Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Dangersim posted:

Diego Sanchez is not a good fighter.

nope, but I give him a better shot at beating Conor than Poirier had tbh. It ain't like Conor is going to run a wrestling clinic on Diego and winning striking exchanges with Diego has never mattered in the eyes of the judges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bubba Smith posted:

nope, but I give him a better shot at beating Conor than Poirier had tbh. It ain't like Conor is going to run a wrestling clinic on Diego and winning striking exchanges with Diego has never mattered in the eyes of the judges.

Or in Diego's

some old hussy
Dec 6, 2005

What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on. Stop trying to hit me and hit me.
Conor is going to make so much loving money to decimate a Can.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
He's gonna get knocked out fast and then look really disappointed.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

Conor McGregor is going to get a title shot based on beating a dude who hasn't won a fight in 4+ years and it's going to be hilarious.

Gilbert. Melendez.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN 18m 18 minutes ago
Dana White on Conor in Mexico: That kid is nuts. No he's not. He wants to but he's not.

Sorry gang. Besides, doing Conor vs Diego on that card would be dumb when Lamas and Bermudez are supposed to appear and both guys would actually be sensible matchups for McGregor.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I don't really have any specific reasons but I'm not nearly as high on Bermudez as some people are.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Sorry Conor you can't do the thing Chael just told the media about, it doesn't work like that

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Sorry Conor you can't do the thing Chael just told the media about, it doesn't work like that

lmao, you're right.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I don't really have any specific reasons but I'm not nearly as high on Bermudez as some people are.

It's because he lost to Holloway, isn't it?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
It's a pretty simple process. Step one, get GSP to unretire. Step two, say you're fighting on the same card as him. Step three, release a video of yourself training by running with a keg of beer on your shoulder and drinking the keg as you run just like Minnesota Wrecking Crew legend "The Crusher". Another good option would be to eat a turnbuckle like George "The Animal" Steele.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

JuanGoat posted:

It's because he lost to Holloway, isn't it?

I'm not even sure if I saw that fight but wikipedia tells it was a split. I dunno it was more when he beat Guida everyone seemed to think he was the next big thing but Guida was never that great, and now he's old with a million miles on him.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Chael's streak of literally never saying anything of substance or truth improbably continues

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Bermudez is a Division 1 wrestler who can withstand a ridiculous beating (and give it back) and manhandled Guida in a way that very few, if any, had done before. He's also seemed to have gotten progressively better every fight even as he's moved up in competition. However, I do get that he hasn't faced real top competition yet, but if he wins the fight with Lamas he would have to be taken seriously as a contender. I'm pretty hyped on him though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dennis Bermudez is a guy I like quite a bit but I think he'll be at his peak in a year or two. Right now he's still a little wild and has a tendency to leave a lot of openings for guys looking to counter, but he's tough as an old boot and probably the best non TAM wrestler in the division. There'd be a lot more to like about him if he fought smarter. I think he'll end up getting beaten by someone higher up the rankings - in a tight fight and end up actually becoming a contender once he acknowledges his deficiencies. He needs to get better at putting his grappling and striking together because at the moment he has a slight tendency to stand off a little bit and then commit to one or the other rather than flowing between them like the elite grapple punchmen like Cruz, Melendez, and mighty mouse. He's a lot like Faber is in that department.

Since the Grice fight he's been a little bit smarter, but he could benefit from doing away with the "war" mentality and actually game plan for guys, because he should've destroyed Holloway with his wrestling alone.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Can someone please inform me of a good fighter who is box-of-hammers dumb that could be taught to fight smarter / could fight so well that fight iq doesn't matter?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

Can someone please inform me of a good fighter who is box-of-hammers dumb that could be taught to fight smarter / could fight so well that fight iq doesn't matter?

I think Tarec Saffiedine is a very talented fighter, but he made some dumb decisions in the Lim fight. He could have stopped that fight at multiple points in the third round and beyond when Lim could barely walk, but didn't do it and ended up giving Lim the chance to almost TKO him in the fifth round. Still have no idea what he was thinking to let that fight go to decision.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Marching Powder posted:

Uriah Hall clearly has ungodly power and ability, but he also has maybe the worst fight IQ I've ever seen. Thankfully he seems to be trying to change that. I just want the lemonade drinkin', spinkickin', KO from the bottom monster that we were promised by a season of reality television.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dangersim posted:

Diego Sanchez is not a good fighter.

Yeah, what's his best win, Gomi?

(I love Diego, but will admit he is severely lacking in both brains and fighting abilities)

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Uriah Hall clearly has ungodly power and ability, but he also has maybe the worst fight IQ I've ever seen. Thankfully he seems to be trying to change that. I just want the lemonade drinkin', spinkickin', KO from the bottom monster that we were promised by a season of reality television.

All he has to do is hang out with Chael P 24 hours a day and he'll be back in top form.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

Yeah, what's his best win, Gomi?

It was kind of obvious to everybody except the judges that he lost to Pearson and Gomi. In fact if I remember the Gomi fight even Sanchez was surprised and confused when the split went his way. The Kampmann fight wasn't as bad as those, but still highly dubious. Like somebody else said above, Diego maybe hasn't won a fight in 4 years. His best win in his career is probably Nick Diaz a million years ago (also his best fight).

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

There was a time right after TUF where Diego looked like an absolute beast, then he fought Josh Koscheck and laid an egg and never really got the hype back.

Edit: Also at that point he was crazy because Diego has always been crazy, but he hadn't lapsed into the self parody we see today.

Dangersim fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 2, 2014

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dangersim posted:

There was a time right after TUF where Diego looked like an absolute beast, then he fought Josh Koscheck and laid an egg and never really got the hype back.

Was it the Kos or the Fitch fight where Diego was riddled with staph?

Also, I think his run at lightweight was good, beating up Joe Stevenson when that was stated to be An Impressive Thing. Then BJ Penn proved that Diego was too stupid to get knocked out.

But hey, at least he's a 3-time Wrestling Observer Newsletter Fight of the Year winner

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I think it was Kos, because he pretty much didn't do anything in that fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My favourite thing about Diego is the fact that he managed to get kicked in the head by BJ Penn.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I really loved that time where Diego sprinted at a guy and kneed him senseless.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Brasseye posted:

I really loved that time where Diego sprinted at a guy and kneed him senseless.

Joe Riggs. His tooth flew out of his mouth iirc.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

gently caress. I didn't get to check twitter this morning so when I saw the McGregor post in here I was praying there wouldn't be a post proving it to be false.

I remember in the Gomi fight when Greg Jackson gave Diego a big speech before the third round about fighting for his family and a bunch of poo poo and then Diego came sprinting at Gomi to start the round and he got punched in the face.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think it's reasonable to assume Conor has been reading Chaels recent articles on booking your own fights for fun and profit, and being unashamed to call out the absolute worst person you think you can get booked against. Diego is too hyped up just fighting on his own, he would probably burst a brain vein getting trolled by Conor for an entire fight camp. I'm pretty sure he was one of the most aggrieved dudes when Conor originally went on that tear where he gave quick poo poo talk soundbites on all of FW after he beat Brimage and he's not even in that weightclass.

Conor did talk about fighting at 155 in his little post fight scrum though, about how he's done it before, and said he'd really enjoy being able to eat a steak (which he described in lurid detail) 2 weeks out.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Street Horrrsing posted:

Chael's streak of literally never saying anything of substance or truth improbably continues

Lmao sure dude

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Dangersim posted:

Joe Riggs. His tooth flew out of his mouth iirc.

The tooth thing was Karo, I think.

Riggs fight:

Diego used to be really fun to watch :sigh: Now there's just kind of this air of perfunctoriness about most of his fights.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That was Karo's veneer. for actual flying teeth watch that old UFC where the Sumo gets kicked by the eye-gouging devil or Machida waxing on Randy Couture's face.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

The tooth thing was Karo, I think.

Riggs fight:

Diego used to be really fun to watch :sigh: Now there's just kind of this air of perfunctoriness about most of his fights.

I think if Joe gets back to his wrestling background he'll do ok. He's shown to have a single leg shot.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bubba Smith posted:

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN 18m 18 minutes ago
Dana White on Conor in Mexico: That kid is nuts. No he's not. He wants to but he's not.

Sorry gang. Besides, doing Conor vs Diego on that card would be dumb when Lamas and Bermudez are supposed to appear and both guys would actually be sensible matchups for McGregor.

That sucks, I'd have really looked forward to that as a fan of both guys.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Pretty sure all Randy's chompers were veneers by the time he No Could Defend.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Conor calling out Diego probably means he's been told the Edgar v Swanson winner gets the next title shot, which is cool.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

LobsterMobster posted:

I think if Joe gets back to his wrestling background he'll do ok. He's shown to have a single leg shot.

:rimshot:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I really want to know why the gently caress Diego doesn't wrestle anymore. We are well past the point where he should've taken stock of his idiotic brawling style and fell out of love with his own striking, which was never as good as his grappling anyway. At least if he was still taking people down in between bouts of winged arm spaz punches there would be some reason behind gifting him dumb decisions. Maybe some kind of back injury? Did John Hathaway embarrass him that badly? Hath G-d forsaken him?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
He can't close the distance on anybody these days.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The answer is because Diego Sanchez is punch drunk at the best of times and probably legally retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Diego is extremely brain damaged and can only charge forward wildly swinging his fists now.

• Locked thread