Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

TheJoker138 posted:

It's got the weather for the next...hour. It's the most useless thing I could possibly imagine.

Also what the gently caress is up with iPay or whatever? It says that it uses Chase Visas, and I have a Chase Visa, and it says it's not usable.

Hilarious if you think that any weather pattern that matters is predictable with certainty for more than an hour.

In other words, enjoy the widget 5x the size that reports it will be sunny all day with a beautiful background of a sun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

nickutz posted:

The Facebook app essentially killed my battery today. Is revoking it's background app refresh privileges enough to keep it from doing it again? I assume that stops push notifications as well?

It's because the Facebook app engages in a poo poo ton of sneaky tracking behaviors, as recently outlined in the post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/2jrg21/as_per_request_after_submitting/

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

CitrusFrog posted:

Thanks. It looks nice, but it also requires installing crap on my PC. I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with the "install some sort of gateway/server" crap because of cross-platform encoding so IOS doesn't choke on .avi and .mkv files (and even some mp4/m4v files in my experience).

Plex is amazing software, even in the non-Plexpass form. Try it before you knock it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

NINtype keyboard just got a really slick update and kicks a whole lot of rear end. Costs $5 and has a hell of a learning curve, but I'm really liking it so far.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

japtor posted:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/12/03/nintype-keyboard-for-ios/

That looks quite... :pcgaming:. Know if it works ok for just plain touch typing on iPad or does it seem more tailored to two thumbs?

On iPad it's tougher to use because my hands aren't big enough, but it does have a way to shrink and move the keyboard to the right or left so you can swipe type one-handed, which is cool.

For the phone I am finding it easier to use with some practice, but in my opinion there is a pretty steep learning curve.

I do think it's one of those things which will completely change the way I type over time though.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

Does it still come with those OS-level bugs that basically ruin the whole experience?

I think iOS 8.1.1 fixed a bunch of those. I haven't seen many bugs yet.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Feenix posted:

This is tempting but I can't tell if it would improve my life
or be a complete disaster.

ĩŧ ăłŝō ӈāş ă ƿřअŧҷ śĩċĸ ŵőřđ ᒎũɱƃɮ നőʤ, įƒ ŷவ'ŗē ōɳ ŧħĕ ƒěňɶ āƅவţ ĭţ.

Honestly though, I don't mind paying the $5 because the guy was working on the jailbreak version for a long time and spent a similiar amount of time on this version. I'm sure it'll go on sale at some point in time. I will say it makes it tolerable to type in landscape mode on an iPad for me, which I cannot say about the stock keyboard.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I like using a VPN in combination with Splashtop to make it think I'm on a local network, even when I'm not.

Also, Nintype keyboard just got an update that squashed a lot of bugs and made it even faster and better. Also, if you're jailbroken there's a cool tweak called NinKeyboardMoreMem that is able to allocate more memory to third-party keyboards which basically solves almost every issue with their unreliability in iOS 8.1.2.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

1Password, the one true password wallet just added the ability to store one-time passwords for any sites that support two-factor authentication. I can now get rid of Authy, which while functional never wowed me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

That's really cool, actually. But how do you get into your 1Password if it's your second factor?

You do the whole scan the QR code on whatever site you're trying to get a code for, the same as saving it into Google Authenticator or Authy.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

I mean, like, your authorized device breaks and you have to log into your 1Password. 1Pass needs an authenticator code. Your authenticator codes are generated by 1Pass, which you need a code to log into, so now you're locked out by this recursive circle of security.

I mean, it's perfect, like PassHole, because not even you can get your passwords, but isn't that a problem at all? Do you just use your phone number to get a code from 1Pass?

I don't understand. 1Pass uses a password to authenticate, but it doesn't have two-factor authentication. You simply store your two-factor auth in 1Pass, for all other sites that do use it.

Edit: wait, do you mean what if you have to log into DropBox to access 1Pass, but you can't because your auth token for DropBox is in 1Pass? In that case I hope you wrote down the code to access your DropBox account if you can't access your device that generates tokens.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 27, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

Oh. Lastpass has 2FA. Seems like an important measure for a password manager, and 1Pass kind of shrugs it off because you'd have to get the data from Dropbox (or a synced device) and the 1Pass password. Not a thing to lose sleep over, but still kind of weird.

Right. In theory with 1Pass your data are locked behind DropBox or iCloud, which themselves are protected using strong passwords and two-factor auth, before you can even get to your 1Pass data which is protected with another password.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

flosofl posted:

I might have missed it here, but Pushbullet was released today for iOS and the Mac.

It has been out for the iPhone for some time, but the new update for iOS adds iPad support.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Printer Pro by Readdle is free right now, and it's pretty good for printing to some non-airprint printers. Regularly 7 bucks!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes, which is why all other calendar apps suck.

Jailbreak and then you have options to put Calendar.app on your home screen but then have it open to Fantastical.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

~Coxy posted:

Never heard of that! What's the tweak called?

Add tateu.net/repo/ and download CalSwitch for free. Then if you want to support the guy, buy Mail Labeler which kicks an insane amount of rear end if you use multiple email accounts in Mail.app.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Most apps abide by the 10-minute limit, but one of the big offenders that doesn't abide is Google Hangouts, which had eaten about 30% of my battery by itself over the course of the day because I checked a voice mail to my GV number.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Mr. Reader has never failed me or asked me to pay money for it multiple times.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Heads up! Like Plex but don’t want to pay for PlexPass just to download media to your device? Air Video HD is free right now, and lets you do just that! It won’t replace Plex for me because I use Plex for photo and music storage as well, but I will definitely use Air Video for a simple one-click transcode option for the occasional long plane flight.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Purify is loving dumb. Blocks Facebook logins (and subsequently breaks any site that you can login using Facebook, like Fatsecret, Feedly, etc.) Blocks links from Slickdeals (probably because there's referral/tracking info in them), even blocks legit sites like Staples that I do business on regularly.

Also, 1Blocker has a "block trackers" setting that breaks Ebay and Paypal.

Like, I get that Facebook, Ebay, and Paypal are shitlord sites run by assholes. But they're also sites that LOTS of people use, and this kind of breakage should not have passed notice for the people curating the block lists.

Finally, the free Safari Blocker's lists work amazingly and haven't broken any site I regularly use yet. I did notice though that it doesn't seem to whitelist sites correctly yet. For example, if you download shutup.css and enable it, Reddit comments get broken, and whitelisting Reddit doesn't stop the comments from breaking. I'm sure the dev will fix it, however.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Most people use those company's associated apps. If it's a problem for you, just whitelist it.

Whitelisting Facebook then allows all of the ads and trackers that you'd want to block in the first place. And the Facebook app collects insane amounts of data, right down to your location when you're browsing, swipes you make and duration of time you looked at each post. Seems like a pretty reasonable request to allow logins to Facebook, yet block some or most of the ads and tracking that happens to you.

tuyop posted:

Feature.

Normally I'd agree, but pissing all over a site that's 98% garbage and overlooking the 2% that's not is beside the point. Reddit has really good subreddits like r/jailbreak and r/churning that are pretty useful on a regular basis.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Kaizoku posted:

Use one of them mobile apps? Isn't reddit one of those where everyone hates the desktop site even on desktop?

Reddit on desktop isn’t bad for the 4 subreddits I read regularly. I use an app to browse it on my iPhone, but on iPad it’s perfectly fine to browse the site.

I tweeted the dev of Safari Blocker to let them know the whitelisting isn’t working. We’ll see if it’s a bug or not.

Finally, to everyone who is recommending just use the app, there are good reasons not to use the app on some cases. For example, the Facebook website (mobile and full) let’s me send messages. The app requires me to download messenger.

I’d rather just use the website. But overzealous content blocked are messing that all up.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Legs Benedict posted:

sorry we are mocking the well paid internet writer man for complaining that the nice apple watch band looks ridiculous when he wears a lovely spiked leather bracelet

only serious talk in this thread

speaking of which, thread, is there a reddit app that isn't complete hot loving garbage? I only need it for like two subreddits but as far as I can tell they are all really bad

Amrc. Barebones UI, but incredibly good UX.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Avocados posted:

Have third party keyboards improved in the past couple of months? I keep trying to return to Swiftkey but there's still crashing and refusing to load and all that jazz.

Yes. I’m an avid Nin user and while on 8.4 there were jailbreak tweaks that could allocate Nin more memory to stave off crashes, even with those tweaks Nin was never as stable as it has been in 9.0.1 with a 6s+.

9.0.1 is also much better about restarting the keyboard if it does crash, so while there’s an occasional 1s delay while Nin restarts itself, it’s much better than iOS 8 where Nin would crash and iOS would be unable to restart the keyboard, necessitating force closing the app you were in and pulling down spotlight to reload the keyboard, then going back to the app you were using.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

wooger posted:

Yep, those MFers promised the (free) iPad update for years, while updating the iPhone app multiple times.

It'd have been trivial to make the iPhone version universal *years* ago, the code is near identical. In fact, if you jailbreak and force it to run in fullscreen mode on an iPad it's apparently fine!

Happy enough with Twitterific for now after being forced to use it on iPad for years.

Does the new Tweetbot have a night mode or theming of some sort? That pure-white screenshot looks like it would be un-useable for me.

I’m in the same boat. I bought Tweetbot 2 for iPad and 3 for iPhone. I still use 3 on my phone on a daily basis, but I long ago replaced Tweetbot on my iPad with Twitterific, which is pretty great. I won’t say no to a free upgrade, but I won’t pay to fix something that isn’t broken!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I tried out crystal since it was cheap, and it blocked ads in safari at first, but is now noticeably missing ads for multiple sites. Anyone else see this?

Crystal was a trap. The guy has been receiving poo poo loads of negative feedback because he wants to whitelist some ads. Because of this he dropped from a top spot in the app store out of sight. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn he’s stopped maintaining the app altogether.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Mahoning posted:

I have background app refresh off for the Facebook app. I also use my work computer for Facebook between 9am and about 4 or 5pm. And mostly use my iPad once I get home.

Facebook has used 30% of my battery in the last 24 hours and 29% in the last 4 days.

Definitely don’t do anything crazy like propose that people should delete Facebook and use the website, both because the website has less of this battery-usage bullshit built in, and because you can send messages. People will rail against you like idiots for it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

tuyop posted:

Or like, don't stare at Facebook all day every day? Read a book or get an rss reader for your news. Your friends are idiots anyway.

I don’t look at Facebook but a couple times a day. The problem is the Facebook app acts like a voip application and stays active even when you aren’t looking at it. Hence the complaints about its egregious battery usage.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

hadji murad posted:

I've been happy with Downcast for a while but what exactly is Overcast's Smart speed and how much time do you save?

It removes silences and pauses in podcasts automatically. It has saved me 7 hours of listening time in hundreds of hours of podcasts.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Unless they make a bundle that includes TB3, TB2 for iPad and TB4 and then let me “upgrade” to TB4 for $.99 or something, they don’t have my sale. I may tweet them about this to see what they say.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Legs Benedict posted:

I too think that $1 is a fair price for many man hours of labor

Actually yeah, $.99 is what I paid for TB1 and TB2 iPad. I paid $2.99 for TB3. You’re saying TB4 is somehow worth more than 1, 2, and 3 combined? Laughin my buns off.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Devil Tesla posted:

An iPhone is $650

So what? I also bought the iTunes credit for 35% off, meaning TB4 would only really cost me $3.24 + tax.

I personally am just not willing to reinforce bad behavior by paying full price for an app that could and should have been universal when version 3 was released.

If you are willing to reinforce that behavior, definitely enjoy paying again for TB5 in a year or two! Me, I’ll wait for the inevitable price drop because TB3 and Twitterific still work great!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The Devil Tesla posted:

I've just stolen $5 from your wallet.

You bad man.

Also don’t feel too bad. I rarely buy apps unless they go on sale. This week it was Out There Omega Edition, Legend of Grimrock, and Sorcery 3, all for $.99 a piece.

Edit: and Horizon Chase just now.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 1, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

One compelling reason to stay on TB3: when browsing webviews TB3 lets you swipe from screen edge left to right to go back to your tweets. TB4 makes you push the “back to” at screen top left, which is hard to reach on a 6s+. Using reachability to get to it is just slow.

Obviously TB3 doesn’t benefit from ad blocking, but I prefer the swipe back behavior over seeing an occasional ad, personally.

Also, I think when iOS 9 is jailbroken someone will be able to code a tweak to replace all webviews with the iOS 9-type views.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

cryptoclastic posted:

What's the best way to get epubs to sync up across devices? Is there anything that will work like the kindle app? ie. it will know your location and sync you to that point?

Marvin, hands down. It will sync bookmarks perfectly between devices.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Workflow owns for:

1. Sending my wife random gifs using Giphy in a very easy way, to make her smile.

2. One-touch audio memos from my Apple Watch, uploaded automatically to Dropbox (or wherever).

3. Converting live photos to gifs to share with Android folks.

4. Converting slow motion videos to regular videos.

5. Saving nzb and torrent files directly to a specific Dropbox folder, which then synchronize and start downloading automatically since they’re saved into a watched folder.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yo can you post this!

It’s just the standard “Save to Dropbox” action with the specific folder you want to save to configured. Then set the same folder as your watched folder in your NZB and torrent programs of choice.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Unless posted:

I want to track my sleep, caffeine, food, water intake, exercise, and walking. I don't want to carry anything except my 6S with me. Is there one app I can do this all from?

Workflow can do all of this, entered right into HealthKit.

Edit: Not quite all. Workflow can track caffeine, water intake, walking and running. It can log everything to HealthKit, as well.

For food, Fat Secret is pretty good. For sleep, some of the sleep tracker apps are good. I'm pretty sure they will even log your sleep to HealthKit, but I'm not sure that Fat Secret will log calories.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 27, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Irritated Goat posted:

If you're on a family sharing, does anyone in the family get it? I know I may have to log in, download it and log out but wanted to see if it'll do it without that.

1Blocker works with family sharing. In fact, it's free to download for all! However, what doesn't work for family sharing is the $1.99 IAP for 1Blocker that allows you to use all the modes simultaneously. This isn't a limitation of 1Blocker - no IAPs "share" across families (which is dumb, IMO).

I just log myself into the device I want the IAP on, authorize it, then log myself out. The IAP will stay unlocked even if your wife or kid logs back in to their iTunes account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

dik-dik posted:

Lastpass owns. 1Password seems good, but the fact that you can pirate their Mac app pretty easily does make me a little bit skeptical of their security. I realize that doesn't entirely make sense but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How is that working out to possess the logic skills of a child?

Edit: Enpass looks neat, but they forgot that 1Pass lets you do Wifi Sync so none of your encrypted files are on anyone else's servers.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 1, 2016