Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Nask26 posted:

Tweetbot update is out, I'm pretty blown away it didn't take them 3 months.

So it said something about share sheet support in the App Store info.

Is that supposed to mean you can share out of Safari (or whatever other app) straight into Tweetbot? If so I'm not finding it, as it doesn't show up in the list of share extensions I could enable.

If not, what does it mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Tap on a tweet and hit the Share button. You know how it used to say stuff like Copy Tweet and Email Tweet? Now you can message it, mail it, share it to Facebook, add it to your reading list, open it in Safari, etc.
Aww. I thought it was the other way around, so I could share links into Tweetbot rather than using iOS' native Twitter support :(

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ICHIBAHN posted:

I'll try that, hermanos. Bless you.

Ok, reduced the size to their suggested font and that fixed the obscuring issue. The app still hides the top status bar though which is quite frankly rude as gently caress.

Yeah I did notice if you use their font, and not the default Helvetica, I was seeing stuff getting truncated in the mention list view (and maybe other places but I didn't look so hard). It seems there's some bug with rendering.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Highly Unnecessary posted:

I plan on switching to an android phone soon and still have $80 of credit on my itunes account, is there any way to turn this into real money? I was thinking maybe through a gambling app but I don't have any experience with them.

Otherwise, how would you guys recommend spending it?

If there are poker game apps or whatever that let you buy chips with IAP, there is no way to turn that back into real money. You also can't buy an iTunes gift card with existing iTunes credit, so you can't convert that into a code you could sell on SA-mart or something.

Your best bet is to just buy some music from the store, the .m4a files will play just fine on an Android phone.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Lum_ posted:

I *think* it's push since it goes through their servers as an intermediary (same way they do Exchange push). The server-side retention understandably freaks out some privacy advocates - for me personally, they state pretty firmly in their privacy policy they won't resell data to 3rd parties and I'm more concerned about the NSA politely asking Gmail for my passwords when adjusting my tinfoil hat.

At least with Gmail it uses OAuth, rather than storing your actual Google credentials, so that's forgivable.

But if you use this with Exchange then you are going to give them your login credentials and it's going to shunt that data through their servers. If I were a corp IT admin I'd have an aneurysm if people were using this.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, if you use Gmail they use OAuth and they should see nothing but an access token. However that does let them have total access to your email, and probably Hangouts/Gtalk transcripts too, since those show up in a unified mailbox in Gmail.

But if I used that for Exchange with my work email, they'd put my head on a pike. I would imagine that for most people who use Exchange, their email credentials are also their Active Directory credentials for logging in on everything else at work.

Doesn't matter if the Acompli privacy policy says they won't sell that info, that's not the point. Their credential db is a goldmine for someone who wants to break in and extract logins to use on attacks elsewhere.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It'd be nice to see Google put their keyboard out for iOS, too. Their predictive text learns from your usage of Google Apps, which is nice.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

wattershed posted:

Do any of these services have some goddamn Bob Seger or Tool yet? That's the real question.

Spotify doesn't.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kaizoku posted:

Supposedly Nokia claimed rights infringement.

It was one of the individual VLC contributors. He worked for Nokia but it wasn't on his employer's behalf, this was totally his own personal crusade.

He got pissy about the fact that App Store distribution allegedly violated the terms of the GPL, under which VLC is licensed. The App Store comes with its own user agreement to download things, and they wrap the files in DRM. These supposedly violated a term of the GPL that you're not to distribute binaries under a more stringent license, or require additional agreements.

So he fired off a DMCA takedown to Apple, which was under his right. VLC's copyright is structured such that you remain a copyright holder of the code you write.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mister Fister posted:

Cool thanks. I notice that XBMC is available, but you need a jailbroken device, that sucks. Wonder why they aren't allowed on the app store.

I imagine since XBMC is GPLd, it's not on the App Store for the same reason as VLC is not on the App Store. There's a school of thought that believes that App Store distribution is incompatible with the GPL since an end user does not have the ability to modify the software and run it on their device. You can, if you buy yourself a developer key for $100/year, but that's not really going with the spirit of the license.

If you're jailbroken then you still have the ability to modify the software and run it on your own device.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

They put out new cards for different apps every Tuesday, too. The Starbucks I've been to just keep them by the table with straws/napkins/etc. I've seen them at Target in their Starbucks shops too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Speaking of Disney World, I was really surprised by how nice their iOS app was when I visited a few weeks ago. As sad as it is that you can no longer just walk up to a ride and grab a Fastpass reservation for later, it's nice to be able to make a reservation for a ride later using your phone. You can manage your whole trip and keep yourself sane, it's quite nice.

Now that Disney's hotel room keys/Magic Bands/tickets are all just NFC cards, I hope that a later version of iOS can emulate more than just NFC credit cards, as the Apple Pay/Passbook framework would be great for park tickets.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there an app that will let me export HealthKit data points, so I could print it out and show to my doctor?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I was really surprised by the lack of any cohesive onboarding experience when all the pieces of the Continuity stuff became available.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

maduin posted:

So Google updated Chrome for iOS with material design and it's pretty nice, etc etc, but the big thing is they used the loving native iOS share sheet, so god bless America hopefully they add it to the loving Gmail app soon.

Oh for the day when I'll finally be able to share a link out of Safari into Gmail without doing a copy-paste texas two step.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oh man if you haven't been following, Tinder updated their app yesterday and now has a IAP/Subscription model which is more expensive the older you are. It also limits how many swipes you can do a day and if you pay you can switch your location and match wherever the gently caress you want.

It's getting absolutely slaughtered in reviews. People are really sensitive about their swipes it seems.

Recall that Tinder is owned by IAC, who also runs match.com, although they tried to obscure it by establishing a "startup" to build it. It was only a matter of time before Barry Diller & Co pulled the free rug out from under it and came up with a pricing scheme for it that nobody would agree with.

Also having never used Tinder, I wonder if this just means people will lie about their age when signing up? That 28 year old person you match with is actually 37?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Any apps particularly good for paperwork scanning, bonus points for OCR? I want to scan all my old tax documents and get them backed up to ~the cloud~ (per A/T's suggestion) so I can clean out my file cabinet some more this weekend.

Evernote Scannable is awesome and Evernote automatically OCRs/indexes things, but I already use Evernote anyway. IIRC it supports standard iOS 8 share sheets so you can still send it to Dropbox or whatever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Evernote OCRs your documents for full text indexing too, which is nice. I don't bother to name notes but I'm still able to find things by search terms like "2015 W-2" because of the indexing.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yep. I never have used Evernote for a single actual note. Only scanned documents attached as PDFs to empty notes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Enterprise cert, which will probably be revoked now.

It's already revoked, and may have been revoked from the beginning, but they've found a loophole.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/popcorn-times-piracy-app-sneaking-onto-iphones/

quote:

Before installation, Popcorn Time’s iOS Installer also asks the user to put the target phone into “airplane mode,” cutting off its ability to communicate back to Apple’s servers. That additional safeguard, says Zdziarski, is intended to prevent the phone from checking the certificate against a list of valid and revoked certificates held by Apple. The Popcorn-Time.se developer confirmed in an email that the team is in fact using revoked or expired enterprise certificates for the installation, though it’s not exactly clear how merely putting the phone into airplane mode can trick it into accepting those old and invalid certificates.

I sense a new upcoming release of iOS that will outright refuse to install enterprise signed apps without network access, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Evernote Scannable is pretty cool, and doesn't necessarily require Evernote as a service. You can send images out of it to anything that supports the iOS 8 share system. It's really cool at distilling the data in business cards in one quick step and can add the info to your contacts on your phone if you want.

If you do use Evernote it'll save a copy of the card image and also extract other data that Contacts can't save (linkedin urls, twitter handles, etc), save that in a searchable notebook, and keep that info out of your phone's contact list.