Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I use flipboard a lot but one thing i'm not sure about: is it possible to aggregate multiple sources into one of their 'magazines'? I can only see how to add individual stories.

edit: Feedly looks a lot better than I remember, might just switch to that as it seems to do what I want. Never have used the social aspects of flipboard.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ChetReckless posted:

Any source you bookmark end up showing up in your 'cover stories' flow. That's pretty much the only way I've found to aggregate sources for new content rather than picking stories. I mostly use Flipboard to follow long form article sources as I think it does a better job showing twitter feeds (and I just like the way they look and handle there).

I use Feedly for everything else. Feedly is pretty slick now, I think. It had some growing pains after Reader shut down, but now it's my favourite of the RSS readers. Might be worth throwing in the OP if others feel similarly.

Yeah I just wanted to be able to group my feeds so that I have collections of feeds on the same topic coming through together as a flippable flipboard magazine thing so like one for goku, another one for MLP etc. Cover stories just lumps them all together.

I've just added my feeds to feedly and this seems to do what I want so I'll try it out for a while - though I will miss the fun skeumorphism and layout of Flipboard I think but I think as I'm entirely RSS i'm making the right choice.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm still waiting for that killer widget.

Though Launcher was good while it was around.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Faithless posted:

I personally use evernote for that. They've just added it as a feature.

They've had checklists for ages and they've always been clumsy on an iphone - whats changed?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tuyop posted:

Now there's a "list" button that creates a new note with a checkbox! :downs:

I just tried this and it created a new note with a single checkbox. Seems a bit poo poo - i'd expect it to add another one after i hit enter on the keyboard.

And it's still a pain hitting the checkbox.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

bvoid posted:

...This is exactly what it does.

Just tested a bit and yes it does - with the stock keyboard. But with Swype it doesn't.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there an app that will display photos I've stored in my google drive account better than the drive app?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I recently converted from Instacast to Overcast. I love how simple its options are for what podcasts are downloaded and retained and the speedup/volume boost functions.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Imagine a music playing grocery list app with a weather widget.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What secret incantations do I have to perform to get Overcast to download my podcasts, ready to listen to when I start the app?

I've got background app refresh on, and allowed Overcast to use it, and I even allow cellular download yet I still have to often have to wait for podcasts to download when I start the app. It works some of the time, but not always.

Help me goons.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

sleepwalkers posted:

I've not had any issues with that. Did you ever turn off the background refresh or anything that might mess with that part of Overcast?

Nope and ive checked its all turned on.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like the look of this new weather app just not sure if i'm ready to pull the trigger yet.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Think I'll hold fire on BeWeather - hoping it might be in the Black Friday sale.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

CygnusTM posted:

Jerk or not, there would be no SA Forums RSS feeds without Marco Arment. That makes him OK with me.

These forums have RSS feeds?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Does anybody know of a camera app that does the 'lens blur' feature of the latest Android camera? All the ones I can find simply add a focal point blur.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

decypher posted:

Facetune has a blur effect which gives the effect you're looking for I think.

I've got Big Lens which I think does the same thing: let's you selectively blur a part of a picture to give the illusion of increased depth of field. This seems different to what the android camera app does which requires you to tilt the camera up and down while focussing on an object - the result is just a bit more subtle and effective and I'm surprised it hasn't been copied by somebody for an iOS app.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Xabi posted:

What's the best app for saving stuff for later viewing/reading? Pocket? Instapaper?

I'd say pocket.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I highly recommend Noisli.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Look for the app 'slowshutter'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There's a new scanning app from Evernote out.

I don't know what it's like though as the App Store won't let me download anything at the moment.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It can't help me hook up with local guys.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Tunebox will play MP3s from Dropbox.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

Any apps particularly good for paperwork scanning, bonus points for OCR? I want to scan all my old tax documents and get them backed up to ~the cloud~ (per A/T's suggestion) so I can clean out my file cabinet some more this weekend.

I like Scanbot - Pro upgrade IAP includes OCR and it can automatically upload to Dropbox.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
iBooks?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tuyop posted:

What's the benefit of a low digit count?

The lower the number the older the account and the higher the 'prestige'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Very similar I expect.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I like Overcast.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mo0 posted:

See, I don't care about Twitter or Facebook, I want an app that condenses a bunch of news sites into one app without being a shell on top of a web browser. Feedly seems to just tell me to go to the website nine times out of 10.

I use feedly to manage my feeds and Newsify to read them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm going to stick with Dropbox to store my photos but i wouldnt mind an (IFTTT?) way of synchronising them all to Google Drive as a backup and for searching and those automatic effects.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Are there any viable iOS apps for managing risk mitigation plans for personal issues? I guess it's sort of like a to-do list but it's all laid out in discrete actionable steps to address known risks in a given system (RE: MY LIFE) and incrementally reduce the likelihood and consequence of that risk. Right now I'm using excel which is fine on my laptop and desktop but is terrible on my phone.

I don't know if any of this makes sense. I'm learning Risk/Issues/Opportunities management at work right now and I'm trying to see if it's something I can apply to my personal life to fix various identified behavioral issues I have. I want to become a robot man.

I'd like to see this spreadsheet.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Dashlane is better.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm a Mailbox refugee and have been trying Spark. It's OK, but a bit 'fussy' compared to how nicely minimal mailbox is, and the badge icon doesnt seem to be very good at keeping itself up to date.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I can't find my perfect mailbox replacement.

The main problem I have is that for some reason none of them seem to give you the option of deleting or archiving with a different swipe action. Sometimes I want to quickly archive a message, sometimes i want to quickly get rid of it. I've tried Outlook and Swift and Boxer and mail.app and Gmail.app and Inbox and Dashlane as far as I can tell none of them offer this seemingly simple thing. Have I missed something somewhere?

Apart from that they all have various quirks I don't like: Outlook wastes my time with calendaring and contacts, Swift is messy, Inbox too quirky, Gmail swipes are weird.

Basically I just want to keep using Mailbox. gently caress you dropbox.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Ffs when I said 'swift' in my post i meant spark.

And you know what - it does do exactly that. They must have updated it. It's a Christmas miracle.

just wish it was less....blue

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm so sorry everyone.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dik-dik posted:

Mail.app lets you swipe in one direction for archive and swipe in the other direction for delete.

How do you do this for a gmail account?

Never mind I think I've worked it out happy Christmas everyone

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 25, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's good to know I'm not the only person who struggles to think of a use for Workflow.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why does Tweetbot still show tweets from people who have mentioned me in my mentions feed even when I have muted them?

I've never been able to get this to work - am I missing something obvious?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

track day bro! posted:

Is tweetbot the only decent 3rd party twitter client? I'm fedup of the amount of sponsored tweets i'm getting with the official app.

He's fedup of the amount of sponsored tweets he's getting with the official app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Try Upit