Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Am I the only one who feels a lag when using gboard? It's not huge, but enough to put me off. That along with the autocorrect not firing as much (possibly related to the lag) and the image search not working properly when I tried to use it has essentially killed it for me. I've tried 4-5 different occasions and apps, and same result each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

enojy posted:

Facebook is cutting support for Paper at the end of July, and users will no longer be able to log in/use it. I'd ask about an alternative to Paper that isn't the Facebook app, but I think I'd rather just stop using Facebook for good. I've only used it for event planning in the past few years.

Did this ever even come out outside of the US AppStore?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a news aggregator? The ios9 news app was one of the three most used apps for me but the new version is loving horrible.

I'm really pissed at myself for not backing up before upgrading. I'd be willing to downgrade to 9 but like an idiot I just mashed update.

I honestly thought when I had to go back to iOS 9, that the worst part about it was going back to the old news app. I like the new one so much more, personally.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

People who do iOS app development - is it a legitimately difficult task to keep a user logged in after an app has updated itself? Because it drives me nuts when I open up something, usually because I need it there and then, and rather than being able to use it I'm greeted with a damned login screen. Which means retreating into Settings > Safari > Passwords and hoping that I have the logins in there (as I tend to use Safari generated ones). Slightly tedious if you're just looking something up casually, but a pain when you're trying to use something like Groupon to pay for something.

I presume it must be, because I seem to have had this an absolute ton this week with the iOS 9 > 10 overhaul.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Duck Duck Go's complete lack of relevant search info killed it got me when I used it for a few weeks back last year (something on the line I was using stopped Google from working half the time). Like if I searched for Arnold Palmer on it today, it wouldn't bring up any of the news pieces written in the last day. If they've fixed this, I could be tempted to go back because Google are the worst.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Milkman posted:

Google is still #1 for searching exact phrases like compiler error messages or lyrics but DDG is good enough for most other things. And DDG is getting noticeably better at those now that StackOverflow is a source for Instant Answers

That definitely looks like an improvement, hopefully it keeps getting better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ParcelTrack is free and has always been accurate for me, I don't need advanced features or anything though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MrBond posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a GPX tracking app? I want to geotag my photos from my regular SLR :/

I've redone my phone so I can't tell which one I used to use full time, but I've had both GPX Master and Motion X GPS according to my app list.

The first one has a free version at the very least, so try that first. From memory that's the one I used, and I could grab the gpx files from iTunes easily enough to import into Lightroom.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not using bitcoin.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I use mail.app because I'm an absolute sucker for native integration of things.

Same. And I only deal with personal email which isn't a big deal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Am I the only one who just lets safari handle all my passwords on both iOS and OS X?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Same, it's always been decent and is apparently an official app to a degree.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wasn't there a Firefox thing that did all its rendering externally? It was so bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's the one! I forgot Opera even existed and thought it must've been FF.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Having breaking news on my phone is pretty useful. "So and so has died? That is sad, and also I should avoid Facebook for the next few hours to avoid the outpouring of grieving from people who bought a Greatest Hits album 6 years ago.''

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I need this so bad, but MetroPCS' version specifically excludes iPhones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it doesn't exist, that's a pretty good idea.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And mine is the same screen, but saying 1 month free then $30/year.

I thought I was grandfathered into all the features bar one on it too, as I had it so long. Weird.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's how it used to be for me. I'm not sure how the app knows how you got it, and I guess doing a fresh install of a phone was enough to lose my extra features. No big deal as I've not used it for years anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn't see the notification to drink the water because I couldn't see the notification telling me I need a haircut.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Michael Scott posted:

I believe that's been removed for a long time now.

Nah I just opened the app on mine and since the slight redesign super recently the settings page is super stripped down. I used to have like 50 things I could click (half of which would take me to other apps) and one of them was most recent feed. It has moved about 5 times in the last few years though.

It's so annoying. I guess it must have something to do with saving bandwidth/CPU cycles on their end because it makes no sense to make it so difficult to do.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does this show you what you need?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah they should have the same kind of size slider they use in iTunes really.

I don’t think it bothers me about only 4 per screen, but maybe subconsciously it does as I default to Album View in iTunes but pretty much always use Artist View on my phone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of PDFs, does anyone get an issue when they use Safari to view one that it’ll work for a small bit then the whole document goes black? I can import to iBooks and they’re ok. This happened in iOS 10 for me and has persisted to 11. Small documents and large.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd be slightly concerned with image retention/burn in, if the images need to be up for a long time. Even LCDs can suffer from it, but not as badly as other types of display.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've not heard of that before, is it relatively new?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ve used the sleep timer for years to do that, don’t remember there ever being an option to not use Up Next.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Make an account in your country, log out, log in with it, download app, log out, log back in with your normal account.

Apple TV makes this a lot easier by storing multiple accounts on the box, but it’s not too awful on the phone either.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As above.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

I'd have bought Delicious Library ages ago if they made an iOS version. I want to be able to see if I own a thing while record hunting. It seems like a slam dunk and they haven't done it.

Discogs app? I was actually halfway through making a web app for Discogs using their API then the app came out and looked almost identical to what I was working on. I’ll put it down to coincidence rather than them finding it through API access, but it made me laugh.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just tried it and found a bunch of deleted messages for my %age (35). Curious as to what the spammers are already doing to try ruin things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

At worst you could just install the Outlook app and separate it out from the regular mail app.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I presumed you were using mail.app and had that linked to all your outlook accounts. I don’t love the outlook app so I just use it for work emails (which I don’t need to check super often on my phone).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only thing I dislike about dark themes, is on most any link still remains blue and the lack of contrast sucks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MetroPCS tags calls as ‘Scam Likely’, but still pipes them through. When I first enabled it, most of the calls I got were tagged with it but it’s become less and less over time. The importance of keeping super up to date bad call lists.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s gonna be dependent on the house wiring. I get about 25mbit here using them, which is great if you want a stable connection where you had nothing before. My WiFi beats it hands down, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It kills me that Nissan are only just adding CarPlay into this years models (for the Rogue at least). We’re inheriting my mother in laws one that’s only a year or two old and it feels like most other brands would’ve had CarPlay at that age.

I think they have some system built in at least, but still.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ojjeorago posted:

Twitter apps aren't a thing anymore, just use Twitter.

People actually use the website? Gross.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weedle posted:

What’s the best RSS reader for iPhone that also has a web interface?

I use Feedly and I'm almost positive that it has a web interface too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My OneNote account hasn’t synced for months with no explanation why. I hate it.