Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Oh, this is going to be wonderful. I got through all but the last two books (before the next one came out) and this is just bad. I can't wait to see how this goes!

I am getting vague remembrances of what happens in this, and I am thinking of maybe reading along with you. I have them all right here on my bookshelf and could easily do it, but I think I like my sanity too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

MissKeewi posted:

I have confessions to make:

1) I read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged by randomly choosing a book at a bookstore and thought I like Objectivism,which lead to reading the Sword of Truth Series. I actually fairly enjoyed most of the series, but don't ascribe to Objectivism anymore.

2) I actually enjoyed the "lovely" BDSM in this Book. Sorry. Oh well.

BUT, I am sure I missed a ton of stupid libertarian stuff while reading it, so I'm excited to see your critical analysis.

1. Don't worry! I've read Atlas Shrugged twice and the Fountainhead once. I liked the SoT books as well! Then, I realized how stupid it all was (i.e. graduated high school), and haven't touched it since.

2. I actually don't remember anything but vague thoughts about the BDSM parts. I think I mostly skimmed that part to get back to the "good" stuff.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

PleasingFungus posted:

why not just mash up blueberry pie

He already had the tasteless mash, so why not just change the flavor to whatever the kid wants

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

SavageMessiah posted:

I read these books REALLY uncritically but this got to even me. I remember basically shouting at the characters to just open their goddamn mouths and say something useful.

I have this problem with a lot of forms of media. Not talking about something is a great way to add drama, but when it starts being the only way you know to create drama and you use it every time, you are a bad writer.

There is so much from these books that I don't remember, but it is great when somebody says something and it triggers me. I can't wait to get to those later books after we finish this one.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I love the Shota part and the Princess Violet part. They just show what type of author Goodkind is.

I barely remember anything that is going to happen until we start getting close to it, but when I do remember it is horriblewonderful.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

TheCenturion posted:

Nah, it just feels like it.

Of course, they figure very heavily in the rest of the series, when they become Dominatrixes with magical Pain Dildos FOR JUSTICE!
Also, when they all decide to keep up with their calling, in order to help Richard, he never actually says 'Oh, and you know that training system you have? The one where you kidnap beautiful young girls, torture the poo poo out of them till they hit puberty, magical pain dildo rape their mothers to death in front of them, then make them magical pain dildo rape their own fathers to death? Yeah, that whole thing? KNOCK IT OFF. NO MORE NEW MORD SITH.' So I always assumed that, somewhere, while Richard is setting up votes, sulking in the mountains, executing crowds of well-intentioned but idiot pacifists, or whatever, there are small girls being kidnapped and tortured in his name.

I think he actually did tell them not to. I just don't remember what book it was in.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Nathan's the best character. He could be better than Zedd. Everything he ends up doing is totally stupid and it couldn't be better. If only he were a character in a good series.

e:When do they mention how old he is? I don't remember.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I'm so glad I caught up before the end of this book. I don't know which memories I have of this series occur during what is left of this book, but no matter what it will be horriblewonderful.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
WFR
magic: 472
wizard: 421
wizards: 192
wizard's: 111
Richard: 2909
Kahlan: 1544
Zedd: 1913
Rahl: 980
Darken: 392
Panis: 18
Penis: 0
agiel: 127

SoT
magic: 745
wizard: 434
wizards: 243
wizard's: 42
Richard: 2729
Kahlan: 1403
Zedd: 710
Rahl: 331
Darken: 233
Panis: 7
Penis: 0
agiel: 58

Any other words you want me to check?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Elfface posted:

Hmm... How about a vent diagram of the overlap between SoT and Atlas Shrugged?

Here you go!

But really, I'd rather only figure out their occurrences in books, not compare them. I don't know how I would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Shannara gets better later on? I started reading it, went "I just finished LOTR, and this is just a reskin of that", then dropped it. I have rarely found books that copied as exactly through about the first 100 pages as the first Shannara book.