Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Koopa Kid posted:

I am disappointed that Ottawa now seems to be making good decisions instead of whatever the hell they were doing the last 6-8 months. I guess it couldn't last.

I'm not sure the pattern has been totally established yet, broken clock and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

On the other hand, that means Jared Cowen is worth 500 milliryans.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So does that 7 year contract have a no trade / no movement clause?

Because if it has an NMC :laugh:

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

So does that 7 year contract have a no trade / no movement clause?

Because if it has an NMC :laugh:

The word on twitter is he has to submit a 10 team list that he can't be moved to.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
This deal is market value, and Ryan is probably still a good player, but it seems like an odd signing for Ottawa. Why did they trade Spezza? Still, Ryan is only 27, and should still have another few years of goal scoring in him. Should being the key word in the previous sentence, especially since he's coming off 2 rough years.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Twin Cinema posted:

This deal is market value, and Ryan is probably still a good player, but it seems like an odd signing for Ottawa. Why did they trade Spezza? Still, Ryan is only 27, and should still have another few years of goal scoring in him. Should being the key word in the previous sentence, especially since he's coming off 2 rough years.

Spezza and Ryan had zero chemistry. Spezza is also 4 years older and had lots more injury problems, especially his back. I wish they could have gotten a better return for him, but I don't really disagree with trading him before he breaks down entirely.

Also they were pretty sure Spezza wasn't going to re-sign next summer anyway.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

revtoiletduck posted:

Spezza and Ryan had zero chemistry. Spezza is also 4 years older and had lots more injury problems, especially his back. I wish they could have gotten a better return for him, but I don't really disagree with trading him before he breaks down entirely.

Also they were pretty sure Spezza wasn't going to re-sign next summer anyway.

Well, I don't disagree with Ottawa trading Spezza, I just thought it was a cost-saving measure over them fearing the worst from him.

But yeah, I don't think it would have been much of an issue if they got even a decent return on him. Chaisson is a nice player to have, but a pretty underwhelming return for Spezza.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Twin Cinema posted:

Well, I don't disagree with Ottawa trading Spezza, I just thought it was a cost-saving measure over them fearing the worst from him.

But yeah, I don't think it would have been much of an issue if they got even a decent return on him. Chaisson is a nice player to have, but a pretty underwhelming return for Spezza.

The main thing that puzzled me about the Spezza return was that they got a forward back instead of a D-man. Ottawa has a ton of young forward prospects ready to make the jump, and Chiasson just clutters that even more. What they don't have are any NHL d-men, of any age, beyond Karlsson and Methot.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Krime posted:

So, is Comeau regularly a penalty machine or what?

Scores into his own net sometimes.

ginc
Mar 25, 2007

Blatant Daniel Alfredsson apologist

Vicas posted:

I'm not sure the pattern has been totally established yet, broken clock and all that

He's got a pattern of following up good contracts with bad ones, mostly because of his love of things with size and/or grit.

Just signed a Norris trophy winning defenseman to a 6.5M cap hit? Better keep extending Chrises Philips and Neil! They've still got it!

Just signed Kyle Turris to a 3.5M cap hit for 6 years? Better get Colin Greening locked up for 4 years! Its not like he only put up points because of Spezza!

So basically, expect the next signing to be an extension for Methot similar to the Brooks Orpik contract. Or, if you prefer a budget solution, they'll just announce that Borowiecki (basically the Chris Neil of defensemen) is taking Methot's place in the lineup next year.

ginc fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 2, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

a false posted:

he's dirty as poo poo and he always has been
How many Cookes is he on the Dirty player scale?

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:
Is there a Toxx thread yet?

Gonna make a lot of islanders fans mad and say that strome doesn't start the season with the big club

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
@FriedgeHNIC
MIN claims Nate Prosser on waivers from STL

Prosser's spent his entire career until now with the Wild, but this is still weird. Doesn't he have to stay on the NHL roster all year? I'm not quite sure what the purpose of this is.

Heaf fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 2, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wayne Train is day-to-day with lower body injury

wayne train nooooo

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Travis Morin (The other one) cleared waivers, which kind of surprised me as he's in Dallas' top six forward prospects. Hooray cap management hell!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

Wayne Train is day-to-day with lower body injury

wayne train nooooo

gently caress :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Gunjin posted:

Caps prospect Galiev did a thing in Heresy's first preseason game last night

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos_h264...oUeShtAjOsKi6OS

That's one of the slickest things I've seen in a while.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
doesn't count if it's against one of philly's goaltending prospects, sorry

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Largo LaForge posted:

Oh my goooooooooddddddd:

Largo LaForge posted:

Yes yes yes yes.

How does he still have a job? At this point he must be close to pissing off MLSE to the point he would get his access revoked.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DOOMocrat posted:

Travis Morin (The other one) cleared waivers, which kind of surprised me as he's in Dallas' top six forward prospects. Hooray cap management hell!

Travis Morin is 30 years old.

He's not a top 6 forward prospect in any sense of the word.

e: He'll almost certainly give up the NHL dream when this contract ends, and head over to Europe, where he'll score a lot of Europoints.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Peter Mueller cleared waivers. Surprised no one grabbed him. This tells me that Robby Fabbri is going to get at least a 9 game look this season.

EDIT: Also, with Prosser getting claimed, it looks like Petteri Lindbohm might get a chance to play top pairing minutes in the AHL and be an injury call up.

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 2, 2014

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Travis Morin is 30 years old.

He's not a top 6 forward prospect in any sense of the word.

I mixed his age up with the other one, and that's not the first time I've done that. Jesus.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Peter Mueller cleared waivers. Surprised no one grabbed him. This tells me that Robby Fabbri is going to get at least a 9 game look this season.

He is so good, god drat I hate that St. Louis got him.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

And the big question on everyone's mind on this July 1st, which suitor does Mike Fisher choose?

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Senators are back still here baby

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Guignol posted:

Senators are back still here baby

It's a really similar team to the team that made the second round of the playoffs two years ago, minus Silfverberg, Alfie, and Gonchar, but plus MacArthur, Ryan, and Karlsson.

Too bad about the two years of regression for Phillips and Cowen :(

bub spank fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 2, 2014

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

sbaldrick posted:

How does he still have a job? At this point he must be close to pissing off MLSE to the point he would get his access revoked.

How does anybody at the Sun still have a job? They sell papers, and the truth doesn't matter.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

How does anybody at the Sun still have a job? They sell papers, and the truth doesn't matter.

This is every newspaper still in existence though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sun readers want to read someone smarter than them to help form their opinions but not TOO much smarter.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Steve Simmons doesn't tweet. An autistic manchild takes care of his account.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Kari: Passed all concussion testing and is "good to go"
Gonchar: Got hit in the leg with something and is out for "a while"

An addition, and an addition by subtraction. Woo!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

DOOMocrat posted:

Gonchar: Got hit in the leg with something and is out for "a while"

So, what did you use? Lead pipe? Crowbar? Or did you go nuclear and run him over with your car?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Canadiens have put Drewiskie on waivers, but Bouillon is still with the team.

:suicide:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

grack posted:

So, what did you use? Lead pipe? Crowbar? Or did you go nuclear and run him over with your car?

He got Nancy Kerrigan'd. :toughguy:

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

grack posted:

Tolerance. It's super effective against old Russians and 4x effective against the orthodoxy.

Edit: It was a puck

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 2, 2014

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

:suicide:

Also sent to the Hammer are Andrighetto, Pateryn, Dumont, and someone named Jake Dowell.

No surprises there although some people had given Pateryn a shot to make the team ahead of Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Of course, no-one is bumping Cube at this point. I'm just trying to get used to the idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Hmm. I strongly disagree with this decision.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Cap Geek says the blackhawks are 2.2 million over the cap. With the season starting in a week I have to ask, what's the penalty for just ignoring the salary cap?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Cap Geek says the blackhawks are 2.2 million over the cap. With the season starting in a week I have to ask, what's the penalty for just ignoring the salary cap?

You forfeit every game you are not cap compliant, although I'm sure the NHL would insist that the Hawks do something before it got to that point. The Hawks will make a move to get under the cap before rosters have to be submitted to the NHL. Leddy is the most likely candidate to be traded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

HootTheOwl posted:

Trading Jonny Toews to Winnipeg - his right and trueful home.

• Locked thread