Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Circa's branding is ugly and belongs nowhere but a trash can.

Also, I feel like this thread is pretty sparse because it's hard to find. I'd put a link in the final post of the old thread.

It's also hard to find because it has the poo poo Post tag instead of the Apple one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
So I want to be able to play video files such as .avi, .mkv, etc. on my iPhone. First of all, is this possible? Secondly, what combination(s) of witchcraft/apps are best for this?

Edit: I see that VLC exists and supposedly works. What's the way to get the files from my computer to the phone?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

tuyop posted:

Plug it into iTunes, go to the apps tab under the device, scroll down to app data or whatever it's called, click VLC, drag your animu into that box or browse for it with the browse button.

Sweet! Thanks for the fast reply. Is VLC the go-to app for this sort of thing, or is there a goon-preferred animu watching app?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

Best calendar app for google cal? I use calenmob but sometimes the colored dots don't appear.

Fantastical is my Calendar app of choice. Syncs with GCalendar like a charm.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

dizzywhip posted:

It's pretty close, but the grouping by category sort of kills it for me unfortunately.

I'm pretty surprised that there doesn't seem to be any good list apps with those features. Maybe I'll make one myself since it'd be dead easy.

Try Our Groceries. My wife and I use it all the time. Remembers stuff, lets you un-cross things off the list, stores what you've added, has multiple lists (we use that feature for different stores), lets you re-order items, and DOESN'T group them! Has banner ads that are easily ignored and can be disabled by IAP.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Bamabalacha posted:

Do any of the grocery/list apps mentioned have Android-iOS cross support? Fiancé is Android, I'm on iOS, and there has to be a better way for us than sending a million "WHAT DO WE NEED FROM THE STORE" texts.

Our Groceries has cross-platform support.

Edit: Who has a good app for tracking gas fill-ups/gas mileage?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

ray_finkle_himself posted:

Suggestion for a grocery list app?

Our Groceries.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I am looking for something to organize (and separate) pictures that I download from pictures that I take with my camera. I do not like the default app for this. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good photo organizer? Under $2 would be ideal.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Rick posted:

I started to look into stand alone GPS units because I do some back country driving in AZ from time to time. The article said that most people are probably better off with just apps on their smartphone, but it's a 3 year old article so I don't know if the recommended apps are still what people are using.

Has anyone used their phones instead of stand alone? If so, what's the best gps app for an iphone?

For driving, I like Waze.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What does Cesium offer that Ecoute doesn't? I have the latter, and $0.99 isn't a huge deal, but if like to know a little more about the app before I buy. Thanks!

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What's the go to app/method to save YouTube videos to an iPad? Looking for free and pretty simple if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't think there is an app anymore. If you have a PC or Mac, just load the videos in Clipconverter.cc and then stick them on your iPad

Will do this. Cheers!