Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

dexter6 posted:

Does anyone here use Dashlane?

I'm wondering what the best one on iOS is, I think I was spoiled with LastPass' password fill helper on Android. Having to copy my password manually sucks a little bit but I'm not sure if any other iOS password manager apps have fared better.

I am tempted to switch from LastPass either way because, well, they don't have a great track record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've had a fair share of Android phones and some iPhones (iPhone 4, iPhone 6, iPhone 7+) and I can't complain about Chrome on either platform.

Safari is still good, it's just extensions and bookmark syncing that keep me on Chrome everywhere.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is there some photo backup solution that actually runs in the background or have I hosed up my Google Photos setup somehow? I feel like I have to constantly go into the app for it to actually upload my photos to the cloud, which is a pain in the rear end if I forget for a month and have to wait for like 100 photos to upload.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

I. M. Gei posted:

I have no idea what any of these words mean. How do I force close an app or do a full restart on an iPad?

If you go into the recently used apps view (I think it's still the double-tap home button on the Air 2) you can swipe apps up to close them.

Full restart is just turning it off and on. Hold power button, swipe to shut off, etc.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Go refresh the App Store like 5 times because it’s 2019 and automatic updates still don’t work right.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
RoboKiller has been sucking battery these past few days and frankly just sucking at blocking unwanted calls. What’s the current spam call blocking hotness?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Montalvo posted:

Spark has dark mode and it's a great e-mail app!

Note that Spark has been targeted by privacy enthusiasts in the past, but in my research it doesn't do anything privacy-wise that other email clients like Outlook don't.

That said, I still trust Microsoft over some third party and Outlook also has dark mode.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Montalvo posted:

gently caress me

Okay, more questions—what is the purpose of the weird half-screen of emptiness that appears when I swipe down on the dock?

Is that the reachability gesture? Makes it so that you can tap the poo poo at the top of the screen without having to fumble your phone.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

XBenedict posted:

It looks like typical Google branding, so I don't know what you were expecting?

Yeah, and Google branding sucks. :colbert:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

My approach to those kinds of sites is to stop visiting them. There isn't any content on the internet so exclusive that I can't find what I want somewhere else.

Yeah, adblock-blockers are decidedly user hostile. I have yet to see a situation where a site pleads to turn ads off, then you do so and the site isn't completely plastered in ads and trying to hijack your clicks or some stupid bullshit.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 17, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Does anyone else encounter the Fire TV app being completely useless?

I’ll open the app, it’ll connect to the Fire TV, and the buttons won’t do anything. The X to disconnect from the Fire TV does nothing. The Alexa pulldown does nothing. Home button... play button... nothing.

Are fire TV sticks just poo poo, and this is the hard way I find out?

I’ve only got one TV stick in my house right now so it’s not just like a “are you sure you’re connected to the right one?” thing.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Most of what I do on Facebook is get mad at the lovely mobile game ads, or get mad at people who say dumb poo poo.

I don’t post anything and I hardly interact with anything, the only reason I have it is because my wife tags me in stuff. Push notifications don’t work for whatever reason so that’s hardly even a good enough reason to keep it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

frogbs posted:

Posted this in the iPad thread, but this might be a more appropriate place:

I’ve been using Terminus to do some SSH stuff on my iPad, and it largely works great. The only thing bothering me so far is that I can’t select and copy/paste text from within terminal windows easily. Does anyone know if other apps like Prompt allow this? That might be enough for me to switch...

I use prompt and selecting and copying text is just like any other text field.

Just double-tap on the text you want, it brings up the selector, then you can refine/copy/etc.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

frogbs posted:

Thanks! I think I might spring for Prompt then, I usually really like Panic's stuff.

Have you used 'Code Editor by Panic' (formerly Diet Coda)? I'm looking for a combined SFTP client/editor too and that looks to be one of my only options.

I have not, I mostly use Prompt for on-the-fly server admin stuff (mostly because I work with an off-shore team who seems to be completely clueless how to use systemd services, so I always have to jump in and restart services).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Ah yes, the “double down on it” strategy. It’s a bold strategy, Cotton, let’s see if it pays off for ‘em.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Migrated my old phone over to the new one. Outlook is notifying me of emails that come into my other inbox, not just the focused inbox like it says it should in the notification settings. Weirdness from the migration probably?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

benisntfunny posted:

Not exactly that. I had an indicator for 14+unread emails. if a new email came in and i read it the indicator went away until new emails came in. At which case
i’d have “15” again. I replaced my outlook with the testflight version i previously used and the issue is resolved.

I ended up just flipping the settings for notifications back and forth. Now it works as it did before.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Trusting your kid and kids doing dumb poo poo aren’t mutually exclusive.

I mean, I guess, but I'm not sure "I'm going to surveil my child's driving habits" is the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FCKGW posted:

“man this google app is a real piece of poo poo. I’m gonna switch to a whole phone designed by them instead”

:confused:

As if people still don't think that Androids are just Samsungs.