Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
I know Podcast.app catches a lot of poo poo but is anyone using it with iOS 13 and reads/posts in these dead gay forums?

I noticed a weird bug where if I’m listening to a podcast and I start deleting episodes from my library, it pauses audio playback. Nothing catastrophic, just weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

They weren’t really important, I just... liked having them around.

You’re a monster. Just own it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every time I try to switch, I always end up having to add a “!g” to most of my search terms so I just end up switching back to Google. Every few months I think it’ll be different though but it never is.

:same:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Housh posted:

Really upset the dev of mutter stopped. I still use it as my primary IRC client. Does anyone recommend anything else? I hear things about Palaver but dunno if it's got dark mode which is a deal breaker.

I like IRCCloud but I know that’s not everyone’s jam. I like the consistent cursor between clients though.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Weedle posted:

gmail is languishing as google shifts development focus to stadia killing products

FTFY.

Gmail is trash. I use Fastmail and have for at least 7 years now. Best decision. There are other good providers, that one just happens to be my preferred.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

I remember hearing a few years back that Gmail was going to stop mining people’s email for data? Did that ever happen? Or is it just a “yeah, suuuuuuuure you are :rolleyes: “ type thing?

Lol. What does your heart say?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

xzzy posted:

:words:

I strongly recommend something like this over self hosted. Running an email server loving sucks, even for just one person. The spam management alone is a full time job.

Never mind getting your server’s reputation up sufficiently such that Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo won’t bounce your emails nonstop. That’s really the biggest problem IMO - if you aren’t a long running reputable server, it’s a pain to get your mail reputable.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I asked this before and I think the recommendation was "Zones".

That second picture is what annoys the gently caress out of me about my watch. The first 10 minutes are never recorded for some reason or it's just always wrong.

Zones for sure. I use it for HIIT and sprint workouts. Basically my next sprint starts if my heartrate drops too low.

Solid app. Definitely still use it after 3 years or so now.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

tuyop posted:

Are you guys talking about this Zones?

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/zones-for-training/id1139688415

I can only see like, retroactive info here. Is there an option to create a workout where it yells at you to stay in a specific zone?

So at least in my case, it has haptic notifications when you move between heart rate zones. I’m not sure if they’re configurable but I just use them as guide for staying 140+ and 165+.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Froist posted:

I'd like a way to save web content for reference later, grouped into different projects and (ideally) saving the content as it is at that time, rather than just a URL where the content could change later. This is basically to minimise keeping browser tabs open that I research, find an answer but don't have time to do at that moment.

I'm sure there are a ton of apps/solutions out there for this - e.g. printing to PDF and saving into iBooks would work, but I'm assuming there would be nicer alternatives. I know there's apps like Pocket, but I already use that for longform articles I haven't got around to reading; this is more for saving recipes/tips/todo notes/ideas for various projects I'm working on.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

It’s pricey but I’ve used DEVONthink for this workflow for years. There are a few others out there but none that have great iOS support from what I recall.

The iOS version of DEVONthink was about $20 when I bought it? I use it in my Macs as well so I have the desktop version which is about $200.

It might be overkill for your use case. I use it for three things:

- home office digitization - scanning documents/receipts/contracts and applying OCR on them

- web archiving sites that have useful information I want to be able to access

- capturing arbitrary content that isn’t long form article to review later

EDIT: oh right. Evernote is still a thing. I think OneNote also has some capabilities like that

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

XBenedict posted:

Evernote. Notion. OneNote. Pocket. Diigo (iirc).

Notion does everything that I want it to.

Also Collected Notes.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Happened to me once and a full shutdown/reboot brought it back. YMMV.

priznat posted:

Nice, that did it thanks!

Lol @ “just shutdown my phone to fix dark mode in this specific app maintained by one of the largest software companies on the planet”

:gary:

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I’m having a lot more trouble with websites just straight up not working with 1blocker recently. I used to be able to temporarily turn off blockers for a tab while I was browsing, but it seems now that the option to do that in safari resets whenever that site loads a new page, which makes some sites impossible to use without making permanent site-wide exceptions. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

You might have to walk back some of the blocking. There’s a whole slew of different options to block:

That said, I run it in conjunction with NextDNS.io which does network layer ad blocking.

They’ve got an iOS app that uses a VPN profile to force DNS through their resolvers. I’ve been really happy with it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Neurophonic posted:

NextDNS + extra blocklists. The free tier is plenty for phone browsing.

This one is the best one. Block it at the network layer.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Warbird posted:

It bears mentioning that SAMart has a couple of threads of people selling Microsoft keys on the cheap. LodgeNorth has never done me wrong.

I too can provide a deeply discounted 365 key provided you promise not to use it for commercial purposes. PM me if interested.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Violator posted:

Is there a suggested smart running app? I don't really have a specific goal, but would be willing to use something like "couch to 5k" or whatever to give me structure.

Hoping to find something that will tailor the training to my actual performance (tracking my heart rate zones, actual running performance, etc) to give me better guidance than generic "run 5 more minutes this week than last week!"

I've been using basic Apple Fitness tracking but having something that gives me structure to improve would be nice.

I’m not a big runner but my partner used Nike Run Club for what you’re describing.

I’ve used the training integration (paid) for Strava and it was pretty good. If I had training goals, I’d use it again.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Good mastodon client that’s either free or not a subscription? I just want to follow people.

Toot! is the best one by far.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Obsidian is for nerds.

I say that respectfully.

Tools like obsidian really ride this fine line of useful tool versus something i have to spend too much time fidgeting with to get juuuuust so.

See also: emacs config, desktop window managers on Linux, terminal configs.

I’ve learned my lesson and stay away. They just nerd snipe me.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

101 posted:

Switch to Kagi?

This is the right answer.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

virinvictus posted:

I just switched to it. Not always the best results but better than Bing or DuckDuckGo ever were.

For me at least, Kagi is about as accurate as Google when accounting for no trash ads/promoted results and keeping SEO spam out of the results.

The Kagi Assistant is pretty neat as well. If it’s about as good as ChatGPT 4 over time, I may cancel my OpenAI subscription.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Has Amazon integration broken for anyone else using Parcel?
I log back in and it just brings me to my orders screen and doesn’t link up now. It was fine until today.

Just tried and it worked fine for me. It took it a minute. I just let it sit there for a couple seconds and it eventually dismissed the window showing my orders.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

That's not quite what I'm after. It's more like the "content aware fill" from Photoshop for e.g. removing a person from the background of a photo that I need.

Maybe PSExpress? Might require adobe CC sub tho.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

YouTube’s smart downloads function on my iPad is such a good idea that is so badly implemented it’s bewildering. I’m at my parents where the internet is abysmal, so having things download overnight or whatever is great because streaming just stops working at random, so thanks YouTube for giving me this wonderful spread of… stuff I’ve watched in the last week already. Like, you know I’ve watched this. Why with your 10 billion videos do you think I’d want to watch the exact same things again rather than well liked stuff from the same channel or things I haven’t seen that cover similar topics.

The great software company strikes again.

The number of times YouTube recommends a video I have absolutely watched from start to finish, logged in, is just absolutely baffling.

They seem to have no clue what the hell it is I watch. I truly do not understand it.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Losing my mind and hoping someone has ran into this before. My view history on my iPad install of youtube very infrequently is reflected on desktop youtube. It kills me because I'll be watching long form broadcasts of events and stuff and then it won't save my place. Opening the app again on the iPad doesn't even seem to reliably remember how much of something I've watched.

What should I try? I reinstalled and it didn't fix anything. I'm not watching in incognito mode and I'm definitely logged into the same google account.

It doesn’t work. Because YouTube is trash at tracking what you watched and how much. Even in separate browser windows on the same computer.

Just be sad.

Source: me raging about this for multiple years now

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe it’s an A/B thing (which I know they do) but mine has worked almost 100% of the time.

If I open the app on my iPad after watching something on my phone it’s in almost the exact correct position and my watch history is always correct.

I didn’t realize people had issues but that would be frustrating as hell if it didn’t work.

Ya - it’s frustrating because it worked like… 4 years ago? Then I got hell banned to whatever lovely A/B thing breaks this (theoretically).

It hasn’t worked since midway through 2020 I think. Or maybe it never worked well - I just watched more YouTube starting in 2020.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Resume on other devices requires premium now

I have premium. It still doesn’t work.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Apple Maps it’s also free

This one. There’s an Open Street Maps one that I’m failing to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

actionjackson posted:

thanks - apple maps is okay but still has stuff i don't care about like annoying "city guides."

for open streets, I didn't realize there were a lot of apps that supported it. any suggestions?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/IOS

I’ve used Bike Citizen (when I bike) and Gaia GPS (outdoors and off road or hunting). I liked them.

I don’t recognize the general purpose apps on there though.