Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I'm almost shocked Paul didn't try to get $5 more out of us for this update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Xabi posted:

Are there any apps that will let me download Youtube vids for greasy offline viewing?

e: MxTube seems to work again so that about solves it

How do you download a video in mxtube? When I save the video it literally just saves it. Nothing downloads.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Can devs not give widgets options in their apps? On android most widgets let you choose exactly what info you want in your widget. It'd be nice to get an expanded forecast widget and a simple view widget depending on what you want.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I asked before but I'll ask again with IOS widgets can you not give the option to have several different widget types? I remember in android widgets were incredibly customizable.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I'm hoping the settings menu's are a focus of iOS 9 or something. It's getting incredibly difficult to find things in the settings on iOS.

At least maybe start letting Spotlight search through the settings area.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I also used Pocket Casts for a couple years and switched to overcast and I haven't looked back once.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I live in Oklahoma and I was just happy to finally convince myself to spring for Radarscope. It's 10bux but if you want to see if a high velocity mesocyclone's coming for your neighborhood it is amazing.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Bananalogue posted:

Goodreader can also download Youtube videos. Just get Goodreader.

Wait what?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

The app sucks, actually. Can't add other media to it, keeps crashing when trying to import from Downcast. How do I go about getting a refund, or can't you get refunds from in app purchases?

Why did you buy the IAP before testing the actual app? You're insane, they let you test out all the premium features before buying, the entire app is functional without buying a drat thing.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Catching up on the last 4 episodes of Serial, Smart Speed has already saved me 20 minutes. I have world-class buyer's remorse, and I gotta say, spend the $5 and upgrade Overcast.

I didn't want to gently caress with the editing of Serial so I disabled all effects for that one on Overcast.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I've had luck with password protected podcasts (Giantbomb specifically) by inserting the username and password into the URL.

Something like:

code:
http://username:password@www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I used Pocket Casts for ages but switched to Overcast and I love it. It even has a web app that stays synced with your apps.

Also I only listen to a couple podcasts a week and Overcast has already done this for me:

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

savesthedayrocks posted:

After listening to 10 episodes of Serial at Smart Speed settings, episode 11 at normal speed through the web player was weird.

Overcast has saved me 59 minutes in the last 2 weeks. My time is worth way more than justifying the $5.

It's funny because Serial is the only podcast I turn off all enhancements for, I want to experience it at 1X Speed without improvements.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
It's been terrible on my iPad 3. It cannot reliably play 1080p video and constantly buffers or changes resolutions and yeah also has issues rotating.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Kheldarn posted:

Chome Remote Desktop is now on iOS. I use it on my Nexus 7 from time to time, and it works great.

Seriously this app is amazing. I'm pretty sure I can cancel my Splashtop subscription now this app works so well.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

It really is neat perfect. I listen to mostly unprofessional podcasts things like the Bombcasts and MBMBAM and it really makes the podcasts sound tighter and more produced than anything.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Yep, if Pocket Casts had Voice Boost and Smart Speed I'd switch back in a heartbeat.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Ok so I haven't really used iTunes since you haven't really needed to sync your phone with it which has been a couple years. And I'm just lost in iTunes 12.

But maybe a different app can help me. All I want to do is I have about 50 mp3's from some Youtube D&D playthroughs that I've ripped to my computer.

I want to play those MP3's on my phone. How the hell do I do it? iTunes refuses to recognize my phone or I don't see where you sync it anymore.

None of my Podcast apps let me add my own MP3's.

What's the easiest way to just play a bunch of MP3's preferably automatically one after the other?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

RhoA posted:

Just so I'm clear. You want to transfer the MP3s onto your iPhone, but iTunes won't recognize your phone, so you are looking for a different program that will allow you to transfer the files to your iPhone? Also, are you on a Mac or a PC?

Pretty much, I'm on a PC.

So far I've just resorted to uploading them to my web server and playing them in safari but I'd rather they be on the actual device.

Also maybe Dropbox?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
gently caress Downcasts, Overcast is where it's at with Smart Speed and Boost. And then Pocket Casts just because that companies awesome and the apps really solid.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I wouldn't count on Jasmine ever being updated again. The dev got bought by Reddit for his Alien Blue app now he's locked in a closet forced to update that app all the time.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

Me and my gf share an itunes store account, does that mess anything up too much with Apple Music?

I can't really answer your question but have you looked into the family sharing options recently introduced? My wife and I used to share an account but recently started using the family sharing features and while having separate accounts we can still share apps and have separate options in music and things.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Feenix posted:

This is gonna be the most idiotic post... Ever.

Can someone kinda.. Walk me through 1Password? Like ok I have it on my iPhone. I have it on my Mac. How do I use it... How is it making my life easier? I'm all about it, I just wanna know how I should be using it...

Don't feel dumb. I bought the pc and iOS version and after a month of banging my head and spending way too long managing passwords and getting irritated at random pc's I use I gave up on all of it.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Youtube is launching Youtube Red in a week which if you pay $9.99 a month you get no ads, off line video saving on mobile devices and background playing on mobile.

I think I'm gonna pay for it... I consume most of my "entertainment" through Youtube now, I don't really watch TV.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

maduin posted:

I haven't looked, but is the internet ablaze with "LOL RedTube" jokes?

Absolutely.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
If you just need a radar you should absolutely be using RadarScope.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Wife got me an iPad Air 2 to replace my 3rd gen iPad. This thing is amazing but I'm definitely disappointed in the lack of multitasking support in major apps. And picture in picture support is thinner than I'd like. Other than that it's great.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Walt Mossberg wrote up a nice editorial on the declining state of Apple apps.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/3/10900612/walt-mossberg-apple-iphone-ios-mac-osx-app-problems

I'm not trying to be oh ho Steve never would have let this happen, but I do feel Apple as a whole has lost some of it's focus and perfection in the last few years. If I tried to walk my mom through how to put a video on her iPhone which is something that happened recently it's nearly impossible. iTunes is miserable and unusable I feel, I still don't think there's a way to put custom ringtones easily on your phone besides using iTunes. I'm not sure how Photos and iCloud Photo Library interact, I have iTunes Match but how does that and Apple Music work together?

iOS as an OS seems to have stagnated a bit. The settings are bloated and hard to find what you are looking for. Even the iPhone itself seems to be treading water, lack of increased storage, the pursuit of an ever thinner device in sacrifice of battery, not willing to take chances in hardware design etc. I dunno, I really want to give Android another shot this year if the iPhone 7 and iOS X don't blow me away. I used a Galaxy S3 for a year when it first came out but went back to iOS pretty quickly.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I've definitely noticed a couple different content blockers are having issues with quite a few sites lately. Specifically it seems like the CSS of sites are being blocked more frequently and I'm not sure if sites are doing it intentionally or it's just a weird side effect.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Man remember when Goodreader was our answer to everything?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Do any music apps any more work like Pandora where they had analyzed music in depth and as you liked music it would build you playlists? Most apps kinda do this but it’s not very smart. Pandora created crazy great playlists full of music I’d never heard of that I loved.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Does Google Maps regularly poo poo the bed for anyone else? I’ve been getting anything from total just laggy unresponsiveness to black screens on car play, to searching for restaurants around me and it showing results that are nearly 140 miles away in a town not even close to the name of the town I’m in. It’s been awful particularly this week.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I've used Overcast for years but might have to switch back to Pocket Casts, the UI tweaks Marco's been making have been kinda eh to me lately. Hopefully I'm guessing other apps have the whole shorten silences and smart speed ups etc?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Lots of mobile plans have unlimited speeds but “video streaming capped at 720p” or whatever. Since Fast.com is a product of Netflix then it makes since it would be throttled on some providers.

I swear I read that was the exact reason for Netflix to create that site originally, to find out which ISP's were throttling their content.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I just wanna be able to search inline through my feed of tweets easily. Tweetbot had this amazing search box at the top of the feed and you could load all your tweets type what you were looking for and it would do an exact search down through the feed so you could super quickly find a topic or person and see what was happening with them.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone ever had an app (specifically the Uber app) completely be hosed up for months on end even after reinstalls, updates etc?

We went to Disney last year and found out last minute the Uber app on mine and my wife’s phone were both jacked up. UI elements wouldn’t fully load etc. it was very odd. We ended up using Lyft but still. I can’t figure out why this is happening.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone else with YouTube Premium find that the app basically only ever plays by default at 720p no matter what setting you’ve chosen?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
I’m looking for an app to store and view pdfs of hundreds of video game manuals so I’d like it to have a robust organization feature… it’d be great if it had some kind of bookshelf look but I doubt anything has that anymore.

I found this old pic for an Android app and it’s exactly what I want. But I wasn’t sure if anyone knew of a iOS equivalent.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I don’t have an answer, but the app you showed is a straight up rip off of the old iBooks app.

Right? Turns out I kinda miss some of those skeuomorphic designs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Anyone else just getting inundated with push notifications lately from apps? Amazon pushed 11 notifications to me today alone since 9am about gifts under $20, gifts for your family, gifts for your techy friends etc. the Etsy and eBay app are doing the same.

You can go in the app and disable them but it’s still weird they went from like 0-100mph on those so fast. Surely it’s not just the Christmas season causing it.