Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I know there's apps like Air Video HD and Plex that can stream your videos from your home server to your iOS device but is there something similar for PDFs/CBRs?

Basically I have an iPad Pro 12.9" which is perfect for scanned PDFs and I downloaded the entire retromags collection which is over 200 GBs. Obviously this is too big for my free Dropbox account and I'd rather not have to load them in and out at random and have them "all at my fingertips" so is there some way to have them sitting on my server (a Windows 10 PC) but have my iPad access them whenever I want (as long as I have an internet connection, obviously)?

Rigging up something via Calibre might be an attractive option. You can even view them via your browser these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’m fairly sure you can just throw the PDFs in there without converting friend, but don’t hold me to that. Take a look at calibre-web, it can hook into Calibre’s database and is a far better user experience. Also works fine in docker if you’re willing to get stoopid.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Look into the calibre-web thing I mentioned. I think it has search functionality and I know you can group things up like shelves.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I’d say do something on a RasPi, but they can’t really handle transcoding even with the beefier new ones. If you have a only laptop lying around it’s pretty painless to throw Plex on there. Where does the file you’re trying to cast live? It may be easier to recode it with Handbrake to something compatible.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

withak posted:

https://blog.darksky.net/

Dark Sky has been acquired by Apple. Website and Android apps are going away in July.

Good on that guy for getting paid, but that sucks for everyone else involved. I wonder what the selling point was beyond the large user base. The only particularly remarkable aspect of the app for me was the crowdsourced reporting from phone barometric sensors, but you’d think they could throw money at that and make their own.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Dick Nipples posted:

FTFY.

Gmail is trash. I use Fastmail and have for at least 7 years now. Best decision. There are other good providers, that one just happens to be my preferred.

Sell me on fast mail

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You’d be best off setting up a PiHole and PiVPN and WireGuard-omg into your network to get some actual adblocking. Iirc most option on iOS are just for safari unless something has changed.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So you're telling me I could get warbird@batmanbatmanbatman.biz going without having to deal with setting up a mailserver? I was just going to see if I could find a container to throw at the problem, but that might be a better solution if I want to start using it for something beyond the dumbest jokes possible.

Oh for sure. If you're willing to throw some money at the problem then this would likely produce better results and be less of a hassle. Really depends on how willing you are to tinker.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh weird, my Google app proper has dark mode now. That’s nice. I think I have the whole set now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Has anyone had their HomeKit disappear recently? I updated to the latest iOS version and realized that is no longer on my phone. Control center doesn’t have an option to add it and I can’t download it from the App Store anymore.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Home, yes. It finally downloaded overnight and I had to readd it to the Control Center. Not sure what caused all that to happen.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are you using premium? I don’t really get much in the way of podcast pushing. It has a little section on the home screen but I mirror less mentally filter it out. You could also try the stations app with is basically just the radio feature spun off into its own thing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So are there any good games now or did Apple‘s game thing ruin things?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh right I forgot about that thread. Did they finally move on from Battle Cats? Idk the most recent games I took a look into were Golf on Mars and the port of Slay the Spire. Both are good but it seems hard to find an engaging game, one that isn’t lousy on IAP/ads, or behind the subscription paywall. It’s a shame that Touch Arcade went down the tubes years back, I used that app all the time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I could go for some puzzling, I’ll give it a look. Golf Blitz is just multiplayer Stickman Golf 3 right? Looks fun but I don’t think that’ll scratch the itch.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Not app centric, but you all might know. Did the new iOS update tweak facial recognition? I’m able to unlock my phone with a mask on. Don’t know if it’s going just off IPD or if it has something to do with my watch.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It seems like Packages is moving over to a subscription based model. I’m not thrilled but I’m also not entirely sure what the difference would be. It seems they use some syncing method that you only get with a sub, but I wasn’t using it anyway? Not really sure how to feel about it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Whoops, yes. Too much time around Linux these days. Good to know it shouldn’t be an impact, though I have to wonder how may people are using that feature and if it warrants the change.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Does anyone understand the rules around what determines when/how the calendar shows up on the combo CarPlay screen? I like having more room for the music widget and I can’t uninstall the god drat calendar app because Apple makes you have it if you want the date to show on your watch for Christ knows what reason.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The awful app does it :eng101:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It’s weird, until recently I never got YouTube ads in embedded awful videos. Though amusingly enough the wrapper allows for playing when the app is closed and the floating video player b/t apps as well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Awful app will do it amusingly enough. I just download everything to Plex and watch it at my leisure these days.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So I just got around to messing with Apple Books and that’s a good rear end app. I really like that I can load in my PDFs of my nostarch books. Is there anything like this that I can hook into my Calibre library that has good UX? The web readers are so so at best in my experience and the assorted apps I glanced at weren’t inspiring. That said I could just Files app onto my server and do it that way.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If you care about OSS Bitwarden is worth a go, but 1Pass is also pretty great.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Not sure. To be honest LastPass does it on so few sites I doubt I’d miss it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a visualizer app that can hook into whatever is playing on my phone? The ones I’ve messed with all require playing through their apps and I’d prefer a “line in” sort of setup if that makes any sense.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Deliveries thing is just the same as if ever was unless you used whatever the hell Junecloud sync was/is. Completely transparent unless you needed stuff across multiple devices.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

Deliveries doesn’t seem to track Amazon packages anymore without a subscription. I just keep getting “Not found” errors when I try.

I don’t mind paying for an app, I’d gladly pay $20 for it. I just don’t like how everything is becoming a subscription service now.

What? I just tried now and it tracked just fine. You can even hook it into Amazon to it pulls in stuff. I bought it years ago and don’t pay for a sub.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The podcast app would like a word.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The real long term downside is as people adopt this over time more places are going to go the YouTube route and start serving the ads “internally”. It’s too much for small sites but medium to large setups will start moving in that direction I’m sure.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

This appears to be something of a can of worms, but I'm hoping someone has sorted out a decent way of making things work.

What is the "best" Calibre compatible reading app for iOS? Specifically something that handles progress elegantly. I really enjoy how I can use Reeder to browse my RSS feeds and then hop onto FreshRSS in my desktop browser and do the same; so I'm hoping I can pull the same sort of setup with a mobile app and just using Calibre-Web via browser.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I use Kybook 3 which supports the calibre OPDS server so you can just browse and download your ebook collection directly from the app rather than having to deal with the hassle of side loading the epubs. It does support progress syncing across devices. Though you'd have to pay for a premium subscription. I don't feel the need.

drat it, you had me right up until the end there. That would have been perfect.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

I know it's not likely to be super helpful for you, but Moonreader + does support device progress syncing on Android (though you need some place for it to upload the progress database it makes, be it google drive or some self-hosted solution like Nextcloud) and also supports the Calibre OPDS server as well.

Kybook 3 really is like 95% the way there to Moonreader. I don't think you'll find a better app for self-hosted ebook reading on iOS.

Not an issue there at all, I have homelab broke brain so I’ve got servers for days. Now android devices on the other hand…

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is NFC tag detection kind of flakey? I have the damnedest time trying to get automations to trigger sometimes and it doesn't seem to have rhyme or reason to it. Using a 13 Pro.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Love overcast to death, but I paid for it forever ago and got grandfathered into their new payment system. Iirc they have a free tier so it’s worth trying out.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The iOS Files app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have there been any new contenders in the ebook reader arena or is everyone still using Marvin3/kybook3? I’m getting by just fine with the built in book app but I’d be open to using something else that does it better (preferably still being developed, unlike the two mentioned ones).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Calibre Docker container is a bit flakey but I still prefer connecting to my server and pulling stuff directly vs emailing. I really really really wish I enjoyed reading on my paper white more than I do, but these days it’s mostly on the iPad when I have a minute to spare.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If you’re willing to get a bit dumber you can get a whole thing going with Plex and YouTube DLP that has Sponsorblock integration and strips out ads by default. Totally get if that’s beyond the scope you’re looking for though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

canyonero posted:

Is this documented anywhere? I setup youtube dl on my NAS at one point but didn't find too many strong use cases for it. This sounds interesting but Plex plus Docker plus ytDLP sound harrowing.

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#sponsorblock-options is what you probably want. The Docker setup is actually pretty easy for Plex and I rolled my own for ytdlp though you could get away without the container element. If you’re interested or have questions feel free to drop me a DM.