and see how it goes.

I just....I hate the app icon so much. And to give such a hated icon a spot in my dock....it annoys me more than it should. I hate it so much that I might still give Spark Mail a try.

Just make a shortcut with the "Open app" action to open Outlook. Add that to your dock instead.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm going to add to the chorus trying you dissuade you from stalking your kids. If you don't trust them to go out and drive, then just don't let them go out and drive.

Yeah. Get a dash cam for accident/scam prevention reasons, if you really need to you can pull the footage from the SD card. The ones with GPS will even stamp the video with the current speed I think. But don't get something just for tracking your kids that you has zero barriers to looking at it, that's a great way to rile yourself up so you flip out over something extremely minor and make your kids feel like they need to hide poo poo from you.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I pay for YouTube Premium and I've never gotten PiP to work. I know its supposed to be available now, but last I heard Google was selectively rolling it out and were being absolute dicks about it.

YouTube Premium is simultaneously the best and worst thing ever.

Same. YouTube-the-app kind of blows, in the same way most Google products do, where they care a lot more about useless redesigns and features nobody's going to use instead of fixing bugs and making the basics work well.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

i have to imagine google has intentionally hosed it up over the years to push people to android

I mean, that's why Apple Maps exists: to prevent Google from cutting off iOS from Google Maps, either explicitly or just by making the app poo poo until people get fed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

YouTube made resume video a premium feature last year. At least, the good version that stores the exact second you last watched the video.

Not sure on the details of what non paying viewers get other than "it sucks and is unreliable"

I have YouTube premium and my watch history still doesn’t work half the time, so I’m actually extra pissed off if that’s supposed to be one of the things I’m paying for.