Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Another vote for Plex being awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am disappoint. I was kinda hoping after a long weekend, more of my myriad apps would have updates today.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't take the bus anymore but Transit (which last I used it was a solid transit/bus app) now has a Widget as of today.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Popkey Gif Keyboard hit the app store today. (Free)

I have now tried 2 Gif keyboards and I guess I am disappoint (a little...) that they are not actually keyboards but instead "Press here to copy, long press up here and select paste to paste" boards.

Otherwise, just fine and dandy.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Do we know what its source is? Because gently caress weather apps that tell me downtown Seattle weather when I'm 8 miles north in northern Seattle. That's why I like Wunderground the most.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Dave posted:

Most of the widgets are not thinking that vertical spacing is the most important thing in the notification center. If I made a weather widget it would look something like this:

Where do I donate to your kickstarter??!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lum_ posted:

I'm a huge fan of Acompli and the iOS 8 update for it just dropped over the weekend. It's an all-in-one client that pulls in *everything*.

https://www.acompli.com/

This looks dope. Why is it free?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lum_ posted:

I'm a huge fan of Acompli and the iOS 8 update for it just dropped over the weekend. It's an all-in-one client that pulls in *everything*.

https://www.acompli.com/

I'm no highfalutin' business-man, but this (so far) seems like a loving game changer sick app.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
2 Acompli niggles:

1) Can I change the sound when I get mail? I hate the default tritone. [edit] Found sounds, under each account in settings of the app.

2) Sometimes it hangs a bit trying to open an email from a lock screen swipe, etc...

[edit] No idea if it does push or fetch, but I can tell you I just got 3 emails in the span of 5 minutes where my phone dinged the same moment the notification popped up on my gmail on my computer/browser. I've never had it happen that fast before.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 6, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Neurophonic posted:

Spotify has had an absolute ton of new music on the day or before the day of release recently, including some stuff that's a little left field from the norm. They have really good curated playlists too and well, it's well established and the apps are slick.

I have Beats. Because I have a Sonos as well, Sonos support is important to me. I've actually been checking out Deezer because it claims "audiophile" quality streaming. (Buzzwords, whatever... but so far so good.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I just meant video, sorry for the confusion.

If you mean streaming stuff off a computer over the magic of airwaves, PLEX has never let me down.

If you mean watching poo poo in stock-unsupported formats that is stored ON your device, I still have nothing but good things to say about VLC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man so Star Tracker updated last night for the new phones and the screen is SO busted. It's off center to the tune of having about half an inch on 2 sides just nothing but dead black screen.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
poo poo that sucks, why'd VLC get pulled?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I've been using Accompli for about a week or so now. It's pretty great. One thing I find myself wondering, however, is what the [RSVP] Button actually does. My wife sent me a google invite and I tap it and it didn't notify her nor did it updated my google calendar.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

TheJoker138 posted:

PaperKarma has recently gotten really loving terrible at actually identifying and canceling anything for me anyway, so it's not a huge loss anymore. It was a good idea, but something seems to have changed over there.

VC ran out, had to pay rent... probably.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I asked yesterday but figured I'd ask once more.

Loving Accompli but have no idea what the drat RSVP button is doing on emails that have calendar invites.

Is it updating my Google calendar? (it's not, should it be?)

Is it informing the person who invited me?

Is it just not working?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Dave posted:

Good news to whoever liked the simple weather widget I designed: I have sold the rights to an app developer and am working with him to figure out what can be added to make it the best weather widget on iOS.

The Widget layout is an important step. Sourcing data is the second. I'm totally ignorant of how this stuff works but can you license/use WeatherUnderground's source?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Zigmidge posted:

His point is you guys take it to a special level.

Really? Because he says right there in his post he never checks the weather... that sounds like his point too...

And people live and work in places different than everyone else. Up here in Seattle, I guess you COULD assume that it's just raining, but me the wife and the kid like to plan out if we are walking around Green Lake on a day, and it's good to know if it's slated to rain or not. I can't believe I'm explaining why people care about weather apps.

Then of course, there's the source of the data. Some suck. And the Widgets... most of them miss the mark.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Everyone has a different life in a different place you loving poo poo birds. I, for one, don't loving care what the weather is 10 miles away in Downtown Seattle when I'm technically in Seattle but just barely.

Also years ago I lived in SF where weather knowledge wasn't as important as it is now in the Pacific Northwest. I also have a kid and plan activities.

How about you live and let live you weather app fascists?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also the "you got along fine without this 5 years ago, calm down!" Is probably the most ridiculous thing ever to say in an iPhone thread, no? :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bvoid posted:

Is there any app that has permissions to delete iOS photos? I want screenshots to delete themselves after a certain amount of time, since I have an unhealthy obsession with screenshotting terrible Facebook posts to show my friends. I have an IFTTT recipe that puts them all into a separate folder, so I can just go in and delete them all in one go, but it doesn't always work.

I think the closest you will get is Flic. (Which is still manual, but very useful at photo management.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bobfather posted:

In other words, enjoy the widget 5x the size that reports it will be sunny all day with a beautiful background of a sun!

It's like you don't even know us... :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah I'm not speaking to my mp3 player in public..

e: Siri, please play s950tx16wasr10 [163.97] (earth portal mix) by artist Aphex Twin

is that a multi-hour EDM mix?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tuyop posted:

Awesome, I've wanted that app for years.

I can't imagine yearning for an app for such a long time and not just buying it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This should be relevant to all you Camera + downloaders. I just got an update for the app that has descriptions about an ultra high resolution TIFF mode that takes up way more space per picture but is good for the really great pictures you want to take. i'm sure they're not liars, but I found it interesting that such a thing existed as part of the camera API or whatever. Do you know if this is really possible or they be bullshitting?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
drat, Morpheus isn't going to like this!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

~Coxy posted:

For uploading I use imgupr which is plain but works well enough.

Picup is simple and slick.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

~Coxy posted:

What's the trick to it? I installed it and the app has nothing in it and I don't have any Share Actions.

Select pic, it uploads, press copy to clipboard, paste link wherever.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
It's not like I use the app much (if ever, really) but does anyone else have a 6+ and StarTracker app? They keep releasing updates claiming to have fixed 6+ issues but since I got my 6+ it's like the screen is off center on 2 sides (top and side) about an inch leaving a huge black border and like no useful functions to the app. But the reviews (last I looked0 didn't seem to mention anything.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

~Coxy posted:

Is Picup the app with the nonplussed cloud icon?
When I open it I get a iPhone 4 sized viewport that says "History" with no buttons or gestures that I can find.

Edit:

Oh right, thanks.
Sorry, I'm a dingus. This whole time I meant "upit".

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yes! Hue app got a widget!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

Speaking of widgets, let's discuss the weather.

No. Let's discuss Hue App's Widget. We don't need to make jokes about jokey things at every turn.

Hue's widget is a good first attempt. You can put 5 items in there. I put my most used scenes. "Dimming the light in my kid's room before bed", "turning on the light behind the tv" poo poo like that. However unlike the actual app, tapping it a second time does not prompt for turning it off. Meaning I need to make an entirely new "off" scene to turn anything off and have them take up some of my 5 Widget slots.

Gonna have to send feedback on that one.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
My only beef, as cool as it is, is how much space it takes up.

Also who is sourcing the local weather data?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

madept posted:

I tried out Beweather 2 and I really like it. There are tons of options in the app and widget so you can show as much or little info as you want. You can also customize font, color, and icons.

It combines data from wunderground with a forecast of the next hour's rain from forecast.io.

To confirm, you are saying you can fully customize the widget? Or just the app stuff? This might be MY JAM!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The complete disregard of widget size by weather apps is the reason we didn't have widgets when Jobs was around.

(I just want a simple weekly forecast like old iOS, drat it)

Isn't that what homey is claiming BeWeather 2 does/allows? Or is total customization not affecting frame-size?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kaizoku posted:

The ability for large widgets ruins them for everyone, obviously.

Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding. You saying that since it *can* handle large widget sizes, it's always that size even if you minimize the data presented?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I kind of wish "Weather Widget" was word filtered into "donkey butthole monkey fuckers, rear end poo poo piss" or something.

That's a weird thing to wish for.

I'd wish for a million dollars and a chin like an action hero.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Suqit posted:

Id wish for you to post a whole lot less.

Also an absolutely ridiculously wasteful wish.

Got BeWeather 2. Loving the widget.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pissflaps posted:

I like the look of this new weather app just not sure if i'm ready to pull the trigger yet.

I've found it to exactly match my exact-location weather for Weather Underground. So it's very accurate, (IMO).

It also can be very big or very small depending on how much you want shown. Also in terms of Widget background color, text color, icon themes, there are like, what feels like hundreds...

It's very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CygnusTM posted:

That's not surprising since...

Oh no, I know. I'm not surprised by that fact. I should have been more clear that all I meant was, it was working well and I found no oddities or discrepancies. :D