Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can Overcast really not play podcasts from iTunes or am I missing something?
If not, what's a decent podcast playing app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Playing podcasts in my music library that I've synced from iTunes, yeah. Seems like a glaring omission.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm using the Apple app too at the moment, but would like something with some control over audio settings if possible. Setting a per-podcast amplification and normalisation sounded like a great feature.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

iSSH crashes when SSHing into my Mac over wifi on my new 5S when it worked fine on my 5.
Is there a way I can extra a crash log or similar so I can contact the dev about it?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Best calendar app for google cal? I use calenmob but sometimes the colored dots don't appear.

I like CCal because you can make weekends a different colour, and it displays event names in month view rather than dots.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Bummey posted:

I can't offer any advice except to say that the manufacturer is probably a huge factor in gi 1911 pricing. US&S versus Remington Rand, for example. Or whatever.

Gun disassembly apps are back in a big way.

Anyway, as far as SSH apps go, Prompt2 looks good.
TouchID is a good idea.
But where is the mosh support?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Has anyone seen an app that adds a Share Action to upload to imgur?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

For uploading I use imgupr which is plain but works well enough.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

Picup is simple and slick.

What's the trick to it? I installed it and the app has nothing in it and I don't have any Share Actions.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

Select pic, it uploads, press copy to clipboard, paste link wherever.

Is Picup the app with the nonplussed cloud icon?
When I open it I get a iPhone 4 sized viewport that says "History" with no buttons or gestures that I can find.

Edit:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It stopped working for me in ios 8.

Oh right, thanks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Which would they be?

NoAnnoyance, but when I last tried it it did not work on IOS8.1.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Any reason why Google maps app isn't recalculating my position? It really sucks because I'll be walking, waiting for an instruction, look down and find out I've been off the trail for a few blocks.

Is the slider to use location in the background for that app turned off?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

On IOS6 I was perfectly happy with listening to podcasts through the stock music player.

As for Overcast, (I know this doesn't help your mum but for anyone else) the latest version requires IOS8 but if you try to download it from an IOS7 device if will offer to let you use an older version which surprised me because of Arment's predilections.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

You Am I posted:

I thought the App Store still allowed you to download whatever version of an app that suits whatever version of iOS you are running

The developer can turn off that feature on an individual basis which is why I was very surprised that it worked on Overcast.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Can you add podcast files to overcast? Or just downloads?

You cannot. :smith:
(I'm still hunting for a good podcast player than will play files I sync. Pretty sure it doesn't exist. Maybe an Audiobook playing app?)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Rick posted:

I think two or three years ago it was a niche thing but it's becoming more common rather than less common as more podcasts add a premium component that's based on downloading the episodes rather than a premium podcast feed.

For better or worse I still think the stock podcast app handles manual files the best/cheapest if you are someone who doesn't hate plugging your phone in on a regular basis. Soundhound (the shazam alternative) actually does a pretty decent job too, as it just plays anything that's an mp3/mp4 file that's on a playlist (a good work around if you're having the bug where things are invisible in Music even though they're clearly on the phone).

Yeah, I'm using the Apple Podcasts.app right now and "it works" but that's all it does.

Something which could do audio boost on a per-podcast basis would be great.
(Heck, even if it only had global audio boost that would probably get me to buy it.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks, but are you absolutely sure it can play iTunes synced podcasts because everything in the app description leads me to think that it cannot.
Or at least podcast files manually synced through the App Documents pane?

After all, $3.79 is an infinite amount of free Double Beef & Bacon burgers from the Drop Into Maccas app!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

porktree posted:

Is anyone using http://www.myphonedesktop.com/ - I'm coming off using an Android phone for 6 months and the only thing I'll miss (other than the frequent reboots and inability to answer 2 out of 5 calls) is Pushbullet letting me handle sms messages from my desktop. I'm on Windows 7. I was ready to grab myphonedesktop but the reviews leave me uncertain. OR, if there's a better way to do this I want to know.

The only "good" solution I've found for this is to jailbreak and install a VNC server on your phone. (lol)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Thanks, the last time I looked at this (must have been during the IOS6 days I guess) Remote Messages was not nearly as full-featured. Looks perfect now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Interesting, Microsoft is buying Sunrise. I really like the app and it was't clear they had an actual business model. Apparently it will be kept alive as a stand-alone app while slurping tech into other Microsoft products.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/02/04/microsoft-sunrise/

Apparently Microsofts new business strategy is to buy all the apps that I use to replace the stock iOS versions (because they are terrible).

Hopefully MS will make them add a Month view.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Malloreon posted:

There is zero reason to use any podcast app beyond Overcast. smart speed/true 2X+ is the best thing to happen to podcasts since apple's fake 2X speed.

Overcast can't sync files/playlists so it's not very good for archives or backlogs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Some podcasts I listen to seem not to have the concept of dead air being bad (when they're trying to look up a fact or trivia or something on their phones), so I can see Smart Speed being really useful for those times.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I don't understand why people update Facebook.app.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

teraflame posted:

I don't understand why people just don't use Paper as a replacement.

It's still US-only, isn't it?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

If you're jailbroken, you might wanna check out BerryC8. It lets you put up to 8 apps on your lockscreen.

Good stuff. Thanks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

bobfather posted:

Jailbreak and then you have options to put Calendar.app on your home screen but then have it open to Fantastical.

Never heard of that! What's the tweak called?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Google Calendar has no Month view. Day 1 Delete.

edit: to be exact, it has "Agenda", Day, and 3-Day.

VVV I'm just glad I'm not the only one who uses Month.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 11, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I can't delete it in 8.1 so either that or 8.0.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Aren't most of those apps used for the other way around? ie. putting your WIndows screen and audio onto the iPad?

Anyway, I use XMirage as an AirPlay Mirroring target and it works OK.

Remember though that AirPlay is basically sending 1080p H.264 streams in real time. You will need a half decent Wifi network and computer to play it.
For example, I have a HTPC with a weenie low power CPU and it can't handle it. I'm guessing it doesn't use the GPU to decode?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The keyboard not appearing bug is annoying but can't you swipe up when it happens?

Maybe I'm thinking of the scrolling bug.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

As of iOS 7, this isn't really how backgrounding works anymore. I can't remember the full details, but apps have a lot more freedom to run in the background than they used to.

I disagree, I think that post is pretty much correct.

Certain apps lie and claim to be VOIP or GPS apps so they can be "woken" as you move around and re-background themselves.
But there is no way without jailbreaking that you can have an app always be active.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Google Maps is quite dumb about continuing to read off long verbal instructions when your position on screen clearly indicates that you have obeyed said instruction so shut up and put my music back on. :argh:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

eightpole posted:

What do people have against the default podcast app?

It has no features apart from the ability to sync old taped episodes of Loveline.

Which is why I use it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is there a better Calendar than iCal for iphone and OSX?

You're going to need to expand on your requirements to get a good answer.

I use Calystwo CCal because as far as I can tell it's the only calendar that has:
-sync with google calendar directly and handle multiple shared calendars
-customise the start day of the week
-colour-code weekends
-colour-code Today
-print the title of events in Month view
-multi-day events render across days nicely

If it would only cross off days in the past it would be perfect.
Since pretty much no other calendar has a usable Month view I must be in the incredible minority but I mention it in case anyone else has been dying for it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

I awoke to Google Photos having about 10 edited, filtered and soundtracked videos.

Pretty loving cool.

Mine seems to be doing dumb things like "collages" of my wedding with the same 3-4 people in each collage, an "animation" which did correctly identify multiple photos taken at the same spot but did not do any same point recognition and auto cropping to get rid of the shaky cam effect , or "enhancing" a photo by applying an Instagram filter onto it.

To be fair it hasn't uploaded my whole library yet.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

The Privacy -> Location Services settings for Waze have the options Always or Never. Is there any way to change it to While Using, if not by name then by nature?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Never Update Facebook.app.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

IOS DRM is actually pretty good in the scheme of things. If you have the app downloaded on your phone or your computer you will always be able to access it, even if it gets taken off the store or the authentication servers go down.

IOS5 games are more likely not to work simply because of OS version incompatibility. But in the console analogy that's no different to not being able to run NES games on a SNES.

I don't agree that Apple should ever remove an app from a user's purchase history though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Google Music is free.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

SnatchRabbit posted:

Is there any way to get retro arch installed on an iPad Air without jailbreak?

You can build your own apps for your own devices without having a developer account so I'm surprised we haven't heard more about emulators and stuff yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

ServerAuditor is pretty good too.