Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Are there any apps that will let me download Youtube vids for greasy offline viewing?

e: MxTube seems to work again so that about solves it

Xabi fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

How do you download a video in mxtube? When I save the video it literally just saves it. Nothing downloads.
Press the plus under the videos in the search result window. It gives you an option to download stuff into your movies folder.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I'm hoping to use my Ipad for travels instead of hauling a laptop with me all the time, but I'm having some problems.

The other day I wanted to send an e-mail with several attachments. Since the native mail app no longer (?) supports Gmail push, I'm using the Gmail app for all my e-mail stuff.

I'm using Pages for writing and making PDFs. How do I easily attach these PDFs in e-mails I wanna send out? I didn't get it to work last time and instead had to copy/paste the text. Also, how do I get the Gmail app to work with more than one attachment? Whenever I push the attachment button in the Gmail app, the only choices I get are 1. attach a photo, 2. attach some stuff from (Google) Disk and 3. make a drawing.

Is there really no way to attach Dropbox stuff, or things from Pages?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Thanks! This seems like it could solve the problem, but I must admit it's a lot more difficult than it IMO should have to be. Sometimes I really miss a simple way to store files on the ipad and send them along, as you can do on a computer. But a proper file system will probably never happen so I should just let that dream die right now.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

You *might* be able to do it with GoodReader, but don't quote me on that, as I've only minimally used it.

tuyop posted:

The answer is that you can. PDFs and .docs and videos get sent as is without any of that terrible google drive conversion that you have to turn off. You can also select multiple files and send them in one email quickly.
This is marvellous news if true and I'll give it a go later. This whole problem almost hosed me over big time last week.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

smoobles posted:

What's the best app for putting previously downloaded videos from your PC onto your iPad, without any loss of quality? I need to copy the files onto it -- not stream -- because it's for travel.
VLC and nPlayer (I think it is) have wifi transfer. It's not as speedy as USB of course, but you don't have to use itunes and it works perfectly.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What's the best app for saving stuff for later viewing/reading? Pocket? Instapaper?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I'd say pocket.

Thank you, Pissflaps et al.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Why do I have an "edited" folder in my photos app that I can't delete? I know I used iPhoto once to edit some photos and I guess these are the ones. How the hell do I get rid of it?

E: wth there's also a camera uploads folder in there. How do I get rid of it? It's only there on the iPad, not on the iPhone.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 20, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

Why do I have an "edited" folder in my photos app that I can't delete? I know I used iPhoto once to edit some photos and I guess these are the ones. How the hell do I get rid of it?

E: wth there's also a camera uploads folder in there. How do I get rid of it? It's only there on the iPad, not on the iPhone.

No one knows? :(

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Not lately, but I did use iPhoto to edit some photos (most likely the ones in that folder, to try it out). I since deleted iPhoto though but the folder is still there in the photos app. Also, the camera uploads folder boggles my mind cos it's not there on the iPhone and I can't seem to find any info when I Google.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

What the flying gently caress happened to the Tapatalk UI in the last update?
They hosed it up.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Why do you care about what amounts to probably less than 200 MB of space?
That's a stupid question.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

So how is this iCloud Photo Library thingy? Is there any reason to use it if you're already using Dropbox to backup your photos (and have it accessable on all devices)?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I haven't tried the Nokia, but Google Maps has been treating me well every time I've been on holiday. The "ok maps" solution for saving a (section of a) map has worked perfectly, and I just save restaurants/sights/other stuff in there.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Nokia's Here didn't start very well. I open it up and the app believes I'm 1km+ from where I'm actually at.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

japtor posted:

uBlock dev has been working on an ad blocker using the new Safari content block thing in iOS 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJfyB6LrJs
Possibly the best iOS upgrade ever.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Is there any way to manually add ad-URLs with these mobile adblockers? I often see ads get throough both Crystal and Purify.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Thank you. I might try that then if the other two won't unblock ads on sites I visit regularly.

Also, are there any decent apps that will let me download Youtube videos these days?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I'm using both Crystal and Purify but they're letting a lot of stuff go through their "filter", unlike proper browser ad blocks. What gives? Am I the only one?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

FFS the Netflix app on the iPad is driving me crazy. It's says it is installing, but stops at about 60 percent. The app can't be deleted nor downloaded/installed again from scratch. Do I really need to reset the iPad or something to get rid of that little bastard?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Xabi posted:

FFS the Netflix app on the iPad is driving me crazy. It's says it is installing, but stops at about 60 percent. The app can't be deleted nor downloaded/installed again from scratch. Do I really need to reset the iPad or something to get rid of that little bastard?
No one knows? :(

'tis driving me crazy.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Have you restarted? That's fixed this kind of thing for me before.
Did not know that the old Windows 95 trick still worked. Thank you!

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

How is 1Password's iOS integration like compared to Lastpass? I'm considering the old switcheroo.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Seconded. The new Gmail app isn't lovely.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What's the best app if I want to dump video :filez: on my iPad? Preferably something that handles most formats and subtitles.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

They shat the bed when they changed the user interface a couple of years (?) ago. It's completely unusable now. A subscription model will probably be the final nail in the coffin and I won't complain.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Are you syncing with Dropbox or is that stupid as well?

edit: apparently not?
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/26967/how-safe-is-my-data-when-i-sync-via-dropbox

Xabi fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 22, 2017

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Ok, thanks.

If Dropbox syncing is kind of stupid then I guess the regular cloud syncing is stupid as well? How should I use 1password safely then and without too much hassle? Wifi syncing? Store the vault in a local folder on a computer?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I'm sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with more 1password talk but I'd appreciate your help.

I'm on the 30-day trial period to see if I can speed my workflow up. So far everything's fine with my computers at home, but what's the best way of having my passwords avaiable on my work computer? I'm not able to install the 1password program there, but browser extensions are no problem. Apparently 1passwordanywhere is done for (?) and there doesn't seem to be a proper solution afaik. Which is bad news, because I don't want to have to use my phone and manually enter every login whenever I'm at work. LastPass doesn't have this problem (which could potentially be a security problem for all I know...) since the browser extensions have your logins.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

You can't. This is why I don't use it.
Well that's two of us then.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

What’s the best app for playing different types of video files on my iPad?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Where can I see the time saved?

Edit: nevemind, this idiot realised I could google it

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Why is Outlook checking for new emails when I have turned off background refresh? :crossarms:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I posted about this a few weeks back, but the problem persists.

Outlook definitely refreshes and gets new email in the background, even though the app is closed and background refresh is turned off in settings. I know this because I don't want to watch the new email number creep up in my spare time so I close the app as soon as humanly possible every day.

What in the hell is going on? Am I missing something obvious somewhere?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

hey girl you up posted:

Are the messages actually getting downloaded, or is just the badge incrementing? Those are two different things.

If it's just the number of unread emails, badge numbers can be sent and updated via push notification, and Outlook's servers know how many unread messages you have. iOS can update the badge number when the notification comes in without launching the app.
To be honest, I hadn’t even thought about that possibility. It looks like it’s only the badge icon that increases, because the emails don’t seem to get downloaded until I open the app. That’s what it looks like to me anyway.

I need to turn off the badge icon asap then, because that number is freaking me out man.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

Minimoog and Kaossilator synthesizer apps are currently free in celebration of the global pandemic :toot:
Thank you very mucho, Mr Roboto :captainpop:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I’m using Wipr and AdGuard to block ads, but lately they’ve let more and more ads through. Am I the only one? Are there better adblockers out there than these two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

This and earlier email discussions have always left me wondering what you mean by filtering and how you’re using your email clients? Am I missing out in a fancy feature that would improve my life or do you people deal with a lot more emails than I do?