Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jay Dub posted:

Does putting the Leprechaun in space and/or The Hood make the series any better, or at least more entertaining? Or am I better off finding another series to marathon?

They're definitely more interesting in a "How crazy can this film get?" kind of way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGa3R9VvDVs&t=24s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

10/6: Christine
It's far from Carpenter's best, but I really, really enjoyed this movie. Could have been a bit shorter. The car stuff was really fun and I wish we got a tiny bit more of it.

10/7: The Crazies
Not a good movie, feel like it meanders st points. The zombie stuff was kind of bad and everything feels really cheap. I liked the overall idea of the story, which was about the government / military totally bungling this operation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So I'm looking for alternate places to stream Scream Stream this weekend. Do you guys think it's better to have a big dumb watermark in the bottom right of the broadcast and no real chat option to speak of, or to risk getting shut down for violating Twitch's obnoxious "only video games!!!" policy?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

So I'm looking for alternate places to stream Scream Stream this weekend. Do you guys think it's better to have a big dumb watermark in the bottom right of the broadcast and no real chat option to speak of, or to risk getting shut down for violating Twitch's obnoxious "only video games!!!" policy?

Isn't the whole point the chat?

Anyway, this article may help, and there's this thing on Reddit(ugh).

Maybe just set up a stream and then chat on a separate client?

(I dunno, I've never streamed anything in my life.)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Neither of these matches the cover of my copy, which is dominated by a hooded, horned figure with glowing red eyes. That same figure shows up on the main menu, while unearthly writing scrolls upwards and scenes from the film are shown tinted red.
This is the story of a young girl who discovers that she's a little different from most people, and works to bring about acceptance in her community, for herself and those with a similar condition. The condition is that she's growing goat horns, because the people who settled that part of Canada got too greedy for resources. And also she wants to have sex all the time. This never really comes into play, though, because it's a Canadian tax credit-funded film. Can she find acceptance outside the confines of her rural town? Can she teach the other animalized women to not fall prey to body-shaming? Will her bicyclist boyfriend Spumoni reveal the secret of his name? Yes.

This film misrepresents itself amazingly (from the back-cover summary: "Sylvia undergoes a horrifying physical transformation[.]" From the movie: "They look like my nipples!"). Aside from a mayor who wields a horn-clipper and turns out to be part animal himself, revealed when he gets into a goat head-butting match (he conceals his horns under a toupee), there's no horror elements to it. It could almost be a Disney-produced TV movie, if not for the sex-drive thing.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
My favourite Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode definitely has to be "The Tale of the Dead Man's Float", which features a horrifying red rotting corpse haunting a pool. Scared the hell out of me as a child, and still unnerves me to this day. Man, that show was just the best.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There's one AYAotD? episode about a ghost who writes poo poo all over the walls. That one terrified the hell out of baby me.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

weekly font posted:

There's one AYAotD? episode about a ghost who writes poo poo all over the walls. That one terrified the hell out of baby me.

My favorite episode was the one where a school's pool was built over a graveyard and one of the spirits haunts the pool and pulls people under when they go for a swim. Then the two protagonists put some chemical or something into the pool and out comes this rotting, zombie-like creature that was way too intense for a kid's show.

I remember way too much about this show. YTV in Canada used to have a late-night block the Friday (or Saturday) before Halloween called "Dark Night" that ran from 1993-97 where new ATAOTD episodes (like the one I mentioned) would debut as well as new kid's horror shows.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

But then it would go and have ridiculous episodes about Phone Police or giant pinball machines.

However, I still will drop a "Yours be mine and mine be yours" when I get the chance.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
That's the same episode.

Me and my friends like to watch AYAOTD? after a night at the bars. The creepiest episode, even as an adult, is The Tale of Watcher's Woods. Hands down, there are some disturbing undertones in that episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I loved Are You Afraid Of The Dark? and Eerie Indiana as a kid. The original Eerie, mind you, not the terrible relaunch.

To anyone who cares, I've sorted out my streaming issues, so if you tuned in last week and were put off by audio issues, those'll be 100% sorted for the next showing. And I managed to fix it without leaving Ustream!

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I'm now up 28 horror flicks for October! I know, it worries me too. Here's the list so far: http://letterboxd.com/cinemafromage/list/october-movies Hosting a couple different horror and movie podcasts gives me a good excuse though!

Today's viewing was the "Night of the Demons" trilogy. Which is cool cause up until recently, I didn't realize there were three of 'em! 2 and 3 don't hold up very well to the first, but they're in the same spirit AND they have the original Angela in all three, which is cool I suppose. If you want a uh...treat? Check this scene from Night of the Demons 3. It's out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKA990ecKDM

Watched Freddy Vs. Jason today too, which holds up really well. Forgot Katherine Isabelle was in it. Seemed like a good capstone for both flicks, especially since the remakes of both were not great.

Tonight, we're recording a podcast on Annabelle, which didn't impress me much. Pretty certain they showed all the scary stuff in the trailers, and it was pretty predictable. Ah well, can't win em all! It is sad though, cause I think that the James Wan camp has a lot of horror talent, but they keep doing the same stuff. (Annabelle wasn't directed by him, but it's directed by the DP for most of his flicks.) Insidious was great, but they've done that four times now. I'd like to see them tackle a new idea, they've got the talent for it!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day 8 - The Legend of Hell House wasn't very original even when it was new. It's very formulaic, but it does that formula very well and I wound up enjoying it.

Stop me if you've heard this one before. There's an evil house that's supposed to be packed to the rafters with ghosts. Lots of strange deaths have occurred there over the years. Wanting to get to the bottom of these phenomenon, a scientist brings in some psychics and they stay at the house. The ghostly manifestations start soon after they arrive and then escalate until a violent climax occurs.

Not a lot to say about this one since it is so basic. I liked the scientific ghostbusting machine. It also seemed to me that a lot of the psuedoscience was based on popular bullshit that psychics were spewing at the time, which made it feel a little awkward since they change their stories about every ten years (physical and mental mediums? I've never even heard of that kind of divide before). Still, a fun romp.

I think tomorrow I'm going to watch The Golem. It's just about the only major silent horror film I haven't seen.

Amber Sweet
Apr 30, 2009
I missed last night so tonight I figured I would watch a double feature. I chose The Last Exorcism (2010) and The Last Exorcism 2 (2013).

I REALLY enjoyed the first one, like, a lot. I really like found footage movies so I could be bias, but I thought it was fantastic. I loved the main character, despite him kinda being a con-artist.. well, sort of anyway, he DOES give people what they're looking for I thought he was just a super nice guy and obviously really cared about Nells' well being. I also thought this was a nice twist on the usual exorcist movies, and it DID have me questioning whether or not she was actually possessed until basically the last second.

The acting in this movie was really top notch. And being a found footage lover, it's real nice to see some top quality acting. I thought they all blew it out of the park, especially Nell. The ending wasn't that great but I don't think it ruined the entire movie or anything.

And ya know what? The second one was loving awesome too. It wasn't totally the same, not found footage.. not actually that many scares (mostly they were jump scares which I don't really care for), but unlike the first one, the ending was AWESOME. It actually brought the movie from "meh" territory, to "I loving love this." I can see that it might not be to every ones tastes, but I thought it was amazing. I was laughing and cheering when Nell drove away and everything was catching on fire around her, including the fire truck that was on its way to put out all the fires. I mean c'mon, HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME??. I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting total poo poo.

I'm not totally surprised it didn't get great reviews... but to be honest, I don't take reviews too seriously when it comes to horror movies. They all generally get terrible reviews. I don't look at plot holes or question characters actions too much in horror, or focus on things like that. There's only one thing I look at when it comes to whether or not I like a horror movie: did I enjoy watching it? Did I find it entertaining? If the answer is yes, it's a good horror movie in my books.

So in all, I'm very happy with tonights choices. I recommend both, especially for us horror fanatics.

Amber Sweet fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 9, 2014

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Movie 8: Friday the 13th part 2

I watched the first one right at the end of September. This one's probably more notable for being the first one to feature Jason anyways. This one starts out really poorly. The opening ten minutes pretty much serve to recap the first movie. In an 86 minute movie, devoting that much time to a recap is a problem in terms of pacing. There's a bit of a slow build as well, and a lot if the kills in the first half focus on characters that we don't really get to know, like some random cop. Eventually this one falls into a good pattern of rapid kills, but it takes its sweet time getting there. I think this one can be recommended more for historical purposes than anything else.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Lurdiak posted:

I loved Are You Afraid Of The Dark? and Eerie Indiana as a kid. The original Eerie, mind you, not the terrible relaunch.

To anyone who cares, I've sorted out my streaming issues, so if you tuned in last week and were put off by audio issues, those'll be 100% sorted for the next showing. And I managed to fix it without leaving Ustream!

Good deal. Livestream would be worth looking at, but yeah they are really tough on copyrighted material. Any idea of what the features will be yet?

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
1. Mama
2. Goke: Body Snatcher from Hell
3. Dead and Buried
4. Satan's Princess
5. From Beyond.
5.b) The Monster Squad
6. Night of the Creeps.

Last night was The Haunting, which I enjoyed quite a bit. I particularly enjoyed that you never see the ghost, you just hear otherworldly noises and all the spooky is stuff is left to your imagination. Also, is it just me or was the character Theodora pretty obviously gay? It felt like they kept dropping little hints, which is pretty progressive for 1963. Although on the other hand Nell does call her a "freak of nature" at one point, but it's implied that she is being controlled by the house at that point. I'd definitely recommend it, I found it pretty effecting especially considering it's age.

I also re-watched A Nightmare on Elm Street, which I hadn't seen in years. Not quite as scary as I remember it being, but I'll always have a deep abiding affection for the Nightmare movies. I intend to watch all of them (minus the remake, and New Nightmare which I've watched too many times already) this month in addition to the 31 other movies I'll be watching, but we'll see how strong my resolve proves.

Not sure what I'm going to watch tonight.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dr.Caligari posted:

Good deal. Livestream would be worth looking at, but yeah they are really tough on copyrighted material. Any idea of what the features will be yet?

I don't want to give too much away, but we're going to watch an entry in the Friday the 13th series, and an old classic!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pigbog posted:

Also, is it just me or was the character Theodora pretty obviously gay? It felt like they kept dropping little hints, which is pretty progressive for 1963. Although on the other hand Nell does call her a "freak of nature" at one point, but it's implied that she is being controlled by the house at that point. I'd definitely recommend it, I found it pretty effecting especially considering it's age.

The Haunting was what I was thinking about the whole time I was watching Hell House since they're very similar movies. The Haunting is better for mood, I think, but that isn't to slight Hell House.

And yes, Theodora is gay.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Week 1
1) Re-Animator (1985)
2) Isle of the Dead (1945)
3) Full Moon High (1981)
4) The Innkeepers (2011)

Week 2
5) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)
6) Galaxy of Terror (1981)
7) Lair of the White Worm (1988)

8) Nosferatu (1922) / Shadow of the Vampire (2000)

Well, this is my third time seeing Nosferatu, and I'm afraid to say that the returns continue to diminish. I think it's fair to acknowledge the film's cultural influence, but as a whole it hasn't really stood the test of time, not the least because the most vivid impression it leaves is - not unlike Lang's Die Nibelungen - is of the German consciousness after the first and before the second world war. It's impossible to ignore how Murnau and Galeen transpose Stoker's already overtly Nativist horror story and compound it with imagery of disease and a disconcerting contextualization of Orlak within biological vampirism, as if to suggest that there really could be human vampires. What one gets with Nosferatu is basically the story of a literally mad real-estate agent who sells property to a rat-like outsider with a burning desire for virgin German women. Tellingly, the destruction of the goddamned Orlak necessitates the 'virgin sacrifice' of Ellen. To Murnau and Galeen's credit, they explicitly contextualize this through Ellen's twist of agency, able to confront the monster that Hutter is unable to face again because he himself invited it.

But in the same light I've gained a deeper appreciation for E. Elias Merhige's Shadow of the Vampire. It's also not without its flaws, but it works surprisingly well as a satire of the fine line between the fear of the Other and its fundamental manifestation from the mind of the native. Merhige even seems conscious of the racist subtext of Nosferatu: when Malcovich as Murnau locks himself in his room and covers his walls in crucifixes to ward off the vampire, not only does the scene call back to Knock's cell in Nosferatu, but a swastika is clearly visible on Murnau's wall.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Tonight was The Beyond, which is a movie I tried to watch a couple times before, but never really got into. This time I had a much better time with it. The acting isn't great, and the characters are pretty much non-existent, and gore doesn't really scare or entertain me much, but for some reason it really worked. I think the complete commitment to amping up the craziness (and the movie starts pretty goddamned crazy) worked for me.

I wanted a shorter one too, and I remembered SMG mentioning Jenny's House in the main horror thread. Man, that movie sucked. I realize it was made by amateurs on the super-cheap, but it did nothing for me at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I JUST finished my latest movie and I'm doing this now instead of later even though I plan to watch something else (either another film or the season premiere of American Horror Story) because I'm freaked out enough that I NEED to do something else with the lights on and everything. I get the sense this might be an unpopular one because I get the sense people don't like this one, but it got to me.

#8) Paranormal Activity (2007)

I've been avoiding this forever. I've owned the DVD for years and since I got it people have even gifted me 2 and 3 and I still haven't once moved to watch the original. Why? "Things that go bump in the night" are what get me the most and found footage is a format that really sucks me in. The hype around it made it out to be the scariest thing ever and while I knew that was probably hyperbole and advertising I still was confident that if it was even half well done it would really scare me because it hits my particular buttons.

I'm not going to lie to you, even if confessing this will rightly get me mocked. When the film ended and those tense seconds where the camera is recording nothing and you're just waiting to find out what the gently caress happened? Without even realizing it I found myself literally clutching the blanket I was under as my heart was beating through my chest. And I don't even watch movies with blankets on me. I just needed that security during this.

I get the sense people don't like the slow build and relative lack of action but I actually think its very effective in building tension. I genuinely like that we never really saw anything besides shadows and footprints because I'm a big believer in your imagination being scarier than most of what they can dream up. And watching Katie and Micah's emotional and mental state gradually break down really affected me. I hate Micah. He's an rear end in a top hat who caused this by not following anyone's advice and just generally being a douche (and again, I think its very effective that its implied the demon is angry at Micah and jealous but its never said out loud). But its genuinely affecting the way you see him go from a sceptic just wanting to have fun with this to angry and freaked the gently caress out that he's so impotent to do anything. And Katie's gradual journey from something that freaks her out but she's lived with it her whole life, to worried and angry that Micah is antagonizing it and making it worse, to just defeated and scared out of her mind was one of the more effective demonic possession journeys I've seen.

And I didn't really expect the movie to be about that when I started it. I was just expecting the usual ghost stuff. True, demonic possession isn't any more original but I think the fact that they did away with all the effects and bells and whistles you usually see with that and instead made it about the emotional and mental journey was a kind of unique approach that got to me.

Its not the scariest movie ever, or even that I've seen this season. I think Sinister still beats it out for that (although I think PA beats out Insidious and Lords of Salem for #2). Its not one of my favorite horror movies ever. I'm sure it will lose a lot in repeat viewings as most found footage movies do, which is why I always prefer to re-watch a found footage horror with a virgin to the film so you can experience it vicariously through them. But I thought that was super, super effective and I have no complaints. Except that Micah is an rear end in a top hat.

And I have no real opinion on the ending debate. I think I prefer the Theatrical one but that might be because I saw it first and I literally couldn't watch her slit her own throat. Although I'm just now reading about the original ending and I think I might have preferred that one. But c'est la vie

Ok, I might go watch a comedy to break my mood. This helped. Feel free to mock me being scared like a small child, but hey, this weird desire to inflict this on myself is why I watch these movies.

The Tally
Pre-October Warm Up
V/H/S (2012) / V/H/S 2 (2013) / Sinister (2012) / Quarantine 2: Terminal (2011) / State Of Emergency (2011) / We Are What We Are (2013)
Week 1: Oct 1st to 7th
1) Insidious (2010) / 2) Insidious: Chapter 2 (2013) / 3) Enter Nowhere (2011) / 4) The Nurse (2013) / 5) American Mary (2012) / Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995) / 6) Re-Animator (1985) / 7) The Lords of Salem (2013)
Week 2: Oct 8th to present
8) Paranormal Activity (2007)

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 9, 2014

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Tonight I watched Deep Red.

There were some flashes of genius in this movie, but overall I'm not sure I liked it at all. The pacing was atrocious, and the rad Goblin soundtrack did not suit the movie whatsoever (the main theme not withstanding, that was perfect). There were some cool creepy visuals but no real substance. I don't think it really clicked for me the way it's supposed to. People tell me this is better than Suspiria, but I just don't see why. Very disappointing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

#1. Half-Caste (2004)
#2 Grim (1995)
#3 The Host (2006)
#4 Para-Norman(2012)
#5 Maniac Cop II (1995)
#6 The Vampire Journals (1997)
#7 Alien 2: Sulla Terra (1980)

#8: The Stone Tape (1972)

Peter Brock is the head of the media department for a major British electronics firm. He's also a sleazy womanizer, and an electrifyingly passionate boss. The kind of guy you'd hate to be friends with, but love to work under. He also just moved his department to a centuries old castle to work on discovering the next big medium in home audio and video, including Jill, his computer expert that he is having an affair with, and is apparently more sensitive to ghostly activity than others. Oh, did I mention that a room in the castle is haunted by the ghost of a maid that fell to her death in the 1890's, a room renovators have refused to clean up for their equipment? Because it is. And Peter has decided his team is going to devote their abilities to finding out why the ghost exists.

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

I am a horror addict. I devour stuff in the genre. My queue and racks of films are almost exclusively scary stuff. I have a dedicated shelf on my bookcase to non-fiction selections the size of phonebooks on the making and cataloging of horror films. I have an encyclopedic knowledge of the genre, able to name probably 75% of the genre based on description alone. I don't scare. I knew what this film was about going in. I'd heard the reviews and had a general idea of what I was getting in to. Yet after this movie part of me wants to hide under my desk and call up my girlfriend to come pick me up in the middle of the night. And I live in a relatively recent-built, modern condominium.

This movie, shown initially on Christmas, and re-aired the following year then thrown into obscurity, should be shown in classrooms as the most perfectly paced horror film of all time. The film starts incredibly slow and ordinary, only suddenly thrust you into the extraordinary, and begins calmly, yet insistently propelling you forward until you get to the final turn of the plot and find yourself moving a breakneck pace that you had no idea how you got to. This has to be the work of legendary scribe Nigel Kneale, whom I've unfortunately not encountered anything else of yet, as director Peter Sadsy, while having a few Hammer flicks under his belt, is also a Razzie recipient. A Razzie. And yet, it's one of the best Ghost movies I've ever seen.

One of the things that struck me while watching was one of the things it did right, which it shares in common with other great ghost investigation films like Poltergeist and The Haunting, which is to say that the story keeps its investigators, who have a lust for knowledge behind their actions, not any true desire to help anyone, guessing and uncertain of how things are working. Every time they think they're starting to get a handle on how the ghosts operate, and what their rule set is, the rules change. In that way, the audience too is left out in the cold, not knowing what will happen next. It also helps that I have a soft spot for movies in which the investigators don't waste time being incredulous and doubting what's right in front of them, and this film gets that in spades. This film was made right in-between the inventions of Laserdisc and Compact Disc (two drastically different, yet similar looking technologies,) when those in the industry were just moving from old men in labcoats to kids fresh out of college. These men all know what they're doing, and have rooms full of equipment to aid them.

Also, Spoilers: The reveal at the end of primordial pre-human ghosts might be the best integration of Lovecraftian ideas in a modern setting I've ever seen. The special effects were absolutely threadbare, yet I found myself terrified by what was happening. Absolutely jaw-dropping. My heart is still racing. I'm not sure I feel comfortable rating this, as I'd want to do some cutesy "6 out of 5" type thing or something like that.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

The Stone Tape owns. I watched it with the Ghost Stories for Christmas series last winter, which also kicked rear end. I recommend checking it out, if you can find it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Choco1980 posted:

#1. Half-Caste (2004)
#2 Grim (1995)
#3 The Host (2006)
#4 Para-Norman(2012)
#5 Maniac Cop II (1995)
#6 The Vampire Journals (1997)
#7 Alien 2: Sulla Terra (1980)

#8: The Stone Tape (1972)

Peter Brock is the head of the media department for a major British electronics firm. He's also a sleazy womanizer, and an electrifyingly passionate boss. The kind of guy you'd hate to be friends with, but love to work under. He also just moved his department to a centuries old castle to work on discovering the next big medium in home audio and video, including Jill, his computer expert that he is having an affair with, and is apparently more sensitive to ghostly activity than others. Oh, did I mention that a room in the castle is haunted by the ghost of a maid that fell to her death in the 1890's, a room renovators have refused to clean up for their equipment? Because it is. And Peter has decided his team is going to devote their abilities to finding out why the ghost exists.

Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo.

I am a horror addict. I devour stuff in the genre. My queue and racks of films are almost exclusively scary stuff. I have a dedicated shelf on my bookcase to non-fiction selections the size of phonebooks on the making and cataloging of horror films. I have an encyclopedic knowledge of the genre, able to name probably 75% of the genre based on description alone. I don't scare. I knew what this film was about going in. I'd heard the reviews and had a general idea of what I was getting in to. Yet after this movie part of me wants to hide under my desk and call up my girlfriend to come pick me up in the middle of the night. And I live in a relatively recent-built, modern condominium.

This movie, shown initially on Christmas, and re-aired the following year then thrown into obscurity, should be shown in classrooms as the most perfectly paced horror film of all time. The film starts incredibly slow and ordinary, only suddenly thrust you into the extraordinary, and begins calmly, yet insistently propelling you forward until you get to the final turn of the plot and find yourself moving a breakneck pace that you had no idea how you got to. This has to be the work of legendary scribe Nigel Kneale, whom I've unfortunately not encountered anything else of yet, as director Peter Sadsy, while having a few Hammer flicks under his belt, is also a Razzie recipient. A Razzie. And yet, it's one of the best Ghost movies I've ever seen.

One of the things that struck me while watching was one of the things it did right, which it shares in common with other great ghost investigation films like Poltergeist and The Haunting, which is to say that the story keeps its investigators, who have a lust for knowledge behind their actions, not any true desire to help anyone, guessing and uncertain of how things are working. Every time they think they're starting to get a handle on how the ghosts operate, and what their rule set is, the rules change. In that way, the audience too is left out in the cold, not knowing what will happen next. It also helps that I have a soft spot for movies in which the investigators don't waste time being incredulous and doubting what's right in front of them, and this film gets that in spades. This film was made right in-between the inventions of Laserdisc and Compact Disc (two drastically different, yet similar looking technologies,) when those in the industry were just moving from old men in labcoats to kids fresh out of college. These men all know what they're doing, and have rooms full of equipment to aid them.

Also, Spoilers: The reveal at the end of primordial pre-human ghosts might be the best integration of Lovecraftian ideas in a modern setting I've ever seen. The special effects were absolutely threadbare, yet I found myself terrified by what was happening. Absolutely jaw-dropping. My heart is still racing. I'm not sure I feel comfortable rating this, as I'd want to do some cutesy "6 out of 5" type thing or something like that.

I've never heard of this one, but based on your review I'm going to try and track this down.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Choco1980 posted:

This has to be the work of legendary scribe Nigel Kneale, whom I've unfortunately not encountered anything else of yet, as director Peter Sadsy, while having a few Hammer flicks under his belt, is also a Razzie recipient. A Razzie. And yet, it's one of the best Ghost movies I've ever seen.

I was sold by your review, but these two are just the icing on the cake. Sadsy directed Countess Dracula and Taste the Blood of Dracula. Kneale wrote all of the Quatermass TV shows and hammer flicks as well as the Abominable Snow Man for Hammer! As a massive Hammer fan, The Stone Tapes is now on my must see list for this month.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Watched a few so far, so I'll post them.

The Hole (2009) - Going into this I thought it was a kids movie, based on the description and just how the whole movie was shot. However, I wouldn't let any young kid watch it. It has some creepy parts that would definitely be giving kids nightmares for a while. Overall, the movie surprised me. While not jump out at you scary, it had a good storyline and was quite enjoyable. :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

House (1986) - I'm not sure what they were going for with this movie. At times it seemed as though they wanted it to be a serious horror movie, while at others it seemed to be way too goofy. Between the music and sound effects, this movie pretty much sums up 80's movies. The puffy latex monsters were pretty ridiculous looking. No scares in this movie, and I had to force myself to finish. :spooky::spooky:/5

Satan's Little Helper (2004) - Came into it knowing it was a cheap B movie, didn't leave disappointed. Scary? Not at all. Creative story line. A very limited budget, which is obvious throughout the film. But, :swoon: Katheryn Winnick :swoon:. I would watch it again just for her. :spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

Grave Encounters (2011) - I have always been a fan of the found footage type movies, so I was hoping I would enjoy this one. I feel like the opportunity for it to be really enjoyable was there, but they missed the mark. Started off with a good amount of tension, but I felt like once they set up the static cams, they should have focused the action more on those than the shaky hand cams. Also, the scary stuff starts off as being unseen, doors closing, windows opening, things moving, etc, but ends up being people with dark eyes and big mouths. As soon as they appeared, I lost interest. They should have stuck to the unknown instead of giving the supernatural a shape. :spooky:/5

The Pact (2012) - Went into this completely blind, not knowing anything about it. Ended up being a pretty drat good movie. Good tension, some scary moments for sure, decent storyline, cool twist in the plot. Overall very enjoyable and you should watch it if you haven't seen it. :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Darthemed posted:

This was my first time watching Kwaidan, and man, was this film gorgeous, from the opening credits to the end. Great use of lighting and colors, and the set design was beautiful, even with some obvious use of matte paintings. It's an anthology, with four adaptations of Japanese folk-tales, and while there's some action elements in the last two, the atmosphere is generally a slow-burn vibe. The acting was highly dramatic and emotional, but not inappropriately so. I have a feeling this will come out near the top of my list at the end of the month.

This review got me off my rear end about seeing this movie. It set on my 'to watch' list last October, mainly due to the run time and attempting to watch 1 horror movie and day. Once it started, I forgot all about the runtime and was immersed into the beautiful sets and atmosphere. As said above, most of the stories take a slow pace, but it works This movie also makes fantastic use of music and sounds. I loved it, and I feel this will finish toward the top of my list also.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Watched so far: ('31) Spanish Dracula, Spider Baby, Castle of Blood, Onibaba, American Werewolf in Paris, Torso, Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism, Kwaidan

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 9, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Trip Daddy X posted:

Watched a few so far, so I'll post them.

The Hole (2009) - Going into this I thought it was a kids movie, based on the description and just how the whole movie was shot. However, I wouldn't let any young kid watch it. It has some creepy parts that would definitely be giving kids nightmares for a while. Overall, the movie surprised me. While not jump out at you scary, it had a good storyline and was quite enjoyable. :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

I loved this movie and would totally let kids watch it (after a certain age). This is the kind of 80's horror I grew up on that wasn't shy about scaring you just a little, like Ghostbusters or Gremlins (the latter is no coincidence since it's Joe Dante at the helm).

I saw it in 3D when it came out and it was a really neat experience.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

flashy_mcflash posted:

I loved this movie and would totally let kids watch it (after a certain age). This is the kind of 80's horror I grew up on that wasn't shy about scaring you just a little, like Ghostbusters or Gremlins (the latter is no coincidence since it's Joe Dante at the helm).

I saw it in 3D when it came out and it was a really neat experience.

Guess it depends on the age of the kid. I probably would think 10+ to be ok.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Finished out my Hammer Dracula set with two that I've never seen before. I love Hammer and I'm running out of new stuff to watch, I'm pretty close to having seen them all.

Taste the Blood of Blood of Dracula: This was really good for the most part. The typical Hammer sets look amazing as always, and this time the story plays out kind of like a revenge movie. Three guys end up murdering a man after he drinks the blood of Dracula and goes crazy, but Dracula takes possession of his body, resurrects himself and goes on a killing spree. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Christopher Lee isn't really the main focus by this point in the series but Hammer usually seems to put together casts of really interesting characters to make up for that, which is the case again here. The only thing I didn't really like about it was the ending, which to me made Dracula appear weak and stupid.

Dracula A.D. 1972: I didn't realize the year is actually part of the title until the opening credits. Anyway, I wanted to like this more because it has Cushing and Lee in it, but I think I've come to the conclusion that the Hammer aesthetic works the best as a period piece. I was missing the old costumes and the horse drawn carriages, and constantly annoyed by the 70's soundtrack. That said, there were some great moments. The way Dracula is resurrected via a Black Mass was really cool, and the ending was much more climactic because its Cushing vs. Lee. Cushing's cheekbones were just ridiculous in this movie, I've never seen anything like it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Started off Slasher Week with The Final Destination. Possibly some of the worst acting in a mainstream film I'd seen in a while, but theres a lot of fun deaths in this one, and plenty of neat references to previous films. Not to mention they double the 'neat kill' count by having not one, but two flash forwards!

Tonight is Scream or the Halloween remake, we'll see.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh, Oct 8 - The Loved Ones

This movie still holds up as one of my favourite modern horrors and works better and better on each rewatch. It's got a little something for everyone and has a pitch-perfect soundtrack. It's criminally underappreciated so I'd encourage anyone looking to fill a spot in the challenge to give this a look. I still don't quite know why writer/director Sean Byrne hasn't seemed to work on anything since this movie.

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
Blood Diner was insane. I haven't seen a friggin movie like that in a son of a bitch long time. I have to admire how they kept up the craziness and energy for seriously each and every minute of its 88 min run time. And this scene is the funniest thing I've ever seen in a horror movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_OP9IX4Ot0

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I've been doing this and just caught up today. So far I have

1. Trick R Treat- even though I just saw this for the first time two years ago, this has become a once a year tradition for me. As well as being a huge horror fan, I also just love Halloween and everything about it, so this movie really appeals to me. Also I love the trope reversal that happens in one of the stories. (not sure how we're treating spoilers here)
2. Never Sleep Again- This is probably the best documentary about a movie that I have ever seen. I had never seen any making of stuff about these films, so it was really cool to see how they did the effects. This led me to watching-
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street- As a child, I was always terrified of Freddy, so I haven't seen this one that much. The effects really hold up pretty well. I'm impressed.
4. Scream- I love this movie. I hadn't seen it in years, but I'm pretty surprised by how well it holds up.
5. Horns- I'm a big fan of the book. This adaptation is nuts. Daniel Radcliffe's performance is very believable.
6. Nightmare Before Christmas- I'm counting "halloween-themed" movies because I have seen so many horror that it's hard to find 31 good ones.
7. The Omen- This movie is creepy as hell. I'm not sure how I went so long without seeing it, but I'm glad that I did now.
8. Dawn of the Dead (original)- Another rewatch. Still enjoyable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Stone Tape does own like hell.

Amber Sweet posted:

I missed last night so tonight I figured I would watch a double feature. I chose The Last Exorcism (2010) and The Last Exorcism 2 (2013).

I REALLY enjoyed the first one, like, a lot. I really like found footage movies so I could be bias, but I thought it was fantastic. I loved the main character, despite him kinda being a con-artist.. well, sort of anyway, he DOES give people what they're looking for I thought he was just a super nice guy and obviously really cared about Nells' well being. I also thought this was a nice twist on the usual exorcist movies, and it DID have me questioning whether or not she was actually possessed until basically the last second.

The acting in this movie was really top notch. And being a found footage lover, it's real nice to see some top quality acting. I thought they all blew it out of the park, especially Nell. The ending wasn't that great but I don't think it ruined the entire movie or anything.

And ya know what? The second one was loving awesome too. It wasn't totally the same, not found footage.. not actually that many scares (mostly they were jump scares which I don't really care for), but unlike the first one, the ending was AWESOME. It actually brought the movie from "meh" territory, to "I loving love this." I can see that it might not be to every ones tastes, but I thought it was amazing. I was laughing and cheering when Nell drove away and everything was catching on fire around her, including the fire truck that was on its way to put out all the fires. I mean c'mon, HOW IS THAT NOT AWESOME??. I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting total poo poo.

I'm not totally surprised it didn't get great reviews... but to be honest, I don't take reviews too seriously when it comes to horror movies. They all generally get terrible reviews. I don't look at plot holes or question characters actions too much in horror, or focus on things like that. There's only one thing I look at when it comes to whether or not I like a horror movie: did I enjoy watching it? Did I find it entertaining? If the answer is yes, it's a good horror movie in my books.

So in all, I'm very happy with tonights choices. I recommend both, especially for us horror fanatics.

This makes me so happy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm gonna find The Stone Tape right goddamn now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Used to be on YT, but I believe it's been released on DVD now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Used to be on YT, but I believe it's been released on DVD now.

We're good. ;)

• Locked thread