Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

That, and having magic seems to only be lethal to men, since they're naturally so much more powerful in the gift.
Plus, males born with wizard powers are hella-rare at this point, Gifted Women seem to be much more common.

With that in mind, they probably aren't as urgent to recruit more Sisters, so a girl could probably say No without having to fear any real fallout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

the_steve posted:

a girl could probably say No without having to fear any real fallout.

You really haven't read this series!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Masonity posted:

daaaamn

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Masonity posted:

:vince:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Masonity posted:

:boom:

The only worthwhile thing to come out of that wretched book.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the rundown on the next book. I remember reading WFR in uni and thinking it was okay for standard genre fantasy stuff. Then I very vaguely remember reading the second book and possibly the third, but it all became a big blur, probably due to the fact that nothing was happening. I stopped reading them until I got another glimpse a few years later, when a housemate moving overseas left behind some random junk, including book #4. I remember this book's contrived situations just being hilariously bad.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.
Watching the show: My reaction as it happens, without context. Because I think it's funnier that way. :v:

Episode 10: Sacrifice

:siren: Just... spoilers. All of the spoilers.

So I already figured out that Kahlan wasn't the Mother Confessor because she met with another confessor who didn’t seem to care what Kahlan had to say. But I'm still surprised at the introduction of the show's Mother Confessor. The real question is- are they going to kill her now or at the end of the episode? :gibs:

I'm continually surprised by the continuity changes that upset me. Why do I care that Kahlan isn't the Mother Confessor? :shrug:

Hey, Zedd grew that chick's hand back! Good. Someone should be useful.

Kahlan in a Mord-Sith outfit is kind of really sexy. Holy poo poo. :hawaaaafap:

Hey! Wouldya look at that, Kahlan pretending to be a Mord-Sith to get to the prison warden is a really clever plan and Richard isn't being a little bitch about Kahlan mistreating him for the part! Good job. Double points for the plan working. :golfclap:

OH poo poo! Baby boy confessor! Are they going to kill a baby? On TV? :ohdear:

Guess not. Pussies.

Oh snap! The big MC just used her power on Zedd. So much for First Wizards having a defense against that. Now I know dis bitch is gonna die. More so than just killing her to give her title to Kahlan, I mean. :byewhore:

:question: My fiancé just asked why they don't just confess the baby so it doesn't turn evil. That's a good question!

No answer will be given. Confessors cannot be confessed. Huh. Was that in the book?

I guess the plan is now to save the baby. It's almost the the show creators think killing babies is evil, or something. Didn't anyone tell them that boy confessors always grow up to be super rapists? Why aren't our heroes on the baby-killing bandwagon? :bandwagon:

NASS JUST GOT TAKEN BY KAHLAN. WUT.

And now he's dead. What a waste. :doh:

And now so is the old MC and they voted Kahlan to be the new MC! What a twist! Totally didn't see that coming coming guys!

Baby still alive, worst heroes ever.
:goonsay:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Temple of the Winds is the novel where we ride the crazy train and cut the brakes, folks. It uses a plot I tend to be fond of seeing in fantasy settings, and then adds some reeeeeeal terrible trappings.

But first, let's discuss Cara.

As we've seen, the other Mord-Sith took to the proclamation of "You're free, deal with it" pretty well. Sure, a few of them felt that they owed Richard Rahl a debt, becoming his elite bodyguards, but most of them decided to be themselves in the process, starting a life that didn't begin and end with whatever that week's Rahl commanded. They took lovers, found hobbies, or in some cases, just went "I'm loving done here" and left.

Cara, on the other hand, decided to think her next move through when she was granted freedom. After all, directly after Richard went "you're free, deal with it", his dead dad came back and moved back into the People's Palace. Cara was the head honcho in deciding to defend the place in Richard's name, helping to rally some of her sisters, any loyal guardsmen, and embarking on a suicide-charge to let the Lords Rahl settle their differences once and for all without interruption.

Cara, you see, is not going to let Richard Rahl get his fool rear end killed if she can help it. And as far as she can see, he is totally going to die without protection, because he is poo poo-stupid in the ways of magic, politics, and pretty much everything outside of "finding someone in the woods". The big problem is that this flies entirely opposite his claim that he's going to make sure his Mord-Sith all die "of old age in a bed somewhere".

In another world, Temple of the Winds is a novel that would use Cara as a central figure to explore that horrible paradox, because the story structure of the book lends itself well to the toll that kind of catch-22 would take on Cara and Richard both. Hell, there are still going to be times that it works out that way in the actual text. But that's not the story of Temple of the Winds.

We'll get there. I told you that story before I began this one because the novel begins with Cara doing what Cara does best.

quote:

“Let me kill him,” Cara said, her boot strikes sounding like rawhide mallets hammering the polished marble floor.

The supple leather boots Kahlan wore beneath her elegant, white Confessor’s dress whispered against the cold stone as he tried to keep pace without letting her legs break into a run. “No.”

Cara exhibited no response, keeping her blue eyes ahead to the wide corridor stretching into the distance. A dozen leather- and chain-mail-clad D’Haran soldiers, their unadorned swords sheathed, or crescent-bladed battle-axes hooked on belt hangers, crossed at an intersection just ahead. Though their weapons weren’t drawn, every wooden hilt was gripped in a ready fist as vigilant eyes scrutinized the shadows among the doorways and columns to each side. Their hasty bows toward Kahlan only briefly interrupted their attention to their task.

“We can’t just kill him,” Kahlan explained. “We need answers.”

An eyebrow lifted over one icy blue eye. “Oh, I didn’t say he wouldn’t give us answers before he dies. He will answer any question you have when I’m finished with him.” A mirthless smile ghosted across her flawless face. “That is the job of a Mord-Sith: getting people to answer questions”- she paused as the smile returned to widen with professional satisfaction- ”before they die.”
Kahlan heaved a sigh. “Cara, that’s no longer your job- your life. Your job now is to protect Richard.”

“That is why you should let me kill him. We should not take a risk by letting this man live.”

“No. We first have to find out what’s going on, and we’re not going to start out doing it the way you want.”

Cara’s smile, humourless as it was, had vanished again. “As you wish, Mother Confessor.”

You see, a man has walked into the palace, begun wandering randomly, and asked to see Lord Rahl. This is not a thing that should be able to happen.

quote:

“In here,” Kahlan said. “It’s shorter this way, and besides, I want to see what petitioners are waiting, in view of our strange visitor. He could even be a diversion to draw our attention away from someone else- the true threat.”

Cara’s brow twitched as if she had been slighted. “Why do you think I had Petitioners’ Hall sealed and ringed with guards?”

“You did it surreptitiously, I hope. There’s no need to frighten the wits out of innocent petitioners.”

“I told the officers not to frighten the people in there if they didn’t have to, but our first responsibility is to protect Lord Rahl.”

Kahlan nodded. She couldn’t argue with that.

Well, okay, that wasn't all he did. His request also set off a few alarm bells. Speaking of setting off alarm bells...

quote:

In the sudden silence that filled Petitioners’ Hall, Kahlan paused to acknowledge the gathered visitors. A young woman standing against the far wall watched as all those around her fell to one knee. She glanced in Kahlan’s direction, back to those kneeling, and then followed suit.

Kahlan’s brow tightened.

In the Midlands, the length of a woman’s hair denoted her power and standing. Matters of power, no matter how trivial they might seem on the surface, were taken seriously in the Midlands. Not even a queen’s hair was allowed to be as long as a Confessor’s, and no Confessor’s hair was as long as that of the Mother Confessor.

This woman had a thick mass of brown hair close to the length of Kahlan’s.

Kahlan knew nearly every person of high rank in the Midlands; it was her duty, and she took it seriously. A woman with hair that long was obviously a person of high standing, but Kahlan didn’t recognize her. There was likely to be no man or woman in the entire city, other than Kahlan, who would outrank the woman- if she was in fact from the Midlands.

“Rise, my children,” Kahlan said in formal response to the tops of the waiting, bowed heads.

Dresses and coats rustled as everyone began coming to their feet, most keeping their eyes to the floor, out of respect, or needless fear. The woman rose to her feet, twisting a simply made kerchief in her fingers, watching those around her. She turned her brown eyes to the floor, as most of the others were.

“Cara,” Kahlan whispered, “could that woman there, with the long hair, be from D’Hara?”

Cara had been watching her, too; she had learned some of the customs of the Midlands. Though Cara’s long blond hair was about the length of Kahlan’s, she was D’Haran. They didn’t live by the same customs. “Her nose is too ‘cute’ to be D’Haran.”

“I’m serious. Do you think she could be D’Haran?”

Cara studied the woman a moment longer. “I doubt it. D’Haran women don’t wear flower-print dresses, nor are the dresses they do wear of that cut. But clothes can be changed to fit the occasion, or to fit in with local people.”

The dress didn’t really fit the local dress of Aydindril, but it might not be so out of place in other, more remote, areas of the Midlands. Kahlan nodded and turned to a waiting captain, motioning him over. He leaned his head close as she spoke in a low tone. “There is a woman with long brown hair standing against the wall in the back, over my left shoulder. Do you see who I’m talking about?”

“The pretty one, in the blue kirtle?”

“Yes. Do you know why she’s here?”

“She said she wished to speak with Lord Rahl.”

Kahlan’s brow drew tighter. She noticed that Cara’s did, too. “What about?”

“She said that she’s looking for a man- Cy something- I didn’t recognize his name. She said he’s been missing since last autumn, and she was told that Lord Rahl would be able to help her.”

“Is that right,” Kahlan said. “And did she say what business she has with this missing man?”

The captain glanced to the woman and then brushed his sandy hair back from his forehead. “She said that she’s to marry him.”

Kahlan nodded. “It could be that she’s a dignitary, but if she is, I’m embarrassed to admit that I don’t know her name.”

The captain glanced at a tattered list with scribbles all over it. He turned the paper and scanned the other side until he found what he was looking for. “She said her name was Nadine. She gave no title.”

“Well, please see to it that Lady Nadine is taken to a private waiting room where she will be comfortable. Tell her that I will come speak with her and see if I can help. Have dinner brought to her, along with anything else she might require. Give her my apology and tell her that I have something of vital importance that I must attend to first, but I will come see her as soon as I am able, and that I wish to do what I can to help her.”

“I’ll see to it at once, Mother Confessor.”

“One other thing, captain.” Kahlan watched the woman twisting her kerchief. “Tell Lady Nadine that there is trouble about, what with the war with the Old World, and that for her own safety we must insist that she remain in the room until I can come to speak with her. Post a heavy guard outside the room. Place archers at a safe distance down the hall to either side of the door.

“If she comes out, insist that she must return to the room at once and wait. If you must, tell her that it is by my command. If she still tries to leave”- Kahlan looked into the captain’s waiting blue eyes- ”kill her.”

Now, I want to give praise to this opening chapter. Basically all I'm excising this time out is the recap segments, which leaves the rather tense premise that the two women are dealing with:

quote:

The young man, dressed in an outsized soldier’s uniform that looked to have been scrounged together from dissimilar sources, peered up at Kahlan, then over his shoulder at the man who had kicked him. He ducked his head of dishevelled dark hair and shielded it with a gangly arm, expecting a blow.

“That’s enough,” Kahlan said in a quietly authoritative tone. “Cara and I wish to speak with him. All of you wait outside, please.”

The soldiers balked, reluctant to lift a weapon from the young man cowering on the floor.

“You heard her,” Cara said. “Out.”

“But-” an officer began.

“You doubt that a Mord-Sith is capable of handling this one scrawny man? Now, go wait outside.”

Kahlan was surprised that Cara hadn’t raised her voice. Mord-Sith didn’t have to raise their voices to get people to follow their orders, but still it surprised her, considering Cara’s nervousness over the young man before them. The men began withdrawing, turning sideways to eye the intruder on the floor as they filed out the door. The knuckles of the officer’s fist around his sword hilt were white. As he backed out last, he gently closed the door with his other hand.

The young man looked up from under his arm to the two women standing three strides away. “Are you going to have me killed?”

Kahlan didn’t answer the question directly. “We have come to talk with you. I am Kahlan Amnell, the Mother Confessor-”

“Mother Confessor!” He straightened on his knees. A boyish grin swept onto his face. “Why, you’re beautiful! I never expected you to be so beautiful.” He put a hand to a knee and began to rise. Cara’s Agiel was instantly at the ready.

“Stay where you are.”

He froze, staring at the red Agiel before his face, and then lowered the knee back onto the fringe of the crimson carpet. Lamps on the fluted mahogany pilasters supporting shallow pediments over bookcases to each side of the room cast flickering light across his bony face. He was hardly more than a boy.

“Can I have my weapons back, please? I need my sword. If I can’t have that, then I’d like my knife, at least.”

Cara heaved an irritated sigh, but Kahlan spoke first. “You are in a very precarious position, young man. None of us is in the mood to be indulgent if this is some kind of prank.”

He nodded earnestly. “I understand. I’m not playing a game. I swear.”

“Then tell me what you said to the soldiers.”

His grin returned as he lifted a hand, gesturing casually toward the door. “Well, like I was telling those men when I was-”

Fists at her side, Kahlan advanced a stride. “I told you, this is no game! You’re only alive by my grace! I want to know what you’re doing here, and I want to know right now! Tell me what you said!”

The young man blinked. “I’m an assassin, sent by Emperor Jagang. I’m here to kill Richard Rahl. Can you direct me to him, please?”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
You know, Cara is about the only character who actually goes through character development and growth throughout the series.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I actually looked up her arc and I had forgotten some of her later escapades, but yeah, that just made me feel MORE justified in writing that part. Cara is hands-down one of the best-written characters in this entire world.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So a reason is going to be given why the Empire sent The Worst Assassin to kill Dick Roll, right?

...Right?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

So a reason is going to be given why the Empire sent The Worst Assassin to kill Dick Roll, right?

...Right?

It would be pretty hilarious if they sent him just as a kind of insult, like "We'd prefer it if you were dead, but we don't actually care enough to make it happen."

But knowing Goodkind, it's more likely that it'll just be some random bullshit magic that's supposed to protect the current Rahl from assassination or that the assassin is looking to switch sides.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
If I recollect correctly he's some kind of magic suicide bomber who's relying on Jagang's interpretation of Rickroll's character via the Sisters of the Dark to get cose to him - i.e. Jagang knows that Richard won't let something like this go by without looking into it personally, then the dude just explodes.

Or maybe I'm just making that up, I'm honestly not sure.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I remember something about jagang using his possession trick on his spy mid-interrogation and no-selling the magic pain dildo with it

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

quote:

“And if we don’t let you have your sword and knife back,” she asked, “then what?”

“Then things will get messy. Richard Rahl will only suffer greatly. That’s why Emperor Jagang sent me: to offer him the mercy of a quick death. The emperor is a man of compassion, and wishes to avoid any undue suffering; he is basically a man of peace, the dream walker, but also one of iron determination.

“I’m afraid I’ll have to be killing you, too, Mother Confessor: to spare you the suffering of what’s to come if you resist. I have to admit, though, that I don’t like the idea of killing such a beautiful woman.” The grin widened. “Rather a waste.”

Kahlan found his confidence grating. To hear him claim that the dream walker was compassionate turned her stomach. She knew better.

“What suffering?”

He spread his hands. “I am but a grain of sand. The emperor does not share his plans with me. I am but simply sent to do his bidding. His bidding is that you and Richard are to be eliminated. If you don’t let me kill him mercifully, then Richard will be destroyed. I’m told that it won’t be pleasant, so why don’t you just let me get it over with?”

And then it turns out he's a wizard, causing things to go to hell real fast. He blacks out all the lamps and overturns bookshelves to cover his movements. There's a scuffle in the darkness, and Kahlan trying to get to him to use her power, but everyone in the room save Cara has forgotten/never knew one thing:

quote:

But before she could leap for him, his curled fingers twitched up. With a contemptuous sneer, he thrust one hand toward Cara.

Kahlan expected Cara to be the one on the floor next. Instead, the young man crumpled with a cry. He tried to stand, but collapsed with a shriek, hugging himself as if he had been stabbed in the gut. The room went black again.

[...]

In the wavering glow from the lamp, Kahlan saw Cara squat down on the crimson carpet beside the man. He clutched his arms across his abdomen as he vomited blood. Her red leather outfit creaked as she rested her forearms on her knees. She was rolling her Agiel in her fingers, waiting. Once his retching had ceased, Cara snatched a fistful of his hair. Her long blond braid slid across the back of her broad shoulders as she leaned closer.

“That was a big mistake. A very big mistake,” she said with silky satisfaction. “You should never have tried to use your magic against a Mord-Sith. You had it right for a moment, but then you let me make you angry enough to use your magic. Who’s the fool now?”

“What’s... a... Mord-Sith?” he managed between gasps.

Now, let me just spell this out in case I was too subtle before: this novel is going to lean heavily on Cara and the Mord-Sith.

quote:

Cara flicked her blond braid back over her shoulder. “It was my intent to protect you and Lord Rahl. I have succeeded.”

“I told you to let me handle it.”

“Hesitation can be the end of you... or those you care about.” A haunted look passed across Cara’s face. Iron quickly repossessed her countenance. “I have learned never to hesitate.”

[...]

“You always claim not to know anything about magic, and yet now you command his? You can use his magic?”

Cara glanced down at the man groaning on the floor. “No. I can’t use it, like he uses it, but I can turn it against him-hurt him with his own magic.” Her brow twitched. “Sometimes, we feel a bit of it, but we don’t understand it the way Lord Rahl understands it, and so we can’t use it. Except to give them pain.”

Kahlan couldn’t reconcile such contradictions. “How?” She was struck by how much Cara’s emotionless expression was like a Confessor’s face, the face Kahlan’s mother had taught her, showing nothing of the inner feelings about what had to be done.

“Our minds are linked,” Cara explained, “through the magic, so I can see what he’s thinking when he is thinking of hurting me or fighting back, or disobeying my orders, because it contradicts my wishes. Since we are linked to their minds through their magic, our will to hurt them makes it happen.” She looked down at Marlin. He suddenly cried out anew in agony. “See?”

“I see. Now stop it. If he refuses to give us answers, then you can... do what it takes, but I won’t sanction doing anything that isn’t required to protect Richard.”

Kahlan looked up from Marlin’s torment to Cara’s cold blue eyes. She spoke before she thought. “Did you know Denna?”

“Everyone knew Denna.”

“And was she as good at... at torturing people as you?”

“Me?” Cara said with a laugh. “No one was as good at it as Denna. That’s why she was Darken Rahl’s favourite. I could hardly believe the things she could do to a man. Why, she could...” With a glance at the Agiel hanging at Kahlan’s neck- Denna’s Agiel- Cara suddenly caught the meaning behind Kahlan’s questions. “That was in the past. We were bonded to Darken Rahl. We did as we were commanded. We are bonded to Richard, now. We would never hurt him. We would die to keep anyone from hurting Lord Rahl.” Her tone lowered to a whisper. “Lord Rahl not only killed Denna, but he also forgave her for what she did to him.”

Kahlan nodded. “So he did. But I have not. Though I understand how she did as she was trained and commanded, and her spirit has been a comfort and an aid to both of us, and I appreciate the sacrifices she has since made on our behalf, in my heart I can’t forgive her for the horrifying things she did to the man I love.”

Cara studied Kahlan’s eyes a long moment. “I understand. If you ever hurt Lord Rahl, I would never forgive you, either. Nor would I ever grant you mercy.”

Kahlan held the woman’s gaze. “Likewise. It is said that, for a Mord-Sith, there is no worse death to be had than by the touch of a Confessor.”

A slow smile came to Cara’s lips. “So I have been told.”

“It’s fortunate we’re on the same side. As I’ve said, there are things I won’t, I can’t, forgive. I love Richard more than life itself.”

“Every Mord-Sith knows that the worst pain comes from one you love.”

“Richard need never fear that pain.”

Cara seemed to consider her words carefully. “Darken Rahl never had to fear that kind of pain; he never loved a woman. Lord Rahl does. I have noticed that where love is concerned, things sometimes have a way of changing.”

But here's part of what you need to know: Kahlan is kind of an rear end about this whole thing.

quote:

“Marlin, don’t mistake my distaste for torture as a lack of resolve. If you don’t start telling me what I want to know,” she whispered, “I’m going to go for a long walk and then to dinner and I’m going to leave you in here all alone with Cara. Crazy as she is, I’ll leave you alone with her. And then, when I come back, if you still think to hold out on me, I’m going to use my power on you, and you can’t even imagine how much worse that will be. Cara can’t even come close to what I can do; she can use your magic and your mind. I can destroy it. Is that what you want?”

Because that's what a whole lot of this comes down to (and I snipped it for space): Kahlan is telling herself that it was DENNA who was terrible, and not this entire order who now serves her husband. With DENNA dead, everything will be fine. But she still loathes them and their terrible work... even while she's content to let them do the deed so she doesn't have to.

There are going to be a lot of times during Temple of the Winds where I comment on what a stronger author could do with these story beats. Even so, the early chunk of this novel is actually drat solid. Liiiiiiike this:

quote:

“This just doesn’t make any sense. Jagang is far from stupid; there has to be more to it. He must have some plan to this. Something more than we’re seeing.”

Cara clasped her hands behind her back as she took a deep breath. She turned. “Marlin.” His head came up, his eyes at attention. “What was Jagang’s plan?”

“To have me kill Richard Rahl and the Mother Confessor.”

“What else?” Kahlan asked. “What more was there to his plan?”

His eyes flooded. “I don’t know. I swear. I told you as he ordered me. I was to get a soldier’s uniform and weapons so I would look like I belonged and could get close. I was to kill you both.”

Kahlan wiped a hand across her face. “We’re not asking the right questions.”

“I don’t know what else there could be. He has admitted the worst of it. He told us his goal. What more could there be?”

“I don’t know, but there’s something still itching at me.” Kahlan sighed in resignation. “Maybe Richard can reason this out. He is the Seeker of Truth, after all. He’ll figure out what it means. Richard will know the right questions to ask so that...”

Kahlan’s head suddenly came up, her eyes wide. She advanced a long stride toward the man on the floor.

“Marlin, did Jagang also tell you to announce yourself when you arrived?”

“Yes. Once inside the palace, I was to give my reason for being here.”

Kahlan stiffened. She snatched Cara’s arm and pulled her close while keeping her eyes on Marlin. “Maybe we shouldn’t tell Richard about this. It’s too dangerous.”

“I have Marlin’s power. He’s helpless.”

Kahlan’s gaze darted about, hardly hearing what Cara had said. “We have to put him somewhere safe. This room won’t do.” She put a thumbnail between her teeth.

Cara frowned. “This room is as safe as anywhere. He can’t get away. He’s safe in here.”

Kahlan took her thumb from her mouth as she stared at the man rocking on the floor.

“No. We have to find someplace safer. I think we’ve made a big mistake. I think we’re in a lot of trouble.”

If you're wondering why these posts got a lot bigger, it's because right now, I'm covering chapters 1:1 in these posts. This is the first time I've done this in ages.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Hey, I just had a thought...

In order to be free from the dreamwalker's power, you have to swear loyalty to Dick, right? But what about people Kahlan takes with her power? They aren't able to be loyal to anyone but Kahlan, not even in the stupid rules-lawyery way the SotD got around it.

Does that mean they are open to Jagang's influence? It wouldn't matter how loyal they are to Kahlan, because Jagang can make people do things against their will or even just spy through their eyes without them knowing.

I know it never came up in the books I read, but that would have been a really interesting twist.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's entirely possible. I don't think that ever comes up in any fashion. My response to that would be "it only works once" because after that you probably have her making long-term slaves take the oath.

And I don't think there are any more of those in the series.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Was there ever a point in time where it was noted that Jagang could easily just stop people swearing loyalty to dickface. When they got sick and missed a swearing time, just before they swoore, kidnapping them and holding them down so they can't perform the ritual, etc etc. THe ruleslawyery way round it seems like a really bad way to go when he can just take control of your brain any time he likes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

thespaceinvader posted:

Was there ever a point in time where it was noted that Jagang could easily just stop people swearing loyalty to dickface. When they got sick and missed a swearing time, just before they swoore, kidnapping them and holding them down so they can't perform the ritual, etc etc. THe ruleslawyery way round it seems like a really bad way to go when he can just take control of your brain any time he likes.

I don't think you have to do the ritual, it's just symbolic. As long as you admit in your heart that Richard is your lord and savior, you're golden.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

the_steve posted:

I don't think you have to do the ritual, it's just symbolic. As long as you admit in your heart that Richard is your lord and savior, you're golden.

Pretty much this. Kahlan, Zedd and Adie never spent hours bowed down chanting, yet their good.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

quote:

Her red leather outfit creaked as she rested her forearms on her knees.

At first it was that they only wore red when they were going to be training, because of the blood. Did that actually stop being a thing a some point, or did Goodkind forget?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If you have to ask, you're forgetting which author you're reading.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Gambor posted:

At first it was that they only wore red when they were going to be training, because of the blood. Did that actually stop being a thing a some point, or did Goodkind forget?

They normally wear red, they only wear other colors when training to show how broken their victim is, iirc.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Gambor posted:

He pointed out in the prologue that she was wearing the red specifically because she was going to be involved in interrogating this guy. It's not his bad.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

I hate Goodkind (and my younger self for liking the books) but come on. It's an act that has lost meaning and become rote ritual for a line of people who styled themselves as god kings. The obeisance ritual became the hour long bowing not because that is what was needed but because the Rahls let it become that. Hundreds (or thousands?) of years makes any ritual observation get weird, especially without context.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

There are going to be a lot of times during Temple of the Winds where I comment on what a stronger author could do with these story beats. Even so, the early chunk of this novel is actually drat solid. Liiiiiiike this:

I think this is the first time the book has actually made me want to know what happens next on its own merits. I like this little scene. Maybe it's because characters are acting smarter than usual?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think this is the first time the book has actually made me want to know what happens next on its own merits. I like this little scene. Maybe it's because characters are acting smarter than usual?

I know its been said a few times but the plot is not focusing on Dick Roll and instead on rational people like Cara who is someone who remembers what their own abilities and strengths are and uses them to actually resolve issues and advance the plot.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think it's because Rick Rahl isn't in the book yet.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mors Rattus posted:

I think it's because Rick Rahl isn't in the book yet.

That's likely the case. I think Cara is the only one who doesn't take a large penalty to all Competency checks whenever he's involved in a scene.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
A lot of the plots require the characters to do absurd things like leave the Sword of Truth behind or drop it in a market or forget to tell their best friend of 20 years a small fact that will destroy the world, so seeing them take proactive measures is refreshing.

That, and Goodkind is finally (in the fourth book) addressing some of the things from the climax of book one: what is it like for these people to rule a kingdom, what happened to the Mord-Sith, etc.? Did anyone else find it strange that he basically skipped over that entirely in book two and even in book three all he went with was "Richard threatens everyone." Where are the scenes of the humble hero getting used to his new big palace, or meeting his advisors, etc. that almost any other book would deal with.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

timeandtide posted:

A lot of the plots require the characters to do absurd things like leave the Sword of Truth behind or drop it in a market or forget to tell their best friend of 20 years a small fact that will destroy the world, so seeing them take proactive measures is refreshing.

That, and Goodkind is finally (in the fourth book) addressing some of the things from the climax of book one: what is it like for these people to rule a kingdom, what happened to the Mord-Sith, etc.? Did anyone else find it strange that he basically skipped over that entirely in book two and even in book three all he went with was "Richard threatens everyone." Where are the scenes of the humble hero getting used to his new big palace, or meeting his advisors, etc. that almost any other book would deal with.

P... Pff... Hahahahahahahahahahahahah what

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

GreyPowerVan posted:

P... Pff... Hahahahahahahahahahahahah what

It's a question of the supposed original premise, not of what actually comes through. Remember, Dick started out as your incredibly standard boilerplate fantasy protagonist. He was a simple woods guide who just wanted to live a quiet life, despite the heavy-handed secret his foster dad dumped on him. This still suggests itself when he throws his "magic ain't poo poo" tantrums and solves things with loving stupid contrivancesgood old fashioned common sense. Goodkind is just a really awful writer who has no idea what he's doing, apart from turning out his pap for many ducats.

Keep in mind that Dick Roll is not supposed to come off as an egomaniacal sociopath. He's just an upstanding common man thrust into the spotlight by circumstance.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 28, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

He definitely comes off as a prick.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

He definitely comes off as a prick.

That's Terry Goodkind writing what he knows :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, see, the ubermensch is a natural leader and will need no time to acclimate when called upon to become the unstoppable God-Emperor of all the land.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

SatansOnion posted:

That's Terry Goodkind writing what he knows :v:

Actually we've already established the one and only thing Goodkind can write fairly well is female dominatrix torture/murderers so

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Finally finished Chainfire last night. All I have left is Phantom and Confessor, and I'm free from Goodkind. Sweet freedom.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

the_steve posted:

Finally finished Chainfire last night. All I have left is Phantom and Confessor, and I'm free from Goodkind. Sweet freedom.

Nope, there's at least four more books. One is digital only, the other three are 'the continuing adventures of R&K.'

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheCenturion posted:

Nope, there's at least four more books. One is digital only, the other three are 'the continuing adventures of R&K.'

Lalala, I can't hear you. Confessor is the end of it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

the_steve posted:

Lalala, I can't hear you. Confessor is the end of it for me.

Don't forget to read "Rule of Nine" or whatever!!