Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

flosofl posted:

Goons, Beats Music or Spotify? Tell me which one I should get and why.

While the social stuff is nice, that part doesn't really interest me. I'm more interested in variety of playlists and how easy they are to discover and how the app changes to your tastes over time. I currently have trial on both, but I don't think a week is enough time to really get what the advantages of each are.

Spotify has had an absolute ton of new music on the day or before the day of release recently, including some stuff that's a little left field from the norm. They have really good curated playlists too and well, it's well established and the apps are slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I feel like you shouldn't be able to turn the phone off without the password, when your phone is stolen it's too easy to stop the tracking just by turning it off. Is this a moronic idea?

There would still be a hardware reset trigger (home and power buttons) so it's kind of irrelevant. Although it may give a bit more time for you to get to a computer to do activation lock before the thief figures that out.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Does anyone use a good Facebook alternative aside from Paper? I don't like how I can't get rid of the "hey! download messenger! hey! did you download it yet?" part of Facebook.

Paper still handles messaging in app and doesn't nag me to get messenger. It still savages your battery life though.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Well slick is right but it lacks. If you're down with Splashtop's controls, you won't find that here and you'll want to stick with that. The lack of a right click in touch mode precludes it from all two of the mouse-driven pc games I play with it.

It's really good, otherwise. And free.

Does it require an Internet connection on both devices for handshake like Splashtop?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
If your location is way off, turn off wifi and reopen the maps app of your choice. The assisted GPS sometimes puts too much emphasis on the wifi connection - we just moved offices and it adamantly shows me at the old location if I'm inside and it can't get an immediate GPS lock.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

So are any of these adblockers ever going to work with Chrome on iOS?

Very much doubt it.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Tweetbot 4 is out, $5 for upgrade, or $5 rising to $10 after a launch period for new users.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Avocados posted:

What app is best for testing wifi strength? We're plotting wifi strength around our campus to make a heat map, and something a little detailed may work. Or would the regular Speedtest app work?

What about a general one for cell phone reception? Can an app reasonably measure that?

Thanks beautiful goons.

Telstra WiFi Maximiser appears to have a heat mapping tool for iOS that doesn't cost £80, or there's Ekahau's one for Windows if you have a spare machine or can Bootcamp a Mac.
http://www.ekahau.com/wifidesign/ekahau-heatmapper

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

astral posted:

Have you set up the phone's do not disturb mode or is this somehow bypassing it?

I use DND at night via the Bedtime setting but if the caller is in my Phone app favourites it seems the FB / WhatsApp / etc call comes right through. I can’t disable that setting because my favourites contain my work colleagues or clients who might have an emergency.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

bolind posted:

I haven't. I would like to let all other calls through, I very rarely get calls during the night and when I do it's usually for a reason. I only want to block calls from this particular facebook messenger group, ideally.

You can set it to allow any caller that rings twice in a short time with DND on, put a little notice in your voicemail message perhaps? Not ideal but FB aren’t about to give you decent controls of their crap

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Weedle posted:

Is there a good local music player that does not hook into the iTunes library, but allows for copying music onto the phone via iTunes file sharing?

Vox does this and plays all formats too

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

101 posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you can press

this button to read the whole article in-app in like a reader view. I wish there was an option to always be in that mode though

Fiery Feeds remembers this setting on a per feed basis, same for real web view on those that don’t play nice with either short text or reader mode. It’s a subscription service but a really cheap one.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Violator posted:

If my leg is sweaty (like I’m working in the garage or outside) then my phone dials my Mom as my emergency contact. Even though I have the multiple side button press feature turned off and I have my wife set as my emergency contact. This has happened about a half dozen times and it’s super annoying.

Same for me, happened like 9 times over two weeks at a festival in a hot place. At 4am, typically, which probably made for some ‘interesting’ voicemail.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

hadji murad posted:

Hmmm. Hope this works out. It’s become my podcast player of choice. Don’t want to see anything lovely happen with the model.

If you already paid then they said you’ll have lifetime premium - at first it was 3 years but people complained and they backtracked. New people pay :10bux: per year

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Does anyone have a recommendation for a remote mouse/keyboard app? I want to control a Windows machine from the couch, but flexibility to control Macs too would be nice.

I’ve googled and of course Remote Mouse comes out top but there’s a fair few horror stories in the reviews of double cursors, no tech support. I’m cool with throwing a few bucks at the problem.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Speaking of lists: Is there a favourite notes/lists app? AnyList looks specific to groceries.

I’ve used Evernote and Keep in the past but didn’t like Evernote’s new direction (and poor iOS implementation) and Keep is very simple (no text formatting etc.) and reminders don’t work in iOS.

Needs to have a web/desktop version as well.

OneNote has made leaps and bounds in the last few years and I am all in these days. It’s free.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

I have to admit that creating an account and moving my calendar login through them, rather than iOS, did fix the two issues I was having.

Still annoyed by the “premium feature” poo poo all over the app though.

I tried this too, and it helped, but they’ve broken the core feature of the natural language processing by foisting in an annoying, inaccurate suggestions popup whilst you type. I can’t deal with the constant nag to pay, and whilst I’m fine with paying for apps and even tolerate subscription services, the fee is ridiculously high for something that is so simple.

I’ve been trying Timepage as an alternative but that can’t seem to let me set a default calendar, the location searching is useless as it keeps suggesting contacts when I’m clearly typing an address, and in their goal of being ‘beautiful’ it seems there are some major usability issues with regards to adding attendees, notes or whatever to calendar appointments. Annoyingly, I really like their time to leave feature, which made me consider the subscription cost, but as it’s based on Apple Maps the walking directions are somewhat useless.

Google Calendar is actually seeming more practical even if it has none of the nice features I’m used to. At least it bloody works even if I have to pop everything into distinct fields.

I’d give Outlook a go but I want my calendar to be separate from my email so I can maintain some work/life balance.

Why the hell couldn’t they have just released it as a new app and left the old one alone?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there apps that can visualize the environmental noise data from the Apple Watch in different ways? Kind of like Heart Analyzer for HR data?

I don’t believe so, but you can export the data using the method described here and get crazy with Excel if you like:
http://www.markwk.com/data-analysis-for-apple-health.html

There’s not a lot the average person would need to know that the Health app doesn’t already track, though. Exposure over a given period is the most important thing. It’s not surprising my exposure levels have fallen in a pandemic given my day job, but a drop of over 22 dB year to year is a lot more than I expected.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm just looking for something that can group multiple sites into a single card or group because I'm one of those "too many tabs" people. Doesn't seem like this is possible on mobile though.

It’s not exactly the same, but there’s functionality for bookmarking all open tabs built into Safari as of iOS 13 https://osxdaily.com/2020/01/17/bookmark-all-open-tabs-safari-iphone-ipad/

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Violator posted:

I really like NetNewsWire.

Same. I swapped from Reeder out of curiosity and nostalgia a year back and it stuck.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I know OmniFocus has all of this but it looks like rear end and is $10 a month. I guess what I’m asking for is is there an app like OmniFocus that doesn’t look like rear end and is cheaper than $10 a month?

TickTick, Todoist, or Nozbe could work - the latter is free if you’re cool with 5 ‘projects’

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Ah, I misunderstood your requirements I guess. The only thing I can think of that ticks the due date and separate reminder date box as well as the ability to do a NOT filter is Nirvana http://www.nirvanahq.com. It’s pretty rigid on the GTD structure so may not be your thing, but if you use the Next Actions concept of GTD that would be a way to hide the steps or subtasks the way you want too?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Not sure if this app specific or more to do with iOS in general but Exposure Notifications has used 18% of my battery over 10 days which is the highest of any app.

Is there anything I can do about this? I’m based in New Zealand and I believe iOS links to our local app.

Yeah. You can suck it up for the duration of a pandemic. NZ is a small island with a relatively dense population - who thus far have done far better than the rest of us at controlling this thing. Which is why there are festivals happening without massive break outs. You are welcome to disable the service entirely if 20 minutes battery is more important to you than helping keep your country pretty much virus free.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Well you got me. $50 for a calendar app :homebrew:

??

I’m pretty sure I did the Calendars PRO one, and that gave me recurring events, natural language input, and other stuff for a one time fee. I can’t seem to check what my purchases are, but I used it for a while without that to get a feel for it. At the time it made the most sense since it was the only usable calendar app that didn’t want a monthly fee.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Something more simple but I’ll check it out.

I just opened Deliveries and it looks like it’s now subscription. Looks like previous owners haven’t lost any access and will keep getting new updates for 18 months though.

Thankfully this seems to be the commonly accepted model for ‘early adopters’ of iOS apps that later decide to monetise more heavily. I don’t blame them for wanting to eat, but boy, am I sometimes sure glad that I impulsively threw a few bucks at a novel app before it got properly good, and promptly forgot about it.

There’s a whole bunch of decent, mature subscription apps that I’m apparently now grandfathered into.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
It will also probably melt any trust between you and the kids, so there’s that.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Violator posted:

Any suggestions for blocking “turn off your ad-blocker” modals that disable a site, “allow cookies?” modals, “sign-up for our newsletter!” modals, and all of the other god drat bullshit that makes so much of the web a pain in the loving rear end to use?

Better (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/better-blocker/id1080964978) and Hush (https://oblador.github.io/hush/) do a fairly decent job. Most of the modals for cookies are so varied in implementation that I gather it’s hard to effectively bypass most of them without doing a blanket ‘accept all’ automation.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any recommendations for one over the other?

You can use both side by side with no issues. I have done just that for quite some time.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Do DNS filtering services like this affect your internet speeds much? And how are they for privacy, I don’t know follow how they work but is it similar to a VPN where *in theory* the service can see your web traffic?

I’ve used NextDNS’ free account for a year or more. It’s encrypted DNS, so in theory they could see the request for the server address, but your connection to the server is still direct and not via NextDNS’ system. So it’s as fast - if not faster - than your ISP’s creaky neglected & unencrypted DNS system.

Of course it doesn’t always work. Key times I disable it with a Siri shortcut are to access public wifi hotspot login pages, and for the occasional time where I’m willing to suck up a marketing tracker redirect bounce to get some kind of a deal off a website. It’s a two second toggle, click, and toggle back on though.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Just to add that you can choose what list or combination of lists are used for the blocking too, from a rather large pool including region-specific ones.

The free account gives 300k requests a month, which is plenty for a couple of devices. I’ve only had it enabled on my phone this month and I’m at about 20k requests.

The only thing to watch is for the occasional wifi that just wont allow encrypted DNS. My office is one of those - I could change it, but as it’s way down my priorities list that wifi network is just whitelisted in the app.

Warbird posted:

The real long term downside is as people adopt this over time more places are going to go the YouTube route and start serving the ads “internally”. It’s too much for small sites but medium to large setups will start moving in that direction I’m sure.

Yeah it does nothing for YouTube, and very few Adblock extensions or apps seem to work for any length of time there. I just used a VPN to sign up and pay as a citizen of India. A buck a month to never see an ad there again seems fair to me.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

I used to rely on Soulver for iPhone & Mac which is a combination notepad calculator. I really liked it!
https://soulver.app

It is no longer available for the iPhone and apparently while transferring data I lost the ability to transfer the app. Are there any calculator apps kind of like Soulver? I kind of doubt it.

You might like Calca (https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/calca/id635757879) which is scripting-lite, or on a simpler vibe, Tydlig (https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/tydlig/id721606556)

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
I asked if anyone had a suggestion to stop the embedded YouTube player starting playback when my thumb went anywhere near the preview image.

If anyone else gets as annoyed at that as I do, the Vinegar extension for Safari is $2 and replaces YouTube’s custom player with a standard HTML5 one:
https://apps.apple.com/sg/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

Not only does this make it less obnoxious when scrolling, it also enables picture-in-picture mode, stops any ads appearing, allows casting via Airplay and keeps videos playing in the background.

Instant buy.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

priznat posted:

Whoa do you use that and the YouTube site instead of the app and get no ads and it sucks less in general? That rules.

Well I actually have YouTube Premium via an Indian address which is a buck a month, but that doesn’t stop the annoyance of the instant play while scrolling. But yes, this basically gives you the premium feature set for a one time small fee.

In fact, I still don’t have PiP in the app so it’s better…

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Chances seem high that Google would shut this down though right?

I’m doing the same but using ad block and running YT in a Desktop browser window. It’s OK but quite fiddly. I also can’t often get the resolution to go higher than 720p which is annoying.

It happens client side so worst case the app gets taken off the store, but it’ll stay on your device if you have it already. The YouTube player loads but is immediately replaced with the standard player.

I haven’t explicitly checked the resolution, but the YT embedded player would hit 1080p from memory, and this is the same source file.

The old YouTube5 desktop Safari extension got a cease and desist but it worked just fine for years afterward if you already had it. The only reason it stopped was their swap to an unsupported codec.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

I'll have to give this a try, thanks!

Another goon elsewhere recommended uYou, which can be sideloaded without jailbreaking https://github.com/qnblackcat/uYouPlus

I also use Vinegar but to be honest, I just signed up for YouTube Premium via a VPN to India. It costs the equivalent of about a buck a month, which I’ll happily pay to never see an ad on any device with no hassles.

The process is stupidly easy. You have to provide an Indian postal address, but I literally just made up the most ridiculous thing I could think of and had zero issues. My credit card certainly isn’t registered there, but the fee is so low I guess they don’t even check?

For an extra buck I can add five people to my ‘family’ all on their own existing YouTube accounts.
Oh and that includes YouTube Music, although I’ve never used it.

There is one huge downside to this. I don’t get sick recommended playlists of local content like I do in my Brazilian Tidal account. I signed up for that one while living there briefly, and they don’t seem to mind that I’ve not been out there since Covid…

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 16, 2022

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can anyone recommend an alarm app that does like a puzzle or something to shut it off? I keep turning my alarm off and going back to sleep :cripes:

Alarmy does this. It’s subscription now, but when I absolutely have to wake up there’s no competition for being forced to do three maths multiplications and typing two contrived platitudes.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Violator posted:

I can’t believe there’s still no way to export a single reminder. I had to create a shortcut to do it. I use the app Remind Me Faster to jot down ideas super fast into the Reminders app, and I usually want to export those to a different writing app once I get home to do something with them.

Sounds like you’d get a lot of mileage out of swapping to Drafts for your capture & export process.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Safari + Vinegar

+ NextDNS with a few of the additional blacklists added to the filtering

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Xabi posted:

I’m using Wipr and AdGuard to block ads, but lately they’ve let more and more ads through. Am I the only one? Are there better adblockers out there than these two?

NextDNS + extra blocklists. The free tier is plenty for phone browsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

withak posted:

Same, I just send epubs to my kindle email and they appear in the app/device a few minutes later.

You can also send the ‘fixed’ .epub directly to the Kindle app via the Share sheet in your iOS Files.app, avoiding email entirely.