Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

gently caress king dick I want to read more about Stefan that kept fighting after his spine got torn out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gschmidl posted:

"Those who would tell you about social distancing are the enemies of truth," Richard said. "They are filled with fear, and fear is the antithesis of logic. No-one who is fearful can achieve moral clarity, and only those with full moral clarity will be immune to the Covid."

He gripped the sword tighter as he saw the blank stares of the others. The words "SUPERBLUE TOOTHPASTE", woven into the hilt, pressed into his palm.

Dick is absolutely the sort of person who would make a social media post about how he refuses to live in fear as he continues to go out in public all the time anyways.
Magic Plot Armor will make him immune, and everyone he infects will have deserved it according to his moral clarity, since their fear is what made them sick.

Meanwhile, Nathan and Nicci and the rest of the non-idiot characters have a nice night in playing Mario Kart or something.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

the_steve posted:

Meanwhile, Nathan and Nicci and the rest of the non-idiot characters have a nice night in playing Mario Kart or something.

just realized how great the books would have been if they'd been written from the perspective of everyone else but the richard crew as they run around trying to fix everything he's loving up

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

kalvanoo posted:

just realized how great the books would have been if they'd been written from the perspective of everyone else but the richard crew as they run around trying to fix everything he's loving up

It would be an amazing premise. Some fantasy version of The Office where it's the supporting cast doing everything they can to keep the idiot Chosen One alive because all of reality will end if he dies, and since he's a Main Character, he of course has zero survival instincts.
Contrast clips from the Main Character's POV where it looks like a bog standard fantasy epic with the behind the scenes bit where the Wise Mentor character is talking to the camera about negotiating with the local dragon to take a dive in the fight.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

kalvanoo posted:

There are a couple of Wheel of Time books that are pretty much just like that. The Dragon Reborn is basically the rest of the cast following in Rand's wake and trying to clean up the messes he leaves behind.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

jng2058 posted:

There are a couple of Wheel of Time books that are pretty much just like that. The Dragon Reborn is basically the rest of the cast following in Rand's wake and trying to clean up the messes he leaves behind.

So you're saying it's all but confirmed that Goodkind will mine that vein eventually?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

wizzardstaff posted:

So you're saying it's all but confirmed that Goodkind will mine that vein eventually?

That implies that Richard leaves messes in his wake, and not vast sweeping improvements.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
While it is not an update, one of my many side hustles is audio editor for the Riceball Network of podcasts. If you are a weeb, I took over the whole thing for April Fool's day and those episodes are now live. Please learn about the strangest Tenchi Muyo spinoff and probably Tim Curry's hammiest role ever. (And then if you like these episodes, try the regular shows.)

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

How weeby we talking? You got me interested with Tim Curry you monster

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Man I really like how Nicci is like Yo take Cara DOWNTOWN

Nicci owns, Cara owns, Zedd owns

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

A large part of why I stopped reading these books after chimes was Zedd spends most of that novel either ‘dead’ or turned into an animal. It’s like...Goodkind can’t even give us those few moments we enjoy. His instincts are all wrong.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Gameko posted:

A large part of why I stopped reading these books after chimes was Zedd spends most of that novel either ‘dead’ or turned into an animal. It’s like...Goodkind can’t even give us those few moments we enjoy. His instincts are all wrong.

It gets far worse later as Goodkind swerves into "I also didn't watch Game of Thrones or Walking Dead, ever" territory.

Spoiler for post-main-series books: Zedd gets killed off. Ditto Cara's Husband. Why? Shock value.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 31, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Stravag posted:

How weeby we talking? You got me interested with Tim Curry you monster

He's the scenery-chewing villain in every episode of a US developed Power Rangers clone.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gschmidl posted:

It gets far worse later as Goodkind swerves into "I also didn't watch Game of Thrones or Walking Dead, ever" territory.

Spoiler for post-main-series books: Zedd gets killed off. Ditto Cara's Husband. Why? Shock value.

Doesn't he end up killing Cara off towards the end too?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the_steve posted:

Doesn't he end up killing Cara off towards the end too?

I thought so but didn't find anything corroborating it as everyone stops caring.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

END ME SCOOB posted:

He's the scenery-chewing villain in every episode of a US developed Power Rangers clone.

Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
You are correct.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Spanish Matlock posted:

gently caress, I loved that show when it was on. Even had the action figures and the transforming weapon thing that could go from sword/shield to longsword, to axe and so on.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Spanish Matlock posted:

The theme song was choice. No generation 1 power rangers song, but...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
100% serious post: hey did you like SSSS? Watch the recent anime sequel that legitimately folds in some of the SSSS stuff from our localization because Gridman was dry as poo poo.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1249427095421321219?s=19

Presented without comment

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Here's a bit of another terrible book:

https://twitter.com/TheEnergeiaBoy/status/1250164806327455746

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There's a line I draw and Molyneux is definitely not on the Goodkind side of it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah you'd have to begin legit paying me to start reading overt alt-right insanity.

I am entirely willing to accept these payments, however, as I am not a proud person and everyone needs some fuckin' scratch right now

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I was just on Goodreads to lament WFR's rating and stumbled across this gem of a review.

quote:

Originality is a bit of a gray area. It's hard to find what exactly constitutes paying homage versus stealing. Terry Goodkind has left that gray area, sprinted 6 miles down the road, dug up the bodies of fantasy authors who came before him, and took the coins from their pockets.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

gschmidl posted:

I was just on Goodreads to lament WFR's rating and stumbled across this gem of a review.

Where's the lie though?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the_steve posted:

Where's the lie though?

Nowhere, I just liked the turn of phrase.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gschmidl posted:

Nowhere, I just liked the turn of phrase.

Eh, it's just a poor riff off of a quote by James Nicoll.

quote:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Nicoll

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Proteus Jones posted:

Eh, it's just a poor riff off of a quote by James Nicoll.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Nicoll

That makes it even better.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Remember Princess Violet from the first book? I was just looking up characters from Atlas Shrugged (don't ask), and found...

quote:

Millie Bush was "a mean, ugly little eight-year-old" girl voted to receive gold braces to straighten her teeth by the Marxist "family" committee who determined how pay was allocated at The Twentieth Century Motor Company. Her teeth are later knocked out by a man denied an allowance by the committee to purchase the things he valued.

Even the worst thing in that book is stolen.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
In the event things die by morning, I'll find _somewhere_ to post the last chunks of this, and I can be found on Twitter.

Or maybe this madness all blows over and this is moot. Who knows! 2020 is hell.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"moot" sure is a choice of words

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

To think, it would be an abusive misogynist egomaniac that would be the end of this grand internet empire.

The Truth on the swordhilt was the forums this whole time. The Internet indeed makes you stupid.

Thank you, Scoob.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Data Graham posted:

"moot" sure is a choice of words

it's apropos if taxman gets the boot but the forums keep trucking

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One of the admins offered to buy SA? That would be good. Lowtax hasn't been stable for a long time.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Not that I've heard but we can dream

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

One of the admins offered to buy SA? That would be good. Lowtax hasn't been stable for a long time.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS did but who knows how serious.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What would be the cash outlay for this crumbling backwoods piece of digital realestate anyways?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

PJOmega posted:

What would be the cash outlay for this crumbling backwoods piece of digital realestate anyways?

I guarantee our brilliant leader would aim for 6 figures because "I made 10k monthly on patreon at one point"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

I guarantee our brilliant leader would aim for 6 figures because "I made 10k monthly on patreon at one point"

Honestly, if this was 10 figures in the black over a year long period I'd be amazed. But fair point.