Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Franco Potente posted:

I opened the month (my favourite of all months) with The Lords of Salem. I think its foreboding sense of autumnul doom is the perfect way to kick off the month. I'm not a Rob Zombie fan at all, but I find this movie to be a refreshing departure from his other stuff: Sherri Moon Zombie does a great job in the lead role, all the other characters are strong, and the sense of atmosphere is built up really well, so that when poo poo gets nuts, it feels earned rather than gratuitous. Plus, that song is haunting. Great way to kick off the month!

I saw this a year ago and just picked it up at the local library for a rewatch. It doesn't feel anything like his other films, in my opinion. "Foreboding sense of autumnal doom" is a great way to put it. This is one of my favorite modern horror movies. It has great cinematography, and something that too many newer films of the genre lack: likeable characters. Sheri Moon Zombie's best role. Also, the setting is great. It made me want to move to Salem but where I live in southern Maine isn't really much different...

I watched VHS last night and it's one of the best found footage horror movies I've seen. The anthology aspect was well executed and even the weakest entry at least kept my interest. The first 'found' video, with the "I like you" demon succubus lady, was fantastic.

Just finished You're Next and wow, been a while since I saw a newer slasher film this well made. Starts off slow but when it picks up, has a decent pace with some genuinely interesting twists in the story. Crazy-Aussie-survivalist-protagonist seemed a little too good at staying alive but I'm probably just used to far too many people in these sorts of movies act completely brain dead.

Also, a lot of people will probably watch Detention this month thinking it's a horror movie. You definitely should watch it, and it certainly contains elements of horror, but it sort of defies genre...the Netflix description is laughably inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Watched the 1956 version of The Bad Seed last night at a friend's house. I'm trying to watch more classic films, and wow, I'm glad I saw this one...it wasn't what I was expecting. Patty McCormack was very creepy as a sociopathic young girl, but the rather monologue-heavy roles of her mother and classmate's mother, really drew me in and filled me with dread. There is a LOT of talking in this movie (it was adapted from a play) but the acting is top notch and I'm glad I saw it. It's not on streaming but if you are interested in classic horror it's worth a watch. There seemed to be a lot of symbolism in the film that I'm not savvy enough when it comes to film to dissect, but as someone who majored in psychology, I thought it was interesting that the landlord, who was constantly spouting off psychoanalytic theories, was the most trusting of the psychopathic little girl. Definitely unlike any of the modern horror films I've seen lately...or any movie in general...the dialogue was intense.

:spooky:5 out of 5 spooky pumpkins:spooky:

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
So far:

1. V/H/S - B+. One of the better found footage movies I have seen. The first 'found' film is the best.
2. You're Next - B. Interesting take on the traditional slasher film.
3. The Cabin in the Woods - B+. Funny, likeable characters.
4. Cabin Fever: Patient Zero - F ah hahaha so loving bad don't bother.
5. Several episodes of 'Are you Afraid of the Dark' on Amazon Prime - A, for nostalgic reasons although I think it's held up really well and contains elements of horror that make it compelling even as an adult.
6. The Bad Seed - A. Intense, great dialogue. Also seemed quite deep from a psychoanalytic perspective.
7. The Den - C+. Would have gotten a better score but the execution of a neat idea was weak, given every character in the film besides the protaganist...

Next I'm watching The Conjuring. I hear it's good...

If I liked The Bad Seed, which came out in 1956, are there other cerebral horror films from that era I would appreciate?

• Locked thread