Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nask26 posted:

Tweetbot update is out, I'm pretty blown away it didn't take them 3 months.

Still waiting on the iOS 7 update for the iPad version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

aeiou posted:

It doesn't display anything for me. Just has the 'Nearby Lines' header.

Also it seems that Embark nyc is dead. The service advisories page doesn't work. I know that it's no longer in development as Apple bought the team, but I liked it for being able to look at the standard subway map. If transit app could display all lines at once it would be useful.
It works for me, but all it shows me is buses and as far as I can tell, there's no way to configure which buses you actually want to see. I wish it had a way to favorite certain lines, so I can see the ones relevant to me first.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I turned off the Evernote widget when I realized I was hitting it on accident way more than I was actually using it, which was never.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

aeiou posted:

You can favorite lines by, in the main app, clicking on a line, then pressing the star button in the middle of the drop down. They should float to the top of the near by lines. However according to the developer's twitter it looks like there are some issues getting data synced between the app and the widget. Probably whats affecting me too.
Never even noticed that. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

gently caress the new Tweetbot update. it's too large. it completely obscures the top of the phone's display. pos.
What are you even talking about?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It does not look like that on my iPhone 6. Maybe uninstall and reinstall?

Or yeah, try decreasing text size.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unacknowledged posted:

Is Gmail push broken in mail.app now since iOS8? I know you had to link your device before a certain date before, but now it just seems like it's completely busted, despite being on the same device.
Updating broke your push, I'm pretty sure. You can't get it back. Sorry. It's Google, not you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Beats for a few months now. I like it a lot. The curated playlists are nice and there's a lot of the social aspects that Spotify has such as viewing playlists your friends created or sharing songs or albums. The Sentence is a cool feature, too, though I can see how people would prefer the Pandora-style way of playing music, though I also have iTunes Match, so I can just use iTunes Radio for that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Are there any apps that can play music?

Nope. iPhones are no-music zones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ScarletBrother posted:

Our Groceries has cross-platform support.

Edit: Who has a good app for tracking gas fill-ups/gas mileage?

I've been using Road Trip for awhile. It's very nice now that it finally got an iOS 7 update (shortly before iOS 8 dropped).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Overcast because it is orange.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Anyone have a good podcast app? Apple's Podcast app just seems to do boring things like "plays my favorite podcasts" and "remembers my spot in podcasts so I can listen later." I want my podcast app do more exciting things than these things. Thanks in advance

What are your opinions on the color orange?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks! Took the 47... one!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Where do you input the codes again?

On iOS, open the App Store, scroll down to Redeem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xabi posted:

I'm hoping to use my Ipad for travels instead of hauling a laptop with me all the time, but I'm having some problems.

The other day I wanted to send an e-mail with several attachments. Since the native mail app no longer (?) supports Gmail push, I'm using the Gmail app for all my e-mail stuff.

I'm using Pages for writing and making PDFs. How do I easily attach these PDFs in e-mails I wanna send out? I didn't get it to work last time and instead had to copy/paste the text. Also, how do I get the Gmail app to work with more than one attachment? Whenever I push the attachment button in the Gmail app, the only choices I get are 1. attach a photo, 2. attach some stuff from (Google) Disk and 3. make a drawing.

Is there really no way to attach Dropbox stuff, or things from Pages?
You can send more than one file at a time with the Gmail app, but you have to add each one individually. There's no way to select a bunch of items and send them that I can tell. As you noted, it will only send from your photos or from Google Drive.

There's at least a couple ways you can do this off the top of my head:
1) Use the share button within Dropbox to send (though this only sends a link rather than the actual file, it seems). It'll have to go through the Mail app (just set it to only refresh manually, so it never uses data/battery except to send emails), but that shouldn't matter. I assume Pages has something similar, but I don't use it, so you'll have to figure that out for yourself.
2) Use an app like Documents by Readdle that hooks into Google Drive and Dropbox, and upload your documents to Google Drive and send through the GMail app this seems like it would be a lot more involved, though, so the first is going to be better for sending individual files, if nothing else.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xabi posted:

Thanks! This seems like it could solve the problem, but I must admit it's a lot more difficult than it IMO should have to be. Sometimes I really miss a simple way to store files on the ipad and send them along, as you can do on a computer. But a proper file system will probably never happen so I should just let that dream die right now.

You *might* be able to do it with GoodReader, but don't quote me on that, as I've only minimally used it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

3rd party keyboards have all been really bad even on my 6. I think the feature isn't really fully-baked and the 1 GB of RAM is probably not helping matters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Donald Kimball posted:

Is there any chance of Google Keyboard coming to iOS?

Yes!

Is there a good chance? Who knows!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Took KHY on the lower left. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Overcast is the best because it is orange. That Smart Speed is really good and useful is secondary to this. 53 hours saved!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use it for those, so yeah.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

The original plan was for 12 episodes, but since they are making them as they go along there are no guarantees.

Does anyone else find certain podcasts ending a minute or so early with Overcast? The most recent episode of On The Media had this problem.
I've run into this a few times, but it's usually during an outro, anyway, so I haven't ever cared if I don't get to hear someone say "Enjoy your burrito."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lots of them! I recommend Overcast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I tried out Nintype and wow that was $5 I'll never get back.

I think I'm just really not a fan of how iOS handles alternate keyboards, which is to say, poorly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

japtor posted:

There's a way to request a refund on the store actually...I forget how exactly, but your $5 is likely recoverable.
I try not to abuse that just for things I don't like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone else finding Transit to be using a LOT of battery? My usage statistics says it's 48% of my battery usage in the past 24 hours, even though I haven't actually opened it in that time. I have now force quit it and removed the widget, so hopefully that will help.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just an FYI: I posted a few weeks ago about Transit App burning through my battery at all times. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and whatever it was doing seems to have stopped, so that's good. Still weird.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What are people using for CBR/CBZ readers? Preferably with some way of adding comics via wifi or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

I was more surprised (not really) that they made people with 2011 Airs have to take a hex editor to a couple of kernel extensions to get handoff to work because the 2011 Pro didn't have the right bluetooth module and it was easier to say "only available on 2012 and later models" than list specific models it works with. They (nerds) have automated tools now, so it's not a huge deal.
That reminds me I still need to do this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

The keyboard placement seems to have gone away since I stopped using swype. The right side thing happens no matter what keyboard I use and is really annoying. I keep holding out hope for an iOS messages api that gets all the different chat apps into one space because I always have that one friend that has to use their special snowflake chat app rather than just using facebook like a normal human being.
I've never had that happen and I don't see how Hangouts, a protocol in Gmail, which, as far as I can tell, is the most ubiquitous free email is somehow a special snowflake chat app. It's not like they're asking you to use, I dunno, Kik or something. Why don't you just text like a normal human being?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ChetReckless posted:

I will say, as much as I like Overcast, the current version is annoying me. I tend to just throw all my podcasts onto a master playlist in a mix of old and new, fiddling with the order as I go. Recently it stopped remembering most of the changes I make to the order. It's such a little dumb thing but for some reason I find it irritating.

I had this problem for a little bit, but then it stopped. I don't know what happened, though I also ran through my list, so it may just be that I'm not reordering for the most part.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

empty baggie posted:

Where do you find this info? I've looked all over the app but can't seem to find where it tells you how much time has been saved.
It's in the settings under About.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Malloreon posted:

I don't understand why people have it on their phones in the first place. Facebook is a platform best used once a week for 5 minutes tops.
I'm sorry you don't have friends.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Outlook and I like it a lot, surprisingly. The filtering seems to work pretty well and is trainable, and it's a lot nicer than the Gmail client (though I'm keeping that around for its search function with notifications off).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Overcast 1.1.4 came out today and hopefully fixes some of the bugs from the last version. The notes indicate taking care of a sync bug.

EDIT: Beaten by a ninja jfc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I ended up buying Pocket Casts a couple days ago and I love it. I'm way more satisfied with it than I was with Overcast. It's cool that they got it at least partly fixed, though.

Pocket Casts is fine, but it's not orange.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If your steering wheel has a fast forward (not skip), then yeah. Skip only goes forward 30 seconds, which is kind of backwards, but I'm wondering if that's just how iOS maps headphone controls and car controls.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Snagged YY9A. Thanks! (Camera scanning is wonderful.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Google is your friend.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flac-player/id390532592?mt=8

Alternatively, convert to ALAC which it will play natively (this is a very quick process, but I guess if you have lots, it can take awhile and I can vaguely understand why you wouldn't want to, but playing lossless on an iPhone seems like a waste of time in the best circumstances).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He'll lose the added warmth that FLAC offers in his $10 earbuds.