Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Thanks for the input then! I'll make sure you get a participation medal for it.

My normal commute is under 3 miles. Taking a phone out of a pocket waiting for the Bluetooth to sync and starting a music app is way too much effort on the average day vs turning the key and the radio is already on.

Still want a map with a phone profile though.

It's really not that complicated if you have a decent stereo. My Blaupunkt deck automatically connects to my phone almost instantaneously and auto plays whatever I was last listening to. I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket. I literally turn the key and music or a podcast is playing within one or two seconds, and I can change tracks directly through the deck, as well as take phone calls and get navigation directions. This isn't even a fancy or expensive stereo. It's a no frills $100 CD player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Nask26 posted:

Whats the best app to use with an ODB2 adapter?

Related to this question, what's a good ODB2 adapter to purchase that will work well with iOS/iPhones?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Disappointing Pie posted:

It really is neat perfect. I listen to mostly unprofessional podcasts things like the Bombcasts and MBMBAM and it really makes the podcasts sound tighter and more produced than anything.

Where do you find this info? I've looked all over the app but can't seem to find where it tells you how much time has been saved.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It's in the settings under About.

That's weird. It doesn't show up for me, and I definitely use SmartSpeed. All it shows for me is what open-source libraries the app uses and thank you list.

VVV Ah, I see it now. Don't know how I missed it all of those times.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 11, 2015

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I use an IFTTT recipe that texts me the weather forecast every morning. You can specify what time you want it to send.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Anybody used Been Choice? It's an adblocker that not only has a safari content blocker, but blocks ads from all applications by running everything through their VPN. Wondering what people's thoughts are on this.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Slowhanded posted:

Don't see this app lasting long. Enjoy while you can? Even if it sticks for any measurable amount of time, either a bigger userbase will slow everything to a crawl, or devs will work around this by requiring apps to only operate once a signed token is received from a server after confirmation that the ad was played (many Android apps do this!).

I was surprised apple accepted this app in the first place. I guess if you get a slot, you can win rewards by not blocking Apps, but the whole thing makes me nervous just by having everything going through their network. It seems to work as advertised, but it does slow loading times down.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Millions posted:

Someone at some point suggested creating a track that's roughly a minute of silence and naming it "aaaaaa." The silence will play automatically, giving you enough time to pick a real song.

I actually just rename a song that I really like so it's first alphabetically. When I get sick of that particular song, I change its name back and rename another. It's worked well for me for the past few years.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

The things they're saying make no sense to me, unless they have an active Apple account that is publishing apps to the App store, and Apple is threatening to delete the account if they don't play ball.

I mean they're just distributing code. Apple has no authority to prevent people from open sourcing software, and there are a billion Xcode projects for OSX and iOS on github. Is Apple going to barge in and shut all of them down too?

It's because they're using private API's.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Or BeWeather if you want Weather Underground data and an awesomely customizable widget.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Millions posted:

I found this the other day, but haven't given it a shot yet.

https://www.passsource.com

I've used this off and on since Passbook was first released, and it works OK for some of it's premade templates, but is kinda difficult if you want to customize your own.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

If you aren't opposed to paying a few bucks, I like Carrot Weather. I used to be all about BeWeather, but Carrot is a fun alternative (and they both use weather underground as the source for their info). They both are paid, but both have great widgets and watch apps, and Carrot Weather has a cool iMessage app.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

George Bush doesn't care about black people.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 20, 2016

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

As noted, most developers get around this by offering a limited-function lite version and/or putting features behind IAP. I think the latter is becoming more common now that family sharing of apps exists.

A good recent example of this is Super Mario Run, which allows the first world for free, but locks the rest of the game behind a :10bux: paywall. From what I've read, this may have backfired for Nintendo, since sales plummeted after the first few days and many people have complained about the lack of content provided during the "trial" and the "high" cost of unlocking all content (even though the game is super polished and most people have no issue paying 4-6 times as much for other Mario games on other platforms).

Edit: and thanks for the precious recommendation for buzzfeed news. I never thought I would praise anything associated with buzzfeed, but the news app seems to be top notch.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 4, 2017

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

It shows up for you guys as one of those three suggested words when you're typing? I admittedly haven't used stock in a very long time (pretty much since gBoard was launched) so I could very well be wrong. But as I showed in my example, it's not coming up for me.

It was a new feature of iOS 10, and it's working fine for me.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flosofl posted:

BeWeather is great.

BeWeather was my go-to until I discovered Carrot Weather. I still go back to BeWeather when I need more detailed info, but Carrot Weather is much more fun.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm moving over from Android and I've never used Apple product before.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a data monitor app? The main feature I'm after is an always visible datarate monitor.

Dataman may be what you're looking for. There isn't an alway visible monitor, but there is a widget.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

With Pioneers AppRadio 4, you can use CarPlay plus Pioneers version (called AppRadio), which allows other third party apps (like Waze) to be used. It's not perfect, but definitely better than just CarPlay alone.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I think they mean the News app, since newsstand wasn't even an app but just a dressed up folder.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

hey girl you up posted:

Since 3.0, I've twice driven to Dunkin' Donuts while listening to Overcast. Walked in, picked up a coffee, and left, never touching my phone. When I got back up in the car, Music.app started playing.

It's not a big deal, but I'd rather have that work than any of this new stuff.

I may be wrong, but I'm not sure if that's due to 3.0. The SiriusXM app does that as well, and both it and Overcast started getting bad around the same time.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Huh. Interesting. I can't think of a time when I didn't have that issue, although I suppose SiriusXM has always been worse about it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Weedle posted:

I think you might be the only person in the industrialized world still using iOS 5.

Eh, I have a first gen iPad that's still running it. It does what it needs to do for my non tech savvy wife while I happily live in the modern era with my iPad Pro.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flosofl posted:

I prefer Scanner Pro, but really either will work and there' no subscription BS to deal with.

I think Scanner Pro is a top notch product, and though there are others that I've heard work ok, Scanner Pro has a ton of features that have been added over the years that just reinforce my love for the app. I've been using it forever, since it was first released, and it's never given me any issues whatsoever. I've also turned several coworkers into it, and it's become an indispensable app for those people. So yeah, I recommend it.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Arivia posted:

What's a good ad blocker for Safari? Don't mind paying.

I like Wipr, both for iOS and MacOS.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The best part of the subscription is the new icon. I had most all of the features unlocked because I paid for the app back in the day, but I paid the :10bux: just to not have the orange icon anymore (and it also replaced it in CarPlay which looks much better now).

I wish there was a podcast app that would stream from the Apple Watch 3. There are apps that allow you to upload, but they all suck and streaming would be much more convenient and would take advantage of the whole reason for having an LTE capable watch.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 9, 2017

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Legs Benedict posted:

i didn’t realize overcast was on a subscription now, that sucks rear end. i agree that marco doesn’t need the money necessarily but was trying to make a broader point that people generally seem reticent to pay for apps under pain of death

also castro’s nice it’s what i use now

The app is still free (though used to be paid) and some
of the subscription features are grandfathered over for those who initially paid. The 9.99 a year is for a couple of mostly unnecessary features (ad free, new icon, and manual uploads). It’s basically just a way of supporting the dev without just handing him money. The ads are the most unobtrusive I’ve ever seen and do not effect the use of the app in any way.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 10, 2017

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

hadji murad posted:

Are uploads grandfathered in?

I’m pretty sure the only thing grandfathered in is no ads during a podcast.

E: well, and dark theme maybe. Here's a screenshot of the premium page in the app:

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 10, 2017

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

did marco ever explain why the font changes in the dark mode? it does make the whole thing look a lot more generic. i give marco a lot of poo poo but the general design of the app is a really great compromise between minimalism and personality, and i didn't realize how big a component the font was in that until i saw the app without it. truly greater than the sum of its parts imo

I assume it's because the normal font seems like it would be harder to read on the dark background.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Gonna poke the hornets' nest:

Is there a weather app that has push notifications for precipitation like Dark Sky but isn't Dark Sky?

I have and really enjoy Hello Weather but it doesn't (yet, it just updated and added a bunch of good stuff to their subscription tier) have push alerts.

Carrot Weather appears to have a rain/snow alert but only if you have a Mac with the app installed (or an Apple Watch, how does that work)?

Maybe I'll just stick with both Dark Sky and Hello Weather for now but I'd love just one app that does what each does.

Carrot Weather does precipitation alerts through the iOS app if you pay for the premium service. You don’t need the Mac version or the watch.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

enojy posted:

I wish one fuckin' person at Apple would give any reason, any at all, as to why Notes.app isn't available on Apple Watch

This, but podcasts. I can now stream Apple Music on my watch, but can’t stream or even store podcasts? It makes no sense.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

hey girl you up posted:

This thing works as a "send to" target in a podcast app to download the podcast to your phone and might not completely suck? I haven't tried it yet, but it's free to try out. https://itunes.apple.com/app/minicast/id1321902240?mt=8

Thanks, I'll have to try that. I tried a couple of similar free apps that were supposed to send the files to the watch (I think the name of one was WatchCast), but I couldn't get them to work. Overcast even supported something like this at one point, but it was taken out due to some changes in iOS 11 I think?

E: This actually seems like it will work, but you have to pay $3.99 to unlock the full version for it to send anything but the first episode of Serial. It does appear to work with Overcast or any other podcast app, so I think I'll pay the 4 bucks and see what happens.

E2: Yep, it works! Still wish I could just stream instead of downloading individual episodes, but until that happens, this will work well in the meantime.

Now, if SiriusXM would enable streaming on the watch, I'd be completely happy...

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 22, 2017

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

One use is for iPads as point-of-sale systems.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I use the ATT option, but also the free app TrueCaller. I used TrueCaller before ATT started offering their service, and it's always seemed to work pretty well for me.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Stocard does exactly what you want, but it's not intuitive. Open a card, hit "Share", then "Add to Apple Wallet".

I just tried this, and for some reason it doesn’t give me the option to add to Apple Wallet.

E: Apple Wallet doesn’t support certain barcodes, which of course are the ones I’m trying to add, so StoCard doesn’t give me the option to add them.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 21, 2018

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The Dave posted:

Is it a new Overcast feature that it no longer remembers what podcast I was listening to? Since the app update / iOS12 update when I get in my car it just starts playing the wrong podcast, almost every time.

I’ve had that happen a few times but it’s pretty random. Actually, it seems to happen to me when I get a phone call and then resume listening to a podcast.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

TraderStav posted:

First rule of Carplay, make sure you haven’t set up Bluetooth with your receiver in addition to carplay. The head units sometimes trip out and don’t know how to behave when both are connected.

I’ve never personally had this issue, but with car stereos, aren’t phone calls typically handled through Bluetooth? I haven’t noticed with my CarPlay unit, but my previous stereos would always kick over to Bluetooth when a phone call came in, even if I was connected through USB.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, after I posted I thought about it more, and it makes sense that CarPlay would handle all of the phone stuff the same way. Years ago I had the original Pioneer AppRadio, before CarPlay when it was just Pioneer’s iPhone compatible software, and I’m pretty sure it dealt with all phone calls through Bluetooth, but since Apple developed CarPlay, it makes sense that everything would go through that.

E: I still have that original AppRadio but nobody wants to take it from me. It only supports the 30-pin dock connector, so it’s functionality is limited with modern hardware. iPhone 5 launch day was a sad time when I realized upgrading my phone had rendered my car stereo useless.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 9, 2019

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I can only assume that Apple’s reasoning is that the chances of someone getting your password AND access to your devices are slim, but it does seem to be a terrible implementation of 2FA that appears to cause just as many issues as it solves.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

They encourage people to use iCloud Keychain so if I put my password in there and someone stole either my iPhone or MacBook (and unlocked it) then that 2FA is kinda useless since the code will conveniently pop up on the same stolen device …

But again, the chances of someone stealing your device and also knowing your login password should be pretty slim (unless you're the type to keep your password on a post-it note or something).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Hell, I thought digg shut down years ago.