Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

quote:

The telephone company is controlled by creatures from outer space. The Congressional Wives have taken over the Pentagon. Evil geniuses are building Orbital Mind Control Lasers... aimed at YOU!

Illuminati is a tense but tongue-in-cheek game about taking over the world - not by guns and missiles, but by stealth and guile. Each player becomes one of the Illuminati, the "secret masters" who are behind everything! Build your power and wealth, taking control of groups like the FBI, the Federal Reserve, the Nuclear Power Companies, the Orbital Mind Control Lasers, the Semiconscious Liberation Army, the Post Office... yes, even the Post Office is part of the conspiracy!

No ploy is too devious, no stratagem too low, as you scheme your way to world power. The outcome is never certain until the final double-cross!

:mason:How the game works::mason:

We're going to be playing a slightly modified version of this. You can either read the rules in the link, or my truncated version of them further down the OP.

The main difference will be how rather than having one player control each Illuminati, the "main" groups will act as factions. Until the game starts, this thread will act as a place to organize, communicate, and bicker over which main group players will be agents of. Like the vanilla game, the identities of these groups will remain a mystery until the game actually begins.

The game's objective is to control a certain number of groups. In a four-player game, that number is 12. However, every main group has their own agenda they can fulfill to win- the Bavarian Illuminati needs to leverage a certain amount of power, the Servants of Cthulhu need to destroy a certain number of groups, the UFOs are a fuckin' mystery, et cetera.

The game plays out in turns. Each turn, a main group can perform two actions. There are three types of actions: an attack, a money transfer, and moving a group. The specific rules for each action can be found in the rulebook. A quick summary-

Moving groups: self explanatory. Just make sure all your poo poo fits together after the move.

Transferring money: also pretty self explanatory. You can move money one group at a time, unless you've got a special ability that says otherwise.

Attacking: Attacking is a little more multi-faceted. First off, a group can be aided in an attack by any other group with a slash in its power stat. The second number is the group's assist power. Money can be spent to augment attack power. It can also be spent by other players to gently caress with the attack one way or the other. The way attacking actually works is as follows-

A player is attempting to control Group B by attacking it with Group A. Group A has a Power of 4, and Group B has a Resistance of 2. To determine the difficulty of the attack, you subtract the defender's resistance from the attacker's power, leaving you with 2 as the number the player must roll at or below to take control of Group B.

In conclusion, this is a pretty brief overview of the rules. If you want your faction to do well, I suggest you get to know them. Here they are again if you need them.

Pre-Game:
Chat here and figure out your factions. Until it's revealed what they are, I'm sorting them by emoticons. Leadership/decision-making will be determined at the group's discretion. We'll approach kick-off as soon as we've got a decent number of participants.

:tinfoil: Team Tinfoil :tinfoil:
Fellis, Kazvall

:awesomelon: Super Secret Cyborg Society :awesomelon:
WORST FORUMS GUY

:silent: The Silent Majority :silent:

:mil101: The Military Impdustrial Complex :mil101:

Schnedwob fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress you

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can haz leadership of the cyborgs

Soral
May 30, 2009

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

i can haz leadership of the cyborgs

very well

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
You meant to post in the other forum

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Thug Lessons posted:

You meant to post in the other forum

It's called Impluminati so I highly doubt that.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i like that in the Illuminati board game thing you are allowed to cheat as long as you don't get caught also gnomes of zurich lol

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

do people on this forum actually read poo poo that long

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Swelter Discharge posted:

do people on this forum actually read poo poo that long

sometimes

not this time

i made it almost half though, it's like a board game with a twist but i don't know what the twist is?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Team Tinfoil here. Illuminati is pretty sweet although most of my experience is with the new world order tcg, they are pretty much the same.

Also want those UFOs

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the only illuminati im a part of is the one to destroy the goon archage guild, op

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Minrad posted:

the only illuminati im a part of is the one to destroy the goon archage guild, op

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

No thanks.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Why so much hate imps. Boardgames are the great grandfather to our modern games. They inspire us to use our imagination. Like what if furries took an entire state in america? What if communism ran rampant in south Dakota? These are important questions only we can answer.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Updated the groups.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i would rather play, gah what's it called, with friend computer and troubleshooters

paranoia

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 30, 2014

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
i'm with you op, lets play a fuckin boardgame

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Fellis posted:

i'm with you op, lets play a fuckin boardgame

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
used to play this in college and cheat constantly. Not sure how it's gonna work on a forum

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

used to play this in college and cheat constantly. Not sure how it's gonna work on a forum

i imagine the focus will be less on cheating and more on harassment of other factions (both in and out of game) as well as ~espionage~ to try and stay a step ahead of the competition

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

How will forming strategies as a group work when we can all see what we're all saying? I'm sure as hell not using irc

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

How will forming strategies as a group work when we can all see what we're all saying? I'm sure as hell not using irc

I'll make the website

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Put me on team tinfoil with my boy Fellis.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

lmao at this noob who doesn't know how to use steam chat

Kazvall posted:

Put me on team tinfoil with my boy Fellis.

:hfive:

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Updated the factions. It's gonna be a toss 'em up between Fellis and that man.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm gonna make steam groups for each faction as soon as said factions are decided. That way the group members can communicate more easily and I can put out "hey rear end in a top hat, it's your turn" announcements if need be

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schnedwob posted:

Updated the factions. It's gonna be a toss 'em up between Fellis and that man.

I'm gonna make steam groups for each faction as soon as said factions are decided. That way the group members can communicate more easily and I can put out "hey rear end in a top hat, it's your turn" announcements if need be

That's a good idea

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i cast a spell

it s not reading this thread lvl 5

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i will play this bad game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
actually i just read the rules and decided it would be too much of a pain to play pbp

no thanks

• Locked thread