Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/11123336/Meet-Amelia-the-computer-thats-after-your-job.html

quote:

Given the premise of IPsoft's artificial intelligence system, it seems logical that the ultimate measure of Amelia's success would be passing the Turing Test – which sets out to see whether humans can discern whether they are interacting with a human or a machine.

Earlier this year, a chatbot named Eugene Goostman became the first machine to pass the Turing Test by convincingly imitating a 13-year-old boy. In a five-minute keyboard conversation with a panel of human judges, Eugene managed to convince 33 per cent that it was human.

lol

lol

quote:

"Amelia is that Mensa kid, who personifies a major breakthrough in cognitive technologies."

LOL

quote:

"I am convinced that in the next decade you’ll pass someone in the corridor and not be able to discern if it’s a human or an android."

for fucks sake what sort of credulous idiot buys this garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

gently caress bots first

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
will she be my gf y/n

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fib posted:

will she be my gf y/n

Yes, OP.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Fib posted:

will she be my gf y/n

a robot is perfectly logical and rational, so no

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
but thirteen year old boys aren't people??

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

gently caress bots first

brb founding a political party

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gnrk posted:

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

gnrk posted:

MYSANDRY

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
didn't apple already do this since ios 5

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
remember the smarter child AIM bot? lol

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

only 90s kids

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

lol anyone who cites that turing test result is a goddamn moron

33%, you mean one person of three

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Blackula69 posted:

lol anyone who cites that turing test result is a goddamn moron

33%, you mean one person of three

i remember my dad telling me when eliza first came out in the 70's, they set it up on the terminals at work and universities and it worked on just about everyone, but it would always end in the person having fit of rage because the modified eliza that threw insults was the more popular one

they just assumed it was a real person communicating to them over the network

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

and who might be behind this technological wonder of the world??

oh...

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

my mum is in mensa, op

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

ugh

why do people do this

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

infinite possibilities for expression and you choose to create a virtual nordic waifu

i have more respect for the bonzi buddy designer

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

elder scrolls 6 looking good

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
If you just did an avatar interface for Siri it would probably work better and continue to work better as Apple improve it with little effort on your part

But then I guess you couldn't get news articles about how look out this app will replace ur job

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

fun fact: amelia means "no limbs"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

read the title as vaporwave, 0/5 very disappointed :gas:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkdibA-8k6E

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Werthog 95 posted:

ugh

why do people do this

people prefer talking to a person instead of an animated monkey? she's conservatively made up and proportioned like a real human, I don't see the problem.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
mensa is for nerds

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Blackula69 posted:

mensa is for nerds

hey what are insufferable assholes supposed to do now that asperger's was omitted from the DSM-VI?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
are we really that far up now? huh

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
o no its just V

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

newreply.php posted:

hey what are insufferable assholes supposed to do now that asperger's was omitted from the DSM-VI?

:justpost:

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

people are just better at acting like computers these days

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

i remember my dad telling me when eliza first came out in the 70's, they set it up on the terminals at work and universities and it worked on just about everyone, but it would always end in the person having fit of rage because the modified eliza that threw insults was the more popular one

they just assumed it was a real person communicating to them over the network

yeah, ELIZA worked just fine because people had no experience with anything like it. because they had no knowledge of any kind of machine that could hold a conversation, they had to assume they were talking to a person, even if the person seemed bizarre and antisocial. consider the people who ran screaming out of the theaters in the 1890s when they were first shown films of a train bearing down on the camera. no mental model to compare it to other than "this is a real train and it's going to hit me"

now that people have some experience with things like ELIZA it's easy for anyone to pick them out. the current state of the art is better at fooling humans, but it's almost certain that we'll look back in ten years and go "lol wow that was bad how did we fool anyone"

see also: the perceived photorealism of 3d animated movies. remember how amazing toy story looked in 1995? go and watch it again

humans are really really good at pattern recognition. this is why turing tests are stupid

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Eliza is good because it doesn't really do any talking, it just lets the person talk and gives the standard "keep talking" social cues. if you tried to have an actual conversation you'd quickly get frustrated but it turns out most people just like to talk as long as someone is listening.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

The Management posted:

Eliza is good because it doesn't really do any talking, it just lets the person talk and gives the standard "keep talking" social cues. if you tried to have an actual conversation you'd quickly get frustrated but it turns out most people just like to talk as long as someone is listening.

this is why when people talk to me, they just spill out all the problems they're having in their life, and thank me for listening. i don't talk back that much but i'm really patient compared to most people. so i'm basically a real life eliza.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

this is why when people talk to me, they just spill out all the problems they're having in their life, and thank me for listening. i don't talk back that much but i'm really patient compared to most people. so i'm basically a real life eliza.
                /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sham bam bamina! posted:

/

:allears:

• Locked thread