Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Sounds like a lot of nothing happened in those two chapters. Why do character development when we can focus on wilderness travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

quote:

I honestly don't know whether we're supposed to find Michael an rear end in a top hat or a quiet saint for this, given the tone of the story.

Objectivists are free-market capitalists who view altruism as weakness, so it's only logical that his brother's unethical business dealings would bring greater prosperity in the long run.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Paragon8 posted:

I always liked, and when I say liked I mean hated, the hundreds of pages that were spent with the mud people.

Are these people who live in mud, or are made of mud? What did Goodkind find so interesting about them that our attention focused so much on their mud-based civilization? Do I really want to know?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

The only real "good" under Objectivism, as I understand it, is to accept your "station in life." i.e. if you're an untermensch, to work without complaint and obey the ubermenschen who know what's best for you, and if you're an ubermensch, to order around the little antmen who do all your hard work but lack your mental faculties and ambition.

But wouldn't that contradict Ayn Rand's own proclamations that people should care only for themselves and being distrustful of government? :smugdog:

Or am I giving Objectivists too much credit?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Between Sword of Truth, Steve Ditko's Mr. A and The Question, and Watchmen's Rorschach being based off of the latter, I'm almost tempted to write out an Objectivist fantasy setting/RPG as a dark parody. All governments are simultaneously incompetent and evil, overwhelming violence and hatred can be justified by the PCs because "they're special," and the major NPCs have silly names like "Luke Darklord."

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 8, 2014

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Night10194 posted:

It's got more impact because it's actually heroic. Here we have a compassionate wizard working against someone who is way stronger than him and who he knows can kill the hell out of him and the abused young girl who has to be brave and stand up to accept what she's got to do to keep said bad guy from getting a macguffin. Giller and Rachel aren't in control, they aren't super plot armored and 'ubermensch', and thus they have to display actual bravery and act like people. There's no smug righteous anger here or anything, just a kind old man sacrificing his life to save the world and a young girl he cares about while she has to improvise an escape and have the strength to move on. That's the stuff of an actual good story.

But isn't sacrificing oneself for the sake of others one of the ultimate evils of altruism in Randian philosophy?

Did Goodkind intend him to come off as a good guy who wasn't a strawman?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

In regards to using a Muslim symbol as the Mord-Sith symbol, I found this blog interview with Goodkind which may shine a little light on things...

quote:

Q: Given your philosophical views, what is your opinion on the War on Terror?

Terry Goodkind: There is no such thing as a "War on Terror." This is another example of philosophy corrupting action. You can't have a war on a name. "Hate crime" is another one of those things: either it's a crime, or it's not. Either someone is doing something wrong, or they're not. We're not having a war on terror, we're having a war on Islamic fundamentalism. We're afraid to name the enemy, and in [that fear], we give them strength. When you can't name the enemy, you've already lost. When you're afraid to see who it is you're fighting, you've already lost.

And then Goodkind goes on to equate Islamic Fundamentalism with Middle Eastern men in general:

quote:

When you say you're fighting terror, there's no such thing as "terror" as an enemy. You're doing gang rape on 80 year-old Swedish grandmothers because you're afraid to say that the enemy are Middle Eastern men. This distraction, this forced equality, is ignoring of reality. Philosophy is at the cause of this because they're ignoring reality in order to adapt meaningless principles. The philosophy is going to get us all killed.

In World War II, in Japan, there were no deaths of Americans by insurgence, and the reason [for that] is because America, at that time, had the courage to crush those who were enforcing evil ideas. We may have had to kill a lot of people, but it was the only way to crush those evil ideas. And because we crushed those evil ideas, an entire culture in Japan grew up to create a great, noble, free people who have become an engine of freedom and an engine of economy in the world.

You either crush evil or you don't. If you allow evil to co-exist with you, it's only going to grow. We're allowing evil to grow. We're too timid to attack evil, and make no mistake: the Islamic world wants to kill us, and sooner or later, an atomic bomb is going to go off in the United States because we don't even have the courage to name the enemy.

Which makes sense in a weird way, considering that Objectivist reaction to 9/11 was "kill them all! Kill all the Muslims, no such thing as civilian casualties!" Which freaked out even Bill O'Reilly.

youtube video.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

Remember, not only does A=A, but B=B-thru-Z because only A is the truth and therefore everything else is wrong and therefore must be killed.

Should've called it 'objectionableism' instead.

I played the original Bioshock a long time ago, but I do remember that Objectivist Superman Andrew Ryan turned into a psychotic dictator in his quest to cleanse his beloved Rapture of the genuinely evil Frank Fontaine.

A lot of folk view it as Andrew Ryan betraying his ideals (which he did to an extent), but between this, the Sword of Truth fiction, and Leonard Peikoff in that YouTube video, I'm starting to think that the BioShock designers were well-aware of what happens when Objectivists go out to crusade against evil.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Domus posted:

Well played indeed!

You know what bothers me more than the pain-rape-stick, more than the stupid "Magic has two sides" bullshit Richard pulls out of his rear end? That his characters use the insanely cliche "mistress" and "my son" to address people. I hope this book was written before the 70's, because drat is that poo poo old. That's fan-fiction level writing right there.

First book published in 1994. The final book, Confessor, was published in 2007.

I still find it hilarious that the book's title is mage-speak for "people are stupid." It's surprisingly indicative of the story's characters.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Something I realized:

Wizard's First Rule is over 800 pages in an 11-novel series, most of which have a similar length give 100 or 200 pages.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy have around 1,000 to 1,200 pages depending on the printing.

Meaning that when Goodkin's wasting our time with Mord-Sith bondage torture, Frodo and Sam have departed from the Fellowship and are well on their way to Mordor to rid the world of the One Ring.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 29, 2014

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

And Eragon is the game where one PC ends up totally overpowered because the DM needs to have a "Chosen One" for the metaplot masquerading as an adventure path.

And the setting's elves are a thinly-veined vehicle for his political views told in a a :smugdog: way.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Plague of Hats posted:

I forgot that I really liked the basic premise of locking up a prophet to keep him from speaking doom. Of course, it's poo poo beyond that.

The thing is, even with all of the bad stuff I can see kernels of coolness in this work. The idea of wielding the power of pure truth being a double-edged sword (because you must confront yourself) is neat. So is the idea of elite guards patrolling a magic barrier home to crazy stuff, or the Gar or those creepy demon-dogs which never get brought up later in the series.

But so much of it gets wasted.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Skrewtape posted:

I know it's too much for to hope, but please tell me this is a joke.

Nope, masturbation was a critical component of the writing process.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Tezzor posted:

This book delivers Epic Takedowns of abortion, fiat money and welfare.

Please enlighten us on how Goodkind folds anti-abortion rhetoric into enlightened self-interest and individualism.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

I'd ask him if he's advocating for the sheep to become like wolves, because that's what it sounds like he's preaching.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 18, 2014

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

If anything, it reminds me of that KOTOR 2 scene in Nar Shadaa, where Kreia chastises you regardless of whether or not you help the beggar.

"Don't give the lame man food! No, don't give the beggar money, if you had given him food instead none of this would have happened!"

The Rule are set up to condemn any form of altruism. At least Kreia condemns the lack of charity as severely.

Libertad! fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 18, 2014

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

About two weeks ago I realized that my tolerance for the Sword of Truth only went so far, even in the context of good snark. As a result I found a mountain of posts and apparent plot progression when I came back to the thread.

The last thing I recall reading was how that prophet dude was being scolded for showing his insanity-inducing visions to the prostitutes brought to him. And how this priestess woman was shown a vision of how peace could be brought to the land or something by getting beheaded in front of her beloved and the people cheer.

If I just jump into Darkseid Dick Pic's story posts right now, I'm not going to be missing anything important?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Darkseid Dick Pics mentioned that Terry Goodkind wrote the Law of Nines; it was a book set in the same fictional world as SoT but advanced centuries to the point that the world is modern. This backfired among the fans or something. Is there any more information which can be gleaned on what happened?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Does it ever explain why the women prisoners are naked. Or why if they were able to overpower the guards without weapons or armor or even clothes, were they even caught and held for so long in the ship in the first place?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Let's not even dance around the thing I've stated openly a few times: every one of his brothers is evil.

He has more.

Goodkind Evil, or actually Evil?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

5,347 words, going by my Microsoft Word document via Copy-Paste.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Wow, it's almost like Richard Rahl's acting like some kind of imperialist dictator or something.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

We are not kidding when we say one novel straight up has him taken to a Soviet Russia pastiche wherein there are bread lines, art is verboten, and the lazy don't want this to change because they just bully the weak for their poo poo.

Don't you mean 'bully the strong?'

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

TheSmilingJackal posted:

Just got to the Mord-Sith part of Legend of the Seeker.

Time to strap in! :munch:

Fake Edit: that's how you pronounce "ageil"? Huh.

I misread that as "Just got to the Mord-Sith part of Legend of the Seeker. Time to fap!"

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Since I don't know what book it's in or if Darkseid already covered it and I managed to forget about it, but I recall hearing about something more obscure about the story which is probably spoilerific.

It's about nation which is almost destroyed due to white guilt or something to that effect. I've heard a lot of bad things about this series, but this one managed to escape my notice.

For anyone who has read or remembered the series, what's that about?

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

I finally just decided to grab the drat ebook so I can work on this at work/when I'm getting dinner before work. You're all welcome.

I never had to do this poo poo for LPs.

What kind of sandwich is that? Also, is it restaurant food or home-cooked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Richard Bong posted:

I think the things that annoy me the most about these books aren't the long winded objectivist rants or the weird sex stuff, I could forgive that. The worst part is how things are just so convenient when they need to be.
Like the resolution of the chimes, gratch becoming king gar or whatever, and so many other things. It's like he writes himself into a corner then devises some sort of way to get himself out of it and goes back in the book and makes a one off line about it. Only to make that the lynchpin of the survival of our ubermench later.

Kind of weird in how this and Ayn Rand's works seem to share both of these in common.