Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
How cool - I pointed my camera at the computer screen and it looks like one just worked.

MAGIC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
But did you remember to pick up that battery on your way home?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I was so excited to see all these posts because I KNEW they were going to be talking about that password management app.

What's it called again?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
My favorite weather / podcast app is Dashlane

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Just goes back to the previous app but still pretty handy.
You can use it to go back to any app. I just did.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

flosofl posted:

Are there any that give weather forecasts?
Have you heard of a new password management app called Dashlane? It's my favorite podcast app.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

tuyop posted:

And A by BNL :argh:
What up same lovely song buddy.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

maduin posted:

Flux for iOS: https://justgetflux.com/sideload/

Has to be sideloaded through Xcode, but it's really easy to do.
Sweet - Stealing and posting in the iPhone thread

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Can someone recommend me an RSS feed reader?

I'd like it to push alert me
And be able to either single post or digest feeds for me
And badge the app based on posts I've read or not read
Free or paid doesn't matter (I'll just skip a hamburger or two this week)

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is Dashlane still the recommended weather and podcast app?

(What's the one weather app I actually want?)

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Thanks

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's a good grocery list app?
Dashlane

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
When people are talking about "built into Carplay", what exactly has to happen?

The app developer needs to build new components for Carplay

OR

Apple needs to allow it to display on screen?

OR

both?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I went ahead and created an event thread here: Apple Event - September 7th - Pre-, Live- and Post-Discussion Thread.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Dashlane

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Can I annotate my hair cut log with it or is it just for checking the weather in my comic book podcasts?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone here use Dashlane?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I just recently remembered at the ios10 presentation they mentioned adding the ability to add spam detectors for phone calls. Anyone know of such an app that works well in the US?
I use True Caller.

It works well, I just wish it updated it's database automatically. Instead, I just try to remember to open the app and update every once in a while.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Thanks. Does it work without giving it access to your contacts?
Yes

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

priznat posted:

CarPlay question: can Waze use voice while connected as it seems when I press the mic and yell at it it has no effect. Is support ever going to be added for 3rd party carplay stuff to get voice support?

Otherwise it’s kinda useless a lot of the time.
Hmm, not sure what’s wrong with your set up. I talk to Siri and Waze in CarPlay and it works fine.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

priznat posted:

Weird. The voice works fine for siri stuff but on waze I get the mic icon to listen but nothing. Do you just press the steering wheel button to talk to waze? I have been pressing the onscreen mic.
I have an aftermarket head unit which requires an aftermarket external mic.

So to get Siri, I have to hit the siri button on my head unit, and to talk to Waze I hit the mic button on-screen in Waze.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
There may be, but my company is the same way and that would be a violation for us, since they consider information in calendar invites to potentially be sensitive / proprietary etc.

They even turned off Apple Calendar sync on our MacBooks because it doesn’t require 2FA.

So be careful

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
What’s the recommended ad blocker (paid or free) these days?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

withak posted:

Protip: Uninstall Deactivate facebook app and don't look back. The mobile site works fine.
Made some minor fixes for you

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL gently caress MY rear end

I decided to try Google ONE LAST TIME and it finally spit out the solution to my problem!

Turns out I just needed something called an “app-specific password” which is a thing you can get from your iCloud account profile page. You click a couple of links and it farts out an auto-generated character string that you can use as a login password with your Apple ID on third-party apps that connect to your iCloud account, like iCloud Mail.

I can’t help but feel like Apple is to blame for this taking me 12 hours to fix because they completely failed to make this information easier to find.

XBenedict posted:

You have to create an app specific password to check the mail from an app.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Anyone have idea on how to make notifications (banners and badges) start working again for a particular app (Gmail)?

They were working fine, until I u installed the app to try a new mail client for a few days. Today I reinstalled Gmail, and now notifications don’t work until I go into the app.

I’ve toggled notifications on and off for the app, as well as fiddled with each type of notification.

I’ve turned background app refresh on and off.

I’ve tried configuring notification settings inside the Gmail app.

And nothing has worked.

Any ideas?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

priznat posted:

Did you do a phone reset? Often that is the be-all end-all fix for those type of quirky things.
Not ready to nuke and restore yet, was hoping there is still a setting I haven’t thought of

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

priznat posted:

no no I just meant shut it off then back on again, nothing that drastic yet. That fixes a lot of weird annoyances like that one I find.
Ah yes, tried that a couple of times. Last time uninstalled Gmail, restarted the phone, and then reinstalled and no luck. :(

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

2FA really more than anything protects against credential stuffing/reuse.

1Password is very confident that between the secret key and a secure master password, it's impossible to break into a vault, so I keep all my 2FA in there anyway. Logging in on a site with 2FA is handy as hell with autofill.
On mobile or desktop? Do you not have to switch back and forth with 1P several times?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Can someone tell me what the expected behavior is when using Gmail/Calendar as your provider while using Mail.app and Calendar.app on iOS is for accepting calendar invites?

For many years I used the Google service AND apps on my phone. Now I’m started using the default iOS apps and when I’m on desktop is use Gmail.com.

When I get an invite in mail am I supposed to tap the ics and then add to calendar? Does that send a response to the sender? Am I only supposed to accept invites in Calendar? Sometimes I see the invite first in Mail and sometimes in Calendar.

I really want to use the default apps but this seems overly clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Quoting myself to see if anyone has thoughts.

dexter6 posted:

Can someone tell me what the expected behavior is when using Gmail/Calendar as your provider while using Mail.app and Calendar.app on iOS is for accepting calendar invites?

For many years I used the Google service AND apps on my phone. Now I’m started using the default iOS apps and when I’m on desktop is use Gmail.com.

When I get an invite in mail am I supposed to tap the ics and then add to calendar? Does that send a response to the sender? Am I only supposed to accept invites in Calendar? Sometimes I see the invite first in Mail and sometimes in Calendar.

I really want to use the default apps but this seems overly clunky.