Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Wormskull posted:

"Managing your health packs" is what makes Quake the FPS with the least amount of camping.
I was pretty clear that it's not a hard rule. Some games do it well.

Some don't.

Point being, at least devs no longer feel like they have to shoehorn it in, and can just say 'gently caress it, we'll have health regen,' which is harder to screw up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

health regen might be harder to screw up, but it makes a lot of the games feel very similar, to me. i think it's okay if some games have health regen, but when nearly all shooters have it then it's bad.

Chelovek-Govno
Aug 11, 2014

Zamorozhenaia Zhopa

conceitedguy posted:

Are you being ironic or are you stupid as poo poo? Who knows!

I know. ;)

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
zombies
steampunk/tesla
the capacity to lose a game, nobody likes to lose

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

piss easy games, at least give me a challenge dammit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ForeverSmug posted:

women

cho aniki did it right

half of cho aniki's cast is women who happen to have dicks, don't discriminate please

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

all medkits should be bowls of dogfood or turkey dinners

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Silver Striker posted:

health regen might be harder to screw up, but it makes a lot of the games feel very similar, to me. i think it's okay if some games have health regen, but when nearly all shooters have it then it's bad.
Nearly all shooters are terrible though, and not just because they have health regen.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

AE-35 Unit posted:

all medkits should be bowls of dogfood or turkey dinners
agree

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

AE-35 Unit posted:

all medkits should be bowls of dogfoodcow pies or turkey dinnersmoon pies

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Health regen literally exists so you can crouch behind chest high walls until you are back to full health.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
the best solution is the Halo one

static health blocks, the current not-entirely-depleted block can regenerate

keeps people mobile to pick up health, also rewards strategic retreat and catching your breath behind an obstacle

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Omally posted:

the capacity to lose a game, nobody likes to lose

:siren: Gaming Babby Alert :siren:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
games that are piss easy but then become really hard on hard mode just because the enemies now take way more damage to die

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
boss fights you have to lose in order to advance the plot, but it isn't obvious that you can't win

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
boss fights you have to lose in order to advance the plot, but it looks like one of those situations where if you beat them anyways you get sick loot

but its not

Dec 26, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

the best solution is the Halo one

static health blocks, the current not-entirely-depleted block can regenerate

keeps people mobile to pick up health, also rewards strategic retreat and catching your breath behind an obstacle

the original halo one (you have a regenerating bar and a not-regenerating bar) was better

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Chomp8645 posted:

I like how you think that using the contents of a box to magically heal yourself is ridiculous, but magically healing by hiding behind a box is not.

Freaking DESTROYED by Logic.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

the op, in multiplayer games

sorry if that own hurt too bad but u will jsut have 2 get over it

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Fifty different guns that are all an assault rifle with a few more/less bullets or some dumb poo poo like that.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

BlueDestiny posted:

Fifty different guns that are all an assault rifle with a few more/less bullets or some dumb poo poo like that.

This, FPS games need more wackier weapons like plasma rifles, sawblade launchers, and shotguns with more than two barrels.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
lovely magic systems where you have fire spell, ice spell, lightning spell. Yeah um actually I want some thought and creativity in magic spells.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Buck Turgidson posted:

lovely magic systems where you have fire spell, ice spell, lightning spell. Yeah um actually I want some thought and creativity in magic spells.

This.

Dec 26, 2012

BlueDestiny posted:

this in fast-paced arcadey games for sure. i love my slightly differentiated guns in stalker though

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Loading screens that don't get poo poo loaded while the game is in the background (god dammit, Wasteland 2)

Also cave levels

Also games that start with a slow fade in and a string chord.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
shotguns that require you to be within spitting range of an enemy to do good damage

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
RTS mouse controls in games where you control a single unit. KB/M is a way better fit since it lets you move and aim independently.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

El Wombato posted:

RTS mouse controls in games where you control a single unit. KB/M is a way better fit since it lets you move and aim independently.

This. Rts controls are insanely queer

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Concordat posted:

You're dumb.

it sucked dick

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
its exactly the same as scrolling through the alphabet to enter your hi score name in a shmup or something.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

its exactly the same as scrolling through the alphabet to enter your hi score name in a shmup or something.

It's a victory lap through the alphabet

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ForeverSmug posted:

women

cho aniki did it right
a woman called benten is a protagonist in that you poser

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
Long rear end tutorials.

No longer than 5 minutes if skippable, 1 minute if mandatory. Jesus gently caress just let me play the game, you don't have to explain to me how WSAD works.

How the Christ did someone not say this already.

Also related: taking too long to unlock the core mechanics of the game that make it fun and/or unique. gently caress you FFXIII.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

quote:

Health packs

Any game that lets you carry around 500 pounds of high grade military arms and ammunition but you can't bring the health packs with you to use later, you have to consume them RIGHT loving NOW

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

I.N.R.I posted:

Except it was faster and more precise because you could just point in the direction of the letter you want instead of scrolling through the entire alphabet to it? At maximum you would have to point at one letter you didn't want to get the spiral to move. Whereas with the thing you're talking about the maximum is 13 or more if there's numbers and symbols.

At least that's how it works with a gamepad. Which is why I prefaced the statement with console game.

OkieMurse posted:

Long rear end tutorials.

No longer than 5 minutes if skippable, 1 minute if mandatory. Jesus gently caress just let me play the game, you don't have to explain to me how WSAD works.

The best games have you play a tutorial without you even realizing it. Like the first five seconds of Super Mario Bros.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 3, 2014

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

quakster posted:

a woman called benten is a protagonist in that you poser

Only in the first one idiot before the brothers took over

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Psychic-alarm hive mind AI

Motherfucker I killed you silently why are there 20 dudes swarming out of everywhere to kill me.

Also in this vein: you caught me stealing your poo poo in your house so I shanked you why does every guard in 20 miles know about it

Don't go the other direction too far and make guards not react when the dude they were just chatting with for an hour gets his brains splattered just because I have a suppressor on my weapon.

OkieMurse fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 3, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

They need to stop putting enemies in games. Uncharted and The Last of Us really triggered my cognitive dissonance, and they would be much better games, perhaps even art, if they played more like a David Cage experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

Concordat posted:

The best games have you play a tutorial without you even realizing it. Like the first five seconds of Super Mario Bros.

As long as its not much longer than that. Some devs think they're clever "hiding" their long-rear end tutorial. They're not.

• Locked thread